My WA, DW, aluminum frame screen build - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 240 Old 11-30-2008, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That's exaclty what I'm going to do. I'm actually going to lay out a few 2x4's on the ground and then put a cheap sheet of OSB on top of them. I'll secure the OSB to the 2x4's with screws. This way the OSB will be "off the ground" and very secure. I'll then lay the laminate on top of the OSB - securing the end of the laminate I'm going to cut off (the short side) with clamps and I'll clamp the long side down using another 2x4 that I'm going to use as my guide when cutting. It may be overkill, but I can't screw up another sheet

By the way, definitely don't use tin snips. I tried it on the sheet I screwed up and it cracks and tears all over the place - no matter how delicate you are with the cuts. It's too bad because cutting it with tin snips was like cutting paper. It was a breeze.

Travis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

I wouldn't use the tin snips, it might put cracks in the edge.

tvanslooten, just put a wood board on your saw horses first (for support), then lay the laminate on top of that. Or just lay in out on the floor, and put a thin piece of plywood under the part you're cutting.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 240 Old 12-01-2008, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvanslooten View Post

Are you still looking for a distributor for the 80/20? My guy here in Minneapolis can have these built for anyone. He just has 80/20 ship it directly to your house so it doesn't matter where you live. PM me if you need his name and email. He'll take care of you.

Travis

I was able to get it ordered and it's supposed to be here this week. I have everything else except the black velvet tape, which I'm actually holding off on.
post #63 of 240 Old 12-02-2008, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20fan View Post

You are very welcome ! It feels good to share experiences, especially when I am very happy with the way my screen and frame turned out. Glad to be able to share another option for us DIYer's to consider.

Anyone reading this forum using a 1080P projector with their DW screen? If so, can you share your thoughts?

20fan;
great thread, possibly I'll use your industrial velcro idea to attach my DW laminate to wood for my DIY screen, maybe this weekend!
(I'll search this DIY forum to see other mtg mehods for laminate to wood; screwed vs glue & screwed vs your velco vs other)

I have a SonyVW60/PanamorphUH380/PS3 1080p combo shooting onto a soon to be completed DW 2.35:1 screen.
I'll let you know my impressions going to that from a primed drywall temp viewing surface.

Here's my curved 2.35:1 screen in process as of Monday night, waiting for laminate install right now!
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1029683
post #64 of 240 Old 12-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Hi 20sfan,

Looked thru this thread quickly, to see if this had been mentioned already. 8020 has an eBay "Garage Sale" store where they sell their excess or cut offs. They do sell the "Quick Frame" & T-slot products there. Maybe check there to see if they offer any better price on the cutoffs. They show 51 "Quick Frame" items for sale;

http://stores.ebay.com/8020-Inc-Gara...QQftidZ2QQtZkm

96.50" #9000 $12.50 ea
48" #9000 6.25 ea
2-way corner conn # 9220 N $2.69 ea
3-way center T-conn # 9230 N $2.60 ea

How do these Garage Sale prices compare to what you have found from their dealers ?

John
post #65 of 240 Old 12-02-2008, 01:29 PM

Here is what I paid:
4 9220 2-way corners $2.60 each...............................$10.40
4 9230 3-way tees $2.60 each...................................$10.40
4 9000 44" lenghts of 1" square tube ($5.72 per ft)........$22.88
6 9000 30" lenghts of 1" square tube ($3.90 per ft)........$23.40
10 7310 cuts to square tube ($1.60 per cut)................$16.00

Total cost without shipping or tax...............................$83.08
Total weight 8.43 pounds

I went through Shepherd Controls here in Texas.
post #66 of 240 Old 12-02-2008, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGTX View Post

Hi 20sfan,

Looked thru this thread quickly, to see if this had been mentioned already. 8020 has an eBay "Garage Sale" store where they sell their excess or cut offs. They do sell the "Quick Frame" & T-slot products there. Maybe check there to see if they offer any better price on the cutoffs. They show 51 "Quick Frame" items for sale;

http://stores.ebay.com/8020-Inc-Gara...QQftidZ2QQtZkm

96.50" #9000 $12.50 ea
48" #9000 6.25 ea
2-way corner conn # 9220 N $2.69 ea
3-way center T-conn # 9230 N $2.60 ea

How do these Garage Sale prices compare to what you have found from their dealers ?

John

Guess I made out a little better through my distirbutor as well:

4 9220 2-way corners $2.47 each...............................$9.88
4 9230 3-way tees $2.47 each...................................$9.88
4 9000 52" lenghts of 1" square tube (.1235 per in)........$25.69
6 9000 30.67" lenghts of 1" square tube (.1235 per in)........$22.72
10 7310 cuts to square tube ($1.52 per cut)................$15.20

Total cost without shipping or tax...............................$83.37

I used Midwest Fluid Power out of Toledo, OH.

20Fan
Ohio State Buckeyes- GO BUCKS !
My Aluminum frame build
post #67 of 240 Old 12-02-2008, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterB123 View Post

Here is what I paid:
4 9220 2-way corners $2.60 each...............................$10.40
4 9230 3-way tees $2.60 each...................................$10.40
4 9000 44" lenghts of 1" square tube ($5.72 per ft)........$22.88
6 9000 30" lenghts of 1" square tube ($3.90 per ft)........$23.40
10 7310 cuts to square tube ($1.60 per cut)................$16.00

Total cost without shipping or tax...............................$83.08
Total weight 8.43 pounds

I went through Shepherd Controls here in Texas.

PeterB123, check your math, as mine came out to more like $1.48 per ft???????????? I think you figured each piece, and not per foot.

20Fan
My Aluminum frame build
post #68 of 240 Old 12-03-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:

PeterB123, check your math, as mine came out to more like $1.48 per ft???????????? I think you figured each piece, and not per foot.

Public education, what can I say. lol

Yes, you are correct.
post #69 of 240 Old 12-03-2008, 03:45 PM

This thread has removed almost all excuses I had for not doing a proper portable frame. A few more questions answered and I will be unable to procrastinate any longer.

My project: A smaller (80-90") semi-portable BO cloth screen. It travels to my gf's and will be setup/broken down each trip. PVC wouldn't have passed the WAF but this totally will. (sweet! )

A) With a much smaller screen size needed, would 1 vertical support in the middle be enough for rigidity? Or perhaps scrap vertical support and do one longish center support parallel to the horizontals (floor)? If I'm just being cheap call me out on it but at 80" or so 2 middle supports made me curious if it was overkill for mine.

B) If I bump up to DW laminate in the future, would the extra support then become necessary? If yes, then buy all now for the future project I suppose?

C) *TRICKIEST PART* It CANNOT hang on the wall on place against it either (thermostat in the way) It would need to be free standing 100%. Does that make the project a nightmare? Also, any cheaper alternatives to buying more metal and clips for legs? (seems those bars/ extra cuts and connectors could add up quick like making proper legs. When it was PVC it was a non factor (I've got droves of it free) Is it now or am I making issue of a non issue?

D) Any other thoughts/wisdom you guys could share? This is our first foray into true screendom and if it looks too ragged she may make it our last.

Thanks
Mike
post #70 of 240 Old 12-03-2008, 04:44 PM

Hey PeterB123,

do you have a contact email that you went through to help you order your quick frame? their office isn't too far from where i live so i'm hoping i can save on shipping costs and pick it up.

thanks
post #71 of 240 Old 12-04-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supapowa View Post

Hey PeterB123,

do you have a contact email that you went through to help you order your quick frame? their office isn't too far from where i live so i'm hoping i can save on shipping costs and pick it up.

thanks

Mike Evans [MEvans@shepherdcontrols.com]
post #72 of 240 Old 12-04-2008, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmpjmp View Post

This thread has removed almost all excuses I had for not doing a proper portable frame. A few more questions answered and I will be unable to procrastinate any longer.

My project: A smaller (80-90") semi-portable BO cloth screen. It travels to my gf's and will be setup/broken down each trip. PVC wouldn't have passed the WAF but this totally will. (sweet! )

A) With a much smaller screen size needed, would 1 vertical support in the middle be enough for rigidity? Or perhaps scrap vertical support and do one longish center support parallel to the horizontals (floor)? If I'm just being cheap call me out on it but at 80" or so 2 middle supports made me curious if it was overkill for mine.

B) If I bump up to DW laminate in the future, would the extra support then become necessary? If yes, then buy all now for the future project I suppose?

C) *TRICKIEST PART* It CANNOT hang on the wall on place against it either (thermostat in the way) It would need to be free standing 100%. Does that make the project a nightmare? Also, any cheaper alternatives to buying more metal and clips for legs? (seems those bars/ extra cuts and connectors could add up quick like making proper legs. When it was PVC it was a non factor (I've got droves of it free) Is it now or am I making issue of a non issue?

D) Any other thoughts/wisdom you guys could share? This is our first foray into true screendom and if it looks too ragged she may make it our last.

Thanks
Mike

Once I actually receive mine (hopefully today or tomorrow) and then get it set up, I can try to anwer a couple of your questions, but until I'm hands on, it would only be speculation from me.
post #73 of 240 Old 12-04-2008, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks
Mike

C) Did you see my hanging method from beginning of this thread?

20Fan
My Aluminum frame build
post #74 of 240 Old 12-04-2008, 10:28 PM

Just wanted to update you guys and let you know I finally figured out how to cut my d*mn laminate sheet! Now I can finally get my 80/20 frame put together and get this sucker hung on the wall! I'll post some pics when I'm done.

If anyone is interested, I put together a quick webpage that outlines the steps I took to cut laminate along with some photos:

http://tvsurl.com/how-to-cut-laminate.html

P.S. My 80/20 frame was $128 total. I guess they dinged me about $40 for shipping as the frame itself was only $90. Oh well...if I build another screen again I'll just go pick it up instead of having it sent to my house

Travis
post #75 of 240 Old 12-05-2008, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by supapowa View Post

Hey PeterB123,

thanks

Not sure about PeterB123's experience, but my local distributor is more like a drop shipper. I placed the order through them (Toledo, OH) but the actual shipment came from 80/20 somewhere in Illinois. So I would have had to pay for shipping either way, to my house or to MFP in Toledo (a 40 minute drive).

Can you comment on this PeterB123 ?

20Fan
My Aluminum frame build
post #76 of 240 Old 12-05-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:

C) Did you see my hanging method from beginning of this thread?

I did but it seems that still involves holes in the wall and/or ceiling. This is her first house and even though its old as dirt she's very protective of anything related to it. As this is way more more for me than for her, I'm going to guess she'd shoot any holes in wall notions down. Besides, the screen/setup is only there roughly every other weekend. The brackets/holes could be an eyesore when Im not around. (Im guessing that would be her reasoning)
post #77 of 240 Old 12-05-2008, 09:29 AM

Quote:

Once I actually receive mine (hopefully today or tomorrow) and then get it set up, I can try to anwer a couple of your questions, but until I'm hands on, it would only be speculation from me.

Thanks man. I appreciate the help. And I wish you the best of luck with your project!
post #78 of 240 Old 12-05-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:

I did but it seems that still involves holes in the wall and/or ceiling. This is her first house and even though its old as dirt she's very protective of anything related to it. As this is way more more for me than for her, I'm going to guess she'd shoot any holes in wall notions down. Besides, the screen/setup is only there roughly every other weekend. The brackets/holes could be an eyesore when Im not around. (Im guessing that would be her reasoning)

Thermostats are easy to move... they're ussualy just two very thin wires.

Or hang it from the ceiling. You just need two eye hooks, and the eyehooks could be very small. If you want to get fancy, recess a threaded hole in the ceiling of some sort and make the eyehooks removeable,.

Other then that, put the pants on or grow a pair?
post #79 of 240 Old 12-05-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protonus View Post

Thermostats are easy to move... they're ussualy just two very thin wires.

True but Im pretty sure that leaves a hole to patch. Better chance of her letting me install hanging cleat and repatch those holes than a thermostat hole.
Quote:

Or hang it from the ceiling. You just need two eye hooks, and the eyehooks could be very small. If you want to get fancy, recess a threaded hole in the ceiling of some sort and make the eyehooks removeable,.

Now this IS interesting. I must learn more of recessing and if it'll be hidden enough.

Quote:

Other then that, put the pants on or grow a pair?

Haha. You gotta pick your battles. She let's me get away with murder on a lot of other things so this isn't a big sacrifice for me. Plus its technically "her" house and the cost to me to make it "ours"is just to great for me simply getting to drill drywall when I please to overcome.
post #80 of 240 Old 12-05-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:

Not sure about PeterB123's experience, but my local distributor is more like a drop shipper. I placed the order through them (Toledo, OH) but the actual shipment came from 80/20 somewhere in Illinois. So I would have had to pay for shipping either way, to my house or to MFP in Toledo (a 40 minute drive).

Can you comment on this PeterB123 ?

Mine is a drop ship as well. And it still HASN'T arrived.
post #81 of 240 Old 12-05-2008, 02:14 PM

Quote:

If it's a single story house with an attic above that ceiling, have you thought about placing a pair of magnets up there and then connecting a pair of magnets to chains to hang the screen. Rare earth magnets wouldn't have a problem with the weight I wouldn't think.

Just trying to come up with an idea outside the box.
post #82 of 240 Old 12-05-2008, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:

Anyone reading this forum using a 1080P projector with their DW screen? If so, can you share your thoughts?

20fan;
DW laminate impressions, sweet!!
I just hung my DW 128" screen, this morning, WOW.
You will love it.

I did a quick calibration DVD, watched Blu-ray StarWars: The Clone Wars with my 2 young boys, put them to bed, then popped in Blu-ray Casino Royale.

Two screen shots, flash off, just cropped nothing else (my camera skills suck).
All I can say is the detail in the dark/black scenes is so there, the whites are bright and vibrant, the colors come across well like color.

post #83 of 240 Old 12-06-2008, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

My quickframe package actually was delivered in about 3 days, and before my card was even charged !

20Fan
My Aluminum frame build
post #84 of 240 Old 12-06-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:

Well I was hoping I could save some money from shipping but oh well
post #85 of 240 Old 12-07-2008, 06:20 PM

Well after a month I finally got my laminate screen up and my home theater is officially done. Here are screen shots of the Blu-Ray DVD, "Planet Earth." The projector is an Epson 1080ub and the laminate screen is 112" diagonal.

Thanks again 20Man for starting this thread. If it wasn't for you, I would have been painting my wall or buying a cheap pull down screen. Now I have a laminate screen that I couldn't be happier with!!

Travis
post #86 of 240 Old 12-08-2008, 11:47 AM

My 80/20 frame just arrived... Hurray!!!!

Any guesses as to what I'll be doing after work today?
post #87 of 240 Old 12-08-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:

Any guesses as to what I'll be doing after work today?

?
post #88 of 240 Old 12-08-2008, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvanslooten View Post

Well after a month I finally got my laminate screen up and my home theater is officially done. Here are screen shots of the Blu-Ray DVD, "Planet Earth." The projector is an Epson 1080ub and the laminate screen is 112" diagonal.

Thanks again 20Man for starting this thread. If it wasn't for you, I would have been painting my wall or buying a cheap pull down screen. Now I have a laminate screen that I couldn't be happier with!!

Travis

EXCELLENT ! I know it's a great feeling once the screen is completed and one can kick back and enjoy it.

Terry

20Fan
My Aluminum frame build
post #89 of 240 Old 12-09-2008, 05:54 AM

Quote:

?

ROFLMAO...

Well, I got the frame assembled (didn't realize how nice those 80/20 frames are) and mounted my DW using industrial velcro. I did manage to take a 1" x 1/2" chip out of the side, lol, but used tape on the back to put the broken piece back and once I use purchase and apply the velvet tape, nobody will be the wiser.

The good news was that I was patient enough to wait for a friend to come over to help me set the frame on the screen so that it was perfectly straight. I was so tempted to try to marry the two myself, but knew how difficult unvelcroing would be, so I waited. I didn't want to risk damaging it again or worse.

Once on the wall, it was nice an level and hung perfect.

I didn't take any photos because I was more interested in watching my first movie on it than searching for the camera. On top of that, I haven't had the chance to do fine adjusting on the colors, contrast and brightness and I'm a little self-concious about not having any velvet up to mask the overflow of light on the top and bottom. I'll take some photos tonight or tomorrow night and just crop them, lol.

I'm extremely satisfied with the finished product and so glad 20fan started this thread; otherwise, I would have built a wood frame that I probably wouldn't have been nearly as happy with.

My buddy who helped me hang the frame was blown away.

Now to save up for a 1080p projector.
post #90 of 240 Old 12-09-2008, 11:21 AM

Okay maybe someone can help a guy out who is a little fuzzy with math. I am looking to build a 100" diagonal screen. The viewable area will be 49" x 87". I am thinking of adding the 3" border all the way around which would make it 55" x 93". So when everyone is figuring out what length tubing they need are you adding in the length of the connectors as well? I am not in anyway mechanically inclined and I guess I am having a hard time grasping what I should add to the measurements to factor in the connectors. Anyone help me out on this? Thanks for creating this thread 20Fan, you are giving me hope that I might actually be able to make my own screen!
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page