I hope I've come to the right place, cause sales people at electronics stores don't seem to know jack, at least the ones I talked to!
Here's the problem statement:
I just got my new Pioneer 50" HDTV Plazma (YAY!) and now looking for Home Theater system to have everything nice and loud! Budget is around $1000, give or take a hundred.
The catch is that I also need the following to work with TV and sound system (a) computer composite video, optical audio (b) multi-system DVD player (c) X-Box (d) DirectTV HD Receiver. Right now I have them all going directly into the TV and playing through TV speakers.
I was eying Panasonic SC-PT1050 home theater system (disclaimer - I really want to have tall black front speakers just like Panasonic has). The problem is that it comes with DVD player (not AV receiver) and only has one digital audio input and no video inputs. People also told me not to do wireless rear speakers and get a cheaper SC-PT950 instead (what do you think?).
So, the questions:
(1) Are those Panasonic HT systems good quality?
(2) How would I get all the rest of my gadgets hooked up? Purchase AV Receiver separately? What kind is good and would work with those Panasonic speakers?
(3) Can I patch all the video through AV receiver and get that HD picture up-conversion?
(4) Should I look at AV Receiver based home theater systems instead of DVD player based?
(5) Should I be looking for 5.1 surround or 7.1 surround?
Guys, I'd really appreciate your help, I feel pretty lost here