post #61 of 164 Old 03-27-2008, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttabean View Post

Thanks to doc for the wonderful cheap idea. I was originally going to do a powered curtain but this works flawlessly with a powered screen.

What I ended up doing is producing two bars lining them up perfectly next to each other and then velcroing them to the chassis of my powered screen. They have a good inch 1/2 clearance from the screen. No worries of the screen being touched by it at all . I then aligned the image to the top of the screen and place the bars on the bottom of the screen. Then raise the screen to the proper ratio. The results are awesome Very happy and very glad I did this.

animated gif may take a moment to load 408k

You are welcome. Nice job, that looks terrific! Also nice touch with the animated gif.

My Ridiculously Inexpensive Dedicated Kick *** Home Theaters!
RIDKAHT <The Original>
RIDKAHT <<The Sequel>>
RIDKAHT <<<Part III>>>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 164 Old 03-28-2008, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I thought of that - shift the image to the top and then just have one bigger masking system for the bottom.
Two downfalls on this one for me -
The top bar produces a little more light on the ceiling than I want since my border touches the ceiling.
I need to mess around with my lense shift each time.

Though it looks like it works nicely for you.

"Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps? "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #63 of 164 Old 03-28-2008, 04:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by docprego View Post

You are welcome. Nice job, that looks terrific! Also nice touch with the animated gif.

I put all the lights on in the room to produce the best results. Unfortunately makes the image look horrible but gets the point across.

I now need to lower the screens initial height as the image is to high to watch but thats not to hard to do.

Joe.T
post #64 of 164 Old 03-28-2008, 04:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post

I thought of that - shift the image to the top and then just have one bigger masking system for the bottom.
Two downfalls on this one for me -
The top bar produces a little more light on the ceiling than I want since my border touches the ceiling.
I need to mess around with my lense shift each time.

Though it looks like it works nicely for you.

I guess it wouldn't be to terrible having a motorized lens shift but the reflexion would annoy me. Is the image to low if you have the bars on the top?

Joe.T
post #65 of 164 Old 03-28-2008, 04:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess it wouldn't be to terrible having a motorized lens shift but the reflexion would annoy me. Is the image to low if you have the bars on the top?

That might be an option - it wouldn't be any lower than it is now but then I might get reflections off of my speakers as my front area is very tight. See pics.

So if I read your post right - you are shifting the image up, the pulling the screen up to match the 2.35:1 image. You mentioned masking - what are you masking?
LL
LL

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #66 of 164 Old 03-28-2008, 04:40 AM
Advanced Member

If you look at the first pic I posted I placed the bar in the exact same place as the top border of the screen. When I raise the screen it eliminates the white area of the screen from showing up. You can't tell the difference at all when it's in position that its not a 2.35:1 screen

Joe.T
post #67 of 164 Old 03-28-2008, 04:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That might be an option - it wouldn't be any lower than it is now but then I might get reflections off of my speakers as my front area is very tight. See pics.

Do you get reflexion off your speakers when watching regular 16x9 content?

Joe.T
post #68 of 164 Old 03-28-2008, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you get reflexion off your speakers when watching regular 16x9 content?

No I don't....

Which projector are you using? and how big is your screen?

I can assume you have something with lense shift ?

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #69 of 164 Old 03-28-2008, 04:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No I don't....

So you should be fine no?

btw nice little setup you have there. Very clean looking

Joe.T
post #70 of 164 Old 03-28-2008, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

The reason I was thinking of reflection if I shift the image down and just mask the top is the normal lower black bar would be off the lower part of the screen and reflect off the speakers...etc.

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #71 of 164 Old 03-28-2008, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Which projector are you using? and how big is your screen?

I can assume you have something with lense shift ?

Sorry I missed your question some how. I'm using a JVC RS1 and the scaler i'm using is a DVDO vp50pro. The scaler has a whole bunch of options to shift the image. I wouldn't recommend one to anyone atm since the firmware that are present well with me are giving me issues with all sorts of stuff. I am able though to correct those issues but its very inconvenient process of doing so.

Joe.T
post #72 of 164 Old 03-28-2008, 05:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The reason I was thinking of reflection if I shift the image down and just mask the top is the normal lower black bar would be off the lower part of the screen and reflect off the speakers...etc.

Oh good point do you have a projector already or still shopping for one? I doubt though the shade of Grey would be bright enough to reflex that you'll notice a difference. Never know though...

Joe.T
post #73 of 164 Old 03-28-2008, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I am running a Panasonic ae900u right now that I will keep for a while. Started off with a Sanyo Z1. I usually buy something that is about a year old as the price is always good and the technology isn't too old.

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #74 of 164 Old 03-28-2008, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

That's always a great move to make. I started doing that. It's amazing how much these projectors dwindle in price. Imagine if cars were like like I'd have a 2000 Porsche 911 for like 5k haha

Joe.T
post #75 of 164 Old 03-28-2008, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I guess I will have to play around with my Panny/screen to see what the best option is.

Once I get there I will have to post some pics.

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #76 of 164 Old 03-28-2008, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I played around with this a little. I can zoom my image up easier than down- the way FP is mounted I can't get my image all the way down with lense shift.

The other issue is my border is very thin on the inside of the screen so I am not sure which option I would go with for masking. I may have to go with something that goes from outer edges of the screen.

The other downside of shifting it up for 2.35 movies is sitting in the front row your starting to look up even more.

I think it would be better to leave it as is and mask top/bottom or see if I can get the image to go down by adjusting my projector. If I leave it as is then I never have to use the lense shift and just throw up the masking system.

If I shift the image all the way up or down then I deal with masking and lense shift each time.

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #77 of 164 Old 04-01-2008, 12:14 PM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Great thread, I am definately going to try a foam manual mask, Lowes did not have the size I needed 12' wide, I found this site below that custom cuts the foam for only $13 for 2, ordered a 1/2" x 9.75" x 144 extra firm foam

http://www.foamproducts.net/products...ategory&dept=3
post #78 of 164 Old 04-01-2008, 02:23 PM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
On second thought I am now concerned that the foam I ordered custom cut will not be sturdy enough, oh well we shall see.

Can't find any styrofoam that is 12' wide
post #79 of 164 Old 04-01-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post

Doc,

I made some of these masks yesterday and also watched I Am Legend as my first scope movie.

I was unable to find the product you mentioned at Lowe's, well I wasn't able to find that product number. I took the product number to the customer service desk and it wasn't in their system at all. In their "styrofoam" section there weren't any 2x8 sheets. I have a 110" 16:9 screen and actually went with a 4x9' [yes I did type nine] because I wanted to trim it for an exact snug fit. I purchased the tougher styrofoam. I think it was called "R3" or something to that effect. I paid ~$13 for the sheet, even though I didn't need most of it.

I used spray adhesive to glue the velvet to the styrofoam panels and it worked perfectly. The adhesive did have a very insignificant reaction to the outer layer of the styrofoam that made it seem like it melted [very slight reaction]. I found this to be a good thing as it allowed me to drag my finger across the edges of the panels and actually make them more straight.

I'm glad I made these panels. It's a worthwhile project that will cost you very little and only take about 2 hours of time at most. I have them in place in just a few seconds. This will last until I attempt to put my engineering degree to use and develop an automated masking system.

Thanks for the tip!

scubasteve2365, any chance u can get me the number for the 4x9 as I am looking at getting something for my 120" that I will be building this week.

I was able to find the one mention here, but only available in 4x8 sheets. It's call "3/4"x4x8 super tuff-f r-5.0 item number 42821. 3/4" is the same depth as the regular 1x3 pine as I took one and put it next to it and it was pretty flush.

As for the magnet, I am looking at drilling a few holes and putting my little girl's magnetix in them and a drop of glue to hold them in place. This will be done to be the original mask and the addon mask.

post #80 of 164 Old 04-01-2008, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

The other thing is my screen is a painted screen so I don't want the masking system to touch the screen. Maybe I can try out a few ideas this weekend.
Still waiting for a post back from someone with pics on how they did there setup.

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #81 of 164 Old 04-01-2008, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
I wouldn't recommend doing lense shift unless you're not one to care if the image has an imperceivable or perceivable loss of picture quality....

Current Projects:
IN PROGRESS (80%) - Building 3D Theater room.
IN PROGRESS (30%) - Building Lounge/Hallway Area.
IN PROGRESS (15%) - Building Home LAN (4 PCs).
ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #82 of 164 Old 04-02-2008, 12:37 PM
M4H

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc View Post

I wouldn't recommend doing lense shift unless you're not one to care if the image has an imperceivable or perceivable loss of picture quality....

An optical lens shift should be barely perceivable - if at all.
post #83 of 164 Old 04-02-2008, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well I played around with this a little. I can zoom my image up easier than down- the way FP is mounted I can't get my image all the way down with lense shift.

The other issue is my border is very thin on the inside of the screen so I am not sure which option I would go with for masking. I may have to go with something that goes from outer edges of the screen.

The other downside of shifting it up for 2.35 movies is sitting in the front row your starting to look up even more.

I think it would be better to leave it as is and mask top/bottom or see if I can get the image to go down by adjusting my projector. If I leave it as is then I never have to use the lense shift and just throw up the masking system.

If I shift the image all the way up or down then I deal with masking and lense shift each time.

Yeah theres no real point in doing what I did unless you have
A) scaler and B) motorized screen.

What you did with just the two masks probably can't get anymore efficient for the price.

Could put them on door hinges and flop them down or up when you put a movie on. Probably want to make them larger so you don't drill into the frame of the screen. Wonder how that would look...

Joe.T
post #84 of 164 Old 04-02-2008, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I am trying to figure out how I can get the bottom one to stay up since my inside of the screen is probably not thick enough.
I can do the top like this one.

From Frorule - I used 1x6 poplar wood, but you could use cheaper stuff as long as it's straight. The poplar resists warping pretty well. I had to trim a few inches off each piece, and then had to slice it length wise with a circular saw and straight edge. The two nails are in the top piece of the border, both about 16 inches in from the outside edge, but really their placement doesn't matter, as long as they line up with the brackets on your top masking piece. The masking fits inside the screen border.

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #85 of 164 Old 04-02-2008, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am trying to figure out how I can get the bottom one to stay up since my inside of the screen is probably not thick enough.
I can do the top like this one.

From Frorule - I used 1x6 poplar wood, but you could use cheaper stuff as long as it's straight. The poplar resists warping pretty well. I had to trim a few inches off each piece, and then had to slice it length wise with a circular saw and straight edge. The two nails are in the top piece of the border, both about 16 inches in from the outside edge, but really their placement doesn't matter, as long as they line up with the brackets on your top masking piece. The masking fits inside the screen border.

That bottom one could work the same way. Just place the brackets so that they come out to the side and over the frame on the left and right. Have a set of nails to hang them on just like the top one. Hard to describe, let me know if you can picture what I am saying.

BTW I watched my first Blu-ray with the masks-"Across The Universe", holy %$%%$&^%@*&&^(*&(*

Blu-ray always looked good to me but apparently I didn't know what I had been missing. It was unreal.

My Ridiculously Inexpensive Dedicated Kick *** Home Theaters!
RIDKAHT <The Original>
RIDKAHT <<The Sequel>>
RIDKAHT <<<Part III>>>
post #86 of 164 Old 04-03-2008, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Never thought of doing it this way - though magnets where mentioned.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=913563

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #87 of 164 Old 04-07-2008, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docprego View Post

This is my second home theater. In my first I made my screen in a 4:3 aspect ratio but quickly discovered that I was waching a lot of DVD's and converted it to 1.85:1. This was great if movies were in that ratio but the black space above and below the image (actually gray space) was always something that I could do without.

In my current HT I made a 1.85:1 screen to maximize the image size when watching HDTV, something I did not have to consider on my first HT 5 years ago. Now that I have a 1.85:1 screen I love it with HDTV and Blu-rays and DVD's that are in that ratio. But as you all know most movies these days are 2.35:1 or it seems even more common 2.40:1.

So for the last year I have been thinking of ways I could maintain my 1.85:1 screen for HDTV and movies in that ratio but also rid myself of the gray space above and below the image when viewing 2.35 or 2.40:1 movies.

Today I finally solved my problem. I got the bug to conquer this late last night and by the morning I could not get to Home Depot quick enough. My plan was to buy some foam that I could cut a couple of masks out of and then cover the foam in velvet. It turns out I had exactly enough velvet left over from when I built my DIY screen that these masks are for.

So I went to Home Depot and took a lok at the foam, it was immediately obvious that the foam was too flimsy and I would barely even be able to put the velvet over it, let alone pull it tightly. So after a quick browse around HD for alternatives I hit the road to Lowes hoping for better.

At Lowes I found the same flimsy foam, my hopes were dashed. But alas! There was another type of foam at Lowes, it was blue rather than the white that all of the other foam was. This foam was MUCH sturdier yet it almost seemed to weigh less, it certainly did not weigh more. It comes in a 2ft x 8 ft sheet for $7.50 give or take a few cents. I picked out a clean one with sharp edges and headed to get some more supplies. Standing in Lowes I started to formulate the plan in my mind. I would cut each of the 2 masks from each of the 2 long ends of the foam, that way the factory cut edge would be my edge that the movie will end at hopefully keeping the image lines sharp on screen.

But how would I keep these masks in place? My first thought was that it would be great if they fit inside my screen frame tightly by friction alone. I grabbed some Velcro just in case and then got a roll of masking tape to secure the velvet onto the foam, and a utility knife to cut the foam.

I got home and projected a 2.40:1 Blu-ray on to my screen and measured the bars, they were approximately 5 inches tall each. So I cut the 2 masks to 5 1/4 inches tall each and exactly 77 3/4 wide which is the inside dimensions of my frame. I figured the velvet on top of the foam would ensure a tight fit even if I made the mask the exact same width as the inside dimension of the frame. Next I covered the mask with the velvet left over from covering the frame when I made this screen, of course this added the additional benefit of the masks matching the frame exactly. I used masking tape to pull the velvet tightly around the foam and secured it to the back of the mask. Once the mask was covered in velvet I test fit it, about a quarter of an inch too wide. I could force it in but then it bowed in the center. So I opened the velvet up and cut off a tiny amount of foam and recovered it. THis time, BINGO! It fit like a champ, no Velcro needed the friction was more than enough to hold it in place. I tried it on the top and the bottom and both stayed in place beautifully.

Finally I repeated the process to make the second mask. So how did it turn out? A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!!! I was flabbergasted and giddy when I projected my first 2.40:1 movie on it, it was beyond belief the improvement that the masks made. Besides that the masks completely blended into the surrounding frame due to the matching velvet and it was as if I had a 2.40:1 screen hanging on my wall! Colors pop a lot more now and I am totally unaware of bars or any other distractions, just the movie the way it was intended to be viewed.

Would I change anything or do anything different? Well the velvet does not fit as tight around the masks as I would ideally like. This is due to the fact that I had to use masking tape to secure it, I could not think of a better way to attach velvet to foam. Still it looks 95% great with a few areas along the edges of the mask that are less than perfectly sharp.

Overall I am thrilled with this mod/upgrade and highly recommend it to all DIY screen builders. Total cost for this upgrade was $7.50 for the foam, $2.50 for the masking tape, $1.96 for the utility knife and the original cost of the velvet that I bought a year ago. So I guess I spent about $20 total including the velvet but I think I am overestimating.

Photos:

This is the screen as it was in 1.85:1 ratio with no masks. You can really see those gray bars above and below I was targeting.

This is the screen with the masks in place now in 2.40: 1 ratio. The masks can't even be detected, the screen just looks like it is a 2.40:1 ratio screen.

This is a shot with the lights out of the screen without the masks. On my laptop the gray bars are very obvious, on my desktop computer they are hard to see. If your computer makes them difficult to see, Trust me the bars are very visible in person and annoying.

This one is a shot in the dark with the masks installed.

If interested here are links to the 2 images above of the screen in the dark with the masks installed:

http://members.cox.net/docprego/ScreenHR-masks.JPG

And without the masks installed:

http://members.cox.net/docprego/ScreenHR-no masks.JPG

Warning those files are huge and it is still difficult to see the gray area on my desktop but easy on my laptop. If you look hard enough you can see the gray bars in the no masks shot. The giveaway though is the pause icon on the lower left corner of the screen. On the masks image you can't see it, the velvet completely absorbs the light but on the no masks image it is clearly visible.

Here is a shot with the lights on of the masks uninstalled and standing up against the screen.

So I may have to buy a sample of velvet. The reason being in your shot the pause Icon disappears. If I shift my image up/over the the black paint it doesn't disappear.

I am still debating on which way I want to do this. Shift image up and do one big masking below the image or leave image as is and do top/bottom masking though I may have to go to black velvet.

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #88 of 164 Old 04-10-2008, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I bought a sample of some black velvet from Joannes fabric to test it against my flat black paint. It is better but doing the pause test like above still isn't completely gone? Would this be because it isn't the blackes velvet. They only had two to choose from and I chose the one that looked darker to my eyes.

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #89 of 164 Old 04-11-2008, 10:24 AM

Make sure you get the "Fidelio black velvet". It's about $20/yard.
post #90 of 164 Old 04-11-2008, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

They have coupons all the time with 50% off

Joe.T
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page