Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 3363 Old 03-15-2007, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdmonkey View Post

So, put together "HTIB solutions" for each given budget. Please include a DVD player.

Example:

Budget total: $300

Budget total: $500

Budget total $1000

In the $500 range I put the following system together and I am very happy with the results and performance out of the box. The system has the ability fill the room with sound and produce good bass when played loud, but it also performs well at lower volumes. Low volume is important to me especially when my daughter has gone to bed. I wouldn't hesitate to buy this setup again if I had to do it over.

refurbished Oknyo 504 receiver - $159 (shoponkyo.com)
Polk R15 (front and surround) - 2 pair @ $50 pair (pick these over the R150s because I wanted to wall mount them. (frys.com)
Polk Csi25 (center)- $70 (frys.com)
Velodyne Vx-10 (sub) - $159 (6ave.com)
Miscellaneous cables - $50 (monoprice.com and lowes)

My total system price including shipping is $558. Next on the list is to get a SPL from radio shack and fine tune the system. I already had a progressive scan DVD player so I didn't need one, but I agree that it would be considered a video component just like the TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 3363 Old 03-15-2007, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
In the $600 range I have this:

Onkyo refurb 504 - $150
Velodyne CHT Front row speakers(5 peice) - $210
Bic H-100 sub - $230

Cables - $30 from monoprice/lowes.

Above one beats any HTIB out there in that price range. I listen this at -10 for movies and it rocks.
post #63 of 3363 Old 03-19-2007, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Guys,

In regards to Velodyne CHT Front row speakers, how are you mounting it?

Any back mounting points or do you have to build a mini shelf for it?

Thanks,
Tony
post #64 of 3363 Old 03-19-2007, 05:56 PM

I am looking at the following options for a 5.1 setup for about $800. What are your thoughts? Should I go in a different direction all together for the money and use?

4x Athena AS B1.2 $240
1x Athena AS C2.1 $150
1x HSU vtf-2 mk2 $400
subtotal $790

4X AV123 x-ls $440
1x AV123 x-cs $140
1x BIC H-100 $240
subtotal $820

Receiver
Onkyo TX-SR674

Use
90% Movies and Sports

Small room that does have an open stair case on 1 side
15x15x8

thanks,

YoungB
Nashville, TN
post #65 of 3363 Old 03-19-2007, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungB View Post

I am looking at the following options for a 5.1 setup for about $800. What are your thoughts? Should I go in a different direction all together for the money and use?

4x Athena AS B1.2 $240
1x Athena AS C2.1 $150
1x HSU vtf-2 mk2 $400
subtotal $790

4X AV123 x-ls $440
1x AV123 x-cs $140
1x BIC H-100 $240
subtotal $820

Receiver
Onkyo TX-SR674

Use
90% Movies and Sports

Small room that does have an open stair case on 1 side
15x15x8

thanks,

YoungB
Nashville, TN

What do you like, a bright detailed sound or a warm detailed sound. I've heard the XL-S speakers and they are a hell of a bargain, excellent music and HT speakers. The Athena's I haven't heard. A friend had them, liked them, but they are bright, probably better for HT than music. Since you are an HT guy, I'd recommend the Athena package with the much better sub (makes a huge difference). My feeling is that the XL-Ss are the more refined speaker though.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #66 of 3363 Old 03-19-2007, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

What do you like, a bright detailed sound or a warm detailed sound. I've heard the XL-S speakers and they are a hell of a bargain, excellent music and HT speakers. The Athena's I haven't heard. A friend had them, liked them, but they are bright, probably better for HT than music. Since you are an HT guy, I'd recommend the Athena package with the much better sub (makes a huge difference). My feeling is that the XL-Ss are the more refined speaker though.

Thanks Ron, I guess my lack of experience will show here as I don't know my preferences on warm or bright, but my gut is to get that sweet sub. I keep reading that the sub will really sell the movie experience. How much better is the HSU vtf-2 mk2? Do you think I should be considering another Speaker and Sub combo? Again, Thanks for the help.
post #67 of 3363 Old 03-20-2007, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Ron, I guess my lack of experience will show here as I don't know my preferences on warm or bright, but my gut is to get that sweet sub. I keep reading that the sub will really sell the movie experience. How much better is the HSU vtf-2 mk2? Do you think I should be considering another Speaker and Sub combo? Again, Thanks for the help.

You're looking at very good choices...the B1, C1 combos are perhaps the best bang for the buck speakers discussed in the last year or so here (at those prices). The Bic H100 is a great entry level sub, but the Hsu stomps all over it. Anything else I'd recommend is way out of your budget.

To describe "bright" = crystal clear highs and detailed midrange that to some ears can be fatigueing or harsh after prolonged listening. Many prefer it, some don't.

Warm = softer, more mellow presentation, recessed highs with a detailed midrange. There's a ton of descriptives regarding sonic qualities of speakers soundstage and imaging. I'd point you to a glossary, but I'm too lazy. You have to listen to a number of offerings in order to decide what sound you prefer. That's what makes this fun.

Make a decision and start enjoying your system.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #68 of 3363 Old 03-20-2007, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Since you are an HT guy, I'd recommend the Athena package with the much better sub (makes a huge difference). My feeling is that the XL-Ss are the more refined speaker though.

i'd agree 100% with this. the AV123 speakers are probably better overall speakers than the athenas, but the Hsu sub is head and shoulders above the Bic, and you'll know why the minute you've got that thing calibrated and cookin'.

"That's right Mr. Martini...there is an Easter Bunny".
post #69 of 3363 Old 03-20-2007, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-star View Post

the title of this forum is sort of a misnomer. it is the best and most appropriate place for discussion of budget home theater/home theater in a box. this includes low cost component systems that compete with all-in-one-box systems, even if that offends your delicate sensibilities. all we're doing with this thread is trying to create a central place for people who want something more than a one-size-fits-all system to discuss their experiences.

if you want to get the mods involved, go ahead and knock yourself out...there have been very successful threads on this topic in this very forum in the past. if you had been posting for more than a month or two, maybe you'd realize this.

so, with all due respect, get your head out of your ass and ignore this thread if it upsets you so much.

My HTIB is the HT-S790 and for the price ($380.00) it sounds fantastic. Save your $$$ and get a HTIB, it's a better value. You would be hard pressed to find separates for under $1000.00 that would outperform this system.
post #70 of 3363 Old 03-20-2007, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdadi View Post

In the $600 range I have this:

Onkyo refurb 504 - $150
Velodyne CHT Front row speakers(5 peice) - $210
Bic H-100 sub - $230

Cables - $30 from monoprice/lowes.

Above one beats any HTIB out there in that price range. I listen this at -10 for movies and it rocks.

The HT-S790 by Onkyo would outperform this set up and it's almost half the price.
post #71 of 3363 Old 03-20-2007, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flags View Post

You would be hard pressed to find separates for under $1000.00 that would outperform this system.

why do you even bother to post anything here? comments like these reveal the depths of your ignorance.

i guess you just have nothing better to do than to mindlessly type this drivel, as you clearly have no credibility here based on all of this crap you spew out that is just 100%, flat-out incorrect. why don't you face a wall and talk to it about your thoughts on the 790, it would be more effective than trying to influence the opinions of people around here.

post #72 of 3363 Old 03-20-2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-star View Post

i'd agree 100% with this. the AV123 speakers are probably better overall speakers than the athenas, but the Hsu sub is head and shoulders above the Bic, and you'll know why the minute you've got that thing calibrated and cookin'.

The total budget is $1500, but I was figuring in the Onkyo 674 at $700. If I can grab it on ebay for $550ish , maybe I can swing the AV123s and the HSU subwoofer if I keep an eye out for discounts etc. That would be the best of both speaker options. Thanks again guys. I got more feedback here over night than I did in several days over on the speakers board.
post #73 of 3363 Old 03-20-2007, 10:58 AM

I will put the 790 up against anything that costs under $1,000.00
post #74 of 3363 Old 03-20-2007, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flags View Post

I will put the 790 up against anything that costs under $1,000.00

Hah...a member of the Flat Earth Society

I started with the Onkyo 770, essentially the 790 in a 6.1. config...best bang for the buck HTIB in 2004. I was a big fan. There were a number of critics on this forum back then and I argued with them...for about 4 months. Frys had a sale on Polk R30s for $100/pr, it was my son's birthday, so I bought him a pair. Before I gave them to him, I plugged them into the Onkyo fronts. It was truly amazing how much more detail and presence they had. So I started on the upgrade path.
I replaced everything with the following...

R50s - $160/pr
CSi3 - $70 off ebay
R15s - $50/pr
Cadence XSub (think Bic H-100) - $250
HK 235 - $240 refurb from HK Direct off ebay
=============================
$770

This was an excellent entry level HT that blew the doors off the Onkyo HTIB, which I sold for $335. Over the last couple of years, I've had a chance to listen to quite a few speakers and systems, there are a ton of almost as good, equal or better options than the one I chose for slightly less, equal or slightly more money.

I've since upgraded out of the entry level Polks into something really nice, but at resonable prices, so my system far exceeds in quality, the dollars I have in this hobby.

Educate yourself and explore this hobby or shutup and enjoy your Onkyo. Just don't spout off your ignorance.

post #75 of 3363 Old 03-20-2007, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
flags has been warned before and has been given some time off.

Carry on,

Kyser

"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."

Ash - Army of Darkness
post #76 of 3363 Old 03-20-2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:

Cadence XSub (think Bic H-100) - $250

I wish I knew you had a Cadence because I was very curious about that sub. $229.00 shipped made me want it, but I kept hearing that many of the amps had a feedback issue - can't remeber where I read that. Oh well, I like my Hsu just fine.

Aknot - "You asked for a case, we brought you a case."

Zorg - "A case with FOUR STONES in it! Not one or two or three, but four! Four stones! What the hell am I supposed to do with an empty case?"
post #77 of 3363 Old 03-20-2007, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwfiveoh View Post

I wish I knew you had a Cadence because I was very curious about that sub. $229.00 shipped made me want it, but I kept hearing that many of the amps had a feedback issue - can't remeber where I read that. Oh well, I like my Hsu just fine.

The Cadence is a very good budget sub, built like a tank and very capable down to it's brickwall of 25hz. I had 2 for a while with the humm which I understand has been fixed now. Passed them on to my sons a couple of Xmas' ago. They think they are great. I like the Bic slightly better, but it's close.

Neither is in the same league as a Hsu sub, but they are a great first upgrade out of HTIB.

post #78 of 3363 Old 03-20-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:

Neither is in the same league as a Hsu sub, but they are a great first upgrade out of HTIB.

Agreed. I wasn't sure when I was deciding on the Cadence and the Bic or whatever else is out there, and in the end I just decided to pony up a few more dollars for the Hsu. This was going to be my first sub and I didn't want to be disappointed and I'm not. I like clear bass and I also love it loud and deep. My wife get's so pissed now when we watch movies and it sounds good with music as well.

Aknot - "You asked for a case, we brought you a case."

Zorg - "A case with FOUR STONES in it! Not one or two or three, but four! Four stones! What the hell am I supposed to do with an empty case?"
post #79 of 3363 Old 03-20-2007, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kysersose View Post

flags has been warned before and has been given some time off.

Carry on,

Kyser

Thank you.

post #80 of 3363 Old 03-20-2007, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwfiveoh View Post

Agreed. I wasn't sure when I was deciding on the Cadence and the Bic or whatever else is out there, and in the end I just decided to pony up a few more dollars for the Hsu. This was going to be my first sub and I didn't want to be disappointed and I'm not. I like clear bass and I also love it loud and deep. My wife get's so pissed now when we watch movies and it sounds good with music as well.

My wife hates me too...

post #81 of 3363 Old 03-21-2007, 08:06 AM

Quote:

I got more feedback here over night than I did in several days over on the speakers board.

+infinity.

This thread delivers like CJ Parker in a burlap wedding sack.

Thanks a ton, this thread really assisted me with narrowing down my options, and helping me setup what my price range needed to be to get what I expected from my speakers, and what pieces of hardware I "MUST" audition.
post #82 of 3363 Old 03-21-2007, 06:10 PM

Hey everyone,

So my question is mainly a sub question, but I feel like I'm chased out of every sub forum with cries of "YOU CAN'T BUY ANY WORTHWHILE SPEAKER FOR LESS THAN $200". I really like this thread; if I had it earlier, I wouldn't have had to waste as much time trying to research home theater as I did in the past few months, but its reassuring that my planned setup includes every cheapest part you included here (2 pairs of Polk R15s, a Polk Center channel, an Onkyo SR-504 receiver, and a Dayton sub).

So my question is that, I'm set on getting a Dayton Sub because I really cant afford the extra money to buy a Bic H-100. (I'm so short on money that I'm not even going to buy my whole system at once. I'll start with 2.0. Then a few months later bring it to 2.1. Then to 4.1. And finally after 1-2 years from now probably bring it to 5.1). I'm looking at both the Dayton 10" and the Dayton 12". I'm going to use it in a common room of a row house for 5 people, but I don't know the dimensions yet except that it will probably be medium sized. You mentioned the Dayton 10" which is 125 watts and goes down to 30 hz, but the Dayton 12" is 150 watts and goes down to 25 hz. Is the 12" worth the extra $25? Which should I get?

Thanks for any help! I appreciate it!
post #83 of 3363 Old 03-21-2007, 09:21 PM

Drawde84

Frys.com still has the Polk R150s for 49.99 a pair (very similar speaker)
If cost is an issue and you like Polk this is a smoking deal
I see the R15s for 179.00 a pair, you could get your system much sooner
with the saveings
post #84 of 3363 Old 03-21-2007, 09:24 PM

JBL Balboa 30
Decent starter speaker $99.00 each right now
post #85 of 3363 Old 03-22-2007, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drawde84 View Post

You mentioned the Dayton 10" which is 125 watts and goes down to 30 hz, but the Dayton 12" is 150 watts and goes down to 25 hz. Is the 12" worth the extra $25? Which should I get?

the dayton subs were very popular with the budget crowd at one point, but i don't hear much about them anymore. between the two you mentioned, i would go for the 12" if possible, just for the added extension. i've heard grumblings about it in the past, but for $150 you'll probably be better off than with a comparable HTIB sub.

you might consider looking for a used sub on ebay, craigslist, or audiogon. buying lightly used gear from an upgrader is a great way to get more equipment than you could afford brand new, it just might take some patience. sounds like you're in no hurry though, so it might be something to think about.

post #86 of 3363 Old 03-23-2007, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

The Dayton's don't get much mention anymore because the last batch weren't as good as the first rev. The complaints were centered around build quality, sound quality (boomy 1 note wonders) and port noise for any sub 40hz content. That being said, it's still probably your best bet for a new sub and frankly I've heard less complaints about the 10".

Follow G-star's advice look used or for a special. Sometimes the Velo VX 10 can be had for ~ $150. It won't shake the house, but it is tuneful. Stay away from the Polk PSW10 or 12, they give those away with a speaker purchase, so they are always available on CL. They are awful, go with a Dayton instead.

post #87 of 3363 Old 03-23-2007, 11:30 AM

Thanks for all the advice! Its really helpful.

I actually have another question too.
Whats the difference between the Polk RM6752 and the Polk CSi25? Both of them seem to be in around the same price range?
Which one is the better center channel speaker? And which one matches the Polk R15s better? And also, is the Polk CS1 significantly better?

Thanks again!!!
post #88 of 3363 Old 03-23-2007, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drawde84 View Post

Thanks for all the advice! Its really helpful.

I actually have another question too.
Whats the difference between the Polk RM6752 and the Polk CSi25? Both of them seem to be in around the same price range?
Which one is the better center channel speaker? And which one matches the Polk R15s better? And also, is the Polk CS1 significantly better?

Thanks again!!!

The CSi25 matches the R15s, but the CS1 is the better center. Either one will work fine.

post #89 of 3363 Old 03-24-2007, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok guys/gals, I have $1,200 to spend for a Home theater. I currently have an HDTV with one HDMI input. I am on DirecTV, and will be upgrading to HDTV and an HDTV DVR. I have a sony progressive scan DVD, but not sure if it has an HDMI in, so I may need a new DVD also. Of course, I want the best picture and sound possible for the money, but if a $100-$200 more is required to make a significant improvement, please let me know.

I would like a receiver with HDMI both in and out. ONE MAJOR OBSTACLE: We just put in Hardwood floors, and wiring to the back of the room is impossible (no walls to go through either). So, while I know the wireless rear speakers are inferior, I would prefer to have them so I can have a 5.1 or better system. If there are no wireless rears in a speaker package that would work, then I will have to settle for a 2.1 system, but would like some kind of surround simulation that works well. The room is large (about 400sq. ft.) so I need something with enough power to give me clear sound at higher volumes. Oh, I would also like to have HD upscaling if possible. I am getting the HD from Directv, but it is my understanding that I need upscaling to get a better picture for those programs that are not broadcast in HDTV (is that correct?). Ok, I know I have asked alot, but if you have time, could you also tell me how best to wire this puppy up. Assume I have the multiple HDMI in/out on the receiver, with upscaling capabilities. A Directv HDTV DVR. A DVD player with HDMI and upscaling. A Basic VCR, and of course the speakers you recommend. Thanks a lot!!!

George

52" Samsung 750, finally satisfaction
post #90 of 3363 Old 03-24-2007, 08:44 PM

That is a kinda hard position to be in. I have not heard anything good about wireless systems available as of yet. Something to look into is some speaker wire i have seen that is super thin. You could possibly put it behind the wood trim along the floor. Also depending on the ceiling mabe some ceiling mounted surrounds with the wires ran in the attic. If that wont work your best choice is to get some nice towers for L and R , a nice center, and a good sub. The new Yamaha 661 is a nice budget receiver with HDMI i think it will meet the specs you requested look into it. You can find them for around $400.00 to $500.00. While i have no experience with them at all there is 5 channel soundbars http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/p...s/surroundbar/
mabe somone around here knows about them. Matched with a sub it could be a viable option for you.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page