***Official HTIB Alternatives Thread*** - Page 62 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-10-2007, 09:48 AM
Kex
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rygamer View Post

... any other ideas on speakers? I don't want to sound like a slacker for not going out and listening to the speakers myself, but I really trust the opinions on this forum. Any good mountable speakers in my price range?

When you're not sure, and can't go out and listen, I think speakers like Polk Audio are one of the safest bets available. They may not be everyone's "best ever" choice of speaker, but they are excellent for most tastes and you can get really convincing results even from the entry level models. There are such great deals on small bookshelf models like the R150 ($50 a pair, when on sale) that you should be able to afford four of them! Even better possibly, and still keeping it under $200, the RTi4 should be excellent for just two front speakers from amazon.com, with built in mounting brackets on the rear (but the deals on the RTi4 probably won't last: they are only available at this price because the new RTi A replacement range is being launched).

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/r150/
http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/rti4/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2007, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjune1101 View Post

Thanks Val, CR57 might be a little bulky as my surrounds. But u know what, i thought that option before as it sounded awesome. But i will go with Boston Acoustics Micro120x. ABT have them in stock. I will go hear them tonight and will buy it.

Is Boston Acoustics Micro Center Speaker better than CRC7 ? I compared the specs and it seems so. Please let me know which one is better.

I have not had a chance to compare these different centers, but CRC7 should match your CR57 better by design. I would not compare them on the specs alone. Having checked the specs though, it looks like Micro120x uses VR-series aluminum tweeter, while the Micro110x has a Kortec soft tweeter similar to the CR-series speakers. See if the store carries both so that you can hear any differences.

Also, you could check the Boston Acoustics thread for more info.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:05 PM

I will go thru the Boston Acoustics thread and will defenitely compare the 110x with 120x. Thanks Val.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:29 AM

Does anyone have the Athena WS-60?
The setup in which I am thinking about purchasing is as follows:

Receiver---Onkyo TX-SR505...
Front Speakers- Bookshelf's---Athena - Audition B1.2 Speaker
Center- Athena - Audition AS-C1.2 Center Channel Speaker
Sub---Bic H-100
Surrounds--- not sure at this time... Might add later.
Back Speakers- not sure at this time... Might add later...

I was thinking about getting (two) Athena WS-60 and using them as my fronts instead of the B1.2 speakers. The Athena WS-60 would fit perfectly standing (or mounted) on both sides of my Plasma... any thoughts on the WS-60's would be appreciated.

Please let me know what you think... Thanks in advance...
Old 10-11-2007, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kex View Post

When you're not sure, and can't go out and listen, I think speakers like Polk Audio are one of the safest bets available. They may not be everyone's "best ever" choice of speaker, but they are excellent for most tastes and you can get really convincing results even from the entry level models. There are such great deals on small bookshelf models like the R150 ($50 a pair, when on sale) that you should be able to afford four of them! Even better possibly, and still keeping it under $200, the RTi4 should be excellent for just two front speakers from amazon.com, with built in mounting brackets on the rear (but the deals on the RTi4 probably won't last: they are only available at this price because the new RTi A replacement range is being launched).

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/r150/
http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/rti4/

Will the rti4 be sufficient for a 21x13 room that opens up to the kitchen? and how important is a center channel? I don't think i have room between the tv and the mantel. Thanks
Old 10-11-2007, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rygamer View Post

Will the rti4 be sufficient for a 21x13 room that opens up to the kitchen? and how important is a center channel? I don't think i have room between the tv and the mantel. Thanks

I am sure someone has already told you, but $200 will not fill your space with sound, not even RTi4 . That is if you are expecting concert or movie theater volumes and bass rumble. The RTi4 will still however sound much better than the TV speakers and your ONKYO will drive them fine (speaking from experience) if you go easy on the volume dial (not much past the 12 o'clock position).

Set them up LARGE on the receiver and set all other speakers (surround, center, sub) to NONE. Once the money permits, add a good sub woofer to help your 2 front speakers and let the receiver breath better.

Don't worry about center right now, especially if you cannot position it well. Play with the ONKYO's DSP modes to chose what sounds best for your area for music and produces decent dialog in movies.

If "around ~$200" still means $250, than you can pick up the larger RTi6. The last time I checked these were still available from authorized stores for about $230 - $250 and come in black or cherry; real wood veneer BTW! RTi6 can still be wall mounted the same as RTi4, but are heavier, so make sure you find studs or use heavy duty wall anchors in drywall.

- Val
Old 10-12-2007, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinipux77 View Post

I am sure someone has already told you, but $200 will not fill your space with sound, not even RTi4 . That is if you are expecting concert or movie theater volumes and bass rumble. The RTi4 will still however sound much better than the TV speakers and your ONKYO will drive them fine (speaking from experience) if you go easy on the volume dial (not much past the 12 o'clock position).

Set them up LARGE on the receiver and set all other speakers (surround, center, sub) to NONE. Once the money permits, add a good sub woofer to help your 2 front speakers and let the receiver breath better.

Don't worry about center right now, especially if you cannot position it well. Play with the ONKYO's DSP modes to chose what sounds best for your area for music and produces decent dialog in movies.

If "around ~$200" still means $250, than you can pick up the larger RTi6. The last time I checked these were still available from authorized stores for about $230 - $250 and come in black or cherry; real wood veneer BTW! RTi6 can still be wall mounted the same as RTi4, but are heavier, so make sure you find studs or use heavy duty wall anchors in drywall.

- Val

Considering i still need some money for a decent sub , i opted for the rti4 speakers for the front. Now for MORE research on a sub. This is grueling.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Great choice. I didn't know a sub was already on your mind. Don't stress about it too much, and start enjoying your system once you get RTi4s hooked up (they do have some decent low end for their size, too) and add the sub once you made a choice or run into a very good deal.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Old 10-13-2007, 12:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 467
My local Fry's is offering the RM-10 for $239 and they show the 10" subwoofer in the photo, but I'm not sure if they really do include the sub.

http://newspaperads.mercurynews.com/...17991078&type=

Afro GT
Old 10-13-2007, 04:17 PM

I'm a home theatre newb but after doing a little research im thinking of getting:
polk rti4 x4 ~$400 shipped
polk cs2 center channel ~$230 shipped
yamaha 661 receiver ~$400 shipped
and still not sure about the sub but looking for something in the 200-300 range

my room is 12x18x8.5.
any suggestions on sub or ways to improve the rest of my system for a similar cost?

Also i live in Canada but will probably look to purchase from the US since i can't seem to find any good Canadian sellers.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:00 PM
Kex
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conando View Post

... any suggestions on sub or ways to improve the rest of my system for a similar cost? ...

I believe the CSi3 (or more expensive CSi5) is the correct match for the RTi4, not the CS2. The former will be about $150 or less online currently, the latter will cost about the same as the CS2.

As for subs, all the usual suspects have already been mentioned in this thread. You could try for the Acoustech H100 from e-Bay ($240 shipped, in the U.S. at least) or some of the others in the same range.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Rti4 should be matched wtih Csi3.
Rti6 should be matched wtih Csi5.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:30 PM

i'm familiar with Elemental Designs from the car audio side of the house...how good are their home audio speakers?
Old 10-16-2007, 06:54 PM

I just wanted to let you guys know the AV123 has their X-LS book sheff speakers on sale for $165. Normally priced at around 220.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:12 PM

I've been looking at this thread for weeks and gone to all the local stores listening to different speakers (Polk, KEF, Def Tech, etc.) and receivers (Onkyo, HK, Yamaha). For a while I thought I was going to go crazy with all the choices and that doesn't even count the internet direct choices that I can't listen to in person. I finally purchased a receiver, HK AVR 247. Now, I need to get speakers. Because of our setup in the basement and 2 small children, I'd like to begin with a 3.1 setup and floorstanding speakers seem to be the best fit. The AV123 bookshelf speakers are mentioned frequently in this forum but I don't think they will fit on the TV stand that I currently have and I don't want to wall mount them. So, I was looking at the x-sls, x-cs and x-sub, especially with the sale going on right now.

What I'd like to know is whether or not the x-sls speakers are thought of highly as the x-ls in this forum?

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this forum. It really helps.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:32 AM

tschrad,

I purchased the exact speaker set up you refer to from AV123 based on the reccommendations within this forum. I power them with an HK AVR340. I am delighted with the sound quality and have found myself listening to (and purchasing!) more music and watching more movies than ever. I really enjoy the sound of the x-series paired with HK. I ordered these speakers back in July before the current sale and am very happy with the decision. In light of the current sale you will receive an even better deal for your money. Go for it!
Old 10-18-2007, 12:02 PM

Polk Rti8's (scratch and dent) are on sale at Crutchfield $170 ea. free shipping. Only a few left.

These would make decent fronts for a budget system.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:48 PM

I am planing to set up family room home theater system. I am new to this area. Does anyone know the differences for these ONKyo models, TX-SR605, TX-705, and TX-SR805? Which one is better considering both price and quality? Will HDMI ver1.3 support ver1.2? My TV has HDMI ver1.2.

Thanks a lot.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:29 PM

hey all --

long time lurker here with a question. based on feedback in this forum, i'm considering the following 5.1 set up:

Onkyo 605
AV123 x-sls fronts
AV123 x-cs center
Bic H-100 sub
AV123 x-ls rears

the thing is, i know how great the x-ls's are considered to be, and i feel like it would be a waste to use them as subs. i'd also like to have subs that aren't so big.

would it go against the consistency of the system to purchase smaller subs by a different manufacturer? maybe ones that can even be attached on a bracket on the wall? any recommendations for something small, powerful, and consistent with the AV123s?

thanks in advance for your help.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Subs? Do you mean surround speakers? You definitely can't mount a subwoofer on a wall.

Afro GT
Old 10-18-2007, 05:34 PM
Kex
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Subs? Do you mean surround speakers? You definitely can't mount a subwoofer on a wall.

LOL! I knew what kappyben meant to write, despite the mistake, but seeing your response just made that seem rediculously funny! I'm trying to picture that in my mind, and imagine the questions that would get posted here after the inevitable crash came about! I can see the thread heading now: "Please help: new sub fell off wall, what am I doing wrong?" LOL!
Old 10-18-2007, 06:51 PM

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the info on this thread. My situation is I only have 5.5 inches of height between shelves on my TV stand, so I had to look for both a receiver center channel speaker that fit.

Here is what I have come up with:

Panasonic XR55 or XR57
Athena F1.2 Fronts
Athena LS-C50 Center
Bic H -100 Sub
Rears add later

Your thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-18-2007, 07:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Panasonic receiver makes good sense. The little Athena center might get overpowered by the F1's. They also use a different tweeter. You might want to call Audio Advisor to see if they think its a good match, or just better to go w/o a dedicated center. You may just want to skip the center and go with a pair of LS-50's for rears.

Sub is a great choice.

Afro GT
Old 10-18-2007, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kex View Post

LOL! I knew what kappyben meant to write, despite the mistake, but seeing your response just made that seem rediculously funny! I'm trying to picture that in my mind, and imagine the questions that would get posted here after the inevitable crash came about! I can see the thread heading now: "Please help: new sub fell off wall, what am I doing wrong?" LOL!

duh. man i am out of it. yes, i meant rear speakers!
Old 10-18-2007, 09:51 PM
Kex
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappyben View Post

duh. man i am out of it. yes, i meant rear speakers!

No worries! It was obvious from reading your post that you meant the rear surrounds, and it helped give me laugh when I read afrogt's response!

Sorry, but I cannot comment on the x-Is specifically, or I would have done so already, but I think it is still better to match surround speakers to your front stage, even if it's not necessarily essential. If you want to use satellite type speakers, you should still try and stay within the same brand if possible to match the musical tone. Just because the surroud speakers are of lesser importance doesn't mean you should buy cr@p, and it also looks better if they match the style of the fronts. YMMV.

If you're desperate though, I was impressed by Boston Acoustics "micro" speakers. I have no idea if they would "fit in" with the AV123 front and center you are considering.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:20 AM

Hi,

I was wondering if the Polk Audio CS245 would be a good center channel match for the Polk R50's (front) and Polk R150's (rear)? I am able to get the CS245 plus two RT15 speakers plus two no name speakers from a friend for $100 and was wondering if it was worth it? How are the RT15 speakers, would they be comparable to the R150's? If so, then I could just use those instead of the R150's (I haven't bought any speakers as of yet so still debating). Thanks!
Old 10-19-2007, 09:36 AM

the cs1 will be a better match imo

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmakd View Post

Hi,

I was wondering if the Polk Audio CS245 would be a good center channel match for the Polk R50's (front) and Polk R150's (rear)? I am able to get the CS245 plus two RT15 speakers plus two no name speakers from a friend for $100 and was wondering if it was worth it? How are the RT15 speakers, would they be comparable to the R150's? If so, then I could just use those instead of the R150's (I haven't bought any speakers as of yet so still debating). Thanks!

ÂNothing attempted, nothing achievedÂ
Old 10-19-2007, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

RT15 and RT150 are basically the same speaker. the RT150 is in a newer cabinet which looks better. The older R15 has a keyhole slot for wall mounting. The R150 does not.

2 bookshelves and a center is a bargain for $100. Will he let you try them out first?

Edit: Ooops I read this wrong. I was think R15 instead of RT15. The RT15 is better. Go for the deal, that's a bargain.

The "R" series is their entry level line. The RT was a step up and then the RTi replaced the RT. The RTi added real wood veneer to the cabinets over the RT.

Afro GT
Old 10-19-2007, 11:39 AM

I have Athena B1.2 for my fronts, and Athena C1.2 for my center. I am very happy with them. I'd like to add 2 surround speakers, but I have space limitations. They will need to be ceiling mounted. I suspect they will need to be 1/2 the size (or smaller) than the B1.2s.

Ideally I could pick up a pair in the $100-$150 range or less. Not an audiophile in the least, not needed for music (ever), strictly home theater.

Suggestions?

GL