My WA, DW, aluminum frame screen build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 240 Old 10-09-2008, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First off, here is the reason for my screen build

This is my previous and original screen. It is a Draper Luma 106" widescreen that was purchased packaged with my original projector, an Infocus SP4805. It is about 6 years old. I currently have an Infocus IN72, and built a Wilsonart Designer White screen with aluminum frame. I debated on what type of frame to build, weighing all the factors of wood vs aluminum. I came across a company called 80/20 and found the exact frame I was looking for. They call it a "Quick Frame".

I used 1" square aluminum tubing, which they cut to my specs, included all the connectors, and shipped in an undestructible box. No brackets, no drilling and went together in a snap !

The inside of the tubing has grooves in it, which helps with the fit of the connectors and holds it all together. Frame dimensions are 54" x 96".

20Fan
Ohio State Buckeyes- GO BUCKS !
My Aluminum frame build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 240 Old 10-09-2008, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

I used a 5' x 10' sheet of Wilsonart Designer White laminate for my basement room. Actual laminate was 61" x 121", which I used 61" x 102" for a 111" diaganol screen, with 3" borders.

Here are some shots of my room and screen wall.

1st a shot from my seating position, about 20 ft from the screen

Now a shot towards the back of the room and the prime seats

and one of the screen wall

Buster helps flatten the laminate

20Fan
My Aluminum frame build
post #3 of 240 Old 10-09-2008, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Here are the original home made mounting brackets that held up the old screen, and are used to hold the new screen as well.

I used industrial strength velcro to secure the laminate to the aluminum frame

3" Black velvet tape was used for the border, and C clamps are used on each side of the frame with small chains hooked to the brackets to hang the screen. 3" overhang of laminate past the frame for possible install of rope lighting in the future. That was an original thought, but I like it the way it is right now.

20Fan
My Aluminum frame build
post #4 of 240 Old 10-09-2008, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Then of course a screen build would not be complete without some screen shots. These were taken from my seat location without any zoom (except for Kellie Pickler), using a kodak 710z ( I think ) and a 3 way end table lamp on @ 50 watts. Infocus IN72 zoomed out to the max @ about 15 feet from the screen to fill screen. Screen size is awaiting a 1080p projector, hopefully next year !

This is a multi-purpose room, so it is not a "batcave" and it has white ceiling and partial walls with wainscoat using boards from a barn that was destroyed in a local tornado. Pictures do look futher away than they look from viewing location.

20Fan
My Aluminum frame build
post #5 of 240 Old 10-09-2008, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member

Hi 20fan,

Have seen 8020's products at 8020.net & wondered if a frame made out of their "Quick Frame" would be sturdy enough. I see you have two center supports, did you place the velcro on those supports as well (looks like it in the photos) ? How sturdy is the frame ? Guess the shorter lengths saved on freight, instead of having to ship full width tubing. Are the connectors smooth / level with the tubing surface & do not cause ridges in your screen surface ?

Thanks for sharing! Sorry to ask so many questions.

Guys, 8020 also makes all kinds of T-slot stock products, just like Bosch.

John
post #6 of 240 Old 10-10-2008, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGTX View Post

Hi 20fan,

Have seen 8020's products at 8020.net & wondered if a frame made out of their "Quick Frame" would be sturdy enough. I see you have two center supports, did you place the velcro on those supports as well (looks like it in the photos) ? How sturdy is the frame ? Guess the shorter lengths saved on freight, instead of having to ship full width tubing. Are the connectors smooth / level with the tubing surface & do not cause ridges in your screen surface ?

Thanks for sharing! Sorry to ask so many questions.

Guys, 8020 also makes all kinds of T-slot stock products, just like Bosch.

John

John,

Yes I did velcro the center supports. Velcro on entire frame surface. I spoke to a "local" distributor for 80/20, who is about 40 miles from me (you can find them through 80/20 website). Product ships from 80/20 and arrived in like 2 days. Total cost for the Quick frame, cut to my specs was $83.XX and about $16.00 freight. I tried to show in the pictures that the connectors are very smooth to the frame. No ridges or bumps, and once velcro is attached and frame was put to screen, it was just what I was looking for. Screen should last for years !

20Fan
My Aluminum frame build
post #7 of 240 Old 10-10-2008, 10:02 PM

Very nice!

I'm just trying to understand, so you attached DW to the whole frame and then used 3" black velvet on DW for the border? How did you attach the DW to frame? I'm looking to build my first 120" screen and this seem simple enough. I have a local distributer here in MN and maybe I'm going to give this a shot.

Edit: I see how now. Is that velcro on the DW and velcro on the frame? I though the frame was on the DW on the second picture.
post #8 of 240 Old 10-10-2008, 10:23 PM

Nicely done man, 80/20 is about half an hour away from me and I'm thinking about stopping up there to see what I can do for my screen when it comes time to make one. I have to have mine in the middle of the room because it'll be in front of a huge sliding glass door that I think I've opened about 3 times in four years, so I'm not going to miss being able to use it.
post #9 of 240 Old 10-11-2008, 09:27 AM

Good looking screen, good job. That frame is pretty cool with those connectors. Nice and easy huh? There is a huge metal shop down the street from me, they have aluminum tubing too. My guess is that it's pretty cheap too...hmm. For me it's time vs. money (spent well).
post #10 of 240 Old 10-11-2008, 10:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 213
...........one that a great many people could/can/will benefit from. It comes out to be about the same price (...a little less actually....) than wooden Canvas Stretcher Bars, and the representations of the Tubing showing the protruding edges means the BOC/SMX/Sheerweave folks have something else to consider, something with a built-on tension relief.

Once again, excellent find/work 20fan!!

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #11 of 240 Old 10-11-2008, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

I laid the assembled frame on the back of the laminate, traced it, and applied the loop side velcro to the laminate. Hook side applied to the frame, and just laid the frame onto the laminate. Then my wife and I "walked" our hands around the frame to mush the velcro together. The connectors used to assemble the frame were indeed very easy to use, This was one of the main reasons I chose this method of frame. The screen was then turned over and the 3" velvet tape was applied with the screen laying on the floor.

20Fan
My Aluminum frame build
post #12 of 240 Old 10-11-2008, 11:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20fan View Post

The screen was then turned over and the 3" velvet tape was applied with the screen laying on the floor.

That is another thing it would be helpful to, and appreciated as well if you were to relate more upon.

Brand of Tape/source

Is it actually "Black Velvet"?

A really decent Adhesive backed Black Velvet would be great to have access to.

...........at a decent price.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #13 of 240 Old 10-11-2008, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Here is a link to the tape : http://www.buildyourownprojectionscr...t_borders.html

Whatever anyone else thinks, this fit my personal plan and budget just right. It does have a tendency to stretch or pull slightly when tentioning it to get it flat and smooth. It is not real thick. I was able to pull it up for a few inches, to make corrections, when aligning it to the edge of the laminate.

20Fan
My Aluminum frame build
post #14 of 240 Old 10-11-2008, 02:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Well, such things would be expected. Simple doesn't mean "error free".

Funny how that website keeps popping into this DIY Forum. Previous Threads, and their introduced Links to it have been moved or deleted when the subject was centered around their selling Mfg.Screen material. That they list the BV Tape is as a "We had a "Black Velvet Tape" Mfg and made for and intended specifically for use as a Screen Trim" only helps to complicate things because in actuality, any such product serves to help the "less than proficient with tools" DIY'er wind up with something pretty darn nice.

In this instance, I ain't got the heart to complain.

It was/is still a good find 20fan.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #15 of 240 Old 10-11-2008, 02:54 PM

this may be just what I'm looking for. I like the idea of using tileboard with the velcro method black widowed. And you said about 100 bucks for the screen size you bought?
post #16 of 240 Old 10-11-2008, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Well, such things would be expected. Simple doesn't mean "error free".

Funny how that website keeps popping into this DIY Forum. Previous Threads, and their introduced Links to it have been moved or deleted when the subject was centered around their selling Mfg.Screen material. That they list the BV Tape is as a "We had a "Black Velvet Tape" Mfg and made for and intended specifically for use as a Screen Trim" only helps to complicate things because in actuality, any such product serves to help the "less than proficient with tools" DIY'er wind up with something pretty darn nice.

In this instance, I ain't got the heart to complain.

It was/is still a good find 20fan.

I guess I don't understand all the politics of why it would be an issue linking to that site, because it was indeed only the tape that I was interested in. Is it because they are not a sponsor of AVSforum? Just a guy looking for a way to create what I wanted in a screen, answer some questions, and share my experience with those who may be in the same position I was in. Nothing unethical intended here.

20Fan
My Aluminum frame build
post #17 of 240 Old 10-11-2008, 03:09 PM

20fan, I'm looking at the website and I would like a frame the exact same size as the one you had them build for you. Could you either post the sizes of the lengths of 1 inch tubing you had them cut in a pm or on here? Also, I'm guessing you used 4 90's and 4 T's. Is there a specific style of these links I should ask for when ordering? Thanks in advance
edit: actually, now that I'm thinking about it, I'm just being lazy. It would be easy enough for me to measure out.
post #18 of 240 Old 10-11-2008, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey > work View Post

20fan, I'm looking at the website and I would like a frame the exact same size as the one you had them build for you. Could you either post the sizes of the lengths of 1 inch tubing you had them cut in a pm or on here? Also, I'm guessing you used 4 90's and 4 T's. Is there a specific style of these links I should ask for when ordering? Thanks in advance
edit: actually, now that I'm thinking about it, I'm just being lazy. It would be easy enough for me to measure out.

whiskey > work, check your in box

20Fan
My Aluminum frame build
post #19 of 240 Old 10-11-2008, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks 20fan !
post #20 of 240 Old 10-11-2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:

whiskey > work, check your in box

that's exactly what I needed. Much props, will post regarding progress. I don't see why this won't work for me. Cheap, light, seems sturdy and is hangable. The kicker is the tileboard and whether or not it is too heavy, but I highly doubt it. I have my wagner all ready to go, now I can order my paint for the black widowing
post #21 of 240 Old 10-26-2008, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Hey,

This is a very good find. THANK YOU!!!

Just want to make sure I understand this...

You simply laid the frame on the screen and velcro between the frame and screen? Then you taped velcro over the screen sitting on the frame? Maybe some close ups please?

20fan can you please send me your material list and sources as well?

thanks!
post #22 of 240 Old 10-29-2008, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquafire View Post

Hey,

This is a very good find. THANK YOU!!!

Just want to make sure I understand this...

You simply laid the frame on the screen and velcro between the frame and screen? Then you taped velcro over the screen sitting on the frame? Maybe some close ups please?

20fan can you please send me your material list and sources as well?

thanks!

Sorry I've been away from the forum awhile. Yes, I laid the completed frame on the back of the laminate, traced it out, and applied the hook side of the velcro to the outline on the back of the laminate. I then velcroed the face of the frame with the loop side, and then with the help of my lovely assistant (my wife) laid the velcroed side of the frame onto the laminate and "mooshed" the two together. I then used the velvet tape as a border on the viewable side of the laminate. Will pm you the other info.

20Fan
My Aluminum frame build
post #23 of 240 Old 11-04-2008, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Great Post!

A quick question:

Any problems with the edges > the unsupported 3" of laminate overhang ?

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #24 of 240 Old 11-08-2008, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Great Post!

A quick question:

Any problems with the edges > the unsupported 3" of laminate overhang ?

None so far. Just be careful handling the completed screen. Any drop could damage the unsupported edge.

20Fan
My Aluminum frame build
post #25 of 240 Old 11-11-2008, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Will this work well for a BOC. I have a 110" wide 16x9 BOC that I want to mount on a frame.
post #26 of 240 Old 11-11-2008, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

Will this work well for a BOC. I have a 110" wide 16x9 BOC that I want to mount on a frame.

I can't speak from experience, since I have not used BOC. I did see somewhere on the forums a person who used BOC on a frame like mine, and used those heavy duty spring loaded clips ( located in the office supply area of STAPLES)

20Fan
My Aluminum frame build
post #27 of 240 Old 11-11-2008, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I can't speak from experience, since I have not used BOC. I did see somewhere on the forums a person who used BOC on a frame like mine, and used those heavy duty spring loaded clips ( located in the office supply area of STAPLES)

I found a local distributor for this product in Kansas City, Missouri and they quoted me about $93 for a 103x58 screen with two vertical support beams in the middle connected to the horizontal using T-junctions. I am wondering if I can wrap the BOC around the frame and either glue or velcro or even clip it like you said. My BOC has some wrinkles and I need to stretch it enough to remove the wrinkles.

This is actually more expensive than the wood I was going to use but it seems easier to put together.
post #28 of 240 Old 11-12-2008, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 64
First up a BIG thanks to 20fan for posting this idea, and to everyone for inputting to this thread.

I have had a roll of DW waiting for me to build a frame. After seeing this thread - I jumped on the Aluminum 80/20 idea.

Last week I ordered the 80/20 "kit" from a local distributor in the Chicago area. The cost came in at $154.00 (shipping extra) for a 104" x 60" frame. A bit higher than I expected but still far less than the value of my time in making sawdust.

Just got a call my frame is in and ready for pickup, 6 days from time of order - I'm happy!!

Hopefully I will have a finished product to post here by next Monday.

Thanks Again!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #29 of 240 Old 11-12-2008, 10:07 PM

20Fan:

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you for posting this. I have been running around in circles the past week trying to figure out how to build my own screen and frame (using WilsonArt as my material). I'm a complete idiot when it comes to handyman stuff like this so this is very helpful. However, I have some more total newbie/idiot questions for you...

1. Did you have to cut the laminate at all or was it "cut to size" for you? My understanding is that you have to order WilsonArt by the sheet (you can't have them custom cut). If you had to cut it, what did you use to cut it and any special tips I should be aware of when cutting it?

2. I'm assuming when you order the frame, you just give them the dimensions and they take care of everything for you or do I have to specify more than that (i.e. I need center supports, etc.)? I want a 52" x 92" actual viewing screen size (106") so are these the dimensions I should have the frame built?

3. Any reason you don't just have the laminate line up exactly with the frame - or shorten it so you only have an inch or so overlap of laminate without framing? Just curious why the frame is set 3" in from the edges of the laminate.

4. Where can you purchase "industrial" velcro?

5. This doesn't apply to you so you may not be able to answer it, but any ideas how a guy could mount this frame directly to the wall? I don't have the option to hang it from a ceiling. Can you drill brackets or hooks into these frames???

Thanks!

Travis
post #30 of 240 Old 11-14-2008, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

First up a BIG thanks to 20fan for posting this idea, and to everyone for inputting to this thread.

I have had a roll of DW waiting for me to build a frame. After seeing this thread - I jumped on the Aluminum 80/20 idea.

Last week I ordered the 80/20 "kit" from a local distributor in the Chicago area. The cost came in at $154.00 (shipping extra) for a 104" x 60" frame. A bit higher than I expected but still far less than the value of my time in making sawdust.

Just got a call my frame is in and ready for pickup, 6 days from time of order - I'm happy!!

Hopefully I will have a finished product to post here by next Monday.

Thanks Again!

Glad to share this method with everyone. I am very happy with my outcome, and glad others are finding this an option for them. Make sure you share your results and post lots of pics !

20Fan
My Aluminum frame build
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page