PS3 Audio/Video issues connecting to Samsung HT-TX72 HTIB - AVS Forum
1 2 
Home Theater In A Box > PS3 Audio/Video issues connecting to Samsung HT-TX72 HTIB
fathead302's Avatar fathead302 10:25 PM 02-06-2008
I replied to another thread with this issue, but am creating a new thread for my issue:

I am having major issues getting my Samsung HT-TX72 HTIB to work with the PS3. When connecting with just the HDMI cable out from PS3 into the IN HDMI port on the TX72, it comes up with an error saying "not supported mode".

I next tried to connect the PS3 directly to my LCD with HDMI, and also using a Digital Audio Optical cable connected from the PS3 to the TX72 for sound. Turned the TX72 to Digital In, and setup the PS3 audio settings to the optical cable. I have video, but no sound.

The only way I can get audio and video is if i hook it up to my Samsung Flat Panel LCD monitor and have the PS3 set to use only HDMI, but doing it this way i do not get to use the theater system's surround sound while watching movies or during gameplay, which was the whole reason for buying it.

I have contacted both Sony and Samsung, and after running through several troubleshooting steps, they pretty much both point the finger at each other (which makes me want to point one particular finger at both of them).

I imagine this problem has something to do with HDCP issues and the machines not handshaking properly, but I am not sure.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong? I would hate to think that I would need to buy a totally different theater system, even though the tx-72 has been a little dissapointing in a few areas (the least of which is the cooling fan and how much noise it produces).

Thanks in advance for helping a newbie out.

mcpo's Avatar mcpo 03:29 PM 02-09-2008
I just bought the HT-TX72 and my PS3 is due via FEDEX Monday - if you find any answers please let me know. If I have success I will give you a shout. I have a Samsung 61" DLP also coming on Monday or Tuesday. Man - I hope all this comes together - I have a large investment in this package.
jterrell's Avatar jterrell 05:49 PM 02-09-2008
my ps3 plays quite well through my yamaha 6060-htr then out to a projector so I know the ps3 can handle the hdmi passthrough and provide both sound and video.

the ps3 has various audio and video settings but i am sure you have tried most, if not all of those by now.

when i switched from optical to hmdi i had no sound til i switched the sound setting in ps3 to use the hdmi port. you would need to do the reverse if going optical out to the in72 and then hdmi direct to tv.

you may want to "reset" the ps3 and let it auto configure as it does on a new power up.

make sure you aren't passing the receiver a sound designation that it can not handle as it appears that may be the case.
Ravenous112's Avatar Ravenous112 09:14 AM 02-10-2008
I wouldn't know what to do about audio not coming out of optical, but you might want to check the type of HDMI cable you are using. I've read alot of forums saying that most problems come from the HDMI cable. Try seeing if you have another HDMI cable to troublshoot with.
fathead302's Avatar fathead302 10:19 PM 02-10-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenous112 View Post

I wouldn't know what to do about audio not coming out of optical, but you might want to check the type of HDMI cable you are using. I've read alot of forums saying that most problems come from the HDMI cable. Try seeing if you have another HDMI cable to troublshoot with.

Thanks for the help! I am going to go get another HDMI cable tomorrow (HDMI 1.3) and try again. Ill update you all on the progress.
fathead302's Avatar fathead302 10:23 PM 02-11-2008
After going through numerous different setups, I ended up connecting the Digital Audio Optical cable to the Flat Panel Out, and into the HTIB. This had not worked the first time i tried, but after shutting both down a few different times i finally got them to connect.

Thanks for the ideas.
smolakian's Avatar smolakian 08:07 AM 02-20-2008
I just got a Sammy Tx72. I have my DirecTV HR20 hooked up HDMI and my Wii with component (of course). I haven't even turned on the Wii yet. But, I am getting great sound through the HDMI with no problems.

I know that on my Samsung plasma the TVs optical output does NOT pass 5.1 from HDMI through to the optical output. It's kinda dumb, I know. But, the reason for that, I think, is because you would need 5.1 decoding hardware to extract it from the digital HDMI stream. It does push 5.1 form OTA and I'm not sure about component.

I haven't noticed the fan noise on the TX72 yet and I have watched with the volume low due to sleepers in the proximity. This is my first home theatre setup ever and I'm pretty pleased.
deon40g's Avatar deon40g 01:46 AM 03-09-2008
Greetings:
Reiterating much of fathead302's issues (see previous post), I'm unable to see video from my PS3 when connecting it via HDMI to a Samsung HT-TX72 and then sending the signal, still via HDMI, to a Samsung LN-T4665F.

I am not experiencing any audio issues when the PS3 is connected to the receiver's HDMI input. I only have a video issue. As an aside, the PS3 works perfectly when directly connected to the LN-T4665F via HDMI (all of my cables are of decent quality--braided with gold connectors, but brand unknown). But, of course this is not ideal, as the latter set-up won't allow me to take advantage the HT-TX72 surround sound (the TV can't decode and send out 5.1 sound to the receiver).

Basically, I'm asking if anyone has identified a true fix for the HT-TX72's HDMI input issue with PS3s. For some people, it would appear the HDMI cable was the culprit. For those individuals, what brand/type of HDMI cable resolved the issue? If the cable was purchased online, then a link would also be helpful.

As a point of note, when a game (not a movie) is in the PS3, I am able to see video for approx. 1.5 seconds when removing and reconnecting the HDMI input going into the TV from from the receiver. Afterwards, the screen promptly turns black and presents the "not supported mode" message. At the moment, I am sending video directly from my PS3 to the TV via HDMI and I'm sending the audio via a digital optical cable to the receiver (the HT-TX72 main unit). I adjusted the audio settings on the PS3 accordingly. This works, and it seems to be the same way that fathead302 circumvented the issue.

However, ultimately I'm not satisfied with the HT-TX72's HDMI input acting weird with the PS3. I primarily feel this way because I also have an Xbox 360 (the initial component model), which I was previously connected to my TV (the LN-T4665F) via the VGA HD AV cable (for 1080p on gaming and movies) and sending the audio to the receiver via a digital optical cable. Since there's only one digital optical audio input on the HT-TX72, I will have to always switch out the audio cables whenever I want to use the PS3 or the 360 (assuming I want surround sound). I can avoid this pain if the receiver's HDMI input worked properly, as it would allow the PS3 to be connected that way while allowing the 360 to send audio via the digital optical connection.

Guidance is much appreciated. My apologies for the lengthy read.

Peace & Prosperity,
deon40g
--------------------
Samsung LN-T4665F
Samsung HT-TX72 via HDMI
PS3 (40 GB) via HDMI & Optical Audio
Xbox 360 w/ HD DVD via VGA
thugzpassionstp7's Avatar thugzpassionstp7 02:02 AM 04-19-2008
Did you guys make sure the output of the sound was changed from "HDMI" to "optical" or from "Optical" to "HDMI" in the sound settings menu in the ps3??
telemike's Avatar telemike 07:28 AM 04-19-2008
You can get an optical switch for about $20 to switch between the 360 and ps3
SteveGuy's Avatar SteveGuy 04:44 PM 06-15-2008
Hello all from someone older and new to all the technology. These are the first comments I have found that closely relate to the issues we are experiencing. I bought a Samsung TV and the Samsung HT-TX72 Surround Sound System as a package deal (at Best Buy) and decided to go all out and get a Playstation 3 for my sons. (40gb) The Geek Squad set the whole deal up in my home. The Playstation had lines going through it during games and movies. We exchanged Playstations but the problem continued. Then we exchanged the AV jacks for an HDMI cable. That solved the problem temporarily. (At least enough time to get through "Uncharted - Drake's Fortune" and "Lost" video games. Now the video has turned to an effect I can only descibe as grainy or fuzzy - as if the colors were overmodulated, if that's the correct term. I exchanged HDMI cables for a higher priced one, and no change! (I am taking that cable back today.) Does this make any sense to anyone? Why did it work then stop working? I feel ripped-off. (Total package -over 3700 bucks!!!) The bad video appears immediately on the Playstation Menu Screen.
AANASA's Avatar AANASA 09:40 AM 04-12-2009
I use to have a 42in Plasma that had this grain problem on the PS3. Its a setting in the PS3 Menu that fixed it for me... It was kind of hard to find becasue I had no idea what it meant but it worked. Reply if you are still interested and I will look it up when I get home.. I am away for Easter.
dz2k's Avatar dz2k 08:52 AM 08-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by fathead302 View Post
After going through numerous different setups, I ended up connecting the Digital Audio Optical cable to the Flat Panel Out, and into the HTIB. This had not worked the first time i tried, but after shutting both down a few different times i finally got them to connect.

Thanks for the ideas.
We also have no digital optical sound connected as stated. We have an hd cable box instead of ps3. We Will power down a few times to see if it starts working. We get video and sound from tv. Now we just.need sound from HTIB unit on this tv input.
JChin's Avatar JChin 01:54 PM 08-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by deon40g View Post
Basically, I'm asking if anyone has identified a true fix for the HT-TX72's HDMI input issue with PS3s.
Hi deon40g and others, I know this is an old post but thought to respond anyway just in case.

This could possible be cause by the PS3 settings. Try turning off "Deep Color/Colour Output (HDMI)" under Display Settings and/or turn off "BD 1080p 24Hz output (HDMI)".
dz2k's Avatar dz2k 07:20 AM 08-25-2014
Specs:
SonyKDL50W800B
Samsung HT-TX72
Motorola Dch-3200 hd cable box

So we still cant get digital audio working from tv to this htib. Tv is on hdmi1 and also on hdmi4 before. Samsung is on digital in input although we tried them all. We powered both off at least 3 times. We even tried digital audio from cable box to the htib without luck. This is frustrating. The weird thing is that when tv hdmi2 and dvd is playing and htib is on dvd/cd setting...there is digital audio sound playing from the htib unit. We may have to go to 2 channel sound from tv to the htib on aux 2 red/white composite cable..arghhh.

We forgot to mention samsung unit now auto powers off while using it now. We will chk speaker connection red/black and ensure wires arent touching other wires as recommended.

I heard that one has to replace the whole system if we run into problems with an htib. Is this true? I wonder if we could just get a av receiver and separate dvd player to use with these htib speakers?
HDMI Guy's Avatar HDMI Guy 10:25 AM 08-25-2014
What is the model number of the Samsung HTIB? Are the only devices you are connecting a cable box, the Sony TV, and the Samsung HTIB? Also how many HDMI Inputs does the HTIB have? How many optical inputs does the HTIB have?
dz2k's Avatar dz2k 11:19 AM 08-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI Guy View Post
What is the model number of the Samsung HTIB? Are the only devices you are connecting a cable box, the Sony TV, and the Samsung HTIB? Also how many HDMI Inputs does the HTIB have? How many optical inputs does the HTIB have?
Sorry. Samsung HT-TX72 htib. These are the only 3 devices connected. Hdmi outs on samsung and cable box go to tv. Tv optical digital out goes to optical digital in on samsung htib. There is 1 hdmi in and 1 hdmi out and 1 optical digital in on htib.
Otto Pylot's Avatar Otto Pylot 12:12 PM 08-25-2014
If you are connecting HDMI to the tv and then trying to get audio from the tv to the TX72 via optical from those external sources it probably won't work. The HDMI out from the TX72 is basically for your video sources that are going thru the TX72 to the tv. The HDMI in would be for your cable box so that audio is played thru the TX72 and the video is sent to the tv. The optical out from the tv to the TX72 would be for audio which originates from the internal ATSC tuner. You could run your cable box directly to the tv using coax and into the ANT/INT input. And then use your tv's internal ATSC tuner to scan for your cable stations. However, you will have to manually select the input when you switch from cable to DVD or what ever. A programmable remote like a Harmony will easily accomplish that if you can't get your other remotes to play nice.

The problem with integrated HTiB's (built-in blu-ray/DVD players) is that the subs are usually passive (deriving its power from the main unit) which results in less than optimum bass and the fact that quite often the speaker connectors are proprietary so connecting the speakers to another, standalone receiver would be challenging, not to mention the fact that powering the sub would be difficult if not impossible.

There are very good HTiB's that you can get that are basically a non-integrated receiver (no built-in optical player) that have universal speaker connectors and powered sub-woofers (separate power supply). Better yet, depending on your budget, you can get a separate receiver, speakers, and blu-ray player instead of a HTiB.
dz2k's Avatar dz2k 02:48 PM 08-25-2014
Thanks for the responses. We made a mistake getting a htib. We did try hdmi from cable box to hdmi in on htib but still had problems. Since samsung htib has a built in dvd player it alwayss displays this on the hdmi2 port on tv. We couldnt get the cable box channels to show on the tv. The dvd was out of the player btw. The hdmi out on htib goes to hdmi2 on tv.

Also we didnt want to use antenna in on tv because that wouldnt display hd picture on an hd channel. At least thats what i thought. This is the reason for hdtv.
Otto Pylot's Avatar Otto Pylot 03:19 PM 08-25-2014
An HTiB is a great way for the budget minded to get 5.1 and HD audio from various sources. However, an integrated HTiB was probably not the best way to go.

If your tv has an ATSC tuner in it (not an analog NTSC tuner) there's no problem getting HD video using the COAX/ANT input or what ever it's called for your tv. If your source is broadcasting in HD, the ATSC tuner will decode and display it just fine. TV for us is OTA only so I have my outdoor antenna coax connected to the COAX/ANT input on my tv and it's perfect. Audio is crystal clear 5.1 when broadcast. You just have to scan for stations using either Cable, for cable tv, or Antenna for OTA tv. An ATSC tuner can display HDTV (because it's digital) as well as analog NTSC (SD). However, an NTSC tuner cannot display HDTV.

A lot of tv's won't pass audio from an external source (HDMI) out thru an optical cable. You either have to run the audio thru a receiver to the tv via HDMI or use the internal ATSC tuner as your audio/video source and then optical to the receiver for the audio portion. You can also use ARC (Audio Return Channel) which is bi-directional audio via HDMI but that has lots of issues and is not relevant to your situation.
dz2k's Avatar dz2k 05:12 PM 08-25-2014
This tv has atsc and ntsc tuner. We had it connected from tv out on cable box to tv ant in at one point. Will have to look at our options.
HDMI Guy's Avatar HDMI Guy 05:25 PM 08-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz2k View Post
This tv has atsc and ntsc tuner. We had it connected from tv out on cable box to tv ant in at one point. Will have to look at our options.
I still think your current equipment should work. Try connecting the cable box to the HDMI In on the HTIB. Do not use the optical cable. Leave the HTIB HDMI Out connected to any HDMI In on the TV. Use the HTIB remote to select the HDMI input and it should work for both audio and video.
I think it just a matter of selecting the correct inputs on the HTIB and the TV.
HDMI Guy's Avatar HDMI Guy 05:29 PM 08-25-2014
Quote:
I still think your current equipment should work. Try connecting the cable box to the HDMI In on the HTIB. Do not use the optical cable. Leave the HTIB HDMI Out connected to any HDMI In on the TV. Use the HTIB remote to select the HDMI input and it should work for both audio and video.
I think it just a matter of selecting the correct inputs on the HTIB and the TV.
Another thought. If my last suggestion does not work go into the cable box menu and make sure the audio out is set to HDMI. You may also have choices of what to send out HDMI. Try changing the audio out until you get sound from the HTIB.
dz2k's Avatar dz2k 05:46 PM 08-25-2014
Quote:
We've tried this setup from samsung htib hdmi out to hdmi2 on tv in the recent past. It only seems to display the dvd background is what im being told being that this unit is a dvd player a integrated htib. We viewed other tv inputs but no signal and it makes sense because only hdmi2 is being used from the htib to tv.

Also, it seems cable box hdmi outputs video and sound to tv hdmi1 in the recent past.
HDMI Guy's Avatar HDMI Guy 07:03 PM 08-25-2014
Quote:
We've tried this setup from samsung htib hdmi out to hdmi2 on tv in the recent past. It only seems to display the dvd background is what im being told being that this unit is a dvd player a integrated htib. We viewed other tv inputs but no signal and it makes sense because only hdmi2 is being used from the htib to tv.

Also, it seems cable box hdmi outputs video and sound to tv hdmi1 in the recent past.
1 Connect the HDMI IN jack of this unit and the HDMI OUT jack of a Cable Box.
2 Connect the HDMI OUT jack of this unit and the HDMI IN jack of your TV.
3 Press the AUX button on the remote control to select HDMI IN.
HDMI Guy's Avatar HDMI Guy 07:49 PM 08-25-2014
More information and diagram on page 20 of the owner's manual.
dz2k's Avatar dz2k 07:58 PM 08-25-2014
Understood. We just look at the future too when additional sources have to connect and how they wont have a port on htib hdmi in to connect to. Sources like gaming system, etc. We would.want audio thru htib too but would have to disconnect the cable box hdmi. We may just go with composite audio from tv to aux2 htib as im pretty sure thai does work. Will have to to wait to receive that cable though as its still in the mail.
dz2k's Avatar dz2k 02:08 AM 08-26-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
An HTiB is a great way for the budget minded to get 5.1 and HD audio from various sources. However, an integrated HTiB was probably not the best way to go.

If your tv has an ATSC tuner in it (not an analog NTSC tuner) there's no problem getting HD video using the COAX/ANT input or what ever it's called for your tv. If your source is broadcasting in HD, the ATSC tuner will decode and display it just fine. TV for us is OTA only so I have my outdoor antenna coax connected to the COAX/ANT input on my tv and it's perfect. Audio is crystal clear 5.1 when broadcast. You just have to scan for stations using either Cable, for cable tv, or Antenna for OTA tv. An ATSC tuner can display HDTV (because it's digital) as well as analog NTSC (SD). However, an NTSC tuner cannot display HDTV.

A lot of tv's won't pass audio from an external source (HDMI) out thru an optical cable. You either have to run the audio thru a receiver to the tv via HDMI or use the internal ATSC tuner as your audio/video source and then optical to the receiver for the audio portion. You can also use ARC (Audio Return Channel) which is bi-directional audio via HDMI but that has lots of issues and is not relevant to your situation.
That could work for ota for the local channels, etc that u can view thru coax but cable co will lock most of them out soon. From my google search it said using a cable box it wont let u output true hd thru coax out on cable box because coax unprotected and hdmi is protected. Therefore we use component or hdmi cables.
Otto Pylot's Avatar Otto Pylot 10:03 AM 08-26-2014
Discrete 5.1 audio is not the same as HD audio (Dolby DTS-MA, Dolby TrueHD, etc). High Definition audio is only available, at present, on blu-ray movies. Dolby 5.1 (AC-3) is part of the ATSC HDTV OTA protocols. Cable companies, on the other hand, are slowly doing away with QAM so you will not be able to get those few local stations from your cable company unless you pay for it. Nobody broadcasts HD audio yet because of the bandwidth restrictions so if you want to listen to HD audio, you'll need a blu-ray player to do that. The only thing that is "protected" on HDMI is HDCP, and that is there so you can't copy a high definition movie. Component cables carry a much better video but the audio is still analog (red and white cables) and can not carry digital audio like Dolby Digital. So while you may get a better pq with component, your audio is still analog.

With TrueHD (5.1 to 7.1), it almost always comes with a Dolby 5.1 companion track so that the player can output that to optical or coax out.

With DTS-HD/MA (5.1 to 7.1), there is DTS 5.1 core included in it. So players can simply extract the core and output that to optical or coax out.

If you want discrete 5.1 from your source, then HDMI is the only way to go. HDMI Guy is probably on the right track as well in that you're going to have to jump thru a few hoops to select the correct input for your source. Sounds like an HTS system upgrade is in your future.

HDMI Guy's Avatar HDMI Guy 11:56 AM 08-26-2014
Quote:
Understood. We just look at the future too when additional sources have to connect and how they wont have a port on htib hdmi in to connect to. Sources like gaming system, etc. We would.want audio thru htib too but would have to disconnect the cable box hdmi. We may just go with composite audio from tv to aux2 htib as im pretty sure thai does work. Will have to to wait to receive that cable though as its still in the mail.
Instead of composite audio (red/white) cables, I would at least try the optical cable. Just use the Aux button the HTIB remote. Perhaps that button accesses several inputs, I couldn't tell for sure from the manual. If you hit Aux and it is not on the correct input go the the HTIB itself and there is a button that will toggle through the inputs, optical is called digital. HDMI is also one of the choices. HDMI is still the best choice as you can then leave the TV on the same HDMI input all the time. You only need to change from cable box to DVD player using the HTIB remote.
1 2 

Up
Mobile  Desktop