post #91 of 1649 Old 10-03-2007, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nthsidenike21 View Post

It's not good news, refer to earlier in this thread for some discussion regarding 8ohm speakers and this particular receiver. In short you'll be getting 50w per channel, which frankly ain't worth 600 dollars.

Yeah, I know that will limit the output to 50w per channel, but I also saw a post saying that you don't really need anything over 35w per channel anyway. I'm no audiophile, I really just want a surround system that sounds "pretty good". The only real reason, I'm looking at this Samsung set is that I really want to use the Anynet+ functionality and I can't find any other Samsung stand-alone receivers. No place locally has this thing in stock, so I'm just trying to get opinions as to how it would sound with some in-wall speakers before I order it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1649 Old 10-03-2007, 05:44 PM

You can buy this receiver as a stand-alone?
post #93 of 1649 Old 10-03-2007, 06:04 PM

I installed the a35 replacing an a20 from costco for net up about 15% and had it in two days thanks to Robert at ****************. I mostly have enjoyed the subtle background sounds coming off the Planet earth material. Now i am launched into programming a harmony remote to handle the new gear and it is becomng a lot of trial and error. If anyone hs done this for the avr720 and has tips please pass along. DVD and sat are hdmi in/out and PC is optical in.
post #94 of 1649 Old 10-03-2007, 06:18 PM

Any idea on whether or not CC will get this in?

they carry alot of other Samsung products and audio systems.
post #95 of 1649 Old 10-03-2007, 06:29 PM
Kex
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anezthetik View Post

I listened to this system at best buy... It sounded really good with the volume at max. ...

A word to the wise: If you run any receiver at max, you are risking killing your speakers (low powered AVRs blow more speakers than high powered AVRs because of distortion and clipping). It is best not to run your AVR beyond the 12 o' clock position on the volume knob, or 2 o' clock at the max, maybe. That would equate to -16dB or up to -10dB at the max on receivers that don't have a "mechanical" scale (LED display of volume level only).

If your AVR and speakers are what you need, you shouldn't really want to go beyond these levels anyway.
post #96 of 1649 Old 10-03-2007, 07:33 PM

Well, after reading all this I decided to go to BB and try it myself.
They didn't have anything connected to it so I tried the stereo only. It sounded good, cranked almost all the volume and it was loud, and the sub didn't give as much as I expected but it was "ok".
Now, when buying a system like this to go and enjoy our favorite movies or programs do we really need a system that will leave us deaf after the movie, or are we just looking for awesome and clear sound??? and is this system capable of providing it?
Besides its $600 in comparison to $400 or even $350 Sony or Onkyo systems that have more than great reviews, I really want the true HDMI connection.
I really liked this system, but I will really appreciate another review of another owner.
post #97 of 1649 Old 10-03-2007, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just meant stand-alone as in it doesn't have a built-in DVD player like the other Samsung HTiB options.
post #98 of 1649 Old 10-04-2007, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chekoman View Post

Well, after reading all this I decided to go to BB and try it myself.
They didn't have anything connected to it so I tried the stereo only. It sounded good, cranked almost all the volume and it was loud, and the sub didn't give as much as I expected but it was "ok".
Now when buying a system like this to go and enjoy our favorite movies or programs do we really need a system that will leave us deaf after the movie, or are we just looking for awesome and clear sound??? and is this system capable of providing it?
Besides its $600 in comparison to $400 or even $350 Sony or Onkyo systems that have more than great reviews
I really liked this system, but I will really appreciate another review of another owner.

For a HTIB, this is not a bad choice. However, for slightly more money, you can get a much better system. KEF's KHT2005IIMP is selling for $500, less with coupons. You can get a good receiver for $350-$450 (Denon AVR1508, Onkyo TX-SR605). There are other models that can be found for $200 or less too.
This setup will blow away any HTIB.

Noob
post #99 of 1649 Old 10-04-2007, 01:10 AM

Quote:

It was announced in August at IFA as available initially in Germany as the AV-R720.
post #100 of 1649 Old 10-04-2007, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttack1970 View Post

For a HTIB, this is not a bad choice. However, for slightly more money, you can get a much better system. KEF's KHT2005IIMP is selling for $500, less with coupons. You can get a good receiver for $350-$450 (Denon AVR1508, Onkyo TX-SR605). There are other models that can be found for $200 or less too.

Blow away 'ANY' what when and how? The whole 'HTIB' idea is rapidly changing as non audiophiles just want great sound to go with their great new TVs. This Samsung is sold as 'AV receiver with speaker system'. Don't let the labels confuse things. The idea that buying speakers in seperate boxes is necessary for great sound is fading fast - as is vey evident here.
post #101 of 1649 Old 10-04-2007, 05:27 AM

Quote:

The thing with this setup that you suggest is that it doesn't have true HDMI connection (video only, need separate cables for audio), the HT-AS720 has it, I'm only connecting a PS3 and a HD Cable receiver, so the 2 full HDMI connections is a must for me!!!

I guess I just want to know how does perform at home, if it has what it takes for $600.
post #102 of 1649 Old 10-04-2007, 07:26 AM

Quote:

The thing with this setup that you suggest is that it doesn't have true HDMI connection (video only, need separate cables for audio), the HT-AS720 has it, I'm only connecting a PS3 and a HD Cable receiver, so the 2 full HDMI connections is a must for me!!!

I guess I just want to know how does perform at home, if it has what it takes for $600.

Don't get me wrong, I am not an audiophile. I demo'd this at BB in the open air (not in the HT room). The volume has to be cranked up quite high. The speakers sound is just OK, probably not much better than the speakers on the Samsung LCD they were hooked up to. The subwoofer could not hit the low frequencies and when it did, all the bas was mudded.

To my ears, this system just didn't cut it. There was another Samsung system for about $300 that sounded much better.

For the True HDMI (which I didn't know about), I would agree. It is definitely changing what I need a receiver.

Noob
post #103 of 1649 Old 10-04-2007, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Don't get me wrong, I am not an audiophile. I demo'd this at BB in the open air (not in the HT room). The volume has to be cranked up quite high. The speakers sound is just OK, probably not much better than the speakers on the Samsung LCD they were hooked up to. The subwoofer could not hit the low frequencies and when it did, all the bas was mudded.

To my ears, this system just didn't cut it. There was another Samsung system for about $300 that sounded much better.

For the True HDMI (which I didn't know about), I would agree. It is definitely changing what I need a receiver.

Do you think the poor sound quality had more to do with the receiver or the speakers?

What do people mean when they say that this receiver can't do "true" HDMI?
post #104 of 1649 Old 10-04-2007, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

The thing with this setup that you suggest is that it doesn't have true HDMI connection (video only, need separate cables for audio)

That's what people are talking about. HDMI is capable of carrying both video and audio signals. However, many lower-end systems only carry video over HDMI, requiring separate connections (RCA, digital coaxial, optical) to carry the audio from the sources to the receiver.
post #105 of 1649 Old 10-04-2007, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 View Post

That's what people are talking about. HDMI is capable of carrying both video and audio signals. However, many lower-end systems only carry video over HDMI, requiring separate connections (RCA, digital coaxial, optical) to carry the audio from the sources to the receiver.

But it says in the manual that HDMI will carry audio and video and there is no need to connect separate audio cables. Am I missing something?
post #106 of 1649 Old 10-04-2007, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Just to clarify, which unit are we talking about? There have been numerous products discussed on this thread. Tell me which one you're talking about so I know we're on the same page.
post #107 of 1649 Old 10-04-2007, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just to clarify, which unit are we talking about? There have been numerous products discussed on this thread. Tell me which one you're talking about so I know we're on the same page.

The Samsung HT-AS720.
post #108 of 1649 Old 10-04-2007, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, the Samsung HT-AS720 does do video and audio through HDMI. I don't think you're missing anything. Whoever talked about a receiver not passing both audio and video over HDMI must have either been referring to a different product or didn't know the Samsung was capable of doing both.
post #109 of 1649 Old 10-04-2007, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think these are the models that were referred to that do not do both audio and video over HDMI.
post #110 of 1649 Old 10-04-2007, 12:19 PM

the 605's dont do audio and video over hdmi?? that's just silly. They are the best selling receivers out there. next thing people will tell me that they can't do fm.

I think the receiver not doing both video and audio was the samsung htib one price level below this one. (don't remember the model name)
post #111 of 1649 Old 10-04-2007, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, the Samsung HT-AS720 does do video and audio through HDMI. I don't think you're missing anything. Whoever talked about a receiver not passing both audio and video over HDMI must have either been referring to a different product or didn't know the Samsung was capable of doing both.

Okay, now that we're sure we're talking about the same receiver, does anyone have any opinions on how well this Samsung receiver would work with Sonance 8 ohm in-wall speakers? I know that this may not be the best receiver for the price if I'm not going to use the included speakers, but it's the only one I can find that supports Anynet+. Do you think it would sound okay or horrible?
post #112 of 1649 Old 10-04-2007, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

correct me if im wrong but are you guys still not focusing on that this samsung has DTS HD and Dolby TrueHD passthrough? I dont see that in ANY reciever under 1000 dollars. SR800 couldnt even come close when comparing the true hdmi capabilites and TrueHD and DTSHD. nor could the SS2000 with its 2 decoders. yes its 600. but for that price you get the latest in HTIB technology, expandability, and even some very sleek and sexy looks.

***click my username then "view profile" to see setup***

Blu-Ray forever
:)

xbl gt: x camisado x
post #113 of 1649 Old 10-04-2007, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anezthetik View Post

the 605's dont do audio and video over hdmi?? that's just silly. They are the best selling receivers out there. next thing people will tell me that they can't do fm.

I think the receiver not doing both video and audio was the samsung htib one price level below this one. (don't remember the model name)

Anezthetik is right. Sorry I didn't look carefully at the model numbers.
post #114 of 1649 Old 10-04-2007, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Unless anynet+ is a HUGE deal for you, I'd say the Onkyo 605, which DOES do audio and video over HDMI, as well as TrueHD/Master Audio would be much better sound quality than the Samsung AS720's receiver. Looks like we'll have to wait for official reviews. It's still pretty new and I haven't seen reviews of the Samsung anywhere.
post #115 of 1649 Old 10-04-2007, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Unless anynet+ is a HUGE deal for you, I'd say the Onkyo 605, which DOES do audio and video over HDMI, as well as TrueHD/Master Audio would be much better sound quality than the Samsung AS720's receiver. Looks like we'll have to wait for official reviews. It's still pretty new and I haven't seen reviews of the Samsung anywhere.

I wish I could get a better idea of how well Anynet+ works. If it seamlessly integrates the receiver with the TV, then it would be a HUGE deal for me. But if it's kinda kludgey, then I'd rather spend the money on a better sounding receiver. I guess I won't really know unless I give it a try.
post #116 of 1649 Old 10-04-2007, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoHD View Post

I wish I could get a better idea of how well Anynet+ works. If it seamlessly integrates the receiver with the TV, then it would be a HUGE deal for me. But if it's kinda kludgey, then I'd rather spend the money on a better sounding receiver. I guess I won't really know unless I give it a try.

i can explain .. since i have anynet .. all you do is hit power on the blur ray and the movie will start and turn on your tv by itself. its so sweet. and with this reciever its 1 touch does all also.

Blu-Ray forever

post #117 of 1649 Old 10-04-2007, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlikefire02 View Post

i can explain .. since i have anynet .. all you do is hit power on the blur ray and the movie will start and turn on your tv by itself. its so sweet. and with this reciever its 1 touch does all also.

Excellent! So do you suppose that it can be set to turn the receiver on and off every time the TV is powered on or off and adjust the volume on the receiver when it needs to instead of the TV? If you turn off your blu-ray does the TV turn off? Thanks!
post #118 of 1649 Old 10-04-2007, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoHD View Post

Excellent! So do you suppose that it can be set to turn the receiver on and off every time the TV is powered on or off and adjust the volume on the receiver when it needs to instead of the TV? If you turn off your blu-ray does the TV turn off? Thanks!

yes i do. they are ALL supposed to work in conjunction. yes, if i turn my blu ray off the tv also turns off. you can program it however you like, AND to top it off one remote does it all, volume, inputs, and all.

Blu-Ray forever

post #119 of 1649 Old 10-04-2007, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlikefire02 View Post

yes i do. they are ALL supposed to work in conjunction. yes, if i turn my blu ray off the tv also turns off. you can program it however you like, AND to top it off one remote does it all, volume, inputs, and all.

That's what I'm looking for. I guess I'll give the Samsung a shot! Thanks again.
post #120 of 1649 Old 10-04-2007, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

TiVo .. I would wait til that price drops a bit, i know they had it at 569.99 the other day at BB and JR's has it at 499 plus ship. might want to wait til people start carrying it and get competative. plus i want to see this onkyo 750 official specs in more detail.

Blu-Ray forever

Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page