So I have made some changes to my first plan. Using a motto I always use at work while writing code, I've decided to K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) my plans. First, since I will have gravity helping, I have decided that the top masking system does not need the pulley system. I will use the PVC tube and gravity to deploy the top mask.
For the bottom masking system, I had some concerns about the rubber coated cable becoming brittle over time or not having enough "grip" on the PVC tube to move as I turned the PVC. So I replaced the cable with very cheap rubber tie-down straps. With the tie-down straps, I was not able to use the pulleys, so I needed something to route the straps. I used spare pieces of metal conduit and nails.
I drilled a home in the outer frame for the nail to slide in and out of (in case I need to take apart the system or replace something. To provide easy movement, the conduit slides over top of the nail.
Over the weekend I also began covering the trim peaces of the frame. I used cheap pieces of pine baseboard, an electric staple gun, and cheap velvet fabric bought at a local store. I cut all the trim pieces to size. I then began attaching the fabric to the back/inner side of the trim pieces.
I did not attach the fabric to the outer side of the trim, since I want to attach the trim to the outer frame using a nail gun first. That way when I finish wrapping the fabric around the trim and outer frame, the nails are covered by the fabric. More photos on that process when I reach that step.
I got an email today that my curtains are in at Wal-Mart so I will be picking those up tomorrow night on my way to volleyball. Goal for this weekend is to trim out the frame and hang the curtains.
Velvet: $19 (on sale)
Rubber tie-down straps: $6Running total: $173.43