newb here - comparing the onkyo 908, 605, and 505 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 12-19-2007, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ok guys I have been looking at getting a home surround sound system for a while and i have read a lot about different receivers on this site. the Onkyo 605 seems like it is absolutely awesome and I think I really want it but I have a few questions.

First let me tell you what I have. I have a simple progressive scan dvd recorder that I use, a wii, a HD/DVR cable box and a 3 year old 480p plasma that does not have a hdmi connection so I use component for everything.

I really do not want to spend more than $500-$700 total!

The 605 is great and I love the 1080p upconversion and the 1.3a hdmi as well as all the other options it has but that being said do I really need it? I am going to be running everything with component for at least 2 more years. At that time I plan on upgrading to a new TV and a HD or Blue Ray DVD player but I want to wait and see who wins that war first.

So I thought I could future proof myself with the 605 but who knows if 1.3a hdmi will be the best out in 2 years! who is to say there will not be something better out there I want.

The 505 does everything I need now and it will do hdmi pass through although it does not do sound.

So the question is do I buy the 505 which is a good $150 cheaper or do I go with the 605.

I also need help with speakers for either receiver. I was thinking Polk Audio RM6750 5.1 Channel Home Theater Speaker System for both receivers but I do not know.

IF the final decision is the 505 should I get the 894 HTIB? Theay are about the same and I think the 894 has a little bit better reciever.

Also if the final decision is to get the 605 then should I just go ahead and get the 908 HTIB? after getting the 605 and the speakers I have listed it is almost the same price and the 908 has the ipod dock and a better DVD player than I have. Also the reviews I have read about the 908 speakers have been pretty good.

I am just not sure which way to go on this one. Help me out guys. Other speaker options would be great but keep my budget in mind. Should I get the 505 and better speakers and then upgrade to a better receiver in a few years when I get a new TV and DVD player?

Thanks for the help

T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-19-2007, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Get the 605 and the 6750. You won't need to upgrade the 605 in the long run and the speakers will be good enough for a long time and later you can upgrade them.
post #3 of 18 Old 12-19-2007, 12:45 PM

What is 6750? is it a Receiver or Speaker or a DVD player?

can you post a link for this?
post #4 of 18 Old 12-19-2007, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
The 605 is such a good deal...it really does help future-proof you, in that whichever optical format wins (HD DVD or Blu ray), the receiver can handle the high-def audio formats they use over HDMI. Optical and coax can't do these new formats. There's always new stuff on the horizon - such is the nature of technology. But the 605 is so reasonably priced and so feature-packed, unless you're POSITIVE you will not be interested in Dolby TrueHD, DTS Master Audio, etc, it's probably worth getting over the 505. The one caveat is that if the extra $150 for the receiver would be put toward significantly better speakers that you otherwise could not afford, the 505 might be a better choice. Up to you which is more important now.
post #5 of 18 Old 12-19-2007, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Speakers and sub will make far more difference in the sound and performance of a system than different receivers.

Given your budget and the fact you use component now I'd recommend right now going with a good receiver and the best speakers and sub your budget will permit. In a couple of years when prices drop on HDMI and everything is more settled you can ether sell the current receiver and upgrade for little out of pocket or use the current receiver on a second system like the bedroom etc.

If you're ready to buy now while it's still in stock and holiday sale is still going I'd go with the Onkyo 575 refurb from shoponkyo. It's an upgrade over the 505 for less or the same money with Free shipping + 10% holiday sale and $10 first time buyers crediit will be $233.

Match that with the 2 pair of Polk R150s, CSR center and the Bic H-100 sub and you've got a awesome setup within you budget at just over $600. You could even opt for a pair of R50 floor standing speakers which would add $80 to the total and still keep you within budget.
post #6 of 18 Old 12-19-2007, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

I can not post a link because I have not posted enough on here yet. The 6750 are a polk speaker set and I refer to that in my orginal post. just go to amazon and search for it. after a few more post I will put up a link

T
post #7 of 18 Old 12-19-2007, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
These are the Polk 6750 speakers:

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/p...creens/rm6750/

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #8 of 18 Old 12-19-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 View Post

Match that with the 2 pair of Polk R150s, CSR center and the Bic H-100 sub and you've got a awesome setup within you budget at just over $600. You could even opt for a pair of R50 floor standing speakers which would add $80 to the total and still keep you within budget.

Hi, I'm trying to figure out speakers for a similar setup, but this is the first time I've heard of a Bic H-100 sub. Is this cheaper than the Polk? Does it have some advantages?

Sorry, I'm new at this too.

TIA
post #9 of 18 Old 12-19-2007, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anidea View Post

Hi, I'm trying to figure out speakers for a similar setup, but this is the first time I've heard of a Bic H-100 sub. Is this cheaper than the Polk? Does it have some advantages?

Sorry, I'm new at this too.

TIA

I don't know about pricing between the H-100 and Polks more budget minded subs but it's a better sub. Check the subwooofer forum out and you'll find enough reading on it to keep you busy for a while. The H-100, AV123 X-Sub are widely considered to be the best budget subs out there at the $200 price point. The Cadence 12" is getting alot of good feedback also lately at the same price point. You can find more information on all 3 in the sub forum.
post #10 of 18 Old 12-20-2007, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

well I just posted this for advice in the receiver forum but I wanted to mention it here as well. the 505 has shown back up on the shoponkyo site as a refurb for $149 after the $10 off and the 10% they are doing right now that is just under $125 for the 505. That means I could put a lot more into my speakers.

Do you guys think I should do this? Does any have a refurb onkyo and how has it preformed? They also had the 605 refurb on there for about a half a second and then removed it. should I hold out for a refurb 605?

Thanks for the help

T
post #11 of 18 Old 12-20-2007, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 View Post

Speakers and sub will make far more difference in the sound and performance of a system than different receivers.

Given your budget and the fact you use component now I'd recommend right now going with a good receiver and the best speakers and sub your budget will permit. In a couple of years when prices drop on HDMI and everything is more settled you can ether sell the current receiver and upgrade for little out of pocket or use the current receiver on a second system like the bedroom etc.

If you're ready to buy now while it's still in stock and holiday sale is still going I'd go with the Onkyo 575 refurb from shoponkyo. It's an upgrade over the 505 for less or the same money with Free shipping + 10% holiday sale and $10 first time buyers crediit will be $233.

Jakeman this sounds good and is probably what I am going to do but get the 505 at the refrub discount I have already mentioned. I am not wild about the book shelf speakers though. I want to hang the speakers on my wall and the Polk R150w look big for that. Do you have any suggestions for other speakers I can hang?

Thanks

T
post #12 of 18 Old 12-20-2007, 08:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taygolf View Post

Do you guys think I should do this? Does any have a refurb onkyo and how has it preformed?

I don't have a refurbed receiver but I have other refurbed Onkyo gear. They work great.

post #13 of 18 Old 12-20-2007, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

ok the 605 refurb is now up on shoponkyo as well. it is $349 - 10% and - $10 so that would be $304 shipped for the 605 and $124 shipped for the 505. $180 difference.

Again I will not be using the HDMI right now and may not for a few years so that is not a big deal for me I just want a good first reveiver that I can use for my house.

I could use that $180 for better speakers. What do yall think?

T
post #14 of 18 Old 12-20-2007, 08:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If you're not using HDMI, I'd say the 505, although the 605 has some nice features to it. But yeah, any money you can direct towards the speakers IMHO is worth it.

post #15 of 18 Old 12-20-2007, 10:45 AM

I just purchased the 505 from shoponkyo and the Polk 6750's from Fry's for $199, but my wife does not want the small speakers up front. So, based on the advice of many on this site, I purchased the Polk R50's and CSR center speaker from Fry's outpost site and will return the 6750 set. I also bought the Velo 10" sub from Fry's for $129.

Here is my question: Since I now do not have any back speakers, can some of you suggest a small (Polk 6750 size) set of surround sound speakers to complete my setup? Also, I have a set of KLH bookshelfs that are several years old. Would they work for back speakers until I decide what to do in the back?
post #16 of 18 Old 12-20-2007, 04:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Before returning to Fry's, put the Polk sub up on Craigslist and see what you can get for it. If you can get $100 or more, keep the four 6750 satellites and use them as surrounds.

Afro GT
post #17 of 18 Old 12-20-2007, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taygolf View Post

Jakeman this sounds good and is probably what I am going to do but get the 505 at the refrub discount I have already mentioned. I am not wild about the book shelf speakers though. I want to hang the speakers on my wall and the Polk R150w look big for that. Do you have any suggestions for other speakers I can hang?

Thanks

T

Yeah the 505 would be better for your needs and put the savings toward the speakers. I didn't recommend it because when I checked the shoponkyo website I didn't see a refurb 505 listed I did see the 575 though. I may have overlooked it or they may have been out of stock when I checked. Both are a great deal but the 505 would allow more money better spent for speakers.
post #18 of 18 Old 12-20-2007, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Before returning to Fry's, put the Polk sub up on Craigslist and see what you can get for it. If you can get $100 or more, keep the four 6750 satellites and use them as surrounds.

Good call. I will try that thanks.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page