Official Samsung HT-AS720 thread w. updated first post. - Page 53 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1561 of 1650 Old 04-28-2009, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Everybody,

I have a similar question to jivan89's. I want my Radeon HD48xx (not bought yet) to send the audio and video signal through one cable towards the receiver, but I don't know if the AV-R720 is capable of full HDMI processing: sending decoded audio signal to the speakers and video signal to the LCD TV via its HDMI output.
I was sure that it can do that, but a comment below engadgetHD's AS730 review said that the new receiver can't do that, which surprised me. I decided on asking for a straight answer here.

Thanks for the answers in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 1650 Old 04-28-2009, 03:21 PM

Is it worth getting just for the anynet feature? Will my Samsung Blu ray work with anynet if hooked up HDMI to AS720/730, then HDMI from AS720/730 to my samsung TV?
post #1563 of 1650 Old 04-29-2009, 08:45 AM

Hi everyone,

for Balika911, I have the HT-AS730 and the receiver is able to receive the LPCM audio up to 7.1 from the ps3 and able to show the video on the screen with the hdmi output at 1080p.

For the others, everytime I set my setting on the receiver and put it in stanby mode, when I turn it back on, I lost every pre-made setting. The receiver should at least remember the radio preset and inputs.

Why the receiver is doing this????

Thanks

peterluc80
post #1564 of 1650 Old 05-01-2009, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterluc80 View Post

I have the HT-AS730 and the receiver is able to receive the LPCM audio up to 7.1 from the ps3 and able to show the video on the screen with the hdmi output at 1080p.

I suppose that an appropriate VGA card is also ok as the source, so it seems that your answer has saved me a lot of bucks... altough the standby issue seems to be quite annoying. I hope there will be a solution to it.

Thank you very much!
post #1565 of 1650 Old 05-02-2009, 01:09 PM

I've read through the thread and I can't seem to find my specific situation so any help would be greatly appreciated.

How would you guys go about setting up this system?

Panasonic Viera Plasma (3 hdmi inputs / 1 optical out)
Samsung AV-R720
PS3
ATT - Uverse Box
PC - Has a DVI for video and optical out for audio
Wii

My question is this when I hook up the PC through the HTIB using HDMI 1 (DVD), since the PC only outputs the video through the DVI - HDMI then how could I still listen to my audio since it would be going into a different input (digital in - dvd)

I would highly like to avoid hooking the PC up to the TV b/c for whatever reason the Panasonic TV I have has a problem with PC and hooking them into it's HDMI 1 or 2 input and needs to be in the frong HDMI 3 input which looks terrible. However, to this point that is how it has been done w/ the PC in HDMI 3 on the TV and analog out to the HTIB (this was before I realized I had optical out on my PC)

Also, when I plug in my PS3 to the HTIB I get a black with scraggly lines issue. (Assuming this is the "handshake" issue that others have described on here.) Could you inform me of how this can be handled.

Thanks.
post #1566 of 1650 Old 05-03-2009, 12:17 PM

hi everybody I have the AS270. My question may be a bit different. I was thinking about replacing the compact center channel speaker but i found this is a 4 ohm system. Its been hard to find a 4 ohm center channel speaker. Would I be able to run an 8ohm center channel speaker to this unit? Would the sound be effected in a negative way?

Other wise i love his unit except for the PS3 handshake issue.
post #1567 of 1650 Old 05-03-2009, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

I think you can use 8 ohm speakers. It's been discussed before in this thread.
post #1568 of 1650 Old 05-03-2009, 12:33 PM

Oh i didnt know i was searching online and nothing ever came up. Thanks for the help!
post #1569 of 1650 Old 05-05-2009, 11:00 AM

sorry to be such a nuisance..But i have one more issue. Then I watch movies from my PS3 on my Samsung LN46A650 i do notice a slight lip sync issue. i have the 120hz set on the lowest setting and every thing is hooked up via Philips HDMI v1.3

It just seems that the voices aren't totally in sync.

Is there any thing anyone can help me with as to fix this problem?
post #1570 of 1650 Old 05-08-2009, 11:56 AM

check to see if youve introduced a delay in any of your speaker settings. i know most of the lip sync issues ive had all ended up being the source materials fault.
post #1571 of 1650 Old 05-08-2009, 11:14 PM

I have this and I have a question.

If I'm running my xbox 360 through this, and then through a capture card, and then into my TV, will the capture card be able to capture the audio too? This is all being done via HDMI.

Also, if I go the other way around would it work? As the capture card has an output of HDMI. Could I go xbox 360 to capture card to surround to TV?

HELP!?!?
post #1572 of 1650 Old 05-10-2009, 03:08 PM

E outlet Canada has refurbs AS-720's for $210, Mothers Day special, not sure about shipping.
post #1573 of 1650 Old 05-12-2009, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone's remote stop working? for some reason i no longer have vol. control and a few others, sometimes they work and sometimes they don't i guess i have to see if i can get a replacement under warranty.
post #1574 of 1650 Old 05-22-2009, 07:52 AM

Anyone interested in this set check your local Bestbuy's. I just found a display model of this set up for 150 bux. Works great, no issues.

Just passing along my good luck (and maybe a little boasting)
post #1575 of 1650 Old 05-25-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnwhtlw View Post

Anyone interested in this set check your local Bestbuy's. I just found a display model of this set up for 150 bux. Works great, no issues.

Just passing along my good luck (and maybe a little boasting)

That's a great deal. Best Buy's website shows the AS730 on sale for $449.
post #1576 of 1650 Old 05-26-2009, 02:21 AM

Hi all, i'm having an issue and I don't know if its due to "handshaking", my setup, or a defective AV-R720 unit.

I was using this HTIB system strictly with my HTPC and Samsung LCD TV. The HTPC is hooked up via HDMI to the Receiver and I play videos, dvds, etc. However, sometimes when I pause and resume or switch from a youtube video to a dvd I get this loud static hiss that has a stutter to it.
I thought this was just due to the HTPC but now that I have a Dish Network PVR attached the system via HDMI I've started to notice the same issue when I pause a tv show and resume it. I get this random stuttering static noise for about 4-5 seconds and then it goes away. Sometimes I get my normal audio back and sometimes it just goes mute and then gives me the static for 5 more seconds and goes mute, like a cycle. Today is gave me the static when i resumed from a tv show and then said "Not Supported" on the receiver. I had to turn it off and turn it back on so it would give me audio.

This doesn't occur everytime I switch from Youtube to a DVD or everytime I pause a show on the DVR and resume. It happens at random but quite frequently.

If this helps...right now i'm on my HTPC and playing a movie in the background, the receiver says "Dolby Digital" on the left and "Digital" on the right, the input says DVD. If I pause the movie, it just says "DVD" and the other wording goes away. If I exit the CyberDVD program then it reads "L.PCM DIGITAL LIVE SURR." on the receiver. Can I keep it from "looking" for new signal and just keep on "D. Digital" or "L.PCM Digital" permanently ?

Is it due to using HDMI ? Is it a "handshaking" problem ?

Thanks for any help.
post #1577 of 1650 Old 05-27-2009, 11:26 AM

I need help setting up my system since I'm a completely new to this.

So far i have
1) Cable box to receiver via hdmi
2) PS3 to receiver via hdmi and optical audio from PS3 to receiver

The cable box setup is fine but the ps3 setup is not working. When i set it to "DVD optic 1", there's sound but no picture and when i set it to "DVD HDMI 1" there's picture but no sound. Anyone could help me please?
post #1578 of 1650 Old 05-31-2009, 01:23 PM

Referring back to the reply mentioning Matrix mode ...

Recently, after moving my Samsung AS-HS720S system from one cabinet to another ...... I now find that all 5 speakers work with satellite input but only the front speakers work when in DVD mode.

While in DVD mode, the receiver unit shws that I am in PLII mode and when I try to go to Matrix mode (which results in sound from all 5 speakers) it only remains in Matrix mode for a few seconds.

What am I doing wrong? Thanx
post #1579 of 1650 Old 06-01-2009, 12:48 PM

Hi All,

Just wanted to say thanks for all the great info on this forum. I also wanted to share with you my setup. I have been able to eliminate the use of many cables to just three!

I have both my Samsung Blu Ray Player BD-P3600 and TimeWarner Cable Box with HDMI Output connected to my LG 42" (42LG50) FLATSCREEN TV using HDMI cables and one fiber optic cable connecting the TV to my Samsung HT-AS720 Stereo!!!

-El Joe
post #1580 of 1650 Old 06-01-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja25921 View Post

Hi All,

Just wanted to say thanks for all the great info on this forum. I also wanted to share with you my setup. I have been able to eliminate the use of many cables to just three!

I have both my Samsung Blu Ray Player BD-P3600 and TimeWarner Cable Box with HDMI Output connected to my LG 42" (42LG50) FLATSCREEN TV using HDMI cables and one fiber optic cable connecting the TV to my Samsung HT-AS720 Stereo!!!

-El Joe

With that setup, you are only sending 2 ch. stereo to your AVR – optical cables can only handle 2 ch. stereo. Your AVR will read PLIIx, which takes 2 ch. stereo and turns it into a fake 5 ch. surround. Each channel will not be discrete.

For the best sound, connect your Blu-ray and cable box to your AVR with HDMI, and then your AVR to your TV with HDMI. You will be able to take advantage of your Blu-ray's ability to decode the HD audio.

You will be amazed at the better sound and how much clearer and crisp the sound is.
post #1581 of 1650 Old 06-01-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopas View Post

With that setup, you are only sending 2 ch. stereo to your AVR – optical cables can only handle 2 ch. stereo. Your AVR will read PLIIx, which takes 2 ch. stereo and turns it into a fake 5 ch. surround. Each channel will not be discrete.

For the best sound, connect your Blu-ray and cable box to your AVR with HDMI, and then your AVR to your TV with HDMI. You will be able to take advantage of your Blu-ray's ability to decode the HD audio.

You will be amazed at the better sound and how much clearer and crisp the sound is.

06-01-09 SOPAS Agree with you 100%. This is the best set-up.
I would only add one thing. In oder to get Anynet+ to function I had to hookup a digital optical cable from TV out to Reciever in[the one marked Optical 3/TV-Anynet+ on the AS730].It would be Optical 2/SAT-Anynet+ on the AS720.It actually shows this in the set-up insrtuctions for the HTIB.I guess the remote control signal is passed thru on this cable from the TV to the HTIB. It can't run on the HDMI cable because the signal is going the opposite direction[HTIB to TV] on that cable.
If you are not using Anynet+ you don't need the optical cable.

06-02-09 Here is a link to a Samsung information booklet on hooking up Samsung Home Theater to Samsung TV and getting Anynet+ to function. MUST use the digital audio optical cable
as well as the HDMI cable between the 2 units. http://www.samsung.com/us/support/po...ype=&model_nm=
post #1582 of 1650 Old 06-08-2009, 07:54 AM

Liked: 12
Im selling my speakers from this HTIB

They are new. Asking $50 Shipped for all 5

PM me for details
post #1583 of 1650 Old 06-08-2009, 07:55 AM

Very informative post ..
post #1584 of 1650 Old 06-10-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahspao View Post

Hi all, i'm having an issue and I don't know if its due to "handshaking", my setup, or a defective AV-R720 unit.

I was using this HTIB system strictly with my HTPC and Samsung LCD TV. The HTPC is hooked up via HDMI to the Receiver and I play videos, dvds, etc. However, sometimes when I pause and resume or switch from a youtube video to a dvd I get this loud static hiss that has a stutter to it.
I thought this was just due to the HTPC but now that I have a Dish Network PVR attached the system via HDMI I've started to notice the same issue when I pause a tv show and resume it. I get this random stuttering static noise for about 4-5 seconds and then it goes away. Sometimes I get my normal audio back and sometimes it just goes mute and then gives me the static for 5 more seconds and goes mute, like a cycle. Today is gave me the static when i resumed from a tv show and then said "Not Supported" on the receiver. I had to turn it off and turn it back on so it would give me audio.

This doesn't occur everytime I switch from Youtube to a DVD or everytime I pause a show on the DVR and resume. It happens at random but quite frequently.

If this helps...right now i'm on my HTPC and playing a movie in the background, the receiver says "Dolby Digital" on the left and "Digital" on the right, the input says DVD. If I pause the movie, it just says "DVD" and the other wording goes away. If I exit the CyberDVD program then it reads "L.PCM DIGITAL LIVE SURR." on the receiver. Can I keep it from "looking" for new signal and just keep on "D. Digital" or "L.PCM Digital" permanently ?

Is it due to using HDMI ? Is it a "handshaking" problem ?

Thanks for any help.

I have the exact same problem! Did you figure out how to fix it by any chance?
post #1585 of 1650 Old 06-11-2009, 10:09 AM

Ok, this is really starting to piss me off. Does it mean that my unit is defective or there's something I'm missing? I'm having problems with both my PVR and my HTPC. Whenever I switch feed, or I pause then resume, the sound drops for a random amount of time (as low as 1 sec, as high as a minute). And sometimes, I get a really loud hissing sound that is unbearable.
I called Samsung, they are as useless as their manual. And I bought this unit in February and had made a quick test back then, everything seemed to be working fine. But I had to wait for all the renovations in my new condo to be done to hook it up. And because of that, I'm out of warranty now, as I only had 3 month, it was refurbished
I really hope someone can help me out. When it works, it works really nice. But the audio dropping is a showstopper!
post #1586 of 1650 Old 06-12-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgege View Post

Ok, this is really starting to piss me off. Does it mean that my unit is defective or there's something I'm missing? I'm having problems with both my PVR and my HTPC. Whenever I switch feed, or I pause then resume, the sound drops for a random amount of time (as low as 1 sec, as high as a minute). And sometimes, I get a really loud hissing sound that is unbearable.
I called Samsung, they are as useless as their manual. And I bought this unit in February and had made a quick test back then, everything seemed to be working fine. But I had to wait for all the renovations in my new condo to be done to hook it up. And because of that, I'm out of warranty now, as I only had 3 month, it was refurbished
I really hope someone can help me out. When it works, it works really nice. But the audio dropping is a showstopper!

To add to my story, I don't have this problem when I use an optical cable, just with HDMI. For now, I hooked up all my devices to my TV (HDMI) and I have an optical cable running form the TV to my receiver. It works ok, but I would much rather go HDMI all the way.
If anyone can help me out, please, do not hesitate!
post #1587 of 1650 Old 08-03-2009, 11:39 AM

I just purchased the HT-AS720 with Samsung blu-ray player from best buy for $150 open box.. honestly i dont want to return it because i feel like they made a mistake in ringing it up because there is no way this system with blu-ray player could be only $150 even though it did not come with speaker wires or a remote.. i bought 16 gauge speaker wire from radio shack and everything works fine as far as sound through the speakers.. my connections are as follows:

Blu-Ray Player > HDMI > AVR
Scientific Atlanta Cable Box > HDMI > AVR
AVR > HDMI > TV

My speakers work fine when i use my cable box connected through SAT HDMI 2.. i can put it on SAT MULTI-CH and get full sound and on the OSD there is a picture showing all the speakers that are connected and it says "linear pcm".. if i connect my blu-ray player through this input it works fine.. but when trying to connect my blu-ray player through DVD HDMI 1 i get no sound, the speaker icons on the front display dont show up and there is nothing that says linear pcm.. ive tried to fiddle with the settings as much as i can but to no avail.. any ideas why this could be happening?
post #1588 of 1650 Old 08-05-2009, 03:22 PM

Is there any samsung 7.1 demo's I can download to test on my PS3 and this receiver? I know a couple people who are not convinced HD sound and video is much better than DVD.

maybe something like this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ1MOWg15Ec
post #1589 of 1650 Old 08-07-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koobs View Post

count your speakers... you only have 5 man. you cant get 7.1 sound from a 5.1 system.

Ohhhhh yes yes yes...... This system, you take 2 extra speakers, and you have the option of placing them both as the rear center channel, spread about 3-4 feet apart, facing down at you.
post #1590 of 1650 Old 08-07-2009, 03:39 PM

[quote=Bad_Boy_;16950167]Is there any samsung 7.1 demo's I can download to test on my PS3 and this receiver? I know a couple people who are not convinced HD sound and video is much better than DVD.

Yes do a search for "Dobly Digital THX demo DVD" on that is the DTS 7.1 pod race from the phantom menace.

Fire up gladiator, the DVD (2000) that has DTS 6.1 for sure and sounds great, as i own it and tested it.

Xmen 3 has DTS 6.1 as well.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page