DIY Screen Help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-12-2008, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
I just got my dad a BenQ MP512 ST for his basement. I want to make him a low end home theatre and my next step is making a screen...
It's a short throw and the image size is apparently 27.5 to 300 depending on distance. I would never have it more than 4-6 feet from the wall and was wondering how big I should build the screen? The wall I am working with is about 8 feet wide... I'm new to this and don't want to start building the screen without some opinions from you guys regarding the size...
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-12-2008, 04:49 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF777 View Post

Hello,
I just got my dad a BenQ MP512 ST for his basement. I want to make him a low end home theatre and my next step is making a screen...
It's a short throw and the image size is apparently 27.5 to 300 depending on distance. I would never have it more than 4-6 feet from the wall and was wondering how big I should build the screen? The wall I am working with is about 8 feet wide... I'm new to this and don't want to start building the screen without some opinions from you guys regarding the size...
Thanks!

How about throwing an image on the wall from where you would have the projector mounted. That way you can get a feel for what size would go well in your intended theater area. As for building a screen and frame, check out my frame build in my signature. It will give you at least 1 idea on a frame option.

20Fan
Ohio State Buckeyes- GO BUCKS !
My Aluminum frame build
post #3 of 4 Old 12-12-2008, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
What condition is the wall in?

The cheapest solution would be a painted screen. That requires the wall be clear of all obsticles such as outlets and vents. Even if your long term plan is to build a screen the wall can serve as a very good interim screen.
post #4 of 4 Old 12-12-2008, 09:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF777 View Post

Hello,
It's a short throw and the image size is apparently 27.5” to 300” depending on distance. I would never have it more than 4-6 feet from the wall and was wondering how big I should build the screen?

At 6' your screen size would be 60" x 80" (100" diagonal ) The 512 ST has no Zoom so if you place it closer, your image will be reduced accordingly. But as you know, it's a very bright PJ. Most likely you will run it on "Economy" (...if it possesses that option ) You should consider a medium Flat Gray Mix applied directly on the wall if you can prep the surface to a slippery smooth state. Look to this link/thread and consider using such a simple Gray mix w/Poly.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1092267

Quote:

The wall I am working with is about 8 feet wide... I'm new to this and don't want to start building the screen without some opinions from you guys regarding the size...
Thanks!

It sounds like your placing the Pj on a table....yes? If not, be advised that the 512 has considerable Image Offset, and so will have to be mounted close to the ceiling.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page