Kex
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeoz View Post

... I'm coming from an HK avr235 and I think the SQ is definetly a step down.. ... The HK had a very nice warm and full sound, but HK seems to have some quality control issues. ...

We just switched from Yamaha (stereo only) to h/k, with a modest AVR147. We are very happy with our unit and have had no quality control issues at all. We did a side by side comparison with the Yamaha in stereo only, using two identical front speakers on each unit, and played each unit at different levels from -33dB to -16dB to -10dB (much higher than normal for us, and really too loud). We immediately noticed a slightly smoother sound for the h/k and a much more pleasant listening experience at high volume levels. We wondered if this was because the Yamaha was distorting at those levels, making things sound just loud and noisy. Since then, all fully hooked up in 5.1 with Polk Audio and an Acoustech H100, we have found the h/k to be excellent for our needs.

I would not say that this means that harman/kardon is better than Yamaha (or Onkyo), but it was an interesting first experience and we certainly get more out of our old speakers now.

By the way: Onkyo have had issues with Audyssey EQ setting the crossover too high (120 or even 150). You might want to check this since it apparently affects sound quality quite noticeably. Harman EzSet/EQ set our crossover to 60Hz on modest little MiniMonitors (and an excellent CS245i center).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 3363 Old 10-03-2007, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Well, got a new onkyo sr605 today and so far I'm a little disappointed. I'm coming from an HK avr235 and I think the SQ is definetly a step down.. What does everyone else think of the onkyo sr605? The HK had a very nice warm and full sound, but HK seems to have some quality control issues. Anyone else share the same opinion? Perhaps I was expecting more and maybe tweaking the settings some more can improve the overall sound. Does anyone have any recommended settings? Thanks.

Haven't heard those specific models but it's pretty common opinion that it's hard to beat or even compare with HK as far as SQ at the price point. Not suprising after moving away from a HK to another brand it would be a disappointment as far as SQ goes. I'm not bashing the 605 in any way, it's a great receiver and when compared to similar priced Yamaha, Pioneer, etc from the models I've heard I prefer Onkyo but HK is a step above in SQ. They don't get recommended as much in the budget receiver catagory because they are usually higher in price than other comparable receivers although you can get some pretty sweet deals from HK Direct on ebay.

They do seem to have more quirks than other brands but the chances of that happening are slim and if it does, knowing they have EXCELLENT Customer Service (again oustanding in comparison to others) that will make any problems right if they arise is a plus.
post #1803 of 3363 Old 10-03-2007, 10:23 PM
Advanced Member

Jakeman, I wanted to try and go with a different brand because it seems like hk has some issues in general, but the SQ difference is noticeable imo, and I think I'll be sending the Onkyo sr605 back.. I'll stick with my avr235 for the time being and try to go with an avr 247 or something after their newer receivers get the bugs worked out.

Thanks for the input Kex. I was looking at the yamaha v2600 and perhaps I just need to goto a circuit city (or more likely a tweeter or Meyer Emco) to hear a bunch of different receivers and listen to each brand's specific tone and sound. Do you know how Denon's sound compared to HK's? With an almost side by side comparison (same speakers, source, etc), the HK kind of sounds more like a tube amp than a transistor receiver, compared to the onkyo. The difference isn't dramatic (depending on your ears), and most people wouldn't notice it (that haven't listened to different receivers). I was hoping I would like the sound of the onkyo w/o hearing it, but unfortunately it's not my taste.

On that note, does anyone want an Onkyo sr605 in the DC metropolitan area? I just got it in the mail today brand new from amazon, and I'll sell it for my cost minus the shipping charges back and the charges i'll pay for it being sent to me. That makes it $335 for anyone local. Everything seemingly works perfectly, no problems. Sorry to go off-topic, but it'll save me the hassle of mailing it back.
post #1804 of 3363 Old 10-04-2007, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Well, got a new onkyo sr605 today and so far I'm a little disappointed. I'm coming from an HK avr235 and I think the SQ is definetly a step down..

i've owned both onkyo and H/K AVR's, and i can definitely hear a difference. i prefer the H/K sound too, but i've heard reports of some being a little buggy, though my refurb has worked perfectly for almost two years. YMMV.

"That's right Mr. Martini...there is an Easter Bunny".
post #1805 of 3363 Old 10-04-2007, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Mike,

For SQ in my experience, not opinion...HK>Denon,Onk, Sony(non ES), pretty much from top to bottom with the bottom of HK line exceeding the midfi, Denon 28-38xx, Onk 6 & 7xx and Sony everything. All the non Elite Pios have guts and features, but are a bit bright and hissy compared to HK. Marantz and NAD(pricey) are a step up. I too was going to dump HK due to my refurb issues, but the 245 they sent me has been problem free and sounds great, though it only acts as a pre/pro for me. My little comparison is based on musical playback, where it's most noticeable. For HT, Denon, Pio and Onk are excellent as well. It's just once you get used to HKs sound in music, you just don't want to settle for less.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #1806 of 3363 Old 10-04-2007, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks Ron, I appreciate the ranking.. I really wanted to get a damn HDMI enabled receiver but perhaps I'll just hang on for a little bit, as the avr 247's seem to be a little buggy. I was considering denon, but wasn't sure how it compared to hk.

Anyone from the DC metro area want an Onkyo SR605? I don't wanna have to ship the damn thing back to amazon, and will gladly pass on my shipping losses! Someone please buy it!
post #1807 of 3363 Old 10-04-2007, 11:23 PM

Quote:

Thanks Ron, I appreciate the ranking.. I really wanted to get a damn HDMI enabled receiver but perhaps I'll just hang on for a little bit, as the avr 247's seem to be a little buggy. I was considering denon, but wasn't sure how it compared to hk.

Anyone from the DC metro area want an Onkyo SR605? I don't wanna have to ship the damn thing back to amazon, and will gladly pass on my shipping losses! Someone please buy it!

i may be interested, shoot me a pm w/ details, thanks.
post #1808 of 3363 Old 10-05-2007, 08:09 AM

Hello everyone.

what do you think of the Polk PSW404/505 they are the higher csi line in the Polk Sub lineup and are on closeout now:
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-10-...1596700&sr=1-1

how would this compare to the BIC H-100.
I am building a polk 5.1 setup
R50 mains (purchased)
CS1 center
RM101 Surround (Satellites)

Thanks for the input.
post #1809 of 3363 Old 10-05-2007, 10:06 AM

I would like to add the Radiient Calypso 5.0 speaker system to the HTIB alternatives list. I replaced some velodyne cht front row speakers with these and I am very happy that I did. I think that for 199.00 shipped you cant go wrong with the Calypso speakers. I have driven these speakers pretty hard the last 3 weeks for break in and also to see if I can find a weakness in the sound spectrum. The only gripe I have is the center channel is a bit weak compared to the 2 front tower speakers, but to combat this I turned up the volume on the center to match the timbre of the 2 towers, and problem solved.
My system setup includes:
Onkyo 604
Radiient Calypso 5.0
Bic H-100
Sony 5 DVD changer
HTPC
Mototrola DVR

I have relegated my CHT's to the bedroom with my sony strk 7000 reciever. I must say now the bedroom system sounds wonderful.

-Rich

WHERE THE WHITE WOMEN AT!
post #1810 of 3363 Old 10-05-2007, 10:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 401
How much better/different do the Radiients sound than the Velodynes?

Afro GT
post #1811 of 3363 Old 10-05-2007, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

How much better/different do the Radiients sound than the Velodynes?

This is kind of a loaded question because everyone hears differently. To me the radiients had a more full and powerful sound. As they should due to the fact there are 3 more drivers per front speaker than the CHT's. There is also, to me, more depth to movies, I am hearing sounds in movies that were not heard from the velodynes. Do not get me wrong, I am comparing bookshelve speakers to tower speakers here so the velodynes are getting a raw deal. I still stand beside the CHT system as a great bang for the buck speaker system, but I must say that for the price you would be hard pressed to find tower speakers with the performance that the Calypso's give you. And as for the surrounds on the calypso speaker system they did not skimp on these speakers.
As for sound the calypsos are warm, not bright, or hollow at all.
I hope this kind of answers your question.
-Rich

post #1812 of 3363 Old 10-05-2007, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetBoy2007 View Post

Hello everyone.

what do you think of the Polk PSW404/505 they are the higher csi line in the Polk Sub lineup and are on closeout now:
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-10-...1596700&sr=1-1

how would this compare to the BIC H-100.
I am building a polk 5.1 setup
R50 mains (purchased)
CS1 center
RM101 Surround (Satellites)

Thanks for the input.

link doesn't work so I can't see the pricing. Anyway, the Bic over the 404. The 505 is a decent sub with similar specs...toss up.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #1813 of 3363 Old 10-05-2007, 03:16 PM

Ron...thanks for the reply..the polk psw404 is on closeout for $209.00 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-10-...1622491&sr=1-1
post #1814 of 3363 Old 10-06-2007, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

To be clear...if the 505 isn't priced equally with the Bic, go with the Bic. The 505s got more output above 30hz, but not worth more in SQ. Now if your budget is $350, go with an eD sub, the A2-300 won't beat the SVS PB10 in SQ, but it's close and aces it in output for quite a bit less.

post #1815 of 3363 Old 10-07-2007, 10:06 AM

My living room is 14 by 14, I watch mostly tv and movies. I have ordered the Onkyo SR575 and the Sony DVPNS77HB dvd player. My thoughts on speakers are: Polk R300 for the mains CSR for the middle and R150's for the rear, BIC H100 for the sub. Second option would be the HSU Performance 1 or 2. Third option could be Elemental Designs 5TC bookshelves front and back with 5T5 for the middle with the A2 300 sub. I would need stands for the front and the rear speakers, I'm also limited with the size of the middle speaker because of my Panasonic 600 series tv.[one mount in the shape of a diamond which extends out from the middle] The cost for these speakers, stands and shipping would run from $550.00 to $800.00. I'm ok with this price range and a little higher, any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.
post #1816 of 3363 Old 10-07-2007, 11:00 AM

Thanks Ron....sounds like the BIC H100 is a winner, also I scanned almost every thread relating to subwoofers and hardly anything is mentioned of the Polk subs while I have not read one negative comment on the BIC H-100.
post #1817 of 3363 Old 10-08-2007, 12:06 PM

Hi Guys, Will this work ?

TV - Westy 47'' with 1 HDMI input

Onkyo 605 Receiver
Front - Boston Acoustics CR57 Bookshelves ( 90$ for a pair in Circuit City ).
Center - Boston Acoustics CRC7 (around 150 $ amazon) - i mainly chose this as this will match the bookshelves.
Rear - Polk Audio RM101 Satellite Speakers (75 $ each)
Sub - Velodyne VX-10

I liked the Boston bookshelves better than polk, kef, bose speakers in Circuit City. Also the Boston Center sounded ok (i havent heard the CS1,CSR's and i might not choose it for its size).

I live in an apartment and dont have that much space. But i chose the receiver and bookshelves for future. I dont want bulky speakers for rear. My question here is

1. Will this combination work ?
2. Is there any alternative for rear speakers(smaller in size)

Pls let me know.

Raj
post #1818 of 3363 Old 10-08-2007, 03:22 PM

I think the follow is what I am going to purchase....Please share your thoughts....

Receiver---Onkyo TX-SR505...($239 ShopOnkyo.com)
Front Speakers- Bookshelf's---Athena - Audition B1.2 Speakers - Black -($99 Pair...AA)
Center- Athena - Audition AS-C1.2 Center Channel Speaker ($99...AA)
Sub---Bic H-100 ($249 shop.com)
Surrounds--- not sure at this time... Might add later..
Back Speakers- not sure at this time... Might add later...

Please let me know what you think... Thanks in advance...
post #1819 of 3363 Old 10-08-2007, 05:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

shapsplace,

If you're ready to order, make sure you sign up for the Club Onkyo (its free) on the shoponkyo.com site. The price goes down to $219 for the same receiver. Plus you get an additional 10% off for Columbus Day. You must purchase by 10/09 for the Columbus discount. Plus as a first time clubonkyo customer, you get an extra $10 on your first purchase. Your price for the TX-SR505 will go down to about $189 saving you $50. I'm guessing you're getting the receiver in black?

As far as the BIC Subwoofer, very good choice. But you can also save money there by purchasing from the Sound distributors store on eBay. They have a Make An Offer deal and most people submit between 190-$200 and it gets accepted. You should be able to get your sub for no more than $239 shipped.

If you don't want to do the ebay thing, your shop.com has 10% off when you sign up. Just enter the coupon code. This should save you $25.

I have Athena bookshelf speakers with my Onkyo 573 system and they work well together. You'll enjoy it.

Good luck.

Afro GT
post #1820 of 3363 Old 10-08-2007, 07:31 PM

Thanks for the $$$ savings tips... I will take your advice...
Thanks again....
post #1821 of 3363 Old 10-09-2007, 11:47 AM

I bough a onkyo sr605 now I just need some speakers. my family room is 21x13 but opens up into the kitchen. One patio door is present, and another door way that leads to the garage and bathroom. We will be viewing the tv from the kitchen as well (tv is above the fireplace mantel ). The main viewing sofa will be ~12-15 ft from tv. Tv is also pretty high up, bout 55-60".

I want to start with the basics and build my way up when funds are available. thanks all
post #1822 of 3363 Old 10-09-2007, 12:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Do you plan to mount the speakers on the wall next to the TV? Or are you looking at floorstanders to put on each side of the fireplace?

What's your initial budget and do you want just two speakers now and plan to add on later?

Afro GT
post #1823 of 3363 Old 10-09-2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:

Do you plan to mount the speakers on the wall next to the TV? Or are you looking at floorstanders to put on each side of the fireplace?

What's your initial budget and do you want just two speakers now and plan to add on later?

I'm looking to mount the speakers on both sides of the fireplace. Not sure about the stands because i have a 3 yr old and 1yr old touching everything. My initial budget was around $2000. I've spent so far $~1500 on the tv and $400 on the receiver. I am definitely going over my budget. So yes, I just want two speakers now that I can live with for awhile and add later on. I want to keep it around ~$200 for the speakers.
post #1824 of 3363 Old 10-09-2007, 05:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I wonder if something like this would work for you. Not sure if the towers can be mounted or anchored to the wall, but you could call them to find out. Great price though.

http://www.radiient.com/Calypso-5-Ch...c=2&category=6

Afro GT
post #1825 of 3363 Old 10-10-2007, 04:08 AM

Quote:

I wonder if something like this would work for you. Not sure if the towers can be mounted or anchored to the wall, but you could call them to find out. Great price though.

http://www.radiient.com/Calypso-5-Ch...c=2&category=6

I dont think that would be a good idea the towers are about 4 feet tall. And there is no mounting harware on the back of the towers so you would have to modify the speakers.
-Rich

post #1826 of 3363 Old 10-10-2007, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebxr View Post

I dont think that would be a good idea the towers are about 4 feet tall. And there is no mounting harware on the back of the towers so you would have to modify the speakers.
-Rich

Yes i definitely don't want to modify the speakers. any other ideas on speakers? I don't want to sound like a slacker for not going out and listening to the speakers myself, but I really trust the opinions on this forum. Any good mountable speakers in my price range?
post #1827 of 3363 Old 10-10-2007, 08:08 AM

go to the first post of this thread and there are some wonderful suggestions. If you can pick up some used velodyne cht front row speakers, I can vouch that they are pretty good speakers. And they can handle what you are wanting to do. You might want to call velodyne and if you dont mind white they may have some left with the 5 speaker package.
-Rich

post #1828 of 3363 Old 10-10-2007, 09:09 AM

Does anyone have the Athena WS-60? I was thinking about getting two Athena WS-60 and using them as my fronts instead of the
Athena - Audition B1.2 Speakers that I was going to purchase. You can see my plan for set-up above. The Athena WS-60 would fit perfectly standing (or mounted) on both sides of my Plasma... any thoughts on the WS-60's would be appreciated.
post #1829 of 3363 Old 10-10-2007, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjune1101 View Post

Onkyo 605 Receiver
Front - Boston Acoustics CR57 Bookshelves ( 90$ for a pair in Circuit City ).
Center - Boston Acoustics CRC7 (around 150 $ amazon) - i mainly chose this as this will match the bookshelves.
Rear - Polk Audio RM101 Satellite Speakers (75 $ each)
Sub - Velodyne VX-10

1. Will this combination work ?
2. Is there any alternative for rear speakers(smaller in size)

Raj,

There's no reason the combo you chose will not work, BUT check out Boston Acoustics Micro120x or -110x for your surrounds. While I think Polk RM's are great little sats, they may look and sound a bit out of place with your front Boston CRs. The Micro120x is comparable in size to RM101, and 110x is actually smaller.

Think if you can at all fit / tolerate another pair of CR57 in the back; this will give you the best overall SQ especially for music.

I actually demoed CR57 at home against comparable Polks. Let me know if you have questions.
- Val
post #1830 of 3363 Old 10-10-2007, 09:44 AM

Thanks Val, CR57 might be a little bulky as my surrounds. But u know what, i thought that option before as it sounded awesome. But i will go with Boston Acoustics Micro120x. ABT have them in stock. I will go hear them tonight and will buy it.

Is Boston Acoustics Micro Center Speaker better than CRC7 ? I compared the specs and it seems so. Please let me know which one is better.

Raj
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page