post #1 of 8 Old 05-06-2007, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
5.1 Theater: Samsung Ht-Q80
HD LCD TV: Sony KDL 46XBR2
DirecTV HD-DVR

Can't get everything to work together. I don't understand what we are missing in the Samsung instructions as limited as they are.

HDMI In on TV to HDMI Out on Theater
HDMI In on Theater to HDMI Out on DVR.

I don't see how that could be too hard. But as far as I can tell we are to select function "HDMI In" on the Theater to watch TV from the DVR but the message on the TV says: Unsupported signal. Check your device output. Does anyone know what we are missing?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-06-2007, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't have your system but it appears that you have it connected properly.

To recap: DVR out to Q80 in Q80 out to TV in. If so that should be correct.

Also, I think you do need to have HDMI ON as you state.

Does the TV work OK with DVR HDMI direct to the TV? If not then check the DVR set up.

If yes, then you may be having the dreaded HDMI "handshake" issue that many have reported going from a component through a receiver to their TV.

Even though you're not getting a picture, do you get audio from the DVR? If so that may support the handshake issue.

Look into the HDMI forum. There is a lot of info on repeating (like yours) receiver issues. Could very well be your type of set up is mentioned.

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-06-2007, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

If we connect straight from TV to DVR then all is fine. But through the theater we get no audio or video... thank you I will check out that forum.
post #4 of 8 Old 05-06-2007, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by normajean999 View Post

If we connect straight from TV to DVR then all is fine. But through the theater we get no audio or video... thank you I will check out that forum.

I just took a look at the Sammy manual. Double check that your output is HD or SD whatever the case. There's a button on the remote for this. Good luck.

post #5 of 8 Old 05-06-2007, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

This is where the sammy instructions leave me baffled. It says in "Stop Mode" push and hold sd/hd button. Well it does not tell you what function to be on to get to stop mode and what you will see etc. The only way we can seem to get into the sony logo or menu screen is to select "USB" function, which makes no sense. Then once I get there, sometimes I can push the menu button and get the menu and sometimes I can't. Maybe this has to do with stop mode, i don't know... it doesn't do anything if I push "Stop" and the "Menu". The times I do manage to get the menu to come ip and push and hold sd/hd it does the same thing as trying it at the sony log o scren...which is this: push and hold the sd/hd button and on the theater screen (not the TV screen) it will flash 720p and if you continue doing this you can cycle through 1080i and 480p too. I have tried setting it to each of these then pressing the Aux button on the remote until I am back to HDMI In. I get the same error on the TV whether I have 720, 1080 or 480 selected..."Unsupported signal. Check your device output". So I really do not understand this sammy at all.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-06-2007, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's a thread on another forum, similar problems: http://www.highdefforum.com/showthread.php?t=22676

A brief scan of the discussion did reveal one thing to try I should have mentioned earlier. Plug every thing and then completely power down the Sammy & the cable box. Unplug them if you have to. Leave the TV on and then power back up the cable box then Sammy. In many cases this works for a lot of HDMI connected components.

post #7 of 8 Old 05-06-2007, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Figured it out. Would be nice if the DTV installer could have stuck around to at least set the DVR right. It was set to 480. I figured out I have to push the format button on my DVR remote until 1080 was lit up on the little lights on the top of the DVR . Then suddenly TV appeared while in HDMI In on the theater. Thanks for the suggestions and your time!
post #8 of 8 Old 05-06-2007, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

You're welcome. Its the result that counts. This stuff is supposed to be easy. Let us know how you're getting along with it. You may also want to check out the audio settings in the DVR to make sure you're getting what you want. I set my Moto 3416 to audio pass-through and let the receiver do the decoding. I don't know what your options are but its worth a look see.

Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page