Looking for HTIB <$500, at least 2 HDMI inputs, 5.1+ - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 52 Old 09-23-2007, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I'm looking for a HTIB that's less than $500, has at least two HDMI inputs, and does 5.1 channel (or better) audio - with speakers included. This is for my 92" projection setup, in a 14x14 room, so I don't really need anything super powerful. This can *not* be HDMI pass through, it must be able to process audio from both my PS3 (Blu-Ray/DVDs primarily, but some games) and my HD DVR for cable over HDMI.

I've been looking at the Sony HT-SS2000 and HT-SF2000, but hearing mixed things on the SS model, and the SF looks like pretty much the same thing with speaker stands.

Any other ideas? Seems the HTIB group have been slow to adopt HDMI beyond simple switching.

Cheers,
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 09-27-2007, 11:31 AM

samsung as720 as well. 2 HDMI. its 599 sometimes dropping to 569 if you check everyday. read post. might be a little over budget but you wont miss the 70 bucks for the decoding (i think) lol

***click my username then "view profile" to see setup***

Blu-Ray forever
:)

xbl gt: x camisado x
post #3 of 52 Old 09-27-2007, 11:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Not a packaged HTIB system but probably a better deal.

Onkyo 605, $379 shipped on Amazon. It processes audio via HDMI

Denon Denon SYS-76HT 7.1 speaker system, $65 shipped on Amazon if you use expedited shipping

You could substitute the Yamaha 661 for the Onkyo if you wish, especially if you only have HDMI sources. The 661 processes HDMI audio but doesn't do any video upscaling/conversion to HDMI like the 605 but you may not need that.

Afro GT
post #4 of 52 Old 09-27-2007, 12:51 PM
Kex
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Not a packaged HTIB system but probably a better deal.
Denon Denon SYS-76HT 7.1 speaker system, $65 shipped on Amazon if you use expedited shipping ...

If you follow afrogt's excellent advice (as usual, BTW) and get that Denon speaker system, not only will you have a killer system (for HTiB, that is: seperates are still much better IMO), but you will have several more choices of AVR besides those he mentions, especially if you're willing to consider refurbs (such as the harman/kardon AVR247, which does have video upscaling and switching. It sells with full factory warranty on e-Bay for about $350 shipped direct from h/k (if you don't expect to win the auction the very first time you place a bid).

http://www.harmankardon.com/front.as...me=AVR247F.jpg
http://www.harmankardon.com/back.asp...me=AVR247B.jpg
http://www.harmankardon.com/product_...C&prod=AVR+247

(If you're interested in this, remember also that harman/kardon measures watts/channel all channels driven, not just the maximum out of one, so they always understate compared to other AVRs in this range, but you won't get any distortion at high volume when you push it!)
post #5 of 52 Old 09-27-2007, 05:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I usually do give excellent advice. Thanks Kex!

Here's some more. Don't even bother with ebay for the HK 247. Amazon has it NEW for $353 shipped.

So now you have 3 good choices between the HK, Onkyo and Yamaha. I prefer the HK sound myself, plus you get pre outs in case you want to add an external amp later. I have actually owned all 3 brands currently or in the past, but not any HDMI models. Onkyo wins for ease of use, HK for sound and Logic 7 feature, and Yamaha for DSP's (if you like that kind of thing).

You probably can't go wrong with any of them.

Afro GT

Afro GT
post #6 of 52 Old 09-27-2007, 06:51 PM
Kex
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here's some more. Don't even bother with ebay for the HK 247. Amazon has it NEW for $353 shipped....

Darn it ... I meant to check that amazon price just after I wrote the post so that I could add the amazon pricing if it was good enough, but the telephone rang and I got distracted: there goes my reputation! Thanks afrogt for doing the work for me!
post #7 of 52 Old 09-28-2007, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

It's funny how this thread worked out. I read all the advice, and checked amazon for the HK (just out of curiosity) and saw the price, bought it along with the speakers mentioned earlier right away, and monoprice for the HDMI cables and speaker wire. Then, a few posts later, you've all suggested the same thing.

Thanks a ton! I think I really did well in the end, far better than I would have with a HTIB setup. Once my nice speakers come in from Hawaii (I moved recently) I'll *really* be able to enjoy the HK!
post #8 of 52 Old 09-28-2007, 08:24 AM
Kex
AVS Special Member

Hey ormandj, you don't muck about much, do you?! First post 9/23, already ordered everything by 9/28! Congratulations, and I hope you like the warm, distortion free sound on the h/k. I think you got a super deal on everything, and that AVR can handle much bigger stuff than the Denon system whenever you get your speakers from Hawaii.
post #9 of 52 Old 09-30-2007, 12:07 AM

I'm very interested in the H/K receiver and denon speakers recommended here, but money is not abundent right now, so I don't wanna blow it. I currently have a Sony HTD-DW790, hooked up to a ps3 and an epson 400 projector. I'm in a dorm room, and the sound isn't really that bad, but when I turn up the volume, the speakers produce static noise and while not intolerable, it is a bit distracting.

I'm considering buying a new sound system, so I've been looking at individual pieces and HTIB-ish things. It seems like the HK 247 and denon speakers would eliminate the static noise issues (or at least I hope), but would I be hearing much better sound quality? (The ps3 does 7.1 and can output high sound quality.) I use my current receiver for both games, movies, and occasional music listening.

Basically, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with these receivers (or at least one of them) to know whether or not its truly worth the cash right now over my current setup? Or should I be looking elsewhere for a true upgrade?

Thanks guys, I appreciate any help you can offer.
*btw, I'm still learning about sound systems and their features... I'm bigger on video than audio, but that's something I hope to change hehe.
post #10 of 52 Old 09-30-2007, 07:52 AM
Kex
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevuda View Post

I'm very interested in the H/K receiver and denon speakers recommended here, but money is not abundent right now, so I don't wanna blow it. I currently have a Sony HTD-DW790, hooked up to a ps3 and an epson 400 projector. I'm in a dorm room, and the sound isn't really that bad, but when I turn up the volume, the speakers produce static noise and while not intolerable, it is a bit distracting.

I'm considering buying a new sound system, so I've been looking at individual pieces and HTIB-ish things. It seems like the HK 247 and denon speakers would eliminate the static noise issues (or at least I hope), but would I be hearing much better sound quality? (The ps3 does 7.1 and can output high sound quality.) I use my current receiver for both games, movies, and occasional music listening.

Basically, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with these receivers (or at least one of them) to know whether or not its truly worth the cash right now over my current setup? Or should I be looking elsewhere for a true upgrade?

Thanks guys, I appreciate any help you can offer.
*btw, I'm still learning about sound systems and their features... I'm bigger on video than audio, but that's something I hope to change hehe.

Several points come to mind on reading this.

First of all, that Sony system seems somewhat limited: http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665094051
so yes, a new AVR and the Denon speaker system are going to be significantly better.

Secondly, 7.1 does not seems necessary in a dorm room, so 5.1 should be more than enough.

Thirdly, the h/k 247 is a very good receiver, but possibly more than you need also. I chose the h/k 147 since I did not need some of the extra features of the 247. You might want to consider this too unless you insist on:
- Video switching (e.g. from component video, or S-Video IN to HDMI video OUT).
- Audio over HDMI (the 146 and 147 pass through video only).

The 147 is currently about $250 new shipped from amazon.com. You can also get it refurbished direct from harman/kardon on e-Bay for $25-50 less (if you don't bid more than $200: patience is required (possibly two or three weeks). MSRP is $399 BTW.

Conclusion: you will get much better sound if you upgrade IMO, just consider your true requirements carefully before spending more than you need to.
post #11 of 52 Old 09-30-2007, 07:57 AM

Quote:

Denon Denon SYS-76HT 7.1 speaker system, $65 shipped on Amazon if you use expedited shipping

Do they make the Denon SYS-76HT 7.1 speaker system in black?
post #12 of 52 Old 09-30-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kex View Post

Conclusion: you will get much better sound if you upgrade IMO, just consider your true requirements carefully before spending more than you need to.

Thanks! I really appreciate your suggestions here. My current sony system is VERY limited, but to be fair to it, I bought it for listening to music before I had a projector system in mind.

I fully plan on only using 5.1, but the 7.1 system speaker package looks to be a good price, so I could always just put the other 2 pieces away until I have enough room for it (which is what I think you are suggesting).

And I will look into the 147 especially since money is tight, but I might just save up and go for the 247 so that I am a little more future proofed for when I'm out of the dorm.

Well, it looks like I have some more research to do, but thanks for the great tips and help!
post #13 of 52 Old 09-30-2007, 11:09 AM

How did you find the denon speakers for $65 shipped? I see them on amazon, but sold by electronics expo for $53... with shipping starting at $39 lol. Did I miss a good deal? Or am I looking at the wrong thing?
post #14 of 52 Old 09-30-2007, 12:40 PM
Kex
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How did you find the denon speakers for $65 shipped? I see them on amazon, but sold by electronics expo for $53... with shipping starting at $39 lol. Did I miss a good deal? Or am I looking at the wrong thing?

Not sure, but I think the price may have just gone up a little. Prices sometimes fluctuate wildly on amazon.com, but that Denon deal was amazing. They still might be worth it, and you can still build a good system.
post #15 of 52 Old 09-30-2007, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Here are the order details.
---------------------------------------------------
Date: 27-September-2007
Amazon Order #: 104-5542XXX-00XXXXX
1 of Denon SYS-76HT 7.1 Surround Speaker System - (SYS76HTS), $55.88
Shipping & Handling: $9.99
Tax:
Total: $65.87
Buyer: xxxxx@xxxxx.xxx

This is what I paid, from Electronics Expo, through Amazon. Did you select the correct shipping option? It could also be possible they changed the deal in the past few days, but as of the 27th you could get $9.99 shipping.
post #16 of 52 Old 09-30-2007, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

No flame intended but how can a 7.1 speaker system that sells for $199 MSRP and streets for less than $70 be anything but crap?
post #17 of 52 Old 09-30-2007, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsurd2 View Post

No flame intended but how can a 7.1 speaker system that sells for $199 MSRP and streets for less than $70 be anything but crap?

I'm sure it's not reference quality, but I've got quite a nice setup still in transit from Hawaii, and felt no need to go out and buy another $2500 set of speakers to pair with a $350 receiver, to be used in a 13'x13' room in an apartment, where cranking the audio is not viable.

Yes, I'm sure the speakers won't appeal to audio snobs, and they are probably even noticeably worse to even the "average" person, when comparing to a $1000 7.1 setup, but for my needs - it's good enough - especially since it's just holding me over until my "good" speakers arrive.

No offense was taken, either - hopefully you will also not take offense.
post #18 of 52 Old 09-30-2007, 03:24 PM
Kex
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsurd2 View Post

Samsurd, this is Denon, they aren't really noted for making cr@p. Sometimes things get discounted 50% or more as a closeout sale to make way for a new model. If you are familiar with the universal remote control market, this is common practice, even without closeout, for two of the most popular brands (Harmony and URC). Best Buy still sell them at almost MSRP though. Same for AVRs: The harman/kardon 247 is $499 MSRP, Best Buy sell it with a $50 discount, amazon.com sell it $100 less than Best Buy (with free shipping).

Deals like this should not be laughed at. For the astute buyer, they are a great opportunity.
post #19 of 52 Old 09-30-2007, 04:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

They're the exact same speakers that come with Denon's 487 and 687 HTIB systems. I would never pay $199 for any HTIB speakers, but for $65 they will easily be worth that. You can listen to the speakers at Circuit City.

Their not audiophile speakers by any stretch of the imagination. But if you're gonna spend $400-500 for a Onkyo 800 system, I'd rather buy a better standalone receiver (Onkyo 605, HK 247, Yamaha 661) for $350-$400 with HDMI audio processing and add the Denon speakers.

The weakest part of a HTIB system is generally the speakers. So why waste much money on them?

Many people when they get the Onkyo 800 HTIB immediately want to upgrade their speakers anyway. And the Onkyo 550 receiver that comes in that system is not as good as the 3 receivers I mentioned above. It doesn't even process audio thru the HDMI inputs.

The speakers will hold one over with a limited budget until they get enough money for a better sub and speaker sytem.

Afro GT
post #20 of 52 Old 09-30-2007, 05:09 PM

Lol dummy me. I was trying to order from the electronics expo site itself, not through amazon.

Any idea why expedited shipping is 30 dollars less than standard? lol.

These look like pretty good speakers. I'm gonna try em with my current receiver until I can buy a new receiver (likely a H/K.)
post #21 of 52 Old 09-30-2007, 05:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Any idea why expedited shipping is 30 dollars less than standard? lol.

Never question why, just take advantage of price while its there.

Afro GT
post #22 of 52 Old 09-30-2007, 07:06 PM

I have been casually looking for something in the same category as well, in my case, for a bonus room that is the kid's domain. So, nothing critical. I have an upscaling DVD/CD player to move up there from my current system when the time comes, so all I need are 5 speakers + AVR w/ HDMI.

Trying to keep it under $500 is a challenge if you want the speakers to be somewhat above the HTIB throw ins. If I go component, I also like the HK 247 along with either the Polk RM6750 speakers 5.1 system ($249) or the Klipsch Synergy Quintet ($299).

I realize this puts you at around $600-$650 with the HK 247, but it's worth considering.

The one HTIB system that has me wondering is the Sony HT-DDW995 with 2 HDMI in/1 out. You can get it for $369 or so on Amazon, etc. I can't tell by their specs/description if it's full HDMI processing or just pass thru for video (which means you need separate cables for audio).

I'm not much of a Sony fan, does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this? Or, can you decipher their specs?

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665089040
post #23 of 52 Old 09-30-2007, 08:40 PM
Kex
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpprint View Post

I'm not much of a Sony fan, does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this? Or, can you decipher their specs?

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665089040

Well, it's only 6 ohms for a start, and THD is 10%: that's not usually a good sign. Also, there is no video switching: anything input via composite video, S-Video or component video, will NOT be output via HDMI, as far as I can tell. I have also found no specifications for the frequency range of any of the speakers. Seems like something of a POS excuse of a system to me, but I could be wrong.
post #24 of 52 Old 10-01-2007, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpprint View Post

The one HTIB system that has me wondering is the Sony HT-DDW995 with 2 HDMI in/1 out. You can get it for $369 or so on Amazon, etc. I can't tell by their specs/description if it's full HDMI processing or just pass thru for video (which means you need separate cables for audio).

If you search ddw995 in this forum you'll get the answers to your questions.
post #25 of 52 Old 10-01-2007, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kex View Post

Samsurd, this is Denon, they aren't really noted for making cr@p.

Kex, if we were talking about receivers, I'd agree - but we're not. Denon, like many other AVR OEMs, has no cachet when it comes to speakers. Implying that the Denon name is enough, per se, to insure these are not crap is disingenuous.
post #26 of 52 Old 10-01-2007, 11:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yep, you're right samsurd2, Denon is not a speaker company. But for $65 you really don't lose anything by giving them a try. Plus you can listen to them at Circuit City before you buy them online.

Afro GT
post #27 of 52 Old 10-01-2007, 12:53 PM
Kex
AVS Special Member

Quote:

... But for $65 you really don't lose anything by giving them a try. Plus you can listen to them at Circuit City before you buy them online.

In fact, you can pay more than that for two PC speakers! I wouldn't buy these myself, but I do think they are an incredible bargain, especially for somebody like ormandj who just needs a temporary solution. I don't see how you can make a mistake with these.
post #28 of 52 Old 10-01-2007, 01:37 PM

Well it doesn't look like it matters much anymore. The denons went up to 70 before shipping. With shipping, its around 80 now. (not outrageous, but not an amazing bargain imo).

I was gonna buy em last night, but I waited, thinking I'd check em out at CC... I wish I hadn't waited lol...

Ah well.
post #29 of 52 Old 10-01-2007, 02:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

They probably got popular over the weekend if any people on here purchased them, hence the price increase.

Like I said earlier, never question why just take advantage for the price while you can.

Afro GT
post #30 of 52 Old 10-01-2007, 05:07 PM

Quote:

do those speakers come in black??????
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page