Kex
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by saunupe1911 View Post

Will the sub woofer give you that theatre rumble at 150 watts vs HT-SR800's sub at 230?

The quality of the frequency response below 30Hz is probably a lot more important than watts, but I may be wrong!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1650 Old 09-30-2007, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Not to be pessimistic, but I would doubt that there's ANY frequency response below 30hz on either system. Certainly not enough to "shake the room" or be audible over the other stuff going on in the soundtrack.

BTW, Kex, now it's time for me to say YOU are absolutely right. Where did you see the 4 ohm spec? Samsung's website doesn't even have that HT listed yet....or I couldn't find it at least. If it really is 4 ohm, you're totally right, that could make the power ratings of each unit harder to compare than if they were both 8 ohms.

Stephen
post #63 of 1650 Old 09-30-2007, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
could someone explain about 4ohm and 8ohm for a newb like myself?

why is it so important on this system if it can do 4 ohm?
post #64 of 1650 Old 10-01-2007, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I Googled this article, maybe it'll help: http://www.hometoys.com/htinews/feb0.../impedence.htm

"Vintage" is good for wine, not for A/V equipment.

-Dan D.
post #65 of 1650 Old 10-01-2007, 06:55 AM
Kex
AVS Special Member

This was also discussed earlier in the thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post11757059
post #66 of 1650 Old 10-01-2007, 07:34 AM

Thanks, I saw that but thought it might be different.

Looking forward to more reviews though for sure.
post #67 of 1650 Old 10-01-2007, 07:52 AM
Kex
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdrex28 View Post

could someone explain about 4ohm and 8ohm for a newb like myself?

why is it so important on this system if it can do 4 ohm?

It's all part of the wpc measurement. There is no standard, so everyone does what they want. 100 wpc could mean that the amplifier can drive 100 watts into one channel at any one time. That does not mean it can drive 100 watts into all five or seven channels at the same time. Onkyo usually measure two channels driven (at least they are honest, and state that clearly in their specifications). Harman/kardon usually measure all channels driven (so their claimed wpc are always lower, but probably also more honest).

One of the issues with 4 ohms, is that an amplifier rated at 100 wpc at 8 ohms, might theoretically require 200 wpc (over simplification obvioulsy) to get the same volume with a 4 ohm speaker. This could cause overheating and send the amplifier into "protect" mode to avoid damage. The Samsung is a digital receiver, so the heat issues are not the same as with traditional receivers and they are rating it for 4 ohms anyway. Generally speaking, HTiBs are sometimes accused of measuring power at 4 ohms so that they can double (more or less) the wpc rating (I don't know how true this is or what the limitations of that accusation are).

So, what will be powerful enough? Well, generally speaking, 35 wpc is sometimes cited as "enough to play very loud". More watts beyond that may be useless anyway.

I haven't yet found any other authoritative sources that explain this more clearly in plain language than those already shown.
post #68 of 1650 Old 10-01-2007, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Great explanation Kex...I was trying to think of a simple way to explain it. Glad you beat me to it
post #69 of 1650 Old 10-01-2007, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kex View Post

It's all part of the wpc measurement. There is no standard, so everyone does what they want. 100 wpc could mean that the amplifier can drive 100 watts into one channel at any one time. That does not mean it can drive 100 watts into all five or seven channels at the same time. Onkyo usually measure two channels driven (at least they are honest, and state that clearly in their specifications). Harman/kardon usually measure all channels driven (so their claimed wpc are always lower, but probably also more honest).

One of the issues with 4 ohms, is that an amplifier rated at 100 wpc at 8 ohms, might theoretically require 200 wpc (over simplification obvioulsy) to get the same volume with a 4 ohm speaker. This could cause overheating and send the amplifier into "protect" mode to avoid damage. The Samsung is a digital receiver, so the heat issues are not the same as with traditional receivers and they are rating it for 4 ohms anyway. Generally speaking, HTiBs are sometimes accused of measuring power at 4 ohms so that they can double (more or less) the wpc rating (I don't know how true this is or what the limitations of that accusation are).

So, what will be powerful enough? Well, generally speaking, 35 wpc is sometimes cited as "enough to play very loud". More watts beyond that may be useless anyway.

I haven't yet found any other authoritative sources that explain this more clearly in plain language than those already shown.

Very good explanation. I actually followed you completely. Thank you
post #70 of 1650 Old 10-01-2007, 09:40 AM
Kex
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 View Post

Great explanation Kex...I was trying to think of a simple way to explain it. Glad you beat me to it

Quote:

Very good explanation. I actually followed you completely. Thank you

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys! I try to do my best!
post #71 of 1650 Old 10-01-2007, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlikefire02 View Post

you must have a bluray (like the samsung bdp1400 or pioneer or sony S1/s2000/S500) or hd dud player (i hate them) that does DD TrueHD or DTS HD decoding. if your player has the decoding, the samsung will play it, by passing it through. it just doesnt decode it itself.

As if the relentless Samsung shilling didn't raise enough red flags.

I'll wait for someone who is not an employee or fanboy to post comments as to this system's quality, thank you very much.

Â
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Latest review:
Â
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #72 of 1650 Old 10-01-2007, 11:51 AM

[quote=saunupe1911;11775386]So does this HTIB rock the house or fill a nice size living room at 650 watts (5.1) and 850 (7.1) watts . The HT-SR800 has 1000 watt power with 7.1 sound and every reviewer seems to say that its sound is just booming.
QUOTE]

I spent the weekend enjoying football with my Pio 6010 plasma and the AS720 and the sound coming from Cablevision 8300hd to me is as close as you can get to being in the stadium. My mp3 collection sounds way beyond what I thought I could get out of pc sound [via optical]. I have ordered a tosh hd-a35 to replace my costco a20 so will report that later.
This all from a user with no a/b comparison setup but for my small ears anyhow as good as sound gets in a 20x20 ft room.
post #73 of 1650 Old 10-01-2007, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstronger View Post

as good as sound gets in a 20x20 ft room.

Wow. You're sure easy to please.

"Vintage" is good for wine, not for A/V equipment.

-Dan D.
post #74 of 1650 Old 10-01-2007, 12:39 PM
Kex
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstronger View Post

I spent the weekend enjoying football with my Pio 6010 plasma and the AS720 and the sound coming from Cablevision 8300hd to me is as close as you can get to being in the stadium. My mp3 collection sounds way beyond what I thought I could get out of pc sound [via optical]. I have ordered a tosh hd-a35 to replace my costco a20 so will report that later. ...

bstonger ... just enjoy it! Congratulations on your setup and purchases! Remember you can even upgrade the speakers and subwoofer later from about $250 for 5.1 or $300 for 7.1: it'll be even better! (The subwoofer alone will be $150-250.)
post #75 of 1650 Old 10-01-2007, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonoMan View Post

Wow. You're sure easy to please.

You must be a journalist, you chose only part of what he said to quote.

What he said was:

Quote:

This all from a user with no a/b comparison setup but for my small ears anyhow as good as sound gets in a 20x20 ft room

Note the "to his ears" portion.

Remember, not everyone has thousands to spend on speakers and a receiver. Some people can be very content with a very good system rather than an elite receiver.
post #76 of 1650 Old 10-01-2007, 05:28 PM

is there a HTiB by Samsung a notch below this one? I have friends looking for a decent HTiB, but their max $ is $500 (preferably lower if possible).

Does Samsung have something in the $400 range that's comparable to this in sound, but doesn't necessarily need THD and HDMI (considering the users)?

Thanks,
aC
post #77 of 1650 Old 10-01-2007, 06:12 PM
Kex
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aC39 View Post

is there a HTiB by Samsung a notch below this one? I have friends looking for a decent HTiB, but their max $ is $500 (preferably lower if possible). ...

There are a lot of excellent ways to put together an excellent HT for that budget, you just have to work harder. Check shoponkyo and the HTiB alternatives thread (you will find options to get a HT in several boxes instead of just one!).

http://www.shoponkyo.com/products.cf...ubcat=Receiver
http://www.shoponkyo.com/products.cf...subcat=Systems
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=809777
post #78 of 1650 Old 10-01-2007, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kex View Post

There are a lot of excellent ways to put together an excellent HT for that budget, you just have to work harder. Check shoponkyo and the HTiB alternatives thread (you will find options to get a HT in several boxes instead of just one!).

http://www.shoponkyo.com/products.cf...ubcat=Receiver
http://www.shoponkyo.com/products.cf...subcat=Systems
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=809777

Thanks Kex! I was always more of the individual unit buyer myself, so I'm really not up on the newer HTiB options. I'll definitely look into your recommendations.
post #79 of 1650 Old 10-01-2007, 08:34 PM
Kex
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aC39 View Post

... I was always more of the individual unit buyer myself, so I'm really not up on the newer HTiB options. ...

You'll find deals on Polk Audio speakers at Fry's (from $50 a pair up) and subwoofers such as the Velodyne VX-10 at $150.
post #80 of 1650 Old 10-02-2007, 11:26 PM

I just demoed this speaker system at my local Best Buy. I could not crank it up high enough to get what I was looking for from the sound. The speakers are pretty good. The sub leaves MUCH to be desired. The demo BDVD had some deep bass in it and the sub was not clean at all.

In my opinion, going the KEF route and $300 on a decent receiver will out do this system easily. But, if you want a HTIB, this is hard to beat. It is sexy looking, small enough for wife appeal, and a decent price.

Noob
post #81 of 1650 Old 10-03-2007, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttack1970 View Post

I just demoed this speaker system at my local Best Buy. I could not crank it up high enough to get what I was looking for from the sound. The speakers are pretty good. The sub leaves MUCH to be desired. The demo BDVD had some deep bass in it and the sub was not clean at all.

I completely agree with you. At my Best Buy it was playing the audio of X-Men 3 via a coaxial cable from the matching Samsung Blu-ray player. The clarity was decent enough but when I went to check out the powered woofer I was surprised to find that the nob on the back of the sub was adjusted to the max value. I mean don't get me wrong you can hear it, but I just want more OOPH... especially out of the max value. That and the fact that this system has 4ohm speakers is really bothering me, is there even a benefit to having speakers with such a low resistance?

I'm teetering on the edge of buying this system or just saying screw it. It's a close call so please post what you've observed if you've bought this system or even if you've just demo'd it in store.
post #82 of 1650 Old 10-03-2007, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthsidenike21 View Post

I'm teetering on the edge of buying this system or just saying screw it. It's a close call so please post what you've observed if you've bought this system or even if you've just demo'd it in store.

I went just to look at options. I cannot go with the large footprint speakers. M wife will not allow it. Plus, my daughter would try to climb on the and knock them over or break the cones. For $500, you can get the KEF 2005IIMP. Match this with a good receiver for about $350 and you'll have a great little system. I think I am going to buy the KEF's today, match them to my aging Kenwood 1090VR receiver, then upgrade to something like the Onkyo SR605 or an HK AVR247.

Noob
post #83 of 1650 Old 10-03-2007, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone used Samsung's implementation of HDMI-CEC (Anynet+) with this thing yet? I have a Samsung TV that supports it, and I'm thinking about getting this receiver so I can take advantage of Anynet+, but only if it's actually useful. What I want to do is have the receiver turn on and off automatically when the TV is turned on and off. I also want an on-screen volume display when I adjust the volume on the receiver. Has anyone done this? Thanks!
post #84 of 1650 Old 10-03-2007, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthsidenike21 View Post

Recognize that systems usually sound completely different in your own home than inside a Best Buy. That said, if you're having doubts and feel the system sounds lacking after personally hearing it, I would say don't buy it. Other peoples' reviews shouldn't and don't dictate your own personal tastes and experiences with sound. If you aren't satisfied with the sound, it shouldn't matter what other people say about it. YOU are the one who will be listening to it.
post #85 of 1650 Old 10-03-2007, 03:17 PM

Quote:

Recognize that systems usually sound completely different in your own home than inside a Best Buy. That said, if you're having doubts and feel the system sounds lacking after personally hearing it, I would say don't buy it. Other peoples' reviews shouldn't and don't dictate your own personal tastes and experiences with sound. If you aren't satisfied with the sound, it shouldn't matter what other people say about it. YOU are the one who will be listening to it.

I don't know everything about home theater systems but from what I saw this system was unimpressive for how much $600 is to me. That being said I listened to it on the show floor of a Best Buy which doesn't really led itself to the room I'd place this system in (warehouse vs. bedroom - very different dimensions and acoustics).
Thats why I asked if anyone had it. If someone has it in their home and believes that what I've noticed is totally unfounded then, yea I'd like to know about it and then I'd reconsider.
But until then I appreciate what MacAttack told me earlier and I've taken a liking to the standalone KEF speakers at discount on CircuitCity.com. Powered sub is a plus and the numerous positive comments regarding the system don't hurt either. Now to just find a sleek, powerful, and affordable receiver to go along with it and I might be sold. Possibly the Onkyo TX-SR505S?
post #86 of 1650 Old 10-03-2007, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I can tell you right now, regardless of what you thought of the Samsung HTIB, the KEF speakers will be MUCH better. It shouldn't even be close.

If the 505 has the connectivity you require, it should do you just fine. Pioneer has some good models in that price range too (817/917). Also, if you like Harman Kardon their bottom of the line AVR 147 is around the same price as the 505. Don't underestimate HK's power ratings - their receivers are more than capable of producing clean powerful sound, especially for a bedroom. If you really want a great deal, look on HK or Onkyo's websites for refurbs. Good luck.
post #87 of 1650 Old 10-03-2007, 04:11 PM

Quote:

I can tell you right now, regardless of what you thought of the Samsung HTIB, the KEF speakers will be MUCH better. It shouldn't even be close.

If the 505 has the connectivity you require, it should do you just fine. Pioneer has some good models in that price range too (817/917). Also, if you like Harman Kardon their bottom of the line AVR 147 is around the same price as the 505. Don't underestimate HK's power ratings - their receivers are more than capable of producing clean powerful sound, especially for a bedroom. If you really want a great deal, look on HK or Onkyo's websites for refurbs. Good luck.

What are the KEF everyone keeps talking about?

can someone link those?
post #88 of 1650 Old 10-03-2007, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I wish they sold the AS720 receiver without the speakers. I'm leaning towards getting the package, but using the receiver with a set of Sonance Moderno in-wall speakers from Best Buy. The center speaker has an impedance of 6 ohms, but the rest of the speakers are 8 ohms. Any opinions on how this receiver would do with these type of speakers?
post #89 of 1650 Old 10-03-2007, 04:32 PM

I listened to this system at best buy... It sounded really good with the volume at max. Unfortunately, I was still able to hear all the tv's in the background and able to have a conversation with the salesman while it was turned to max. It still is loud enough (you don't want to be deafened).... and it looks beautiful.

In the end, it's like most electronics, you get what you pay for. It doesn't jump out as being a great value, but it isn't a bad purchase either, especially if you want something beautiful.
post #90 of 1650 Old 10-03-2007, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoHD View Post

I wish they sold the AS720 receiver without the speakers. I'm leaning towards getting the package, but using the receiver with a set of Sonance Moderno in-wall speakers from Best Buy. The center speaker has an impedance of 6 ohms, but the rest of the speakers are 8 ohms. Any opinions on how this receiver would do with these type of speakers?

It's not good news, refer to earlier in this thread for some discussion regarding 8ohm speakers and this particular receiver. In short you'll be getting 50w per channel, which frankly ain't worth 600 dollars.
Quote:

What are the KEF everyone keeps talking about?
can someone link those?

Circuit City is the best deal on these speakers. http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/KEF-H...Detail.do#tabs

By the way, I appreciate everyone's input on my post earlier. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

EDIT: Quick question. I've never had a powered sub in a home theater system. Does a powered sub require a different connection from the receiver than that of an ordinary passive sub woofer?
EDIT 2: I found this out my own on the KEF website.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page