FINALLY getting a screen for the Mits HC1500? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-30-2008, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, after a 9(?) month delay, I'm finally getting a screen up for the HC1500. Naturally I've misplaced my notes, drawings, etc., so I'm kind of starting back from scratch. After doing some reading it appears that the HC1500 should handle a 110" screen. I've got some WA DW laminate that I'm going to use. The room will have a slight amount of ambient light (church fellowship hall with lighting so folks can get to the restroom, etc.,) I'm planning on shooting at ~16" from the floor rather than ceiling which should get the picture off the floor about 3' which should be good for a group of folks sitting at tables to view.

I was planning on attaching it to a solid substrate but I've now decided on a frame.

Any thoughts or pointers that you have that might refresh me on the "how-to's" of the project would be most welcome.

Thanks,
Ed

Intheswamp, but on a hill...
...and haven't seen *my* bailout, yet!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2008, 02:22 PM

Don't use adhesives like glue/contact cement to attach it to any vertical or horizontal support you may add, it can easily result in waves or ridges in your screen. You can always use velcro to attach it to your frame, just to see how it works before you start putting holes in your laminate. Keeping it flat and smooth will be your goal, especially without using a substrate to attach it to.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, jsegura3. Yes, no glue in the interior portions of the screen.

Since making my original post I've stopped by the cabinet shop that was going to help with the screen frame. The owner and one of his guys were going to do the frame for me but after months of waiting I decided to rig something up myself. I dropped by yesterday to pick up my (paid for) 5x10 (actually 5x12...one end was slightly damaged and the supplier sold it to me as a 10' piece) pice of DS. I figured I would have issues with getting it to lay flat after it had been rolled up for so long. Well, apparently the sheet has disappeared from their shop. The foreman told me they had cleaned the shop up a while back and had probably sent it back. Hopefully that's the case and I can get a new (flat) sheet to work with.

Ed

Old 10-01-2008, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Well, figure the odds...they found the old sheet. I guess I'll have to deal with a possibly ornery piece of laminate. Figuring the sheet has been rolled up for so long I belive my best bet will be to affix it to a sheet of 1/2" MDF or some other substrate rather than to attach it to an open air frame...it'll be heavier but the wall has been holding up a large chalkboard for years so there shouldn't be a problem in that regards.

Ed

Old 10-01-2008, 08:28 PM

That's probably your best bet, I like the idea of a light screen too, but it's not like you are going to move your screen around a lot. I know I don't
Old 10-05-2008, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
use white paint

Current Projects:
IN PROGRESS (80%) - Building 3D Theater room.
IN PROGRESS (30%) - Building Lounge/Hallway Area.
IN PROGRESS (15%) - Building Home LAN (4 PCs).
ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
Old 10-06-2008, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc View Post

use white paint

Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Well, we're getting closer to getting the screen up on the wall and I've got a question regarding light reflection from the ceiling.

First, here are a few specs of the church setup:

*The viewable screen will be 110" (54"x96") with a 3" triple-black velvet border around it.

*The screen will be mounted on a dark, wood paneled wall with a brown linoleum floor in front of it. The ceiling is a slightly off-white, heavily textured sheetrock.

*The Mit HC1500 will be shooting portable at a height of about 16" from the floor thus I'm thinking the angle of reflection will be toward the ceiling.

I'm concerned about the light reflecting off of the ceiling. My thoughts are to have a solid (non-split) curtain to cover the front of the screen when it's not in use. The backing of the curtain will be black velvet. When the screen is being used the bottom edges of the curtain will be pulled up to and attached to the ceiling via hooks basically created a "near screen" surface of black velvet. Do you think this would be worth the effort/expense?

Thanks,
Ed

Old 10-09-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intheswamp View Post

Well, we're getting closer to getting the screen up on the wall and I've got a question regarding light reflection from the ceiling.

First, here are a few specs of the church setup:

*The viewable screen will be 110" (54"x96") with a 3" triple-black velvet border around it.

*The screen will be mounted on a dark, wood paneled wall with a brown linoleum floor in front of it. The ceiling is a slightly off-white, heavily textured sheetrock.

*The Mit HC1500 will be shooting portable at a height of about 16" from the floor thus I'm thinking the angle of reflection will be toward the ceiling.

I'm concerned about the light reflecting off of the ceiling. My thoughts are to have a solid (non-split) curtain to cover the front of the screen when it's not in use. The backing of the curtain will be black velvet. When the screen is being used the bottom edges of the curtain will be pulled up to and attached to the ceiling via hooks basically created a "near screen" surface of black velvet. Do you think this would be worth the effort/expense?

Thanks,
Ed

How tall is your ceiling? Is the ceiling paint flat? What color did you say your walls were? Are they painted flat?