Bose V20 - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 82 Old 01-24-2008, 06:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When I had tried the V30, I thought Bose told me I could pass through the signal and tv would then up convert it. Agree with you on the short delay, that was annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericw530 View Post

I was having the same problem you had with my v20. I have the samsung bd-up5000 blu/hd combo player hooked up to my v20 and I was getting nothing but 2 channel pcm. I had to change the audio setting is the samsung player from PCM to bitstream(audiophile) to get true 5.1 surround.

I had called bose, and they said that they v20 is not capable to process the new HD audio formats. That is why the players are defaulted in PCM - for those new HD audio outputs, but if your receiver can't play it it will convert it to a 2 channel PCM (PCM 2.0).

I have been getting great sound with DD 5.1. Wish it could convert the new HD audio formats, but no biggy.

Another grip that I have with the system is that it takes the system about 10 seconds, or so, to receive picture when switching sources or from SD to HD on the cable box. This, from the bose rep, was because of the receiver upconverting the image to 1080p. You can change the settings in the bose system to "fixed" rather than "adjustable" to shorten this delay, but then it won't upconvert every signal to 1080p. If a TV show is 480p/1080i etc then that is how it will be sent to the TV.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 82 Old 01-24-2008, 10:07 AM

Since I made the audio adjustments on my BD player, the sound has been astounding! I get the Dolby 5.1 signal when available, otherwise it switches to Digital Dolby 2.0.

I don't have a lot of movies but so far I have watched the following:

SDVD
Titanic
Master and Commander
Dune (SciFi miniseries Director's Cut)
Zulu
Legend
The Thing

Blue-Ray

I'm very happy with my V20. It's everything I was looking for and then some.
post #63 of 82 Old 02-27-2008, 05:30 PM

I just changed the DVD player to a blu-ray Sony BDP-S1 (found a brand new on @ BB for $349) and finally I am getting the 5.1, it is so much different compared to the PCM 2.0.

Just watched the 5th element and it looked and sounded excellent. I know why blu-ray beat out HD (the picture and sound are so much better).
post #64 of 82 Old 03-08-2008, 09:26 AM

RaggaetonSalsero or others: I have the same gear as you, Sony 52XBR4 and Bose V20. I can not get the Bose remote to turn the TV power on and off. Tried on-screen programming following the instructions in the Op Manual, but I can't find the matching TV Code. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
post #65 of 82 Old 03-08-2008, 05:03 PM

I looked at Bose V30 and liked the system very much. But......I could not justify spending $3000. I bought a Sony SS2000 for $320 at BB. I love the system and the sound is great especially in 5.1. It has 3 HDMI inputs. I am not knowlegable enough to compare quality but for me the Bose V30 is not $2700 better.
post #66 of 82 Old 05-11-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

I guess the "like what" is asking what does Bose offer that others do not.

For a few things:
Very well laid out RF remotes that can operate thru walls and component cabinets and can contol all my other stuff.
Very user friendly systems, reading a manual not required.
Great on-screen menus for making any and all settings.
Customer phone support, live person answers the phone right away and is able to help with any issues that one might have.
System up-grades, they will apply all or some of the original purchase price of any system towards purchase of a newer system.
Regular software up-grade CD's mailed to you.
Easy to hook-up systems with minimal wiring.
No need to buy longer or heavy gauge speaker wires (other brands most of the time come with short, light gauge speaker wires that get thrown in the garbage).
Auto calibration set-up.
GREAT RESELL value on ebay.
Small speakers for those of us that do not need or want larger speakers.
The sound, personaly, I like the Bose sound very much, with that being said I also like Yamaha and Onkyo for the way they sound, but I like Bose as well.

If anyone can tell me a system that offers most of those features let me know, I have looked.

Ohhhhh, the cons of Bose, yes, they are expensive, but then again your paying for all the features listed above that other brands dont offer.

I know I will get replys to this post and Im sure most of them will be Bose bashing so how bout this for an idea Bose bashers.

Instead of the typical bashing and telling me what kind of paper the speakers are made of and how Bose does not publish their specs, and instead of the slam sayings like "no highs no lows, must be BLOWS" why dont you Bose bashers offer input on other systems that have most of the features that I listed.

AGAIN: Some of the most important features to me:
User friendly.
On screen menus.
RF remote that will control all my other stuff.
Small'ish speakers.
Good resale value.
HDMI inputs.
Auto calibration.
No need to read and learn "ANOTHER" manual.

Thank in advance Bose bashers.
Cheers
Davyo

I am trying to pick a system, and you really lay out some good points. The problem I am having is I come to this forum and hear Bose-bashing with only the reply of "too expensive for what you get". But, then I see an explanation like this and I wonder when someone is going to counter these points. So far, no one really has.

So far, I have found that while the Bose V20 is pricey, by the time you get all the HTIB components to match up to this one with the ease of the setup, you are spending the same amount of money. In particular the RF remote (as you pointed out) is pretty big. To get another system and an equivalent RF remote to control it, you automatically add at least $200.

I would also like to hear the arguments to the expandability of the V20 versus simply a multi zone system. All the other systems (Onkyo, Denon, etc) with multizone capabilities seem to creep into the same price range quickly.

All I ask is if others want to claim another system is better for less money, please list it specifically instead of making blanket statements. I would be glad to choose a cheaper system of equal or better quality with all the amenities as you list here.
post #67 of 82 Old 05-11-2008, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I was wondering how long it would be for the Bose bashing to begin on this thread.

To answer your comment: I for one have been exposed to this forum for many many years and I have owned Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon and Pioneer systems to name few brands, I have also owned Bose systems.
Sorry to say all the Bose bashing is not going change my opinion that some Bose products offer features that other brands do not.
While sound quality is very important to me I do not buy a system for just sound quality "ONLY", if I did, I would probably buy only Onkyo or Yamaha.
I would list the reasons why I sometimes buy Bose products but why should I bother, Bose bashers are not open minded to any reason or opinion except their own.
ALL systems and brands, Yamaha, Onkyo and Bose have pro and cons to them.

Cheers
Davyo

I agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix79 View Post

While the cost of Bose is questionable it does have good sound, worth the price, don't know. Yet the issue seams to be the HD-DVD player. Are you going to Bash Toshiba or HD-DVD now?

Like what?

I'd lean more towards the player because of It's problem.

Quote:

I guess the "like what" is asking what does Bose offer that others do not.

For a few things:
Very well laid out RF remotes that can operate thru walls and component cabinets and can contol all my other stuff.
Very user friendly systems, reading a manual not required.
Great on-screen menus for making any and all settings.
Customer phone support, live person answers the phone right away and is able to help with any issues that one might have.
System up-grades, they will apply all or some of the original purchase price of any system towards purchase of a newer system.
Regular software up-grade CD's mailed to you.
Easy to hook-up systems with minimal wiring.
No need to buy longer or heavy gauge speaker wires (other brands most of the time come with short, light gauge speaker wires that get thrown in the garbage).
Auto calibration set-up.
GREAT RESELL value on ebay.
Small speakers for those of us that do not need or want larger speakers.
The sound, personaly, I like the Bose sound very much, with that being said I also like Yamaha and Onkyo for the way they sound, but I like Bose as well.

If anyone can tell me a system that offers most of those features let me know, I have looked.

Ohhhhh, the cons of Bose, yes, they are expensive, but then again your paying for all the features listed above that other brands dont offer.

I know I will get replys to this post and Im sure most of them will be Bose bashing so how bout this for an idea Bose bashers.

Instead of the typical bashing and telling me what kind of paper the speakers are made of and how Bose does not publish their specs, and instead of the slam sayings like "no highs no lows, must be BLOWS" why dont you Bose bashers offer input on other systems that have most of the features that I listed.

AGAIN: Some of the most important features to me:
User friendly.
On screen menus.
RF remote that will control all my other stuff.
Small'ish speakers.
Good resale value.
HDMI inputs.
Auto calibration.
No need to read and learn "ANOTHER" manual.

Thank in advance Bose bashers.
Cheers
Davyo

You just spoke the trute with that ond Dayvo. most remotes that come with most receivers do have buttons in random locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket Aces View Post

No matter how you look at it Bose overcharges for what they sell and they don't sound good compared to systems at half the price. Even before I came to know boards like this and way before I even bought my own systems I was listening to Bose in stores and I could tell they didn't sound as good as most other systems. I came to my own conclusion that people were paying for a name and not actual performance. About all the ease of installation mentioned about bose, you could spend alot less on another setup and have professional installation and still save cash and have better sound.

Its his ears and he enjoys his setup so its ALL that matters yes he admits most of the other stuff SOUNDS better but HE likes the FEATURES the bose offers which the other systems do not.

One shall stand... One Shall Fall... - Optimus Prime
post #68 of 82 Old 05-25-2008, 01:49 AM

Hi, I have just purchased a Bose V20 and have linked it to a SKY HD reciever and a PS3.
The sound is displayed as PCM2.0. I have connected optical cables and adjusted all the settings as recommended, but cannot get DD5.1, What do I need to do? Surley BOSE cannot sell a unit with HDMI connectors that cannot process 5.1.
post #69 of 82 Old 05-25-2008, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie XJR View Post

Hi, I have just purchased a Bose V20 and have linked it to a SKY HD reciever and a PS3.
The sound is displayed as PCM2.0. I have connected optical cables and adjusted all the settings as recommended, but cannot get DD5.1, What do I need to do? Surley BOSE cannot sell a unit with HDMI connectors that cannot process 5.1.

It does, but as this thread has mentioned before it cannot support HD audio so if you send it HD audio it will only give you PCM 2.0. So send it DTS or DD 5.1. If your having problems call up Bose, one thing people agree about Bose is they have superb customer support.
post #70 of 82 Old 04-10-2009, 09:36 AM
tji
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I was thinking about getting the V20. I'm glad I read this thread first.

Has anything changed with the V20 in the year since people posted on this thread?

Can it handle all the normal HDMI audio formats?
Have they released any similar updated products that may work better?

I really like the compact size of the V20. I would prefer one more HDMI input (possibly two more). Overall it's very nice. But, for $2,000, I'm not willing to go with big limitations in the basic function of the device -- audio processing.
post #71 of 82 Old 05-30-2009, 10:32 AM

Hello Fellow Bose V series lifestyle Owners,

I just purchased a Sony BDP S350 Blu-ray player last weekend and I have connected it to my Bose Lifestyle V20 HTS via HDMI. Both the V20 and the S350 are running their latest respective firmware. The S350 is connected to the DVD input on the Bose via HDMI. Then the Bose is connected to my Sharp Aquos HDTV via HDMI. All systems support 1080p.

When I connect the S350 to the DVD input on the Bose Media center, I can see the Sony startup screen on my TV about 5-10 seconds when I first turn the device on, but then the screen goes blank momentarily and then I just get a Green Screen on the TV. No audio, either. It never makes it to the XMB screen.

Now, here's where things get interesting. When plugged into the second HDMI input on the Bose in the CBL/Sat port, everything works fine - both audio and video. The S350 also works fine when connected directly to the TV.

If I plug my Dish Network HD DVR (Vip722) into either the CBL/Sat or DVD HDMI port on the Bose, everything works fine. It's standard output is 1080i.

I've tried dropping the output on the S350 (1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i), but none of that makes a difference when connected to the DVD HDMI input on the Bose. It always just shows a solid Green screen.

I've tried unplugging and resetting all the components, changing HDMI cables, etc., but it makes no difference.

I've spoken with both Bose and Sony support. My V20 was originally running an older firmware, so Bose sent me the latest and I installed it last night. It added new remote codes, so now the Bose universal remote can control the S350. But it did nothing to address the DVD HDMI port issue with the S350.
Sony support didn't offer much assistance. But with both companies, I requested they escalate the issue and see if they can get some product engineers involved. Hopefully, I hear back from them.

As far as I can tell the issue is only with the Sony Blu-ray player and the DVD HDMI port on the V20. I am suspecting this is an issue with the HDMI handshake between the Bose and Sony and hopefully can be fixed via firmware.

But I was wondering if anyone else has seen solid green output from the Bose V20 when connecting a Blu-ray player via HDMI? Or for others with the Bose V20 and S350, are you having similar issues when connected via the DVD HDMI port? If so, what was your solution to the problem?

Thanks
post #72 of 82 Old 07-05-2009, 09:10 AM

Hi, I'm new to this forum and just seen your issue with the Bose V20. I just purchased the V20 myself and have had no problems with the green screen. I suspect it might be "handshake" related. I have the same set up as you do except my Blu-Ray player is a PS3 and my TV is a Samsung LCD. I would try a couple things to see if it helps, first do a complete reset of the Bose system. This involves 1.) Unplugging the media console from the wall 2.) Unplugging the audio cable from the back of the media center 3.) Unplugging the acoustimass module from the wall 4.) Unplugging the audio cable from the acoustimass module. 5) Wait at least 30 seconds. Now simply plug the audio cable back into the acoustimass module, then the media center. Finally plug the acoustimass module back into the wall, then plug in the media center. These steps have to be peformed in this order.

As far as the handshake is concerned, Bose told me it helps to turn the DVD player on first, then the TV, and turn the Bose audio system on last.

Hope this works for you, good luck!
post #73 of 82 Old 07-05-2009, 02:06 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I went through the full reset with the bose support folks and it unfortunately did not correct the problem. My only choice at this point is to send it in for repairs for about $175 + shipping (which includes a new one year warranty). My system has another problem where, after some time, it starts showing sort of a ghosting/almost stained glass effect on output. That can be "Fixed" by resetting the system. The latest firmware was supposed to address it, but I still see it happening occassionally (once every 2-3 months).
I suspect I have an early unit with a manufacturing defect. It's unfortunately the first of several Bose products I have owned to have a serious problem.

Thanks again for offering your suggestions.
post #74 of 82 Old 07-21-2010, 06:01 PM

I think I've discovered two major issues with my V20 system. One, described in my earlier post, was with connecting certain HDMI devices. This appears to be an inability to decode HDCP on the HDMI input for the "DVD" input. That's where I have my Dish Network VIP 722 HD DVR receiver connected. The 722 reports that HDCP is not supported (it attempts to use HDCP over HDMI when I watch HD content downloaded to the DVR from the Dish website). Perhaps this is also why my Sony Blu-Ray player (and PS3 I recently purchased) are unable to funtion correctly on that HDMI input.
I also had problems with the video output from the unit to my TV from time-to-time. The image would start to look fuzzy, with strange colors and shadows (the closest thing I can compare it to is a stained glass window sort of effect). This occurred randomly, usually after the unit had been on for a while. I would "fix" it by unplugging and plugging it back in a minute or two later.
Well, after it occurred again a few weeks ago, I decided to raise the media center unit off the shelf (where it stands alone, not sitting on top or underneath other devices). I did this by placing two very small metal bowls underneath it on each side. Now I haven't experienced the problem since. I suspect there is an overheating issue with the media console. It doesn't seem to have a fan and I believe it only vents from the bottom of the media console.
I plan on sending a note to bose support about these problems and see what they have to say (which is likely to send it in for repairs). But I just wanted to share my experiences with others in case you were having similar problems.
I'm running the Feb 2010 firmware 02.02.01_05.00.18
post #75 of 82 Old 11-16-2010, 07:19 AM

How do you upgrade the firmware on the bose v20? It does not find my TV, or my DTV codes. I have had it several years and never updated anything.

Thanks!
post #76 of 82 Old 11-16-2010, 07:34 AM

First, call Bose and ask them to send you the latest firmware disc. When the disc(s) arrives, put it in your DVD player and it will perform the upgrade. There are some requirements - for example, I believe the DVD player may have to be connected by HDMI to the V20.

It will take around 45 mins or so to complete.
post #77 of 82 Old 11-16-2010, 08:31 AM

Thanks, will do that today.
post #78 of 82 Old 11-16-2010, 10:50 AM

So I tired to read as much as I could on all the Bose info here. Does the V20 now support the Dolby TruHD and DTS-HD Master Audio formats with a fireware update.... Amoung others like Dolby Pro Logic II and so forth?

And if it doesn't would the new models like V25 and V35 do it?
post #79 of 82 Old 11-19-2010, 06:54 AM

I have been reading up on the V-20 and I am still not sure what to do.

I have a V-20 with a HD-DTV, an X-Box, Sony Blue Ray DVD, Wii hoooked up to my 65". I also get the 2.0 reading on my bose while watching DTV, but I notice on my xbox or sony, the sound is so much better. I have contacted bose on getting a cd for the firmware upgrade.

Is there any settings that I need to change to improve the sound?

Bose to Sony-HDMI Cable with audio cable hooked up
Bose to HD-DTV-HDMI Cable with audio cable hooked up
X-Box to Tv - HDMI Cable, with xbox to bose aux audio cable
Bose to TV with HDMI and audio cable hooked up.
Wii to bose hooked up with component cable.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks for all the help!
post #80 of 82 Old 11-19-2010, 10:06 AM

Standard audio red/white, from each source to my bose, and then from my bose to my tv.
post #81 of 82 Old 01-08-2011, 06:14 PM

The v20/v30 do not decode Dolby TruHD or DTS-HD. According to the Bose website, The T20/v25/v35 do support Dolby TrueHD and uncompressed multi-channel PCM.

The v20 supports Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1.
post #82 of 82 Old 01-08-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougsowell View Post

Standard audio red/white, from each source to my bose, and then from my bose to my tv.

For anything you connect to the Bose via HDMI, there is no need to connect audio separately. Likewise, from the Bose to the TV, just the HDMI cable is needed for both audio and video.

You mentioned the HD-DTV is only coming up as 2.0 -What is this product, exactly?

In the system menu, you can tweak the input source to make it sound stronger, so I would see if that makes a difference on your Wii. You can also tweak bass, treble, and speaker settings. Be sure to also use the AdaptIQ to calibrate the speakers for your room. It does make a noticeable difference.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page