Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 3363 Old 02-27-2007, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post

Great thread. I don't have any home theater equipment and was going to go the HTIB route. But, I have a great pair of Bose 501 speakers. Would these make good left, right front speakers for a system? If so, all I would need to buy would be a receiver, dvd(upconvert) a center speaker and two rear speakers. I also have a superb pair of original Bose 901 speakers in the closet that haven't been used in years but these would not work in my room. Uless I could use those for the front speakers and the 501's for the rear speakes. Then I would just need a center speaker and a sub-woofer. Would a good receiver be able to drive the four Bose speakers? Would it not sound right? Just asking as I have no idea on what works and what doesn't. Thanks.

Dude,

If you have a reciever then try it. Since you already have the speakers then the only way to know is for you to try it and see if you like it.

Aknot - "You asked for a case, we brought you a case."

Zorg - "A case with FOUR STONES in it! Not one or two or three, but four! Four stones! What the hell am I supposed to do with an empty case?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 3363 Old 02-27-2007, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post

Great thread. I don't have any home theater equipment and was going to go the HTIB route. But, I have a great pair of Bose 501 speakers. Would these make good left, right front speakers for a system? If so, all I would need to buy would be a receiver, dvd(upconvert) a center speaker and two rear speakers. I also have a superb pair of original Bose 901 speakers in the closet that haven't been used in years but these would not work in my room. Uless I could use those for the front speakers and the 501's for the rear speakes. Then I would just need a center speaker and a sub-woofer. Would a good receiver be able to drive the four Bose speakers? Would it not sound right? Just asking as I have no idea on what works and what doesn't. Thanks.

I would do some research both locally and on some auction sites like Ebay, etc and see if you can get a general idea of what the 901s and 501s are going for. Bose is a well known and respected name with the unknowing and if they are in good shape the resale value should be up there.

I wouldn't even start to try to combine a center with those, your speakers need to be tonally matched and it's doubful you'll find anything plus there are much bettter HT speakers out there for less cost so once you auction off or sell the 901s and 501s you should have a nice budget to put together a very nice seperate system.
post #33 of 3363 Old 02-27-2007, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwfiveoh View Post

Dude,

If you have a reciever then try it. Since you already have the speakers then the only way to know is for you to try it and see if you like it.

Yes, I could do that. But I was wondering how powerful a receiver I would need to drive the Bose speakers? What would be a good center speaker and sub-woofer to match up with the Bose?
post #34 of 3363 Old 02-27-2007, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 View Post

I would do some research both locally and on some auction sites like Ebay, etc and see if you can get a general idea of what the 901s and 501s are going for. Bose is a well known and respected name with the unknowing and if they are in good shape the resale value should be up there.

I wouldn't even start to try to combine a center with those, your speakers need to be tonally matched and it's doubful you'll find anything plus there are much bettter HT speakers out there for less cost so once you auction off or sell the 901s and 501s you should have a nice budget to put together a very nice seperate system.

Sorry. I didn't see this post before I responded before. I have no intention of selling the Bose. Even if I can't use them for a home theater system. I figured if they could be used for this, why not? I suppose I could go to BB or CC and ask someone there if the Bose would work with a particular receiver. But I'm not sure if they would really know. That's why I'm asking the experts here.
post #35 of 3363 Old 02-27-2007, 04:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
The speakers will work individually (as long as the impedance is correct, etc.), but if you don't get a matched center channel speaker, the front three will sound funny, like a disjoint in panning sounds, or different levels of tone, etc.

If you're insistent on using the Bose, do some research to see if they make a center channel that will match up with your current models.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #36 of 3363 Old 02-27-2007, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
like Tulpa said, the receiver is not the problem, its finding a matching center speaker. if you're insistent on using the bose, finding a tonally matched center speaker might be difficult, if not impossible. you might want to consider starting over, or using the bose as your surrounds.

"That's right Mr. Martini...there is an Easter Bunny".
post #37 of 3363 Old 02-28-2007, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For that I'm thankful to you.

i won't quote the whole thing, but thanks...i think.

post #38 of 3363 Old 02-28-2007, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-star View Post

i won't quote the whole thing, but thanks...i think.

You are and were right...I would have never liked the HTIB.

Zorg - "A case with FOUR STONES in it! Not one or two or three, but four! Four stones! What the hell am I supposed to do with an empty case?"
post #39 of 3363 Old 02-28-2007, 07:43 AM

G-star,

What do you think about the elemental designs subs? They seem like a good buy and the boxes are sturdy and the amps are powerful. They are just having issues keeping up with demand at this point - on the AVS elemental forum I think it's up to 3 months at this point. For the person that would want a decent amount of bump on the low end and a reasonable price - these subs would seem like a decent choice.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...41#post9889441

post #40 of 3363 Old 02-28-2007, 09:57 AM

I am upgrading from a cheapo Bose Acoustimass 600 which was fine for the apartment bedroom it came out of, but the new plasma in our ~1500cf living room deserves better.
I just got a REL Q150E sub at a blow out price for a floor model ($249) and I would like to pair it with a set of Velodyne Front Rows.
Does anyone have experience with the Q150E? Will it match well with the 4" drivers of the Front Rows? How will the Q compare to a BIC H-100?
Does anyone favor a better set 5.0 set for even a hundred bucks more?
I know the Mirage Nanaosat 5-piece system is available for $299 at Vanns.
Advice would be appreciated.
post #41 of 3363 Old 02-28-2007, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidPalace View Post

I am upgrading from a cheapo Bose Acoustimass 600 which was fine for the apartment bedroom it came out of, but the new plasma in our ~1500cf living room deserves better.
I just got a REL Q150E sub at a blow out price for a floor model ($249) and I would like to pair it with a set of Velodyne Front Rows.
Does anyone have experience with the Q150E? Will it match well with the 4" drivers of the Front Rows? How will the Q compare to a BIC H-100?
Does anyone favor a better set 5.0 set for even a hundred bucks more?
I know the Mirage Nanaosat 5-piece system is available for $299 at Vanns.
Advice would be appreciated.

FYI...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=810254

post #42 of 3363 Old 02-28-2007, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

G-star,

What do you think about the elemental designs subs? They seem like a good buy and the boxes are sturdy and the amps are powerful. They are just having issues keeping up with demand at this point - on the AVS elemental forum I think it's up to 3 months at this point. For the person that would want a decent amount of bump on the low end and a reasonable price - these subs would seem like a decent choice.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...41#post9889441

while pretty much all of my knowledge about them comes from the thread you referenced, they seem to be a good bargain. they are not as time-tested as some of the other ID brands like SVS and HSU, but there seem to be some happy owners out there.

a 12" sub that has a -3dB point at 18Hz for $350 sounds almost too good to be true. i would love to hear one myself to see how the SQ stacks up against the giants of the sub world. nonetheless, these two guys should be included for the budget HT people:

A2-250: http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/pro...roducts_id=406
A2-300: http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/pro...roducts_id=407

post #43 of 3363 Old 03-01-2007, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echomalinois View Post

don't forget the Velodyne front row system, it seems to be pretty popular as an alternative these days.

Just a thought to those looking for a new system on a budget. Don't compromise! Save up and get the best that you can the first time even if that means not getting a full 5.1 to start with. I set up my first ht system 7-8 months ago and have replaced every thing but the receiver. If you do it 2 times it will cost you 2 times the money.

Question for everyone, how's the quality of the Velodyne speakers? I found the 5 piece (front and satellites) CHT front row system on sale pretty cheap. If so, what's a good woofer and receiver to pair with them? For the receiver I'd want HDMI/Component (video and audio), optical audio in, etc...the usual.

"To do a 'Kabob' you have to be both a tease, and a cockblocker. So the person you 'Kabob' gets his/her hopes up only to end up being severely disappointed." -jammybastard

Xbox Live GT - I Kabob I
post #44 of 3363 Old 03-01-2007, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabob983 View Post

Question for everyone, how's the quality of the Velodyne speakers? I found the 5 piece (front and satellites) CHT front row system on sale pretty cheap. If so, what's a good woofer and receiver to pair with them? For the receiver I'd want HDMI/Component (video and audio), optical audio in, etc...the usual.

the velo's seem to be a popular option around here, there's a long thread on them in the speaker forum. they seem to be a tough deal to beat.

the best sub to pair with them would depend on your budget. again the Bic H-100 seems to be a popular choice for about $230, but there are several options. internet-direct brands usually offer the most bang for the buck.

HDMI switching is a luxury on receivers right now, and you'll pay a premium for it. IMO, its better to buy a less expensive receiver and run your HDMI cables from the source directly to the display. use digital audio cables from your sources to the receiver for all the surround processing.

post #45 of 3363 Old 03-01-2007, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
G-star, nice thread...great job

For those of you who've been pissed off by his helpful suggestions regarding initial HT purchases...do a search.

You should check out some of his initial heated posts regarding similar suggestions from other HTIB upgraders at the beginning. You might get a kick

Then go back about a year and see some of mine. JohnRinLA used to piss me off royally ...for about 4 months when I checked it out.

This is the perfect place for a thread like this. It shouldn't detract those who truly need the benefits of an all in one solution, but many of us want more on a budget. The Speaker, Amp/Receiver and Subwoofer forums can be intimidating and not on point for many newbies. This is a great place to learn and find out if you're going to be hooked or not.

I've spent alot of time in this forum doing the same thing as G-star, not much recently, but have gotten the same reaction, alot of positive and some flaming negative, but I never took the time to organize and reach out as he has.

Kudos...

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #46 of 3363 Old 03-02-2007, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

For those of you who've been pissed off by his helpful suggestions regarding initial HT purchases...do a search.

You should check out some of his initial heated posts regarding similar suggestions from other HTIB upgraders at the beginning. You might get a kick

LOL, ron always speaks the truth. his advice was helpful back then and it is now. i guess you could say we both became converts after "seeing the light".

the purpose of this thread was not to sh*t on anybody with an HTIB, rather, to try and create a central place for those in the separates boat. with so much useful info scattered around these forums in different places, i think it makes good sense.

post #47 of 3363 Old 03-02-2007, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

....This is the perfect place for a thread like this....The Speaker, Amp/Receiver and Subwoofer forums can be intimidating and not on point for many newbies....

Ron, you've said a mouthful in both of these posts - this is a perfect place for the thread and I've never seen a bigger alphabete soup than on these threads - and i live in DC - the home of acronyms. I'm lost much of the time in those threads just trying to reaclimate myself to all those acronyms.

BTW, FWIW I now know what a LFE is EOM. {BG}

post #48 of 3363 Old 03-04-2007, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

i found this in the subwoofer forum, an experienced member helped his buddy set up an unnamed HTIB, and tested the subs performance with the Avia calibration disc. from the description, it is pretty clear that it was an Onkyo sub from the 790 system:

Quote:

I helped a buddy set up his fancy new HTIB last night. I ran through Avia test disc and after playing with getting all of the speakers calibrated, I moved to the sub. When running the sweeps, this 230W 10 sub hit a cliff at 40hz, by 30hz it was silent until around 26hz or so it started to just rattle and make some awful noises, it was silent by about 23hz again. My old $100 10" 150W sub would eat it for lunch--despite it being rated as one of best HTIB systems you can get. I gues my original thought that that isn't saying much turned out to be true. I was suprised at how loud the little speakers could be, though. This was slightly surprising as another friend of ours has a system one step down from this one and does nothing but raves about how good the 8" sub is. Apparently, he is one of the lucky ones who can live with that ignorant bliss.

After I had spent an hour or so on calibrating everything as best I could with what I had to work with, I put in a few of my favorite scenes just to see how it sounds. Well needless to say movies just are the same thing without the lower frequencies present. Ch 5 of WOW wasn't even a shell of its former self. The THX logo really lacked depth, explosions were just sound with no feeling. I guess I have become spoiled and really kind of forgot how most everyone else watches movies--its quite depressing and boring with no involvement or feeling.

upgrading my onkyo sub to something better (SVS PB10-ISD) was what opened my eyes to what real HT was. the sub is so important to an impactful HT experience, and it is often the weak point of so many HTIB's, and i think the onkyo 790 sub is one of the better HTIB subs out there!

so i strongly recommend investing in a good sub, even if it is at the $200 price point...it will make a BIG difference. objective data as outlined above clearly indicates just what you're missing by not going with a capable sub.

post #49 of 3363 Old 03-05-2007, 07:27 AM

G-Star, I just wanted to say this thread is a great idea! I'm sure you've already saved many from buying a HTIB.
post #50 of 3363 Old 03-08-2007, 06:19 AM

To keep everyone happy they should just rename the HTIB forum Home Theater On a Budget HTIB/HTOB. That is what HTIB is anyway, this is just another option.

I am thankful for seeing this and the other threads like it on this forum because I just got my big screen and am a noob on a budget, so I went immediatly to the HTIB forum to decide what to get. The other forums for sound were too intimidating. I am not an audiophile but wanted a good sounding system. This is working out great.
post #51 of 3363 Old 03-08-2007, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Future proof budget receivers

to listen to TrueHD or DTS-HD, you need a receiver with certain capabilities. The cream of the crop of these receivers are way out of the price point of this thread, but there's a couple that are applicable. heres a short rundown on the features of these receivers

Panasonic SA-XR57 ($279)

HDMI inputs: 1
1080p over HDMI: No
Accepts LPCM over HDMI: Yes
Accepts LCPM over analog out: Yes
Does PLIIx on 5.1 sources over HDMI: No
Does PLIIx on 5.1 sources over Analog: No

Onkyo TX-SR604 ($399)

HDMI inputs: 2
1080p over HDMI: Yes
Accepts LPCM over HDMI: Yes
Accepts LCPM over analog out: Yes
Does PLIIx on 5.1 sources over HDMI: No
Does PLIIx on 5.1 sources over Analog: No

Checkout the respective threads of each receiver to get more info, but the SA-XR57, and the velodyne speakers could make a mean 5.0 combo for only $479 (would still need a sub tho).

I don't have a receiver yet since this is my 1st HT, but for the price I don't think you can go wrong.
post #52 of 3363 Old 03-12-2007, 09:20 PM

I went out and bought the Yamaha HTR-5740 HTIB a few years ago and would like to upgrade the speakers. The receiver is 90 watts by 6 channels. Everything I know about home theater is through word of mouth followed by some research. The buzz words I keep hearing are Klipsch and JBL. I don't mind dropping a little dough because I'll be spreading it out over some time but would like to keep it under or around $1000. My plan is to piece the system together down stairs and then move the HTIB to the TV room upstairs after I get the speaker and a new receiver(final piece of the puzzle because my yamaha speakers are crap right now and the 5740 will do for the time being). What is your take on Klipsch and JBL? Me and wife are big time movie people and do our electronics shopping at best buy. This is a great thread for people like me and just what I was looking for. Any feed back or suggestions would be most appriciated. Thanks, in advance.
post #53 of 3363 Old 03-13-2007, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunfighter8 View Post

What is your take on Klipsch and JBL?

both good budget speakers, though different sounding. many (if not all...i'm not sure) klipsch speakers use horn tweeters, which produce a different sound than conventional dome type tweeters. i used to own a pair of JBL's from circa 1992, and they served me well for over 10 years. try and listen to both and see what you like better.

your receiver is fine for now, and would probably be the last thing to replace. for the sub, i would recommend internet-direct brands starting around $200+ for a taste of real bass. IIRC, the yamaha HTIB sub is passive, so a good powered ID sub will really open your eyes.

good luck on your quest and keep us updated.

post #54 of 3363 Old 03-13-2007, 10:53 AM

All,

I have been a lurker on here for quite a while. And I thought this is a good place to chime in with my opinion. I had read and gathered information for almost a year before starting to purchase my HT system. I came first to the HTIB forum because I like both uniformity of design and a good price point which is what HTIB offers. Gstar and others posts have been very informative. I was looking at the Onkyo 770 (at the time). After much reading in the forums, I found that the majority opinion was while the receiver was good the speakers we not on par. So when my old receiver died, I purchased the Onkyo 504. The next issue was the 15yo Fisher speakers I have. I again turned to the forums for guidance. And while looking for budget systems, I remembered Athena Speakers beening a very popular pairing with the Onkyo 504. I recently purchased at auction two AS-F1's two AS-B2's and a AS-C1 for 450 after shipping. So for 520 I have a 5.0 (soon to be a 7.1) surround system. So for just a little more than a good HTIB system, you can purchase a wonderful HT system, but patience is required to research and learn what (and when) to buy and what not to purchase. I have always believed that purchasing the best item only once is better than buying something lesser and then having to replace that with the best item later anyway.

FWIW

Lingam
post #55 of 3363 Old 03-13-2007, 02:27 PM

I posted this in anouther post but it seemed to fit here also. Frys.com has polk R150 bookshelvs for $49.99 per pair right now. Match 2 sets up with the CSi25 $99.00 center, and a cheap polk PSW10 at $199.00. then find even a super cheap $200.00 reciever for a package total of $600.00. This will pound the snot out of any HTIB i have ever seen
post #56 of 3363 Old 03-13-2007, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig-Sauer View Post

I posted this in anouther post but it seemed to fit here also. Frys.com has polk R150 bookshelvs for $49.99 per pair right now.

good find! that's a good price for those polks...one could build a 5.0 system here for $200. excellent deal.

post #57 of 3363 Old 03-14-2007, 10:44 AM

I came to this forum to figure out what HTIB I should buy on my budget (about $300). After reading this thread, I am rethinking that. I am (and most HTIB customers are) a noob to the audio world. So, how about reforming the awesome information in this thread and catering to the audience that this forum was created for (beginner HTIB people).

I have read every post in this thread (including the flames sadly) and there are a lot of components that are being recommended. But as a self-admitted noob, I do not know which components go together. I am sure there is such a thing as matching.

So, put together "HTIB solutions" for each given budget. Please include a DVD player.

Example:

Budget total: $300
Onyko 504s reform from buyonyko.com $169
xyz sub $80 from
2 speakers $50

Budget total: $500

Budget total $1000

My plan is to take maybe something in the $500 range and buy it in pieces. Start with a DVD and 2 speakers and go from there. (I've got a $50 gift cert. and $40 coupon from Circuit City that expires at the end of the month.)

Do this, and you have created a thread for this forum (and me)
post #58 of 3363 Old 03-14-2007, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
That's a good idea, but I dont think a dvd player is really needed to be included mainly because dvd is video
post #59 of 3363 Old 03-14-2007, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdmonkey View Post

So, put together "HTIB solutions" for each given budget. Please include a DVD player.

Example:

Budget total: $300

Budget total: $500

Budget total $1000

i kicked around this idea at first, but didn't go that route b/c speakers are subjective, and good deals come and go all the time. so a good $500 solution might not be around two weeks from now. and there are just too many good options once you go north of $500, i wouldn't want to inadvertently box people in to a few solutions.

but i hear what you're saying...you need a jumping off point. that starts with a solid receiver. the 7.1 onkyo 504 for $169 refurbished is probably the best deal going in receivers.

the velodyne front row 5.0 system will get you to 5.0 with quality satellite speakers for another $200. some might opt to go for a pair of quality bookshelf speakers for about the same amount of $$, if he/she has the patience to build their system slowly. this is what i would do if starting over, as there are excellent budget speakers available from polk, athena, AV123, SVS, etc.

for the sub, there are a couple of decent performers for < $200, like the AV123 x-sub, and the athena P-4000. if you just want a sub that is a step above HTIB quality but not much else, the dayton 10" from partsexpress will do the job for $125. the king of the ~ $200 subs though, is the Bic H-100, which is significantly better than any comparable HTIB sub for about $230 from the authorized ebay seller.

a good sub is the heart of a budget HT. the taste for bass is quite addictive, once you've heard what an exceptional sub can do. these subs though, are more for the $500+ crowd.

as for the DVD players, they are basically a dime a dozen. you can even get a brand name upconverting player for ~ $70, so i'll leave those discussions to the experts in the DVD forum.

take time, learn, ask questions. you'll be glad you did in the end.

post #60 of 3363 Old 03-15-2007, 07:33 AM

Just came across another pretty good receiver deal.
HK 145 $183 shipped: http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-...3969234&sr=8-1
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page