Official Samsung HT-AS720 thread w. updated first post. - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1650 Old 01-03-2008, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys, I got a quick question. I'm setting up this system and I happen to have 2 Boston book shelf speakers (8ohm) laying around. I figured I would go ahead and install 7.1. Does it matter that my front speakers get pushed to the sides? Are the speakers themselves specific to certain locations in the room? I noticed there is a weight difference so I wanted to make sure the speakers weren't jack specific.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1650 Old 01-03-2008, 03:26 PM

I turn my directv hd-dvr and tv on first, then reach over and turn on the samsung receiver. The only time i usually have an issue is when i turn off the PS3 and switch back to the sat. I have tocycle through twice then i get picture.
Weird, but oh,well.
post #633 of 1650 Old 01-03-2008, 11:19 PM

so i exchanged my AS720 because the SR speaker port wasnt working and brought back another one. this still has some handshaking issues but now there is another more irritating problem. the subwoofer keep's cutting out, i can hear it "click" like when you turn the switch off manually but it does it on its own even when no one touches it. i'll play a movie or listen to some music and all of a sudden i notice the sound doesnt sound as rich, i feel the bass and theres nothing coming out of it. it seems like every time i exchange the 720 i keep getting a different problem. now every time this happens, i have to get up, walk over to the subwoofer and switch it off then on again which gets very annoying since this happens every 10-60 minutes. i was planning on getting a longer, better quality subwoofer cable anyway to connect this because i want to move it far from the tv under my bed. do you think this will solve the problem or am i screwed with this defective subwoofer?
post #634 of 1650 Old 01-05-2008, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by House72 View Post

X2 intrested as well. This is where my current setup is now, well tv, Ps3, and Hd player. Wanted to know if it was over kill?, as well as how music sounds on it?

i have this in my bedroom, but dare i say its overkill? is there really such thing as too much? i think its strong enough for a living room but small enough for a bedroom. its just up to you. i posted some pics a few pages back .. of it in my bedroom.

***click my username then "view profile" to see setup***

Blu-Ray forever
:)

xbl gt: x camisado x
post #635 of 1650 Old 01-05-2008, 10:50 AM

I've had this system for a little over a month now and wanted to give a quick review. Overall I am very pleased with the performance and would recommend it to any one with an anynet capable Samsung TV. The more I use it, the more i like it. Digital cable sounds great in surround sound and the system fills my medium sized living room with no problem. The room is about 20' by 15' with cathedral ceilings. Once all the speaker levels were set properly, I can watch movies around 21-23 and TV around 15-18 and both sound great. The system goes up to 45 for reference. Watching my old DVDs is like watching a different (better) movie with the sounds this system produces.

Compared to my old sony surround system, which probably cost more 5 years ago since I bought all the components separately, this is sleeker, has smaller speakers (no more front towers!), and sounds much clearer and I don't have 3 remotes anymore! I can't compare it the any of the onkyo or yahama systems but I would guess for the money and style you can't beat this system.

Here is my complete system:

-Samsung - HT-AS720
-RocketFish wireless rear speaker sender and receiver
-Samsung - LN-T4061F 40" 1080p 60mhz
-Nintendo Wii
-Sony progressive scan DVD player (pretty old)
-HTPC running XP Pro (considering going to Vista Ultimate for media center)
  • NZXT Hush Case (extremely quiet)
  • 8600GT Video Card 512mb
  • Diamond 24 bit 7.1 sound card with Dolby Digital Live
  • 320 GB sata HD
  • AMD 64 X2 5600
  • 2 GB 800mhz ram (may double that shortly)
  • 20X DVDR
  • N Wireless card (connecting to rest of home network)
  • bluetooth keyboard and mouse

I've always had Sony products but the price of the TV was good and the TV looked just as good, if not better than the comparable Sonys. Since I got the Samsung TV, I liked that the receiver matched the TV so I went for it. Once I got a HDMI and an optical cable connecting the TV and receiver the anynet feature was great. At first I was disappointed because I thought I would be able to control all the functions of the receiver with the TV remote. You basically can only turn the receiver on and off and control the volume with the anynet function, it does automatically select the correct source though. After using it for a while I realized that I never pick up the receiver remote anymore. Once all the setting are correct on the receiver the anynet functions are all you need.

The wii is connected via component cables directly to the TV. Cable TV goes directly to the TV. The HTPC video connects to TV via DVI-HDMI and the sound card connects via the optical input on the TV. All the audio then feeds to the reciever via the optical out of the TV to the receiver. The only time I have to select the source on the receiver is when watching DVD's through the stand alone sony DVD player, which is rarely because I tend to watch DVD's through the HTPC since the scaler on the video card in the HTPC is much better than the TV's scaler. I know that feeding all the audio through the TV than to the receiver is not ideal for audio performance but the convenience of using just the TV remote with the anynet feature far out weighs the performance loss. It still sounds great.

The one issue that I have to comment on is that I'm getting a popping sound from the rear left speaker. Unfortunately I haven't narrowed down what is causing this. It only happens once in maybe about 3 hours of audio but it sounds bad and I'm afraid it may damage the speaker. My first guess is that the wireless speaker kit may be causing it, not the receiver itself. Has anyone else had this problem while running the RocketFish wireless rear speaker kit? I'm going to double check all the wiring to see if that corrects the problem.

As far as Blue-Ray or HD DVD, I'm waiting till one wins out or till they come down in price. I've seen a LG drive that reads both for the computer but its still several hundred dollars. I'm gonna try my best to hold out till the price drops a little more....

I'll post some pics soon.
post #636 of 1650 Old 01-05-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrill6288 View Post

I can watch movies around 21-23 and TV around 15-18 and both sound great. The system goes up to 45 for reference.

My system goes up to 60...
post #637 of 1650 Old 01-05-2008, 07:34 PM

I've read all the posts and have seen very different reviews. Some people are very pleased while others experiencing difficulties. Just wondering what is best for this system, coonnecting ps3 to the receiver with optical cable (with hdmi to tv) or hdmi to receiver and another hdmi from receiver out to tv.
post #638 of 1650 Old 01-05-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosebox View Post

My system goes up to 60...

I stand corrected, mine goes to 60 as well.
post #639 of 1650 Old 01-05-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajoyce View Post

I've read all the posts and have seen very different reviews. Some people are very pleased while others experiencing difficulties. Just wondering what is best for this system, coonnecting ps3 to the receiver with optical cable (with hdmi to tv) or hdmi to receiver and another hdmi from receiver out to tv.

HDMI to receiver then HDMI from receiver to TV is the best and easiest.
post #640 of 1650 Old 01-05-2008, 09:34 PM

It sounds so easy and foolproof. I don't understand how people can have such differing experiences with the same system. And thanks to all posters on this topic over the past several months. Your input helps a lot.
post #641 of 1650 Old 01-05-2008, 09:59 PM

It seems like everyone who owns the system has said that they had to play with the settings to get it to sound great. What exactly did you do or change? How did you optimize the system? This will save me and many others a lot of time. Thanks in advance.
post #642 of 1650 Old 01-06-2008, 01:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajoyce View Post

It seems like everyone who owns the system has said that they had to play with the settings to get it to sound great. What exactly did you do or change? How did you optimize the system? This will save me and many others a lot of time. Thanks in advance.

I would like to know this too....

Also right now I have Optical from my Xbox360 (it does have HDMI), and Coaxial from my cable box to the samsung (my cable box has HDMI also).

I did test my setup using HDMI pass-through, and it seemed to work ok. I have a Harmony Xbox360 remote, and it seemed to just not work right this way tho. For instance, when I would use my "watch tv" activity (for those who don't know what I mean, it is just a macro to turn on the everything and set to right inputs etc....) And I could get that to work fine, but when I would switch to "Play Xbox360", it would change to the correct input on the reciver but then switch back to the one for my cable. It would also do it if I tried to switch from "Play Xbox360" to "Watch TV". I don't know if it is just a setting that I need to change on my Harmony Remote. Or the Samsung, or maybe it is the HDMI cables I am using? One is a 6' monoprice 1.3a and two are from a local store that I got for $15.00 each (did not want to wait for monoprice, but now I think I am kicking myself) because they are 1.2 HDMI cables, made by "cables unlimited".
post #643 of 1650 Old 01-06-2008, 06:18 AM

What does everyone have their speaker levels at? I have all of my speakers at 5 which sounds pretty good, but at times the sub is overpowering. For instance, 24 has some series bass tunes in it and rattles my windows at 30.

I'm in an old house, so things rattle. Just trying to get some optimal settings to listen to TV, DVD/HD-DVD's and video games.

For those XBOX users, get the optical cable. It changes the gaming. Call of Duty 4 is almost too real now.
post #644 of 1650 Old 01-06-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooserX View Post

I just picked this system yesterday. I must admit, I had my reservations about it's power after a few people here said it sounded bad, and the subwoofer was weak.

I went to Best Buy, and asked the rep to play the system for me. He turned the knob around a few spins it felt like, and nothing. lol. Then after some fiddling...he turned it to max and FINALLY we heard something. Like the others, it sounded horrible at the store.

Still...it's just SO sexy looking, and some people said not to worry about the sound at the store...so with some slight hesitation, I forked out the dough.

Right out of the box, with the speaker level set to factory settings, it seemed adaquate...more than adaquate really. When I turned up the speaker levels, it really gave me all I needed and then some. I couldn't even max it out because it was just too loud. Also, the subwoofer seemed plenty powerful to me? I'm not an audiophile, but I barely turned up the knob on the subwoofer and the bass was very clear and heavy. When I turned the woofer up more, it was just way too much for me. I'm not sure how people can say it's not strong enough...how much stronger does someone want the bass? it would ruin the sound of the movie or song!

The speakers are also heavy and sound good. I don't know what the difference is in quality speakers and average ones though.

I use Lord of the Rings, Return of the King as my test DVD for sound and picture quality. Needless to say, I freaking love this system. The Nazgul's wings flapping are wicked coming from the subwoofer, as are the Elephant's stomping as the herd is charging. Even when Gandalfs staff is blown apart, you can hear the tiny breaking of pieces. It's an awesome sound system for movies. I wanted to turn it up HIGH, but my wife was complaining around 40.

So my review so far is a huge thumbs up! I don't have a lot of other components to hook up, so I'm not the one to ask about the versatility, but it has 2 HDMI inputs which is 1 more than I need right now. lol

The only bad thing is that I KEEP having DVD/TV issues. I can't get my dvd player to perform perfect...so I may return my Samsung. I got this system because it looks nice and the quality is there...and it went with my Samsung, but if I return my TV...what's the point in this one. Still, it's working great and looks sweet...so I may just keep this even if I get another TV.

My other concern, which isn't a knock on performance, is calibrating the sound of the speakers once I place them around the room. How the hell does one do that?! lol The Onkyo definitely sounds like it has the edge there since it automatically does it with a microphone.

what did you change your settings too?
post #645 of 1650 Old 01-06-2008, 11:07 AM

i heard that mirage speakers are pretty good, the previous owner of the house left some mounted in the rear on the walls. i have the AS720, should i leave the mirage rear speakers up there and use the rear samsung speakers as spares? would the receiver know how to sort out the sound?
post #646 of 1650 Old 01-06-2008, 08:51 PM

I went to wal-mart tonight and purchased some black speaker stands for $29.82 (not including tax). They fit perfect and there is nothing plastic on it! They are made by a company called ATLANTIC INC. Here is there website www.atlantic-inc.com/. The ones on there website look different from the ones I bought and the look nice and stylish and the support is great!!!
post #647 of 1650 Old 01-07-2008, 01:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by chase23_2000 View Post

I went to wal-mart tonight and purchased some black speaker stands for $29.82 (not including tax). They fit perfect and there is nothing plastic on it! They are made by a company called ATLANTIC INC. Here is there website www.atlantic-inc.com/. The ones on there website look different from the ones I bought and the look nice and stylish and the support is great!!!

Yes...they are terrific. Thicker and more solid than stands costing three times as much. They look good also.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5019646

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #648 of 1650 Old 01-07-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrochaos View Post

What does everyone have their speaker levels at? I have all of my speakers at 5 which sounds pretty good, but at times the sub is overpowering. For instance, 24 has some series bass tunes in it and rattles my windows at 30.

I'm in an old house, so things rattle. Just trying to get some optimal settings to listen to TV, DVD/HD-DVD's and video games.

For those XBOX users, get the optical cable. It changes the gaming. Call of Duty 4 is almost too real now.

I have my centre speaker at +2, and the rest at 0. I believe my sub is at 150 crossover, and at 3/4 power on the back. I usually watch TV around 20-30 volume level during the day, 10-20 at night, and movies between 30-40. This is my first surround sound setup and I'm very pleased with it even though I have really configured it much.
post #649 of 1650 Old 01-07-2008, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Go to Radio shack and get an SPL meter. Set it to C weighting and slow response.

Sit in the location from where you will do your listening. Set all the channels levels at 0.

Activate the manual tone through the menu...start with the front left...hold the SPL meter at head level...using the master volume control...raise the volume until you get to 75dbl.

Now go to the center....using the LEVEL setting ( not the master volume) set the level to 75dbl...repeat for each speaker. The subwoofer will read 3bds lower than it actually is (meter is insensitive to low freq)...I have found that setting it hot to 78 (81 actual) gives me the punch I like.

There you go...a cheap and easy calibration. Your 720S will shine.

Do not try to haphazardly set the levels. Use a meter.

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

post #650 of 1650 Old 01-07-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56 View Post

Go to Radio shack and get an SPL meter. Set it to C weighting and slow response.

Sit in the location from where you will do your listening. Set all the channels levels at 0.

Activate the manual tone through the menu...start with the front left...hold the SPL meter at head level...using the master volume control...raise the volume until you get to 75dbl.

Now go to the center....using the LEVEL setting ( not the master volume) set the level to 75dbl...repeat for each speaker. The subwoofer will read 3bds lower than it actually is (meter is insensitive to low freq)...I have found that setting it hot to 78 (81 actual) gives me the punch I like.

There you go...a cheap and easy calibration. Your 720S will shine.

Do not try to haphazardly set the levels. Use a meter.

AWESOME POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #651 of 1650 Old 01-08-2008, 07:48 AM

for the AS720 can anybody tell me where i can get a longer cable for the subwoofer. What type of cable is it also?
post #652 of 1650 Old 01-08-2008, 10:25 AM

Hey Guys...been following this thread for awhile. I know we can't talk prices here but can anyone help me find a place that actually sells this? I went to Best Buy B&M and they advertised as having it but had none in stock. Now bestbuy.com doesn't even show it anymore.

Little help pleeeeeeeease
post #653 of 1650 Old 01-08-2008, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase23_2000 View Post

for the AS720 can anybody tell me where i can get a longer cable for the subwoofer. What type of cable is it also?

Here is a 12 footer. 25 feet is also available.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

post #654 of 1650 Old 01-08-2008, 01:38 PM

Thanks to all here for all of the help.
I've been pouring through these posts and other HTIB threads for weeks trying to decide which one would be right for me.
I finally decided on this system and bought it about a week and a half ago.
I've had one problem.
My setup:

Motorola HD DVR to AVR via HDMI
Sony dvd upcoverter to AVR via HDMI
AVR to Sony 60A2020

Sometimes when I try to watch non-hd channels on my hd cable box, i get no image or sound. I've noticed the cable box will read 480i. If I've understood a previous post correctly, that is the issue.
Am I correct that this is the problem?
If so, can I "fix" the cable box or do I need to get a different one?

Thanks in advance.
Chris
Nashville
post #655 of 1650 Old 01-08-2008, 05:53 PM

Question about connecting my PS3 to my receiver. Initially I had the PS3 connecting to the TV using HDMI, and ran an optical cable to the samsung receiver. When I did this, the receiver showed DTS in red when playing games. When I got my 1.3a monoprice cables I connected the PS3 to the hdmi on the reciever, then from the recieve to my TV, now when I play games its says Multi Channel instead of DTS...Sorry if this is a noob question, but is Multi Channel better than DTS???
post #656 of 1650 Old 01-08-2008, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedmo View Post

Question about connecting my PS3 to my receiver. Initially I had the PS3 connecting to the TV using HDMI, and ran an optical cable to the samsung receiver. When I did this, the receiver showed DTS in red when playing games. When I got my 1.3a monoprice cables I connected the PS3 to the hdmi on the receiver, then from the recieve to my TV, now when I play games its says Multi Channel instead of DTS...Sorry if this is a noob question, but is Multi Channel better than DTS???

When you output audio from the PS3 to the receiver using HDMI, and you have the PS3 set to PCM (which it should be),your receiver will always display multichannel PCM in the presence of a multichannel stream. The PS3 decodes the DTS stream...packages it as a PCM stream, and sends it off to the receiver. This is also true of DD tracks.

If you hook the Samsung receiver to a HD DVD player and select a TrueHD audio stream, it will package it as a PCM stream and the receiver will readout as Multichannel PCM.

If you use optical, and select bitstream, the original audio stream (e.g. DTS) is sent directly to the receiver and decoded as DTS.

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

post #657 of 1650 Old 01-08-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56 View Post

When you output audio from the PS3 to the receiver using HDMI, and you have the PS3 set to PCM (which it should be),your receiver will always display multichannel PCM in the presence of a multichannel stream. The PS3 decodes the DTS stream...packages it as a PCM stream, and sends it off to the receiver. This is also true of DD tracks.

If you hook the Samsung receiver to a HD DVD player and select a TrueHD audio stream, it will package it as a PCM stream and the receiver will readout as Multichannel PCM.

If you use optical, and select bitstream, the original audio stream (e.g. DTS) is sent directly to the receiver and decoded as DTS.

AHHH got it!!! Thanks
post #658 of 1650 Old 01-08-2008, 08:21 PM

Dumb Dumb question here.

Does this unit accept two HDMI sources? I want to run a Toshiba A2 (on the way) and my HD-Cable though this to a Benq W500 projector (which only has one HDMI input and soon to be on the way).

Sooooo close to finishing my theater. Just down to picking the sound system now.
post #659 of 1650 Old 01-08-2008, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paints View Post

Dumb Dumb question here.

Does this unit accept two HDMI sources? I want to run a Toshiba A2 (on the way) and my HD-Cable though this to a Benq W500 projector (which only has one HDMI input and soon to be on the way).

Sooooo close to finishing my theater. Just down to picking the sound system now.

Yes. It has two HDMI inputs.

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

post #660 of 1650 Old 01-08-2008, 10:57 PM

first post here...

okay, so im planning on getting this HTiB but ive got a few questions
1. im going to be making it a 7.1 system, but where can i find the same speakers to match the ones in box?
2. where in hell can i find this thing? everywhere i have looked says its sold out(granted ive looked only at a few places online).
3.and regarding HDMI, how can i tell what version of cables i have?

thought i had more questions than i did...heh
any help will be appreciated.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page