Durabrand HT-3917 Vs. The Bose 3-2-1 system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-13-2008, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Here's my take on both systems we'll start with the Bose (I heard it once when I was attending highshool when we were watching "south pacific") and again at best buy

Whats in the Box- "Bass module",Wires,Manuals,2 satalites,DVD/CDplayer/Tuner module./remote.

The cubes:

Pro's: They sound clear and the dialogue is intelegable,and they present a decent if confused soundtage.

Cons: Some backgraound sounds are muddied,vocals are coloured heavily,some coane break up at high volume. They seem to be overwhelmed during intense scenes.

The "bass module"

Pro's: stylish,Big,can get Pretty loud

Cons: Limited frequency response,Little or no LFE capability,Flarts on deep bass and action scenes ,Distorts, Dialogue comes from it. Flimsy as hell.

Control center:

It's okay I guess its pretty cheep feeling and looking.

This system is imply overpriced for what you get at $500.00 if it were 59-$100.00 Nobody would complain.

Durabrand HT-3917

Price: 39.99

What's in the box:

Subwoofer,five Identical satalites,RCA cables. 3.5 MM cable,remote,batteries,manual/warranties.

The satalites:

Pros: -They sound good and crisp but nowhere near a bright as the Bose and they look better than the bose cubes. I can Understand the dialoge and hear the Ambient sounds without the muddiness that the Bose cubes introduces into the audio spectrum. And they sound good on music without the tizzyness that the bose has.

Cons: The wires are a bit too short.

The subwoofer:

Pro's: it can actually be called a subwoofer seince it does do the deep bass the Bose simply cannot do and this only is with a single "8"? tang band woofer. it has to at least go down to 26Hz because I get the suck in ears effect during underwater and heavy LFE scenes that the bose just cancels out /rolls off. it has a nice rich sound to it. A nice amp with heatsink on the back. And most of all it does NOT fart like the bose.

Cons: - No dolby or surround processing, No Speaker level inputs Just RCA Line level inputs and satalite outputs. and a 3.5mm input.

Remote: it does what it's designed to do control the volume of the system and the satalites.

I reccomend this over the 3-2-1 system for both music and Movies. I do wish there were speaker level inputs but you can hook both a tuner and a DVD changer to the back and have a nice little sound system tor the money.

One shall stand... One Shall Fall... - Optimus Prime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-14-2008, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Here we go again, lol
post #3 of 10 Old 02-14-2008, 05:16 AM

Liked: 10
I was under the impression that all Bose systems were garbage, that a $300 Onkyo walks all over them?
post #4 of 10 Old 02-14-2008, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Flatulent speakers are never good

post #5 of 10 Old 02-15-2008, 07:07 PM

Thats just stupid comparing a Walmart brand speakers to Bose speakers
post #6 of 10 Old 02-16-2008, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro_Penduko View Post

Thats just stupid comparing a Walmart brand speakers to Bose speakers

But the Bose Sounds Worse than the wal-mart speakers.

When a "subwoofer" cannot produce any usable information below 40-50 hz then you have a problem or outright junk .

post #7 of 10 Old 02-17-2008, 01:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leggs View Post

This system is imply overpriced for what you get at $500.00 if it were 59-$100.00 Nobody would complain.

So aside from your review of the Bose 321 which you have never owned and only heard in a store where did you get the price for the 321 at $500.00.

If your guna slam the Bose 321 you should at least get your facts right, you might want to double check the price.

As to your insightful review I found it very entertaining as I am always amazed at the BS folks will say to slam Bose.

For what its worth I have owned a few Bose 321's and been very happy with them, comparing the 321 to the DuraBrand,, Ohhh ma god,,, just when I thought I have read everything.

Aside from owning 321's I have also owned Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon and a whole bunch of other systems so I am not some dumbass that does not know any better.
Set up correctly and in the right room the 321's can be great sounding systems,, but then again,, what do I know,, Ive only owned them,,, you heard one in a store.

Cheers
Davyo
post #8 of 10 Old 01-15-2009, 04:23 PM

I just recieved the Bose 3 2 1 for 3 weeks ago for christmas and have to give this system an B- for over all sound and a D for DVD playback. The audio is really awesome if you compare it OEM TV speakers however it does not make the grade if you compare it to a new sony 5.1 surround system. I went over to my Dads house and sat down for his Sony STR-DG720 which has the bose 16 system and was BLOWN away. There is a magical feeling you get when sound is REALLY surrounding you. I am now at a loss since my wife bought me this bose 3 2 1 system and I seem to always return her gifts. Ok the last gift was a silver tiffany braclet which was $500 and I returned for the tiffany cross $120. I just knew I would get more use from it! So I called Bose and have to say that it was much to my surprise to find out the DVD player can only play 480i DVD's and then upscale them (this is really not a Bose issue but rather every upscaling DVD player). I must note that I ripped a back up copy from my blu-ray then recoded it to 1080i to see if the DVD player would play it but it is not supported. Do your self a favor and skip the 3 2 1 system you do not get the Bose name and little more. This may be edited later.

Mike
post #9 of 10 Old 01-13-2012, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leggs View Post

But the Bose Sounds Worse than the wal-mart speakers.

When a "subwoofer" cannot produce any usable information below 40-50 hz then you have a problem or outright junk .

Brought this thread back from the dead for good reason.

You're absolutely right Raymond. I agree with your overall assessment. Although I disagree about the "lack of surround processing" statement. True...it can't accept multichannel inputs; but the unit's signal processor does a commendable job at producing a very convincing 5.1 atmosphere.

This cheapie is a very respectable performer. It gets crapped on by some narrow minded reviewers for simply being an inexpensive Durabrand product. In addition the great majority of negative comments are posted by those who are apparently mentally challenged.

The fact is that I've owned an HT-3917 for six years now. The unit is left on 24/7 due to the inconvenience of it losing its settings when powered down. Still sounds just as great as it did from day one.

P.S. An uncle owns an original Bose 321...and yes it most certainly sucks indeed. Bass response is terrible, your fart analogy in relation to how it chokes terribly at the low end sums it up perfectly.

Long Live Durabrand
post #10 of 10 Old 01-13-2012, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

For what its worth I have owned a few Bose 321's and been very happy with them, comparing the 321 to the DuraBrand,, Ohhh ma god,,, just when I thought I have read everything.

Awe shucks Davyo.....sometimes the truth is rather unbelievable.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page