Philips HTS3450 any good? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-02-2007, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://google-cnet.com.com/home-thea...tml?tag=uoavrg

I don't really know anything about home theaters other then I want one. I will be using the system more for music than for movies, but I would still like to have a good system for movies for the price. I'm looking to spend less than $250 and this seems to be a pretty good buy, but I'm not sure if it is really what I want.

I'm not concerned with having an awesome system, just something that sounds nice. However, I'd like to have something with really nice bass. The reviews seem to say this is a pretty nice system and that the bass is pretty good. It has 250 watts to work with, so that should be able to rumble the floor a little bit I would assume.

I'd like to be able to use this system for the whole time that I'm in college, so another 4 or 5 years. So I'm concerned if this will be upgradeable to play Blu-Ray or HD DVD. I don't think it will since it doesn't have an HDMI input, but I don't know much about that. Will I be able to use this to play those movies? Could I use this with an X360/PS3? I think all of those things require HDMI. What about for plain TV? I've seen some systems that have reviews saying that they won't work with regular cable. Will this one?

Also, could I easily plug this into the headphone input in a laptop to play music off of that? I know that there is some kind of connector needed to do this and I'm not sure if this comes with one. If it doesn't does anyone know what they cost?

Does it come with an HDMI connection? Because I saw that it has HDMI output and I have this TV (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16889022050) which has HDMI input. So they will work together with no problem, right?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I'm not buying something I don't want. Thank you for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-29-2007, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the 3450 by Philips. Got it back last Decemeber to go with my new 46" Sony LCD. I mostly watch tv, with the occasional movie. I have been happy with it. The sound on HD broadcasts is great, with no lack of bass. The dvd quality is good, but no upconvert. The new 3455 (walmart) or 3550 (Best Buy) are both around 200 and do an upconvert to 1080i.

Positives:
USB input. Just plugin a flash drive and use the remote to shuffle thru songs
Aux input. For those with mp3 players, just plug in and go
I am no audiophile, but for my usual tv watching, this system provides good sound. No quality issue at all.

Negatives:
Only negative I can see is that I have not found a good way to program my DVR remote to work 100% with this system. Is it a dvd player? Is it a reveiver? The dvr remote sure doesnt know. Luckily my tv has variable audio out, so I just use the tv volume which adjusts the stereo. For 200 I think it's your best bet
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page