Window Shopping at Circuit City - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 01-01-2008, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
xristrettox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was wanting to have a looksee at some Onkyo HTIB, so I strolled by the local Circuit City. I went into their theater room and watched a Lord of the Rings knock-off on some LCD they had. The receiver was the Onkyo 605 w/ some polk audio speakers. THE SOUND WAS FREAKING AWESOME!!!

Just experiencing sound like that drove me nuts, and almost made me make some unwise financial decisions.

Right now I'm trying to save my pennies and buy the Onkyo 908 HTIB. Someone please tell me that the 605 receiver in the system (as well as the speaker combo in the package) will give me something close to what I experienced. I know this is hard to do as I'm sure the speakers and sub they had going were probably on the higher end of things.

Anybody got 800 bucks I can borrow?


UPDATE: Since I know next to nothing about home theaters/receivers/speakers, I wandered over to the speaker section of this forum and realized that, yes, my experience was awesome because of the speakers they hooked up to the 605. Now I have to convince myself NOT to spend a fortune on speakers too!
xristrettox is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 01-02-2008, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member
 
BuffaloJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 953
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Speakers are ALWAYS more important to the overall quality of the sound. One of the problems with many HTIBs is that manufacturers spend a lot of money on the electronics and neglect the speakers. Sure these HTIBs might look cool and have an awesome amount of bells and whistles, but electronics contribute a relatively small effect on the overall sound.

You could hook great speakers to a lousy boombox and the sound would still be good, but hook terrible speakers to the best receiver on the planet and the sound is still going to be awful.

Always remember to spend enough money on the speakers. If you learn nothing else about audio, that alone will go a long way to giving you a decent sounding system.

Jim
BuffaloJim is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 01-02-2008, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
xristrettox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That's what I'm starting to learn.

I went to a high-end home theater place today and listened to a 25,000 dollar pair of Paradigm speakers... can't really say I've ever heard anthing that nice before.

Geesh, what's a guy to do.

The more I think about it, I might just skip the HTIB for now, and just get the onkyo 605 receiver and try to find a 5.1-7.1 setup piece by piece (paycheck by paycheck).

It would be really frustrating to set up the 908 HTIB, have the speakers disappoint me and have no $$$ to upgrade.
xristrettox is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 01-02-2008, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
porsche951's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Near Laguna Beach
Posts: 884
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by xristrettox View Post

That's what I'm starting to learn.

I went to a high-end home theater place today and listened to a 25,000 dollar pair of Paradigm speakers... can't really say I've ever heard anthing that nice before.

Geesh, what's a guy to do.

The more I think about it, I might just skip the HTIB for now, and just get the onkyo 605 receiver and try to find a 5.1-7.1 setup piece by piece (paycheck by paycheck).

It would be really frustrating to set up the 908 HTIB, have the speakers disappoint me and have no $$$ to upgrade.

That's a wise decision IMO.
porsche951 is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 01-03-2008, 12:59 PM
Member
 
JAgustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche951 View Post

That's a wise decision IMO.

+1 This is exactly what I am doing myself. I've been contemplating different receivers (Onkyo 605, Denon 2308, Denon 2808) and pairing them off with some KEF IQ2, IQ3 and iQ5 speakers, and while I would like to have the extra features on the Denon's, when the Onkyo is approximately half of the price of the Denons it's hard to pass up the Onkyo.

I too will be piecing it together, paycheck by paycheck.. or until KD for dinner kills me

Joel

Joel
PSN: DAdvocate
JAgustin is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 01-04-2008, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member
 
porsche951's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Near Laguna Beach
Posts: 884
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAgustin View Post

+1 This is exactly what I am doing myself. I've been contemplating different receivers (Onkyo 605, Denon 2308, Denon 2808) and pairing them off with some KEF IQ2, IQ3 and iQ5 speakers, and while I would like to have the extra features on the Denon's, when the Onkyo is approximately half of the price of the Denons it's hard to pass up the Onkyo.

I too will be piecing it together, paycheck by paycheck.. or until KD for dinner kills me

Joel

Joel, what's KD, A Canadian fast food chain ?
porsche951 is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 01-04-2008, 07:38 AM
Member
 
JAgustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
...kraft dinner

Joel
PSN: DAdvocate
JAgustin is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 01-04-2008, 08:02 AM
Member
 
tonyreynolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle, WA USA
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
While I realize the importance of the speakers, those that come with the Onkyo HTiB are not that bad. No, they're not Polks, but they sound pretty awesome.

I originally purchased the Onkyo HT-SR800 HTiB thinking that I would upgrade the speakers later. I'll eventually do that starting with the center, then the fronts and working to the sides and rear, putting most of my funds into the center channel.

Others here may disagree, but keep in mind while you're looking for a system that there are some interesting physiological things going on when you watch a movie in your home theater: Your brain concentrates on the video and the audio, while important, becomes secondary, not nearly as important as when listening to an audio source by itself. Will that Sony system with the impossibly small speakers sound as great as my Onkyo system? No, but the eyes trick the brain. It cannot concentrate on both inputs (aural and visual) equally well at the same time.

Adequate sound pressure levels are easier to achieve at lower power settings with better, more effecient speakers. I've noticed a difference in the audio of my system just in upgrading the speaker wire from the spindly 28 gauge that came with the system to 16 gauge. And the receiver doesn't have to work as hard to pump a signal to the speakers.

For the time being, my setup with the HT-SR800 HTiB in combination with the Sanyo PLV-Z4 and a 92 in. screen makes for a fabulous experience. Is it perfect? No. But compared to shelling out $9-10 per person for an in-theater movie, waiting for the hot flics to come out on DVD has now become something to look forward to. We no longer desire to go OUT to see a movie at all.
tonyreynolds is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 01-04-2008, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member
 
porsche951's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Near Laguna Beach
Posts: 884
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyreynolds View Post

While I realize the importance of the speakers, those that come with the Onkyo HTiB are not that bad. No, they're not Polks, but they sound pretty awesome.

I originally purchased the Onkyo HT-SR800 HTiB thinking that I would upgrade the speakers later. I'll eventually do that starting with the center, then the fronts and working to the sides and rear, putting most of my funds into the center channel.

Others here may disagree, but keep in mind while you're looking for a system that there are some interesting physiological things going on when you watch a movie in your home theater: Your brain concentrates on the video and the audio, while important, becomes secondary, not nearly as important as when listening to an audio source by itself. Will that Sony system with the impossibly small speakers sound as great as my Onkyo system? No, but the eyes trick the brain. It cannot concentrate on both inputs (aural and visual) equally well at the same time.

Adequate sound pressure levels are easier to achieve at lower power settings with better, more effecient speakers. I've noticed a difference in the audio of my system just in upgrading the speaker wire from the spindly 28 gauge that came with the system to 16 gauge. And the receiver doesn't have to work as hard to pump a signal to the speakers.

For the time being, my setup with the HT-SR800 HTiB in combination with the Sanyo PLV-Z4 and a 92 in. screen makes for a fabulous experience. Is it perfect? No. But compared to shelling out $9-10 per person for an in-theater movie, waiting for the hot flics to come out on DVD has now become something to look forward to. We no longer desire to go OUT to see a movie at all.

Tony, I respectfully disagree with your opinion about the importance of sound quality for home theater. I don't understand why someone would go to the trouble of setting up a nice projector and screen, and then install a mediocre sounding audio system, almost as an afterthought. HTiB is fine for a small room, limited budget, etc., but if you're going to spend good money on picture quality, I think you are selling yourself short by not having the sound quality up to the level of the picture. I don't think you realize how much you are really missing by your sound system compromise.
porsche951 is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 01-04-2008, 08:50 AM
Member
 
tonyreynolds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle, WA USA
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche951 View Post

Tony, I respectfully disagree with your opinion about the importance of sound quality for home theater. I don't understand why someone would go to the trouble of setting up a nice projector and screen, and then install a mediocre sounding audio system, almost as an afterthought. HTiB is fine for a small room, limited budget, etc., but if you're going to spend good money on picture quality, I think you are selling yourself short by not having the sound quality up to the level of the picture. I don't think you realize how much you are really missing by your sound system compromise.

I understand your input and I wasn't trying to negate the importance of sound, only saying that there is a physiological conflict in processing data. It's similar to watching an old 19" color TV from 25 years ago. One didn't pay much attention to the sound, that is until one got a chance to hear the single 3x5" speaker by itself with no picture!

I personally like Klipsch cornerhorns, but don't have the room for them. Everything is a compromise. For my first venture into home theater I got the Onkyo because I knew it was a good AVR to base my system on. That the speakers were not crap was a bonus that allows me to live with them for awhile until I can afford to upgrade.



Actually, my BEST upgrade was getting hearing aids 3 months ago. No speakers, no matter how high the quality would have made-up for the muffled sound I was hearing due to my moderate high-frequency loss.
tonyreynolds is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 01-04-2008, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member
 
porsche951's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Near Laguna Beach
Posts: 884
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyreynolds View Post

I understand your input and I wasn't trying to negate the importance of sound, only saying that there is a physiological conflict in processing data. It's similar to watching an old 19" color TV from 25 years ago. One didn't pay much attention to the sound, that is until one got a chance to hear the single 3x5" speaker by itself with no picture!

I personally like Klipsch cornerhorns, but don't have the room for them. Everything is a compromise. For my first venture into home theater I got the Onkyo because I knew it was a good AVR to base my system on. That the speakers were not crap was a bonus that allows me to live with them for awhile until I can afford to upgrade.



Actually, my BEST upgrade was getting hearing aids 3 months ago. No speakers, no matter how high the quality would have made-up for the muffled sound I was hearing due to my moderate high-frequency loss.

Tony, sorry about your hearing loss. Reminds me of a current thread in the speaker forum, where someone is looking for speakers that will play at 125db.
Hearing is a precious thing. Best wishes.
porsche951 is offline  
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off