Loud 'boom' from subwoofer shuts down Onkyo 605 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-24-2008, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

I just purchased the SP-908, had it running for about a month or so now. I searched these forums and I know the 605 does get hot so I'm not sure if this is what the problem is but I turned on the TV and the receiver and after about 5 minutes I heard a loud 'boom', sounded like it came from the subwoofer and the receiver shut down.

I use banana plugs on the back of the receiver so I doubt it's a stray wire and I literally had the system on for 5 minutes when this happened so I wouldn't have thought it was from overheating. It hasnt's done it since and I've had the system on for 5-6 hours at a time.

Anyone have any ideas or recommendations? I was planning on getting a small fan anyway after reading some of the posts on here.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-27-2008, 11:08 AM

Does this happen when you're switching sources? I have the SR800, and sometimes when I switch sources (from DVD to cable), the levels are not matched, and I get a pop, which makes the self-protection circuit kick in and shut down the system. I would still do a visual check of the speaker wires, because it's usually where the problem is.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-28-2008, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooshoo View Post

Does this happen when you're switching sources? I have the SR800, and sometimes when I switch sources (from DVD to cable), the levels are not matched, and I get a pop, which makes the self-protection circuit kick in and shut down the system. I would still do a visual check of the speaker wires, because it's usually where the problem is.

Thanks for the reply. No, wasn't switching sources, just watching cable TV. I did check the speaker wires again and everything looked fine. I have everything plugged into a home theater surge protector, should the subwoofer be plugged into it's own outlet? I thought I remembered reading that on here somewhere but I can't remember....
post #4 of 4 Old 01-31-2008, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone have any other ideas? Thank You...
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page