PS3 Audio/Video issues connecting to Samsung HT-TX72 HTIB - Page 2 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 40 Old 08-26-2014, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI Guy View Post
1 Connect the HDMI IN jack of this unit and the HDMI OUT jack of a Cable Box.
2 Connect the HDMI OUT jack of this unit and the HDMI IN jack of your TV.
3 Press the AUX button on the remote control to select HDMI IN.
We tried this method before and couldnt get it working. We may try this again as get the sound we want. The cable co didnt have hd activated on the box at that time and has been fixed since. Will update tommorrow.

Last edited by dz2k; 08-26-2014 at 05:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 08-26-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI Guy View Post
Instead of composite audio (red/white) cables, I would at least try the optical cable. Just use the Aux button the HTIB remote. Perhaps that button accesses several inputs, I couldn't tell for sure from the manual. If you hit Aux and it is not on the correct input go the the HTIB itself and there is a button that will toggle through the inputs, optical is called digital. HDMI is also one of the choices. HDMI is still the best choice as you can then leave the TV on the same HDMI input all the time. You only need to change from cable box to DVD player using the HTIB remote.
I think we're done with digital opticals on this unit. We've tried from tv to htib and after cable box to htib. There is no audio on digital in nor any of the other 6 inpuys on htib. We even tried 2 different optical dig cables. Btw, this system htib is my brothers who didnt research his purchase before buying and has learned to consult others now. My surround is all separate and works as expected with dig opt from tv to av reciever and it plays everthing thank god.
post #33 of 40 Old 08-26-2014, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Glad that it's not your system cause it sounded like it was. Sounds like you have a lot of new brotherly advice to give now.
post #34 of 40 Old 08-26-2014, 12:52 PM

Yes. The help is very much appreciated here.
post #35 of 40 Old 08-26-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Discrete 5.1 audio is not the same as HD audio (Dolby DTS-MA, Dolby TrueHD, etc). High Definition audio is only available, at present, on blu-ray movies. Dolby 5.1 (AC-3) is part of the ATSC HDTV OTA protocols. Cable companies, on the other hand, are slowly doing away with QAM so you will not be able to get those few local stations from your cable company unless you pay for it. Nobody broadcasts HD audio yet because of the bandwidth restrictions so if you want to listen to HD audio, you'll need a blu-ray player to do that. The only thing that is "protected" on HDMI is HDCP, and that is there so you can't copy a high definition movie. Component cables carry a much better video but the audio is still analog (red and white cables) and can not carry digital audio like Dolby Digital. So while you may get a better pq with component, your audio is still analog.

With TrueHD (5.1 to 7.1), it almost always comes with a Dolby 5.1 companion track so that the player can output that to optical or coax out.

With DTS-HD/MA (5.1 to 7.1), there is DTS 5.1 core included in it. So players can simply extract the core and output that to optical or coax out.

If you want discrete 5.1 from your source, then HDMI is the only way to go. HDMI Guy is probably on the right track as well in that you're going to have to jump thru a few hoops to select the correct input for your source. Sounds like an HTS system upgrade is in your future.

Im impressed by the info. Thx.
post #36 of 40 Old 08-27-2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:Originally Posted by HDMI Guy 
1 Connect the HDMI IN jack of this unit and the HDMI OUT jack of a Cable Box.
2 Connect the HDMI OUT jack of this unit and the HDMI IN jack of your TV.
3 Press the AUX button on the remote control to select HDMI 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz2k View Post
We tried this method before and couldnt get it working. We may try this again as get the sound we want. The cable co didnt have hd activated on the box at that time and has been fixed since. Will update tommorrow.
This method is working! However his samsung htib is automatically powering off for the last 5 days. The fan seems to start spinning after some use. He will have it diagnosed for a small fee but i told my brother dont waste a lot if $ into this unit but see how much a repair would be. He is also having flickering on sd channels when it was on tv coax input and the way of using 2 hdmis into the htib. He is going to swap the hd box. We know that a standalone avr system is expensive but would be the way to go.

Last edited by dz2k; 08-27-2014 at 10:40 PM.
post #37 of 40 Old 08-28-2014, 03:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I am glad it is working except for automatically powering off.
I don't understand what you mean by "when it was on tv coax input".
The only connections for the cable box should be cable from the wall into the cable box and the one HDMI out to the HTIB.
post #38 of 40 Old 08-28-2014, 04:28 AM

We've tried several connection methods including the method u stated above. The problem is the htib auto shuts off and so the cable channels stop working too until the htib is powered again. We have hdmi going from cable box to tv until we have this htib diag. Sony tvs are one of a kind as they allow 5.1 channel sound to be output via digital optical from say an hdmi in source. I can testify as i have it working this way on my setup. In my brothera case, it may be the htib's issue decoding it or something.

Last edited by dz2k; 08-28-2014 at 06:23 AM.
post #39 of 40 Old 08-28-2014, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz2k View Post
We've tried several connection methods including the method u stated above. The problem is the htib auto shuts off and so the cable channels stop working too until the htib is powered again. We have hdmi going from cable box to tv until we have this htib diag. Sony tvs are one of a kind as they allow 5.1 channel sound to be output via digital optical from say an hdmi in source. I can testify as i have it working this way on my setup. In my brothera case, it may be the htib's issue decoding it or something.
Ok now I understand. I think the problem lies entirely with the HTIB your brother has. Both the HDMI and the optical should work. If they can get the HTIB working correctly then optical to it would leave an open HDMI input on the HTIB for future use.
post #40 of 40 Old 09-03-2014, 11:09 PM

My brother had a diagnostic done and theyre wanting hundreds of dollars to repair it. I told him not to do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page