Sony DAV-HDX501W Connection Problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-08-2007, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm admitting ahead of time I'm a total noob, so please go easy...

My questions are: (1) I just received a Sony DAV-HDX501W HTIB with Wireless Surround speaker kit. My problem is no sound comes out of the wireless surround speakers unless I am playing a DVD from the Sony HTIB unit.

I have the following setup:

Westinghouse TX-42F430S LCD TV
Xbox 360 Premium w/ External HD-DVD Drive (Using Component not HDMI)
Dish Network 622 HD-DVR (Using HDMI)

I have the Dish 622 connected to the TV via HDMI
I have the Xbox connected to the TV via Component

I have audio out going from the TV to the Sony HTIB in the TV Input via A/V jacks.

When I run the calibration tests on the Sony HTIB, the wireless surround speakers work fine. When I play DVDs from the Sony unit the speakers work fine. BUT, from any other input (although, they all come from the TV to the Sony) I do not get audio from the rear wireless surround speakers (audio is fine on all other speakers).

Any ideas?

My second ?, not as important - is: I have my computer attached to the TV through an HDMI port using a DVI to HDMI cable. Computer has 7900GS with DVI out. Computer also only has RCA Audio out. Is there any way to get sound from the computer when it is connected to the TV? There is an RCA jack on the TV (attached to VGA input) but when I select HDMI input as the input source, the sound does not work. Also, when plugged into the TV, the computer says there are no speakers connected. Is there any way to get it to play through the Sony HTIB?

Sorry for the super long post and if it's too many ?'s in one I apologize in advance. Any help on these issues would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-29-2007, 03:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
No ideas with your main question (although I'm interested in getting the 501W too, which is how I found your thread... and would probably be using a similar setup, to I'm interested to hear if anyone else has any ideas), but with your second question about getting sound through your PC, I don't think you can get sound using DVI.

I'm sure you probably know, but DVI + Optical = HDMI. DVI is the digital video portion, and optical is the digital audio portion of HDMI.

With no Optical Out on your PC and (I'm guessing) no VGA+RCA input on the Sony Bravia 501W, I'm no guru but I'm guessing your SOL on that one.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-29-2007, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLarryLarry21 View Post

My questions are: (1) I just received a Sony DAV-HDX501W HTIB with Wireless Surround speaker kit. My problem is no sound comes out of the wireless surround speakers unless I am playing a DVD from the Sony HTIB unit.

I have the following setup:

Westinghouse TX-42F430S LCD TV
Xbox 360 Premium w/ External HD-DVD Drive (Using Component not HDMI)
Dish Network 622 HD-DVR (Using HDMI)

I have the Dish 622 connected to the TV via HDMI
I have the Xbox connected to the TV via Component

I have audio out going from the TV to the Sony HTIB in the TV Input via A/V jacks.

When I run the calibration tests on the Sony HTIB, the wireless surround speakers work fine. When I play DVDs from the Sony unit the speakers work fine. BUT, from any other input (although, they all come from the TV to the Sony) I do not get audio from the rear wireless surround speakers (audio is fine on all other speakers).

Any ideas?

Since you've got a two channel audio connection between the TV and receiver, you will not get surround sound from the 622 or Xbox except by applying a sound field like Pro Logic II. The DVD and calibration function work as you would hope even without PLII because the signal paths are wired inside the receiver.

To get surround sound from the 622, connect it to the receiver's SAT/CABLE DIGITAL IN (COAX or OPTICAL depending on what the 622 provides). As for the Xbox, it's not clear from a quick look at the manual whether both SAT/CABLE DIGITAL IN (COAX and OPTICAL) are available for simultaneous use. I'm guessing that they aren't so just leave the 2 channel connection in place between the TV and receiver to handle the Xbox's audio and apply PLII to get 5.1.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page