post #91 of 164 Old 04-13-2008, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post

I bought a sample of some black velvet from Joannes fabric to test it against my flat black paint. It is better but doing the pause test like above still isn't completely gone? Would this be because it isn't the blackes velvet. They only had two to choose from and I chose the one that looked darker to my eyes.

I got it at Hancock fabrics. I don't remember the brand but it was something like $17 per yard. This velvet is really black, much blacker than the velveteen I had used in the past.

My Ridiculously Inexpensive Dedicated Kick *** Home Theaters!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 164 Old 04-13-2008, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Here is something I found -I will have to try and take a pic of mine out in the light against something black.
LL

"Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps? "

post #93 of 164 Old 04-13-2008, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here is something I found -I will have to try and take a pic of mine out in the light against something black.

Mine is definitely like the Fidelio, great stuff!

My Ridiculously Inexpensive Dedicated Kick *** Home Theaters!

post #94 of 164 Old 05-01-2008, 07:43 AM

I just finished up my velvet covered panels (made exactly as docprego did except I used spray adhesive - what a messy job that was).

All I can say is WOW! What a difference.

Such a dramatic improvement for so little investment.
post #95 of 164 Old 05-02-2008, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

I just finished my masks using blue Styrofoam from Lowes, 3M spray adhesive (safe for Styrofoam), SYFabrics black triple velvet, and self-adhesive velcro strips for attaching to the frame.

Result, picture taken during the day in my bonus room:

Here is the before picture. You can see the shadow on the lower right of the screen from the speaker. There is a decent amount of light leakage around my slightly too small 12' wide drape into the room right now. On my to-do list is to widen the drape another 1' on each of two panels.

Here is a picture of the full panel, from the back. I just sprayed on some adhesive, and folded the velvet over. I am going to touch up the adhesive in a couple places to tighten it up a bit, but it works well as is. You can see the light leaking around the edges of the drape. It is much worse in the center near the top, ala the shadow from the rear speaker on the right hand side.

And a detail of the velcro on the back. I just cut off a section, peeled the plastic backing off, and stuck to the back of the mask in the correct spot.

post #96 of 164 Old 05-02-2008, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Riblet,

Is your velcro sticking to the outside of your frame then?

Masking system just sits inside the frame or does it go to the outer side?

Can we get a picture of the masking system in place with the lights on. and a close up.

post #97 of 164 Old 05-02-2008, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

I have a purchased screen, where the screen material is bordered by a sewn-on faux leather, a couple millimeter's thick. I cut a piece of the fuzzy part of the velcro and stuck it straight onto the faux leather frame. The mask panel sticks on the outside of the frame, with the end going well past the ends of the screen and border. It sticks out about 6" on each end. But that is the magic of Black Velvet. I can not see it, and I tried a few photo's, but you cant see the mask at all. It just disappears.

Here is a screen shot without the frame attached, hope it shows what you were looking for:

post #98 of 164 Old 05-02-2008, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes it does as I am debating on my masking to just fit the inside of the screen or do like you did though your screen is flush with your border. My border sticks out a little compared to my screen. I will have to try a few things to see what I like.

Thanks!

post #99 of 164 Old 05-02-2008, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok so I was playing with a masking system and noticed that when 16:9 my screen fills the screen equally but with my masking system if I just do inside of the screen the top is 4" and the bottom piece is roughly 5 1/4" any good reasoning on this?

post #100 of 164 Old 05-18-2008, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Can anyone answer my quesiton above?

post #101 of 164 Old 05-18-2008, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe people aren't understanding the question. Are you saying your 2.40 source is not centering the image?

Have an Onkyo 805 receiver and having trouble setting up Audyssey?
is a mini how-to.
Click
to check out my comparison review of 5 different projection screen fabrics.
post #102 of 164 Old 05-19-2008, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

That could be it - basically my 16:9 source fills the screen. But when a 2.35 to 1 is showing the top black bar is a tad smaller than the bottom bar. I tested some DIY panels and the top one I had to cut down to 4" while the bottom one is 5 1/4" in height. I would think both would be the same - Does this make sense?

post #103 of 164 Old 05-19-2008, 10:21 AM

When I made my panel I measured a lot of movies and found there to be only 1/4" difference between the top and bottom bars on any given movie.

Could your 16:9 images actually be spilling over the edge of your screen so you dont see that the image is not dead center?
post #104 of 164 Old 05-19-2008, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Not that I am aware of because if I shift the image up or down then you see the gray bar vs black area where it is no longer part of the image.

post #105 of 164 Old 06-16-2008, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I finally did mine - not as clean as everyone elses but it works. The outer dimensions of my screen is 87" across so I just cut a 6" wide bord that length for the top/bottom piece and hung by nails. Like I said not the cleanest but with the lights out it works fine.
Watched my 1st 2:35 movie last weekend and thought it looked great.

post #106 of 164 Old 08-01-2008, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I am planning to do mine soon, I have a Dalite Dasnap screen like Riblet above, so I'll have to do the velcro flush thing also. Thing is, I have a 147in HP screen, which is 10 and a half ft wide. If the foam only comes in 9ft lenghts, I'll have to splice it. Think maybe thin wood(yard stick thin... probably yard sticks lol) duct taped to the two pieces would hold it well enough? Asthetics won't matter as they'll be covered in velvet anyway. Storing them will be easy, I have black material all along the screen wall and ceiling, they'll blend right into the background standing against the wall.

I'll be going to Lowes tomorrow to see what they have in any case.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Snake Plissken

post #107 of 164 Old 09-02-2008, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I like this idea... been thinking about doing this slightly different though, by doing this:

FLAPS!

The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (
, and
)
Pixar screenplay slideshows
!
post #108 of 164 Old 09-20-2008, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Ah the wonders of the creative minds. I will try todo something this weekend, in preparation for Iron Man.

I use a sim2 ht380 and 141" 1.78 screen. When I didn't have my walls painted black, you couldn't notice any "black bars" as it all looked the same. Now 2.35 content definitely has gray bars...

Time to get rid of those somehow.

-ELmO

Current Projects:

ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #109 of 164 Old 09-20-2008, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Elmo, take pics and let us know what you come up with!

, and
)
!
post #110 of 164 Old 09-20-2008, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post

I like this idea... been thinking about doing this slightly different though, by doing this:

FLAPS!

I would like to do flaps but my top of my screen touches the ceiling so not quite as easy but possible.

post #111 of 164 Old 09-20-2008, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I've also considered flaps of some sort. But the problem with that, is that some movies are 2.35:1, other 2.40:1 and a few other oddballs, not to mention HD content over the satalite usually has smaller black bars, etc, too many variables for only one set position.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Snake Plissken

post #112 of 164 Old 09-20-2008, 02:09 PM

Just made my 2.40 panels and must say what a huge difference, even the wife said so. I used the 1" rigid styrofoam which I cut same size as screen sprayed it with 3m adhesive and wrapped it in black felt, all for under $20 bucks. I also made two U shaped brackets for when not use I just slide em in there.
post #113 of 164 Old 09-20-2008, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnifehr View Post

Just made my 2.40 panels and must say what a huge difference, even the wife said so. I used the 1" rigid styrofoam which I cut same size as screen sprayed it with 3m adhesive and wrapped it in black felt, all for under $20 bucks. I also made two U shaped brackets for when not use I just slide em in there.

pics please?

, and
)
!
post #114 of 164 Old 09-20-2008, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm in the same situation, as the top of my screen is nly 2 inches away from the ceiling (!). Anyhow, you can just have the top flap rotate 90 degrees flat against the ceiling. No big deal...

Quote:

I would like to do flaps but my top of my screen touches the ceiling so not quite as easy but possible.

, and
)
!
post #115 of 164 Old 09-20-2008, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I never thought about this, but I noticed several 2:40 movies place the captions (text) on the lower black 'bar'. So, if you mask, you won't see the text. how do people deal with this? !

Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99 View Post

I've also considered flaps of some sort. But the problem with that, is that some movies are 2.35:1, other 2.40:1 and a few other oddballs, not to mention HD content over the satalite usually has smaller black bars, etc, too many variables for only one set position.

, and
)
!
post #116 of 164 Old 09-20-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:

I never thought about this, but I noticed several 2:40 movies place the captions (text) on the lower black 'bar'. So, if you mask, you won't see the text. how do people deal with this? !

That's the only real drawback... some people don't do it for that reason, others don't mind as much.
post #117 of 164 Old 09-20-2008, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm in the same situation, as the top of my screen is nly 2 inches away from the ceiling (!). Anyhow, you can just have the top flap rotate 90 degrees flat against the ceiling. No big deal...

Not sure there is enough room with what I already use.

post #118 of 164 Old 09-21-2008, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

My screen is over 9 feet wide so I'm going to have to glue 2 of these boards together?

Current Projects:

post #119 of 164 Old 09-21-2008, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc View Post

My screen is over 9 feet wide so I'm going to have to glue 2 of these boards together?

If they are covered in black velvet I doubt you'll notice them in a pitch black room. I can't with mine even when it's light out

Joe.T
post #120 of 164 Old 09-21-2008, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

My thoughts were, to glue 2 of the styrofoam boards together to get my correct width. At that point, the velvet would cover ita ll up.

Funny about the guy's yardstick post, i was considering it - but I don't actually use a screen - I use a white wall (surroudned by black paint). I don't want anything messing up my wall accidentally (since it's used as my screen too) - the velvet is probably soft enough. Any other ideas other than super gluing/duct taping the boards together then wrapping velvet around?

Here's how 2.35 content appeared BEFORE I painted the room black - you couldn't see any "black bars" because the wall was white!:

Pretty nifty side effect, but we're definitely losing the POP and ANSI.

I also don't have a ton of room (maybe only an inch) between the top of my screen - and ceiling - but no matter with this velcro option...

I'll see what I can rig up today if I have some time.

-ELmO

Current Projects:

Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page