looking for the blackest most light absorbing fabric - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 38 Old 03-03-2008, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thread title just about says it all im looking for an ultra black material that will be used in the design of my new speakers, the fabric has to come fairly wide since they may be incorporated on the face of the speakers and also on the sides and top, any ideas and website where this can be ordered from?. The speakers will need to essentially "disappear from the frontstage. The designer is Mark Seaton of "Seaton Sounds" we thought it would be cool to incorporate this into the design for those of us who have speakers in front of our screens, for those of you who might follow Mark Seatons designs and installs these speakers are a further development of those that he designed for Art Sonneborn's theater. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 03-03-2008, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by funlvr1965 View Post

Thread title just about says it all im looking for an ultra black material that will be used in the design of my new speakers, the fabric has to come fairly wide since they may be incorporated on the face of the speakers and also on the sides and top, any ideas and website where this can be ordered from?. The speakers will need to essentially "disappear from the frontstage. The designer is Mark Seaton of "Seaton Sounds" we thought it would be cool to incorporate this into the design for those of us who have speakers in front of our screens, for those of you who might follow Mark Seatons designs and installs these speakers are a further development of those that he designed for Art Sonneborn's theater. Thanks in advance

Fidelio Black Velvet ordered from JoAnn Fabics. On sale about $10/yd
post #3 of 38 Old 03-04-2008, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

thanks I have been hearing about this fabric have you used it?
post #4 of 38 Old 03-04-2008, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've put Syfabrics Black Plush Velvet on top of my speakers in the past to kill reflections, and it worked well.
Can be had for a good price as well, $5.99, or $5.50 for >5 yds.
My screenwall is in a bit of an alcove, so I use this on the sidewalls(one of those walls is >3' deep, less than 1' from the edge of the screen), and it killed the reflections easily.
http://www.syfabrics.com/mojocart/di...cfm?prod_id=89

I want MY Cigarettes, MINE Nurse Ratched!!
Screen Pics
post #5 of 38 Old 03-05-2008, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Wish this stuff was already available

Scientists Invent Blackest Black

Reuters reports that researchers have made a substance that is so dark it absorbs more than 99.9 percent of light. It is being called the blackest black. The photo shows a National Institute of Standards and Technology reflectance standard (top), a sample of the new darkest material (center) and a piece of glassy carbon (bottom).
The substance has a total reflective index of 0.045 percent - which is more than three times darker than the nickel-phosphorus alloy that now holds the record as the world's darkest material.

Basic black paint, by comparison, has a reflective index of 5 percent to 10 percent.

The researchers are seeking a "world's darkest material" designation by Guinness World Records. But their work will likely yield more than just bragging rights.

Ajayan said the material could be used in solar energy conversion. "You could think of a material that basically collects all the light that falls into it," he said.
Pulickel Ajayan, who led the research team at Rice University in Houston, provided Reuters with these facts about the new material.

It is composed of carbon nanotubes, tiny tubes of tightly rolled carbon that are 400 times smaller than the diameter of a strand of hair. The carbon helps absorb some of the light.
These tubes are standing on end, much like a patch of grass. This arrangement traps light in the tiny gaps between the "blades."
The researchers have also made the surface of this carbon nanotube carpet irregular and rough to cut down on reflectivity.
post #6 of 38 Old 03-05-2008, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Joann's black velvet.Very black compared to the other blacks, they look gray.

KG
post #7 of 38 Old 03-05-2008, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

Wish this stuff was already available

Scientists Invent Blackest Black

Reuters reports that researchers have made a substance that is so dark it absorbs more than 99.9 percent of light. It is being called the blackest black. The photo shows a National Institute of Standards and Technology reflectance standard (top), a sample of the new darkest material (center) and a piece of glassy carbon (bottom).
The substance has a total reflective index of 0.045 percent - which is more than three times darker than the nickel-phosphorus alloy that now holds the record as the world's darkest material.

Basic black paint, by comparison, has a reflective index of 5 percent to 10 percent.

The researchers are seeking a "world's darkest material" designation by Guinness World Records. But their work will likely yield more than just bragging rights.

Ajayan said the material could be used in solar energy conversion. "You could think of a material that basically collects all the light that falls into it," he said.
Pulickel Ajayan, who led the research team at Rice University in Houston, provided Reuters with these facts about the new material.

It is composed of carbon nanotubes, tiny tubes of tightly rolled carbon that are 400 times smaller than the diameter of a strand of hair. The carbon helps absorb some of the light.
These tubes are standing on end, much like a patch of grass. This arrangement traps light in the tiny gaps between the "blades."
The researchers have also made the surface of this carbon nanotube carpet irregular and rough to cut down on reflectivity.

Thanks for digging that story up. I remembered reading about it, or something similar, a couple of years ago, and thought it would be really cool to incorporate in home theater applications. Not just for the room, but also to capture stray light bouncing around inside a projector.

Any clues when this, or something like it, might hit the market?

And, to the OP, I'll also recommend the Syfabrics option. Until this new stuff comes out, anyway.

Scott

post #8 of 38 Old 03-06-2008, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterdog View Post

Actually I went to Hancock Fabrics and the women I spoke to showed me what is called black velvetine and said if I did not want any light reflection this is what to use compared to the black velver. She said black velvet has a tendency to shine so I took her suggestion and only bought 3.5 yards x 42". Its was on sale for $5.50 a yard. I figured for 15 bucks if it did not work right I did not spend a lot. I cut a strip and took it down to my HT and hung it on the old screen and turned on my pj. NO LIGHT showed up completely dark. I had to get to within 2 feet to notice the picture on it. Great stuff and a lot cheaper. I wish I had more as I would send it to you. I only bought enough to make my outside frame and to cover the 2 center supports. I would think most fabric stores have this.

Scooter

Taken from Scooterdog's thread, "My New Sheerweave AT DIY Screen".

I saw it when I was looking up DIY screens, so I thought it would be helpful to mention it in here. Hope you don't mind scooterdog.
post #9 of 38 Old 03-06-2008, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funlvr1965 View Post

thanks I have been hearing about this fabric have you used it?

Yup, soaks up everything. JoAnn's has coupons for 50% off all the time but you might have to order it in-store if it's not in stock. Usually takes just a couple of days to receive. The worst part is shopping at JoAnn. Never been in such a customer (male) unfriendly store. Gabbing, checks, every purchase requires some special procedure - the whole nine yards (no pun intended).
post #10 of 38 Old 03-10-2008, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

my wife and I were at Joanns fabrics on sunday and the fidelio black velvet indeed did was the darkest material there, I will see if we have a coupon in this weeks paper. we did see some that looked close when not compared directly to the fidelio but once you held it next to it there was no comparison, the fidelio was the blackest every time.
post #11 of 38 Old 03-10-2008, 08:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Fidelo is good stuff....it will work fine. It's just a shame that it and Madonna BV never falls below $10.00 yard. Being available at local stores is a plus for many DIY'ers, but not as much as "Cheap" can be.
But it's no Blacker than, and hence no better than the Triple Velvet sold by Syfabrics for almost less than 1/2 the cost of the others "on Sale"...even with a Coupon for it at a local store. JoAnns and Hancock will give at most 40% off....from $18.00 per yard that is.

I personally have compared it all. Duvatine....Black Felt...Velvetine* Madonna.....Fidelo..., and the Black Velvets always win hands down.

Still, often, something just being more convenient will win out over what might be "best" but not nearly so easy to come by. Other times, not knowing for sure can lead one to being mislead.

*Scooterdogs example is typical. A Salesperson makes a statement to someone that's way off base factually, but it's intended to suggest a "savings". The results are however satisfactory enough, so then, the lessor cost makes it all seem like "The Best Deal" for him. But should it be recommended as being so? Not if it has not be directly compared to a viable alternative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterdog View Post

I had to get to within 2 feet to notice the picture on it.

That says it all. You have to get within 6" with a good black Velvet just to see a vague representation of the Light Spill along the edges. That would seem to make the extra $0.99 per yard well worth it. And as for the "feel" of velvet and how it "will not" show off lint and dust like the cheaper alternatives, there is no comparison to actually make at all.

Salespeople..... Was she pretty?

scooterdog, I'm glad you got what you were hoping for, I'm not trying to douse your enthusiasm. I'm just saying that without you having made the comparison, the only non disputable things you related is that Velvetine is cheap, and it worked well for you. And that is all that matters anyway really.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #12 of 38 Old 03-19-2008, 04:56 PM

MississippiMan

Thanks for helping all of us out.
Two questions, if I may:
- I'm wondering if the Syfabric velvet many recommend is the one at the Syfabric website below. Most posts refer to ID 89 but this one comes up selector ID168 and category ID 264. Price and description seem right.

http://www.syfabrics.com/View.aspx?S...CategoryID=264
This seems to be the only Triple Velvet on their site,

Secondly, I wonder if you or anyone else knows the name of the manufacturer of this velvet, or some kind of industry recognized code or wholesaler.
I'm curious as I may want to buy it from a relation with a fabric business, and I expect at a very favorable price which in my case is critical as I need about 75 yards. Am planning to do the whole front and part of the sides of the theater in velvet drapes. Will also use same material to canopy the ceiling. Want to make the front of the room a truelly "dark hole"

Thanks
post #13 of 38 Old 03-20-2008, 12:17 PM

In playing around with my framing i found that velvet does still give a small reflection.

What I finally ended with was a wool suit pant type material. I found it to relfect, in my opinion, almost nothing. With the old velvet during a movie I could see the frame, now with the new material it invisible once they lights go down.

Panasonic AE1000 - Loving 108" of 1080P
Blu - PS3
Red - Toshiba A3
Onkyo 605 - Loving Lossless Audio
post #14 of 38 Old 03-20-2008, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I went to Joanns and got black felt....somebody here said it's as black as velvet.

I get a 1/4" to 1/2" bleed off from my screen that falls onto my wall that's covered in a black foam (also from Joanns). When I put the felt in place, the bleed off of the image was just as visible.

I did put it on my ceiling, which greatly reduced the reflected light from the image, and the PJ, but it's not 100%, you can see the felt on the screen is lighter. Fortunately it was 40% off 4.99, so the toatl bill was $30...I may redo.

"Welcome To The Thunder Deck" our $6k theater/media room, 100% DIY

There are 2 types of people in this world - home theater enthusiasts and idiots
post #15 of 38 Old 03-20-2008, 06:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

PG,

You won't kick yourself if you do. The urge to spend less, combined with not having seen enough actual examples to make an informed decision has led many to report back about how satisfied "they" are with their choices. But I've also seen several state recently that Flat Black paint is all that is needed. And how satisfied they were as well. While the satisfaction of the individual involved is important, unless their satisfaction index is identical to everyone else's, somebody will soon be squawkin' about how they we led astray if they strongly suggest that everyone else should follow suit.

It takes not just confirmed results, but also a good deal of nerve(ie: balls) to suggest to people that what you recommend is "the Best Choice". You not only better be right, you have to hope someone else doesn't chew your leg off up to your Zipper for being audacious enough to suggest that "you" know what is best.

No Flat Black Felt, or Felt Tape will ever be a match for a mid-nap, dark Black Velvet. They work, but they are "alternatives" to more expensive but better working applications. And be certain of this, the brands of velvet mentioned in this, and other "Screen Trim" threads "do" work, so if it's suggested, and the price fits your budget, your gonna be as happy with the end results as you possibly can be.

That is until that "Space Age Blacker than anything in Existence" stuff can be had (Carbon nano-Tubes) and when that happens, I's got's ta git me sum of dat!

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #16 of 38 Old 03-20-2008, 10:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Fidelo is good stuff....it will work fine. It's just a shame that it and Madonna BV never falls below $10.00 yard. Being available at local stores is a plus for many DIY'ers, but not as much as "Cheap" can be.
But it's no Blacker than, and hence no better than the Triple Velvet sold by Syfabrics for almost less than 1/2 the cost of the others "on Sale"...even with a Coupon for it at a local store. JoAnns and Hancock will give at most 40% off....from $18.00 per yard that is.

I personally have compared it all. Duvatine....Black Felt...Velvetine* Madonna.....Fidelo..., and the Black Velvets always win hands down.

Still, often, something just being more convenient will win out over what might be "best" but not nearly so easy to come by. Other times, not knowing for sure can lead one to being mislead.

*Scooterdogs example is typical. A Salesperson makes a statement to someone that's way off base factually, but it's intended to suggest a "savings". The results are however satisfactory enough, so then, the lessor cost makes it all seem like "The Best Deal" for him. But should it be recommended as being so? Not if it has not be directly compared to a viable alternative.

That says it all. You have to get within 6" with a good black Velvet just to see a vague representation of the Light Spill along the edges. That would seem to make the extra $0.99 per yard well worth it. And as for the "feel" of velvet and how it "will not" show off lint and dust like the cheaper alternatives, there is no comparison to actually make at all.

Salespeople..... Was she pretty?

scooterdog, I'm glad you got what you were hoping for, I'm not trying to douse your enthusiasm. I'm just saying that without you having made the comparison, the only non disputable things you related is that Velvetine is cheap, and it worked well for you. And that is all that matters anyway really.

Hey thats ok. No she was an old lady but very nice. Actually we did look at both of them under a bright light side by side in the store. Granted its not a pj light hitting it but there was some shine as she said. Here are some pics I took. The 1st one where you see the home depot car was from about 2 feet away and the next two were from 6-8" away and the last pic I had the lens about 2" away...what do you think, not dark enough?
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #17 of 38 Old 03-21-2008, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

PG,

You won't kick yourself if you do. The urge to spend less, combined with not having seen enough actual examples to make an informed decision has led many to report back about how satisfied "they" are with their choices. But I've also seen several state recently that Flat Black paint is all that is needed. And how satisfied they were as well. While the satisfaction of the individual involved is important, unless their satisfaction index is identical to everyone else's, somebody will soon be squawkin' about how they we led astray if they strongly suggest that everyone else should follow suit.

It takes not just confirmed results, but also a good deal of nerve(ie: balls) to suggest to people that what you recommend is "the Best Choice". You not only better be right, you have to hope someone else doesn't chew your leg off up to your Zipper for being audacious enough to suggest that "you" know what is best.

No Flat Black Felt, or Felt Tape will ever be a match for a mid-nap, dark Black Velvet. They work, but they are "alternatives" to more expensive but better working applications. And be certain of this, the brands of velvet mentioned in this, and other "Screen Trim" threads "do" work, so if it's suggested, and the price fits your budget, your gonna be as happy with the end results as you possibly can be.

That is until that "Space Age Blacker than anything in Existence" stuff can be had (Carbon nano-Tubes) and when that happens, I's got's ta git me sum of dat!

MM,
I'll do a search to find this individual and report what I'm seeing. My wife would agree with you, cause it seems I wasted (more) money, and (more importantly in her mind) time. I love every minute tweaking/improving my room since I completed the official construction.

Reio-ta,
I also had the problem of Joanns not having Fidelio Black velvet, I called 3 stores within 15 minutes of my home/office. The Velvet I saw there had some shiny/reflective stuff that I didn't think would work....that's why I chose felt.

The felt worked, and the ceiling towards the back is difficult to define (black hole look), but up by the screen where the PJ light is reflecting on it, you can see the Felt not absorbing 100%. My wife wants me to redo the ceiling anyway. I rushed the Felt, and as a result, the edges are not perfectly straight lines. Cutting the felt wasn't easy and I was impatient. I bought a gallon of Contact cement gel that I rolled on, the stuff stunk up the whole house, and I had to keep walking out of the room getting light headed, so I was rushing the job.

"Welcome To The Thunder Deck" our $6k theater/media room, 100% DIY

There are 2 types of people in this world - home theater enthusiasts and idiots
post #18 of 38 Old 03-21-2008, 10:52 AM

SyFabrics stuff is super awesome, inexpensive and delivered quickly. I have it for my screen masking, and for the drapes in front of the screen.

You cannot go wrong with this stuff.

That's all I have to say about that.

the shortest distance between 2 points isn't the point
post #19 of 38 Old 03-21-2008, 02:31 PM

Karlito
Can you tell me which item this is on the Syfabric site e.g. ID, description price??
I posted above about 6 posts back asking if the one I think it is was correct.
Can you confirm I'm looking at the right one?

to quote my previous post

"Two questions, if I may:
- I'm wondering if the Syfabric velvet many recommend is the one at the Syfabric website below. Most posts refer to ID 89 but this one comes up selector ID168 and category ID 264. Price and description seem right.

This seems to be the only Triple Velvet on their site,

Secondly, I wonder if you or anyone else knows the name of the manufacturer of this velvet, or some kind of industry recognized code or wholesaler.
I'm curious as I may want to buy it from a relation with a fabric business, and I expect at a very favorable price which in my case is critical as I need about 75 yards. Am planning to do the whole front and part of the sides of the theater in velvet drapes. Will also use same material to canopy the ceiling. Want to make the front of the room a truelly "dark hole""

Thanks
post #20 of 38 Old 03-21-2008, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

It seems the Link I had is now dead(at least here).

I KNOW that when I posted that link, it WAS the stuff I bought(I checked the link), and it was $5.99 yd<5 yds, and $5 yd for 5 or more yds...
Now it seems to be $6.99 for 1-9 yds, and $6.50 for 10-29 yds

Maybe I'm missing something?

Screen Pics
post #21 of 38 Old 03-21-2008, 03:42 PM

treetops,

The first link you posted is correct. However, it looks like they've raised the price. In addition, their website seems to have gotten a face lift. The link I had in my favorites wouldn't connect.

I just received 6 more yards of material at $5.50 per yard. Now it appears to be $6.99 per yard for 1 - 9 yards. To date, I bought 5 yards for the first go, then 22 yards with which Mom made my drapes (had it shipped directly to her), then this latest order to finish up my masking nice and neat.

Not sure of the original manufacturer, but I would suggest finding something that looks really really black, has a good price and try it out.

One thing is for sure - almost any black will make a big difference over NO black.

I can't speak to the post by "reio-ta", but it sounds like some first hand experience talking there. Not sure of the substrates from Grandmother's experiences, but the SyFabrics triple black is 65% acetate, 35% nylon.

In my situation, the masking won't see much sunlight, so hopefully, fading won't be an issue. I guess only time will tell.

Of course, a simple test could be run - cut one piece and leave it out for light exposure, then keep the remainder safely tucked away. Compare at intervals to see what happens.

cheers,

Karl

the shortest distance between 2 points isn't the point
post #22 of 38 Old 03-21-2008, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I looks like I can see the backing of that stuff pretty easily, so regardless of how "Thick" it is, it wouldn't seem to matter if it has a weak thread count ...
BTW- I can see the backing on my TBV as well.
I don't know, maybe I'm in left field....

All I know, is I have the sysfabric TBV stuff, in an alcove less than 1' from the screen edge, using a AX100U projector, that can crank out lumens....
I have zero issue with reflections off of the wall that was a SERIOUS issue before hand.

Doesn't matter to me personally, I have zero to gain.....I only have experience with the Syfabric stuff, and it works pretty darn well IMO.

Screen Pics
post #23 of 38 Old 03-21-2008, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reio-ta View Post

Nice to hear the stuff works for you. Maybe it's higher thread count? But the stuff I got was ~$6 per yard too. The only way you can tell is by doing what I did, put blackout Carbonight 2 next to it on a carpet. Here's a picture of the carpet with only sunlight on it and no flash:

I imagine that Carbonight 2 along with the acetate/nylon in a batcave would be hard to tell the difference. It's only a difference if you use the flash.

Dunno re..

I wish I had some of those to do the same shot to see the difference bud, but I don't.
As I stated, the price seems to have gone up since I first posted that link..TBO, I was surprised it was at cheap as it was when I got it here...
As stated, most of these will do a fine job for 95+ % of folks.

m

Screen Pics
post #24 of 38 Old 03-21-2008, 05:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Yes.....they raised the price and the quantity required before the next price break.

But that's Triple Velvet.

At Hancock Fabrics, I've paid $10.99 yd in 30 yd+ quantities (Madonna or Super Eagle)and was glad for the discount (40% off Specials) when I could get it. Otherwise it was 12.99 to 14.99 yd depending upon supply. Most JoAnn Fabric stores carried Fidelo "only" and too many times a visit showed no PLUSH BLACK inventory.......at any price.

Then Syfabrics got 'founded' and those days were gone. It's been almost 3 years without a price change, but now...whoops der it is.... $1.00 yd more. That's not so bad as the bump from 5 yds to 9 yds to qualify fir the next pricing tier.

I can see the rush to Felt and Velveteen starting anew.

BTW, the low nap acetate/nylon blend velvet in the last image below is a poor quality example. It's got NO plushness, which is what makes light be absorbed "into" it not be allowed to escape through reflection. Worse still...if you wrap that thinner stuff around the edges of a corner, the pressure at that corner will part the Threads like a Rake Comb and you'll see the backing.

That just cannot ever happen with a deep nap Plush.

$7.00 yard? Grab it...and quitcher whinnin'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz View Post

Dunno re..
As stated, most of these will do a fine job for 95+ % of folks.

m

That's backwards. 5% are the people who do not listen or who don't care.
95% are the DIY'ers who deserve to have better.......it's just some don't get the message in time.
It's up to those who know through practical experience to relate the info in time.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #25 of 38 Old 03-21-2008, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Maurice,

All I know, is I was the 3rd post in this thread regarding this issue, a mere 3 hrs and 17 minutes after the OP....I can only do so much!!

Screen Pics
post #26 of 38 Old 03-21-2008, 06:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

My landlord will tell me I can't put it up "You'll burn the place down"!

Well yes, if your gonna upholster your room or ceiling with it, a PFR rating is advisable. But for a 2-1/2" wide Screen boarder?

All I can say is, "Put that damn Cigarette out! Your pluggin' up my PJ's Filter!"

My Gawd! I'd hate to think what I'd do if someone went up to put their nose close to my Screen with a lit spiff, er..... I mean cig.

Fer shur....that'll be the last movie they'd watch in this non-smoker's Theater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz View Post

Maurice,

All I know, is I was the 3rd post in this thread regarding this issue, a mere 3 hrs and 17 minutes after the OP....I can only do so much!!

....that's all you can do, and hope somebody listens. Ya dun gud.

Now stop smolin' and yu'll live to see the advent of the $300.00 2480p Projectors we "should" already be able to get. They gott'em in Japan, ya know..... Well not for that price though.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #27 of 38 Old 03-21-2008, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OMG! You have no idea how much I hate smokers. I try not to even talk to those who smoke if I can avoid it. I'm highly allergic to it. It needs to be made 100% illegal. I don't get why shooting heroine or crack is illegal, yet smoking isn't? I don't care if you kill yourself, but you're damn well not killing me with your second hand smoke. It took three months to get rid of the smoke smell in this one place I rented. I don't let anyone smoke in my place, ever!

Lets not start acting like Corky here..........

Screen Pics
post #28 of 38 Old 03-21-2008, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Moving on.....

Screen Pics
post #29 of 38 Old 03-22-2008, 08:55 AM

Thanks to all for the replies on Syfabric TBV. Seems to be the way to go. Unfortunately for me I need 70 -80 yds so the price increase is an "ouch" but not out of the question.

So a plush velvet it will be after visits to umpteen fabric stores and samples of all kinds of fabrics which I bought and tried at home. A real pain. When I stumbled onto this velvet thread, I immediately got velvet samples and, voila, nothing I had came close to its light absorbtion. Bad news is all the velvet locally is between $12 and $34! SyFabric wins so far.

But I would still like to pursue getting it at wholesale $.
Does anyone have any clue as to the manufacturer or its code in the trade?

BTW I have learned to bring a flashlite to the fabric store with me. Holding it 6" away from the fabric is a great way to quickly compare them.
post #30 of 38 Old 03-23-2008, 06:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlito1 View Post

I have a piece of black felt hanging right next to my triple black velvet. HUGE difference. The TBV is "really really really ridiculously good looking" by comparison.

Hmmmmmmmm.....................

To quote James T. Kirk;

Reply DIY Screen Section