Forum Jump: 

post #1621 of 1649 Old 02-04-2010, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicanwin View Post

I've owned the system since it first came out in the US, and about a month ago, the system started a popping noise in the front right channel. I've seen several others on the net with the same problem and it seem that as if it is a motherboard problem which will need to be professionally repaired, if it can be at all. As the unit is out of warranty, I think it might make more economic sense just to buy a new amp.

Here's my quesion: Can I replace just the head/receiver unit with another receiver? Will the subwoofer and speakers work with any middle price range receivers?

Thanks!

Mine started popping about 2 months ago... Now, no sound at all, except for 1/2 sound from the sub. This thing has been nothing but problems since I purchased it. I have probably got to watch the equivalent of 35 movies on it in the past year and a half, and now its dead and the warranty is gone.

Yippee!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 1649 Old 02-10-2010, 10:52 AM

So, I have this system for quite a long time, and still very satisfied with it. Well, I was wondering if any of the handshaking problems have been fixed?

I own a Samsung Ln52A650, this HTIB, and a ps3. I read that plugging ps3 into the HDMI satellite port gets rid of the handshake issue? Anybody confirm this?

Also, what is the best way of minimizing input lag? Is connecting HDMI out from receiver to HDMI2 in the TV and renaming to PC the best option? Does the ps3 going through the receiver to the TV cause any lag?

Thank you for answering all my questions
post #1623 of 1649 Old 03-04-2010, 10:59 AM

Hi All
I just joined the site and this is my first post, sorry to bring it up again.

I currently have the HT-AS720 with a cable box and a ps3 connected to it via HDMI, and HDMI to TV. The problem im having has been there for awhile but i just tried to ignore it but now its just really annoying, and i couldnt find help anywhere not even Samsung.

Anyways, when i watch tv i get perfect sound and picture, with the ps3 thou while playing certain games like Battlefield Bad Company 2 i will get like a glitch in the sound from the as720. What i mean is, the lcd on the AVR shows the input mode and all the speakers connected than from time to time(and its random) the sound will disapeare for split second and everything on the AVR display will disappear except the input mode (So basically the speakers pictures). This is really annoying when the sound starts disappearing like every other minute. I searched everywhere and didnt find a solution. This is what i already tried:

- Connect ps3 directly to TV (works fine, no glitches)
- switch HDMI cables , switch INPUTS - didnt help
- Use an optical cable from the ps3 to the AVR - same problem

Since its so random, could it be that maybe the output volume is to high that the speakers cant handle it?

P.S - I had the same issue with the Cable box but it works fine now somehow
post #1624 of 1649 Old 03-21-2010, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Boy_ View Post

I searched the thread, but I only found similar situations, and they didnt help me. So I have a problem...

I have my PS3 plugged in DVD (hdmi 1), and Direct TV HD box in SAT (hdmi 2).
I only get audio with my DirecTv box. The ps3 through dvd/hdmi has no audio at all.

If I switch the PS3 to SAT and DirecTv box to DVD, audio on ps3 works and not the box.

I've set the DVD audio to hdmi and still no dice to whatever is plugged in the DVD hdmi slot. Any suggestions?

edit: if it helps, video works fine for both.

If nothing works, I'll probably just get an optical cable for the Directv box, and put ps3 back on SAT... which I assume should work.

I started having a similar issue a few weeks ago; suddenly, the DVD HDMI port would carry only video and not sound, while the SAT HDMI port worked fine. I swapped my xBox 360 and blu-ray player to opposite ports, pulled the power on everything for ten seconds, and when I plugged it back in everything worked again. This past Friday, same issue with the blu-ray player again (now on the SAT HDMI port), and once again pulling the power to everything seemed to resolve it. Then today, it was the xBox 360 that only had video. Again, pulling the power to everything (doing just the receiver didn't work) was the only thing that got it working again.

The problem is obviously becoming more frequent, and it's a real annoyance. What should I do? What can I do? I don't have an extended warranty of any kind.

Click here for my home theater setup
post #1625 of 1649 Old 03-25-2010, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer View Post

I started having a similar issue a few weeks ago; suddenly, the DVD HDMI port would carry only video and not sound, while the SAT HDMI port worked fine. I swapped my xBox 360 and blu-ray player to opposite ports, pulled the power on everything for ten seconds, and when I plugged it back in everything worked again. This past Friday, same issue with the blu-ray player again (now on the SAT HDMI port), and once again pulling the power to everything seemed to resolve it. Then today, it was the xBox 360 that only had video. Again, pulling the power to everything (doing just the receiver didn't work) was the only thing that got it working again.

The problem is obviously becoming more frequent, and it's a real annoyance. What should I do? What can I do? I don't have an extended warranty of any kind.

Anybody have suggestions? I've been trouble-free for a couple days now, but I don't expect that to last. Thanks.

Click here for my home theater setup
post #1626 of 1649 Old 03-25-2010, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

I'm curious. Has anyone ever tried the HDCP Compliance Test on this device, maybe with the Cyberlink program on an htpc? I think this device was made before the test was out.
post #1627 of 1649 Old 04-09-2010, 09:44 AM

why everytime i turn on my tv and amp the receiver after 3 seconds changes from the last source on to tv optical 3?? why!?? anyone else have this problem? my tv is using hdmi! not optical!
post #1628 of 1649 Old 04-09-2010, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mine does that too. But I take that as a good sign, that hdmi-cec is working. I can use the tv remote to control the volume of the avr. :/
post #1629 of 1649 Old 05-23-2010, 06:02 PM

im hoping someone could really help me out with this. one day all of a sudden i started getting alot of static from my front right speaker. i checked the wiring, everything looked ok. undid wiring on left speaker and moved the right one over, no static. went behind the reciever and every speaker i connect to the speaker knobs all the way on the left i get static. i figure something is wrong with the knob, might need cleaning or something so i open the reciever and spray some contact cleaner. same static. anything else i could try? the reciever is no longer under warranty and i have no issue with it and dont want to upgrade/get another.

thanks
post #1630 of 1649 Old 05-23-2010, 06:55 PM

well i see now thru browsing this thread its a common problem. is there a fix for it or how much would it be to fix?

thanks
post #1631 of 1649 Old 06-12-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dinosaur View Post

im hoping someone could really help me out with this. one day all of a sudden i started getting alot of static from my front right speaker. i checked the wiring, everything looked ok. undid wiring on left speaker and moved the right one over, no static. went behind the reciever and every speaker i connect to the speaker knobs all the way on the left i get static. i figure something is wrong with the knob, might need cleaning or something so i open the reciever and spray some contact cleaner. same static. anything else i could try? the reciever is no longer under warranty and i have no issue with it and dont want to upgrade/get another.

thanks

Hi, new to forum, and this is my first post. Sorry if it's a bit long!...

Yeah, I started having the same problem about a month ago. The static started getting progressively louder, and then the other speakers would have no audio at all. I tried doing the same steps as well, and connected brand new Monster speaker cables, but no luck.

I ended up having to disconnect the front right speaker wires just to get sound out of the rest of the speakers. But now when watching anything, the sound is barely audible, even up to the 'Max' volume, and sometimes spikes to extremely loud levels for a short time. Of course, it's most likely past warranty by now (bought from Circuit City during the mass closings). So I'm kind of hesitant to contact Samsung, since from what it sounds like on here and elsewhere that they're not too helpful, even though this definitely is a manufacturing issue affecting many customers.

I'll probably have to switch it out with the Harman Kardon AVR-146 I have for the time being. I certainly do not want to spend another $160 or so to send it out for service for who knows how long. But now I have a brick of an AVR that I don't know what to do with. All I can say is, I've severely lost faith in Samsung products... Hopefully, some kind soul can help us frustrated folk out!
post #1632 of 1649 Old 06-20-2010, 08:30 AM

Well, I finally decided to give Samsung a call, and boy what a mistake that was. I spent at least half an hour on hold, just to be told that "sorry, we can't accommodate you. Goodbye." Wow, real quality customer service there. They were going to charge me $80 to send it in for service for a defective product line. What a joke. I'm seriously never buying Samsung ever again. I suggest everyone here to do the same...
post #1633 of 1649 Old 08-24-2010, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

I was going to ask if anyone has ever had to get their receiver repaired outside of warranty, and if so where did you take it to and about how much just to get it looked at? mine finally went down, I already picked up a replacement but would hate to see this just go to waste, i enjoyed it for the short life i got out of it.

thanks,
post #1634 of 1649 Old 11-09-2010, 04:46 PM

Hello! I was wondering if anyone had a remote code for a Directv Remote control. I can find no code that will work. Thanks.
post #1635 of 1649 Old 01-09-2011, 10:30 AM

I bought the AS720 in Dec 2007 and now suffer the same issue. Increasing static from the right front speaker until the system is unusable. I also won't be buying any Samsung products in the future.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for a replacement receiver for this model?

thx
post #1636 of 1649 Old 02-04-2011, 04:59 PM

add me to the long list of broken AS720s. Mine lasted almost 3 years (which apparently is better than most), but the dreaded static, which started just on the one side, has now spread to the center speaker too, so it's unusable (and Samsung support was useless). Looking for any suggestions on a fix (if there is one), or ideally a replacement receiver (ideally NOT Samsung again).
post #1637 of 1649 Old 02-20-2011, 10:32 AM

Liked: 12
Except for the speaker settings bug (which really isn't a big deal as long as you don't find the 10 foot distance) I've been very pleased with this unit. No static yet. Anynet+ works well too.
post #1638 of 1649 Old 02-20-2011, 11:52 AM

I was happy with the unit too, until the problems started less than 2 years after purchase, and having Samsung turn their backs on their customers. A couple minutes with google shows the static problem to be common and widespread with this unit, and customer support similarly useless for others having the same issue. That's enough for me to never buy Samsung again.

I replaced it with a Pioneer VSX-520K on sale last week for less than the price I was quoted to fix the Samsung unit, including an extended warranty fee. Hopefully I won't need it.
post #1639 of 1649 Old 06-10-2011, 06:09 PM

Sorry for bringing this back from the dead.

Would someone like to sell me 2 speakers, so I can get the full benefit of this system?
post #1640 of 1649 Old 09-25-2011, 12:44 PM

Does anyone know if this unit supports HDMI 3D pass through?

Edit: Never mind, as per http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow...oduct/HT-AS720 it doesn't.
post #1641 of 1649 Old 10-01-2011, 04:30 PM

I have a full Samsung system (TV, Blu Ray, 720) and everything is connected via HDMI.

I hit the info button on my TV tonight and it showed the video at 720p. So, in my amazement (I have owned this now for 4 years), I call Samsung and they say it only supports 720p passthrough.

But, when I am on this thread, it says it supports 1080p passthrough, yet, I cant find or see (after a few hours of searching this thread) what I can do to change my settings on the receiver to get 1080p, if it exists.

Anyway, thanks for the help. A 53-page post is hard to follow and get the info I am looking for... Thanks!
post #1642 of 1649 Old 10-02-2011, 09:32 AM

I've got the static issue (right front speaker) now, as well. Started about a month ago and is getting worse with time.

Anyone have a suggestion for a replacement AV Receiver that will work with our HTIB speakers? I like the speakers... I just want to get rid of the 720 junk receiver.
post #1643 of 1649 Old 02-07-2012, 02:20 PM

Has anyone taken apart the subwoofer?

I want to find out if its worth trying to build a new enclosure for it or reusing the amp on a new sub/box. problem is im currently using it in my setup and cant risk damaging it
post #1644 of 1649 Old 04-20-2012, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccorry View Post

I've got the static issue (right front speaker) now, as well. Started about a month ago and is getting worse with time.

Anyone have a suggestion for a replacement AV Receiver that will work with our HTIB speakers? I like the speakers... I just want to get rid of the 720 junk receiver.

I'm in the same position...it's so bad we cannot use it any longer. Which receivers will work with our current speakers?
post #1645 of 1649 Old 04-20-2012, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Not that it helps you folks any but the first lesson of buying a HTiB system is to look at the speaker connections and plan ahead. That being said, can you modify the connections for a "universal" fit, ie bare wire or what ever.
post #1646 of 1649 Old 04-06-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzzbee2 View Post

Mine started popping about 2 months ago... Now, no sound at all, except for 1/2 sound from the sub. This thing has been nothing but problems since I purchased it. I have probably got to watch the equivalent of 35 movies on it in the past year and a half, and now its dead and the warranty is gone.
Mine has the exact same problem. About a month ago the front right speaker started to pop/crackle so I just unplugged it, then a few days ago I get almost no sound from any of the speakers except the subwoofer frown.gif

Is it worth getting it repaired? Cheapest amp I can get around here that'll work with the 4ohm speakers is like $400 frown.gif Yamaha RXV473 B

-Jamie M.
post #1647 of 1649 Old 08-15-2013, 06:17 AM

Hi Guys,

ever since I have owned my reciever I could not get the HDMI audio to go through my TV ps3 and reciever, just says

"This HDMI device cannot be used for audio output"

I have a feeling its my tv not allowing it through the model of my tv

Toshiba Cinema series

52XV545

any help would be great thanks

Shawn
post #1648 of 1649 Old 07-07-2014, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anyone still own one of these? The other night I left to go to a baseball game and left the radio on low for the dog. About two hours later my apt mgr started calling me to say that the music was way to loud and I need to turn it down. Much to my surprise, when I got home the volume had been turned up EXTREMELY loud! Remote control was on top of the cable box.. nobody else home, dog was in crate. Is there gremlins in this ****in thing? Anybody got any similar happenings? I thought maybe a power outage could do it and I can't confirm if that happened while I was gone..
post #1649 of 1649 Old 07-07-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp2 View Post
Anyone still own one of these? The other night I left to go to a baseball game and left the radio on low for the dog. About two hours later my apt mgr started calling me to say that the music was way to loud and I need to turn it down. Much to my surprise, when I got home the volume had been turned up EXTREMELY loud! Remote control was on top of the cable box.. nobody else home, dog was in crate. Is there gremlins in this ****in thing? Anybody got any similar happenings? I thought maybe a power outage could do it and I can't confirm if that happened while I was gone..
I can't believe yours still works!!

Never had any issues like that, and I had it playing for 14 hours a day sometimes, but never on REALLY low volume.

-Jamie M.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page