I have to decide between Sony, Onkyo and Philips FAST!! Help =/ - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 12-21-2007, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys, I'm going to travel overseas and I really need to decide FAST which home theater system to get, mainly because I must have time to receive it or maybe It will have available to pick up, anyway... My budget is not that high, I was expecting something less than $300, of course best for less is what everyone wants, me either.

Please help me decide on some, mainly the options below (if you got a BETTER one at price range, please tell me):

Philips HTS3555/37
- Was $228, now $206.09 at BestBuy.com

Sony BRAVIA DAV-HDX265 Home Theater System
- $220 at Amazon.com (shipped, free SH up to 10 days sUx) -
- $269 +tax at JR
- $273.09 at CircuitCity with a nice pick up!
- $280 +tax at BestBuy

Sony BRAVIA DAV-HDX267W Theater System with Wireless Speaker Kit
- $309.95 at www.bhphotovideo.com +tax.
- $329.99 at JR.com + tax.
- $339.99 at CircuitCity + tax.

Sony HTD-DW790 Component Home Theater System
- Was $192.99 SALE $139.99 at BestBut.com
- $179.00 +tax at JR.com

Sony HT-DDW990 Component Home Theater System with Digital Media Port
- Was $399, now $199 at Amazon.com (Shipped, free SH up to 10 days sUx).
- $ 239.00 at www.bhphotovideo.com

Sony HT-DDW995 900W 5.1-Channel Home Theater System - HDMI Switching
- $ 314.95 at www.bhphotovideo.com

Onkyo HT-SR600 5.1
- $250 +tax at JR.com
- $239 shipped at www.vanns.com

Onkyo HT-SR700 5.1 Home Theater Entertainment System
- $279 at Vanns.com (free long time shipping)

Onkyo HT-SR800S 7.1
- $399.99 at JR.com + tax.

Samsung HT-X70 5.1-Channel Home Theater System
- $312.11 at CircuitCity (pick up with discount coupon)
- $299 at www.bhphotovideo.com +tax.

This is a really HARD decision, I know people are going to ask me if I want/need DVD or not, but you know... I got a standard DVD player, if comes with an upscaling DVD player can contribute, but I think I'm going to choose the BEST product in terms of quality and also the currently price (offer).

Thanks guys!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 12-21-2007, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
FWIW, the Sony HT-DDW995 is the only one in your list that processes audio received via HDMI. All others need separate digital audio connection from each source.

You might also complicate your life even more by adding the Sony HT-SS2000 5.1 system to your list.
post #3 of 23 Old 12-21-2007, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Oh my... I really need some help, suggestions, users reviews, I gotta buy this at maximum this coming next week.

Thanks anyone. =)
post #4 of 23 Old 12-21-2007, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
It really depends on what's most important to you. Do you want audio processing via HDMI at your budget, if so then go with the Sony.

If audio processing via HDMI is a non issue for you at your budget the one of the onkyo systems would be the way to go, they include much better receivers in their systems than others, more connection options which use universal type connections if you should ever want to upgrade. Most of the other use at least some type of connection that is specific which makes upgrading or adding components a pain.

If you go with one of the onkyo systems check shoponyo for refurbished systems which will save you some bucks.
post #5 of 23 Old 12-22-2007, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Yes... I understand, but I don't want to limit my buying choice just by saying "HDMI", my plasma has 3 HDMIs so I'm thinking in really get the BEST Product, mainly in quality... =(

I've never heard about Onkyo before, even being a computer tech for +10 years, but I know that lots of people says it's a great brand. I'm just not sure if it's better than Sony, Phil... etc.

I thought would be more replies here...
post #6 of 23 Old 12-22-2007, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximmum View Post

Yes... I understand, but I don't want to limit my buying choice just by saying "HDMI", my plasma has 3 HDMIs so I'm thinking in really get the BEST Product, mainly in quality... =(

I've never heard about Onkyo before, even being a computer tech for +10 years, but I know that lots of people says it's a great brand. I'm just not sure if it's better than Sony, Phil... etc.

I thought would be more replies here...

As far as HTIB's go, Onkyo is almost always the best you can do for the price. Their receivers are more fully featured, have better amplifiers, and are more robust than Sony, Philips, etc. All HTIB speakers are pretty weak, IMO, but Onkyo HTIB speakers are at least as good if not better than the other aforementioned brands. As for getting more replies, I can understand your disappointment, but you posted this thread yesterday. AVS can be a very helpful place, but giving a bit more time for people to find your thread, comment, make suggestions, give you time to think about what people have said, etc. can be really beneficial. I'd agree that an Onkyo is as well as you can do for $200-$300. Good luck.
post #7 of 23 Old 12-22-2007, 02:08 PM

My under $300 choice was a refurb Onkyo SR505 $124.10 Shoponkyo and Harmon Kardon HKTS 14 5.1 Speaker set for $117.50 (+$35 S&H) from factory outlet on Fleabay.

Try using the search engine here for reviews and Amazon.com reviews.

The HT-SR600 is $189 less 10% less $10 at Shoponkyo if you join club onkyo for free. The HT-SR700S is $299 less 10% less $10 both free shipping.

Purple Movie Fan
post #8 of 23 Old 12-23-2007, 10:47 PM

Onkyo is great system.
post #9 of 23 Old 12-24-2007, 07:24 AM

hello, I was wondering if anyone can help me make a decision on a system. I am going to spend around 2500. I will be hooking the system up to a sony 46" xbr4. I am new to this all , so if anyone can suggest diff features i should look for it would be much appreciated. thanks in advance
post #10 of 23 Old 12-24-2007, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I'm greatly confused and undecided on which system to buy, hehe.

I want the Onkyo because of it's quality and performance as everybody says (even bc I haven't not even heard it before).... but I'm undecided because Sony's systems have HDMI output, DVD charger and also "nicer consumer design"... =/
post #11 of 23 Old 12-26-2007, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm.... looks like I'll go with Onkyo,... even unfortunately I couldn't hear any users reviews here at avs forum.... sad.
post #12 of 23 Old 12-26-2007, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Their are user reviews on Onkyo HTIB systems everywhere, their systems are widely considered to be the best bang for the buck quality/performance and connectivity wise in the HTIB market. Do a google search, Cnet has several, Other professional reviews can be found many places. Their are several individual user reviews here in the HTIB thread, I don't undersantd why you are sad and you couldn't find any.

http://reviews.cnet.com/home-theater...-32421727.html
http://www.pcworld.com/product/userr...erreviews.html
http://reviews.pricegrabber.com/home...ms/m/35423745/
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Custo...etailReview.do
http://www.shopping.com/xPR-Onkyo-HT-SR800
http://www.amazon.com/review/product...owViewpoints=1
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...iews/502499668
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...452&tab=review
http://www.highdefforum.com/showthread.php?t=58741
http://avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=913931
http://shopping.aol.com/ht-sr800-hom...423745/reviews

and that was just from 1 web search entry

You can also check these systems out at Circuit City and see what you think of them for yourself. No matter how many reviews you read, you're the one buying it.
post #13 of 23 Old 12-27-2007, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jakeman02, but I was refering to users reviews here at forum, I've been researching for long time over google, cnet, etc... I was expecting people from forum when I posted here at the forums.

But don't worry, I'll spend a little more and get the Onkyo SR-800 for $319-$350 (BH, JR...), it looks like better than anyother option... I'll make every effort to get it even by paying higher...

Just don't tell me now that SR800 has any major fault... hehe
post #14 of 23 Old 12-27-2007, 10:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
There were a couple of threads here that had it reviewed by people who bought it.

It's been a while since it was released, so the initial enthusiasm has slightly waned, but the threads are here.

I don't own it. I own the predecessor, which I loved (I've since upgraded the speakers, but the receiver is still in use.) The SR800 has some differences, so I didn't want to comment too much.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #15 of 23 Old 12-27-2007, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

But... you as exp'd user and owner of SR600 and already having been experienced with Onkyo brand, what you think about the Onkyo SR series? And also about paying ($399 silve / $429 black) on the SR800 instead of $239 for SR600 (also on BH video store)?

It's going to be my first Home Theater, but I'm not thinking in upgrade it for a long time by now... I got a plasma 50" and iPod to use it

I like to get grt deals as low as possible on products, but the difference of SR600 to SR800 is currently $160 and if it's really that good/better, I can pay that amount to get it.
post #16 of 23 Old 12-27-2007, 10:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I think the SR series is very good for a HTIB. The speakers are a bit lacking compared to dedicated speaker companies, but there's nothing stopping you from upgrading later or using the included speakers.

The receivers are the strong point, being models that you can get separately and you can even use them with very expensive speakers (although you can also upgrade the receiver to a higher class model, too.)

In all, it's a great starter set that will actually get you a taste of what home theater can be truly about, although it depends on how far you want to go.

As for the 600 vs. the 800, it depends on if you can use the features the 800 gives you over the 600 (7.1 vs. 5.1, slightly better speakers, HDMI video switching.) You'd be in a better position than me to see you want all that for the price. They're nice to have, but not critical.

post #17 of 23 Old 12-27-2007, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Looking if I'll use the features..... I have the PS3 that uses HDMI and would be nice to use it, even knowing that I'll have to use the optical cable to transmit the audio...

Is the SR800 THX certified?
post #18 of 23 Old 12-27-2007, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

A question.... whats the best iPod dock?? I have a iPod Classic.
post #19 of 23 Old 12-27-2007, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Jakeman02, but I was refering to users reviews here at forum, I've been researching for long time over google, cnet, etc... I was expecting people from forum when I posted here at the forums.

Here is a couple of reviews and comparisons from here that I found with one quick search, I'm sure their are many more if I went further back, this system has been out for a while now. I also posted 1 from here in the previous post of links.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ght=800+review

Quote:

But don't worry, I'll spend a little more and get the Onkyo SR-800 for $319-$350 (BH, JR...), it looks like better than anyother option... I'll make every effort to get it even by paying higher...

I'm not worried at all, it's going to be your system, I just couldn't figure out why you said you weren't finding the response you needed/reviews or other other information either here or other places. This is one of the most popular HTIB systems out here, there should be no problems in finding ANYTHING you wanted to know about it with a little research and using the search option.

Quote:

Just don't tell me now that SR800 has any major fault... hehe

The only thing I've consistently read that people were mistaken was a fault was the fact that it didn't pass audio via hdmi. This usually came from people who didn't check before they bought the system and were miffed when they found out otherwise.
post #20 of 23 Old 12-27-2007, 04:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 View Post

The only thing I've consistently read that people were mistaken was a fault was the fact that it didn't pass audio via hdmi. This usually came from people who didn't check before they bough the system and were miffed when they found out otherwise.

And to be quite honest, if it did do HDMI audio, it would be priced higher than what most would be willing to pay for that level of a system (it would essentially be the 908 sans DVD player, a system that is a couple hundred dollars higher.)

post #21 of 23 Old 12-27-2007, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Looking if I'll use the features..... I have the PS3 that uses HDMI and would be nice to use it, even knowing that I'll have to use the optical cable to transmit the audio...

Is the SR800 THX certified?

Nope and I very seriously doubt you're going to find a complete system, even just a receiver for that matter at this price point unless it's used. If you do please let me know.
post #22 of 23 Old 12-28-2007, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

I just went to JR and got the SR800. I'll have to try it out to see "what we got here", hehe.
post #23 of 23 Old 12-28-2007, 10:58 AM

Quote:

I just went to JR and got the SR800. I'll have to try it out to see "what we got here", hehe.

You made a good choice.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page