***Official HTIB Alternatives Thread*** - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 3363 Old 05-04-2007, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't know if you looked at this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=ARXP62

This is a very in depth review and favorable comparison to B&W speakers.

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 3363 Old 05-04-2007, 11:26 AM

Hi, experts,
I am total new to this HTIB/HTIB alternatives thing. I am debating should I get Onkyo 790 or just it's receiver and micra 6 as I saw micra 6 is on clearance in Target) since everyone said 790's speaker is not on par with its receiver? Also, is KEF F15 worth buying (target clearance as well) Thanks a lot.
post #633 of 3363 Old 05-04-2007, 01:59 PM

I am looking for a good basic home theater system that will last me for a few years. Based on user reviews and some of the other posts on this thread, I have come up with getting a Onyko TX-SR604 and Polk Audio RM6750 5.1 speakers. I can get both of these at Amazon for around $650. The 17'X20' room I am putting the HDTV and HT in is already wired for 5.1 and I don't have a good place for the 2 additional surround speakers.

Can anyone give me some feedback on on this receiver and the speaker set? I really know almost nothing about audio and want to make the most of my new purchase.

Thanks!
post #634 of 3363 Old 05-04-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac556 View Post

I am looking for a good basic home theater system that will last me for a few years. Based on user reviews and some of the other posts on this thread, I have come up with getting a Onyko TX-SR604 and Polk Audio RM6750 5.1 speakers. I can get both of these at Amazon for around $650. The 17'X20' room I am putting the HDTV and HT in is already wired for 5.1 and I don't have a good place for the 2 additional surround speakers.

Can anyone give me some feedback on on this receiver and the speaker set? I really know almost nothing about audio and want to make the most of my new purchase.

Thanks!

The Polk system is treating me well, so far... and this is in an open room where only half of the space is used for HT. Is there any particular reason why you need HDMI right now? How many HDMI devices do you have? The 604 can cost around $200 more than the 504 and it only has HDMI switching, not upconversion. You can same some cash and get an HDMI switch for about $50-60. (for example)
post #635 of 3363 Old 05-04-2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm2501 View Post

The Polk system is treating me well, so far... and this is in an open room where only half of the space is used for HT. Is there any particular reason why you need HDMI right now? How many HDMI devices do you have? The 604 can cost around $200 more than the 504 and it only has HDMI switching, not upconversion. You can same some cash and get an HDMI switch for about $50-60. (for example)

It has more than HDMI switching as you are saying, at least I believe that is the case. I am a total noob when it comes to home theater, but the 604 has the ability to play linear uncompressed PCM audio, which I believe is only possible via HDMI (Blu-ray/PS3 utilizes this format). Yres it doesn't upconvert, but in this case, there is no need to. I don't know... I am still trying to understand this stuff.
post #636 of 3363 Old 05-04-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac556 View Post

Thanks!

I was pretty much looking at the same stuff you are. If you can wait a bit (a month or so), this years model of the receiver you are looking at, the Onkyo TX-SR605... has many more HDMI features (HDMI 1.3, upconverting and decoding)... and is selling preordered at JR for $399 (not on website as it isn't out, you ave to call and order over telephone. Only $30 more than Amazon. (

(Thank you Mrgribbles who informed me of the same thing):
post #637 of 3363 Old 05-04-2007, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshigashi View Post

I was pretty much looking at the same stuff you are. If you can wait a bit (a month or so), this years model of the receiver you are looking at, the Onkyo TX-SR605... has many more HDMI features (HDMI 1.3, upconverting and decoding)... and is selling preordered at JR for $399 (not on website as it isn't out, you ave to call and order over telephone. Only $30 more than Amazon. (

(Thank you Mrgribbles who informed me of the same thing):

Your welcome jshigashi, one thing additional to think about.

ac556, you have a good size room to work with. Both the 604 & 605 are 90 watt/channel rated (US rating system). If you have a fair amount of sound absorbing material in the room such as soft furniture, carpeting, draperies, etc. and you like your sound loud, 90 watts may be a stretch. One option that may help is to look for speakers with high efficiency (sensitivity)ratings, maybe something in the 90's. That will help offset the relatively low power output. Watts seem to cost money, so for some more bucks you can get the same features in a different receiver with more output. Hope this helps.

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints.
post #638 of 3363 Old 05-04-2007, 07:34 PM

If you can swing it, I'd go with the ARXP62's.

My setup:
Mains: ARXP62's
Center: ARXP242C
Surrounds: 3 - ARVP52

I can only run a 6.1 speaker setup due to the way the room is setup. I originally started out with a 5.1 system of all ARVP52's and the ARXP242C, but I felt I needed a bit more. Kind of felt like I had a lot of low thump from my sub, and really good mid to high, but just missing that mid-low range. Does that make sense? Partly that is due to the ARVP52's replaced 3-way JBL fronts with 6.5" woofers, so maybe I was used to having more low range from my fronts. If all you are going to do is Movies, then you can probably get away with the cheaper alternative, but for music I think you will be disappointed. I wouldn't buy 2 more sets of ARVP52's. Either go cheap with the KLH's with the idea of upgrading later or go all in.

FYI: There is a guy on Ebay that sells the ARXP62's for 80 dollars with about 25 bucks in shipping. This makes them about 20 dollars cheaper than JR since they are 100 bucks and 25 dollars shipping. mbquart I believe is his ID (and NO I am not him, I just bought my ARXP62's and ARXP242C's from him).
post #639 of 3363 Old 05-05-2007, 03:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Don't know if this has been mentioned lately, but - Polk R50 $70 each + shipping - some suggest seeing if shipping is cheaper if you order 1 at a time or 2 at a time. Cherry only.
post #640 of 3363 Old 05-05-2007, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrowdy View Post

I spent the better part of the day today reading about surround speaker setups (hey work's been slow!), including 3 amazing presentations by Dr. Toole at Harmon International. All the links can be found in the HT Setup 101 thread linked in the first post. From what I gather 7.1 is not for everyone and it might behoove you to read up a little and decide whether it meets your needs based on listening preferences and room configuration.

I feel much better knowing that, in my current room configuration, the rear surrounds probably won't add much and might even detract from the listening experience.

Oh and as to the speaker-wire, check the updated links in the first post for details on gauge vs. run length.

D

Any wire thicker than 16 gauge is a waste of $$$. Check crutchfeld.com for verification.
post #641 of 3363 Old 05-05-2007, 08:11 AM

Quote:

Well I cashed in my fishbowl full of change for over $300 so I sprung for an Oppo 970HD upscaling DVD player. Everything I've read points to this being the last DVD player I'll need until Blu-ray/HDDVD. I also got a pair of Ominmount 20.0 wall mounts for the rear speakers. I'm gonna go ghetto and put my fronts on top of my old speakers for now (gimme a couple paychecks and I'll be purchasing some nice front stands!) unless the sound is noticeably bad for some reason.

All my cables are in the mail as well as the Harmony 550 universal remote. The speakers ship tomorrow and I pick up my TV on Thursday. The AVR is here already and running my old system right now. Oh and I found a cheap used copy of the Avia HT setup DVD.

Hopefully by this time next week I'll be posting pics and rave reviews of my phat new system. :-D

Get the Oppo 970HD for $119.99 no tax and free shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/cart/aws-m...MergeCart=True
post #642 of 3363 Old 05-05-2007, 08:16 AM

Quote:

Well I'm still an HT noob, but IMHO if you've already spent a couple grand on a projector, screen, receiver, installation, blah blah blah, an extra hundred or two for 7.1 seems like a good idea.

I have never heard 7.1 myself but it doesn't seem like a priority investment to me. I think the novelty of 5.1 will last for a bit, until 7.1 source becomes more ubiquitous at least. :-D But like I said, in your case, I think 7.1 is a valid choice....if you're gonna do it, do it right I say.

The 7.1 will insure that you don't have to scrap your 5.1 two years from now.
post #643 of 3363 Old 05-05-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveMeJebus View Post

Don't count on it. They gave me the two weeks answer as well... two weeks after they told me the exact same thing. For as much as I wanted em, I wasn't going to wait around for a month or two for AVS to retool it's Colombia warehouse.

Ended up cancelling the order a few days ago and ordering a pair of more expensive Polk Rti6. Really a bit annoying that AVS is so off the ball on this.

AVS NEEDS TO TALK TO AMAZON.COM
THEY ARE VERY VERY GOOD AT WHAT THEY DO.
post #644 of 3363 Old 05-05-2007, 04:18 PM

whoops....
post #645 of 3363 Old 05-05-2007, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrysDark View Post

whoops....

?
post #646 of 3363 Old 05-06-2007, 12:29 AM

i just recently bought the onkyo hts790 htib. Good for someone who knows something to know with HT. Well i was reading through this and decided that i will be switching the all the speakers and the sub of course. I want to start off by getting the front Athena AS-B1.2 or polk r150. Which would be better? I'm going to be getting the bic h-100. My room is small so it's about 12x 15. Any information would be good. Everybody has been very helpful to everybody else especially ron and g-stars( and all those i didn't say)
post #647 of 3363 Old 05-06-2007, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shindokie View Post

i just recently bought the onkyo hts790 htib. Good for someone who knows something to know with HT. Well i was reading through this and decided that i will be switching the all the speakers and the sub of course. I want to start off by getting the front Athena AS-B1.2 or polk r150. Which would be better? I'm going to be getting the bic h-100.

i've got the athenas, and they were a big step up from the onkyo speakers in terms of imaging, detail, and clarity. sturdy construction, heavier, and a nice two-tone design (i mean the color of the speakers)...you can immediately tell the difference in quality over the onkyo speakers.

the polks are supposedly nice as well, though i've never heard them. ron is the resident polk expert, maybe he will chime in. i think they are comparable to the athenas in sound quality, though i think they will be different in tone.

the Bic H-100 is a good choice at that pricepoint, you will be amazed at how much of an improvement over the stock onkyo sub you'll see, once you have it dialed in correctly. you might also want to check out the X-sub from AV123, which is about the same price and also a good performer.

be sure to post your impressions and pics once you've made the upgrades.

"That's right Mr. Martini...there is an Easter Bunny".
post #648 of 3363 Old 05-06-2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-star View Post

i've got the athenas, and they were a big step up from the onkyo speakers in terms of imaging, detail, and clarity. sturdy construction, heavier, and a nice two-tone design (i mean the color of the speakers)...you can immediately tell the difference in quality over the onkyo speakers.

the polks are supposedly nice as well, though i've never heard them. ron is the resident polk expert, maybe he will chime in. i think they are comparable to the athenas in sound quality, though i think they will be different in tone.

the Bic H-100 is a good choice at that pricepoint, you will be amazed at how much of an improvement over the stock onkyo sub you'll see, once you have it dialed in correctly. you might also want to check out the X-sub from AV123, which is about the same price and also a good performer.

be sure to post your impressions and pics once you've made the upgrades.

I will definitely post pics. I might end up buying the speakers today. I was checking on amazon and they had for 147. Free shipping and no tax. Don't know if that's a good deal. They also had one for 99 with 20 from an unknow dealer on amazon. Well another question to add would be... is it okay if I like a polk center and the two front athena. I was reading that there might be a slight lose of sound, clarity.. Etc.
post #649 of 3363 Old 05-06-2007, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-star View Post

ron is the resident polk expert, maybe he will chime in. i think they are comparable to the athenas in sound quality, though i think they will be different in tone.

I've never heard the Athenas either, but a friend of mine owned them and also played with my R15s for awhile. The Athenas are brighter than the Polks, but because of that probably image better...also punchier bass. The Polks are nicely detailed at reasonable volumes. They play loud, but tend to lose focus when run hard. Both are great HT speakers...might give the nod to the Athenas for music, if coupled with the right source. The Polks being cheaper are a better fit for those looking for an extremely good value. The Athenas are a great value as well at their price point.

(Talkiing about the bookshelves here...also the R15s not the R150s which have a larger cabinet and are said to be an improvement).

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #650 of 3363 Old 05-06-2007, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well another question to add would be... is it okay if I like a polk center and the two front athena. I was reading that there might be a slight lose of sound, clarity.. Etc.

no, you should stick with the same brand/series across the front. as sounds pan across the three speakers, the differences in tonal qualities might make things sound weird/off-balance. this is often referred to as "timbre matching".

audioadvisor is also a good source for athenas if you choose to go with them.

post #651 of 3363 Old 05-06-2007, 06:28 PM

Great thanks ron and star. Ill look into these. And ill most likely enfd up getting the athena. Since I'm mostly getting the athena fronts would would be a good center for it? Posted in the first page. Sorry for the questions.

I'm a pro in progress
post #652 of 3363 Old 05-06-2007, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

The Athenas are fine, but I think pairing them with HK or Marantz might cut some of the perceived brightness, especially if you have hardwood floors or reflective surfaces. Yamaha receivers, I've been told, can be a bad combination with bright speakers.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #653 of 3363 Old 05-06-2007, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

The Athenas are fine, but I think pairing them with HK or Marantz might cut some of the perceived brightness, especially if you have hardwood floors or reflective surfaces. Yamaha receivers, I've been told, can be a bad combination with bright speakers.

Ohh I have the onkyo 504 (ht-790) receiver and I'm on carpet. My set up for now is gaming and movies. I'm going to be buying the oppo soon as well. If money only grew out of trees :'(
post #654 of 3363 Old 05-06-2007, 07:37 PM

Quote:

I will definitely post pics. I might end up buying the speakers today. I was checking on amazon and they had for 147. Free shipping and no tax. Don't know if that's a good deal. They also had one for 99 with 20 from an unknow dealer on amazon. Well another question to add would be... is it okay if I like a polk center and the two front athena. I was reading that there might be a slight lose of sound, clarity.. Etc.

Check out pricgrabber.com for pricing
post #655 of 3363 Old 05-06-2007, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Since I'm mostly getting the athena fronts would would be a good center for it? Posted in the first page. Sorry for the questions.

I'm a pro in progress

check out the athena AS-C1.2:

Athena AS-C1.2

post #656 of 3363 Old 05-06-2007, 09:07 PM

well cool. i was able to find the center and front for about 262 with shipping. I'm off to buy them. thanks g_star. iw ill set the mutha up and then post the pics. Don't make fun of the t.v i only work at a coffeeshop
post #657 of 3363 Old 05-07-2007, 10:14 AM

I was pretty close to buying an HTIB, but instead of going that route, I think I am going to buy a speaker package and separate receiver. Just looking for some feedback on how this would be (to go along with my Samsung 1080P DLP tv (5087) and my PS3/blu-ray player). I don't like things really loud, but do like a nice clean sound... that being said, I am not an audiophile by any means and am a noob to home audio for the most part. Here's what I am looking at:

Onkyo 605 receiver (preordered of course).
Polk RM6750 speaker set, +2 extra speakers (same as the rest) to make it 7.1

Any feedback (negative or positive) would be appreciated. One thing I noticed is that the center and main speakers seem pretty small compared to a lot of set-ups out there, even for HTIB's. The mains, and all the surrounds are all the same speaker, and the center is only slightly larger. I know that size doens't always matter, but like I said... it seems like a lot of sets have bigger mains than the surrounds. I know the sub is small, but I am not a huge booming bass type of guy and I don't want to shake the house.

Right now the total is around $750. If anyone can meet close to that budget and feels they have better suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.
post #658 of 3363 Old 05-07-2007, 10:50 AM

You should seriously consider the HT-S790. It is an excellent system made by a respected company. Quality all the way.
post #659 of 3363 Old 05-07-2007, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshigashi View Post

I was pretty close to buying an HTIB, but instead of going that route, I think I am going to buy a speaker package and separate receiver. Just looking for some feedback on how this would be (to go along with my Samsung 1080P DLP tv (5087) and my PS3/blu-ray player). I don't like things really loud, but do like a nice clean sound... that being said, I am not an audiophile by any means and am a noob to home audio for the most part. Here's what I am looking at:

Onkyo 605 receiver (preordered of course).
Polk RM6750 speaker set, +2 extra speakers (same as the rest) to make it 7.1

Any feedback (negative or positive) would be appreciated. One thing I noticed is that the center and main speakers seem pretty small compared to a lot of set-ups out there, even for HTIB's. The mains, and all the surrounds are all the same speaker, and the center is only slightly larger. I know that size doens't always matter, but like I said... it seems like a lot of sets have bigger mains than the surrounds. I know the sub is small, but I am not a huge booming bass type of guy and I don't want to shake the house.

Right now the total is around $750. If anyone can meet close to that budget and feels they have better suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

If you like satelites the RMs are good, better as you move up the chain to the 10s and 20s, but size does matter. Cabinet volume and build design, as well as, driver/tweeter/crossover plays a large part in how the midrange and mid-bass sounds. A good sub that plays well to 120hz can alleviate this. I'm not trying to discourage, just explain that you'll get more with a bookshelf speaker with a matching center...especially in the front soundstage. That being said, those Polks will outperform the Onkyo by a wide margin (sorry flags )

post #660 of 3363 Old 05-07-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

If you like satelites the RMs are good, better as you move up the chain to the 10s and 20s, but size does matter. Cabinet volume and build design, as well as, driver/tweeter/crossover plays a large part in how the midrange and mid-bass sounds. A good sub that plays well to 120hz can alleviate this. I'm not trying to discourage, just explain that you'll get more with a bookshelf speaker with a matching center...especially in the front soundstage. That being said, those Polks will outperform the Onkyo by a wide margin (sorry flags )

Anything will outperform anything if you spend enough money.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page