Calibration- Possibly the most important thing to read here or anywhere... - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 32 Old 02-10-2009, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Interesting thread to read.
Always learning here in avs discussions.

I first calibrated my DIY screen/PJ (Sony VPL-VW60) combo with this Monster Cable ISF Jenna Drey freebie I got from 2007 CES show.
Sure, quick and dirty but it probably got me 90-95% calibrated for free, better than just out of box.
My dad/brother in-law have borrowed that DVD to "calibrate" their HDTV's.

Recently I got the AVIA Blu-ray disc and went thru their procedure.
Hopefully I got the greyscale dialed, then used the filter over the eye for some basic color adj.
I'm just getting into gamma curves, reading up on that so I might post Q&A in the calibration sub-forum.
More here for my Screen calibration so far (Part of my "Study: Native 16:9 vs a-Lens/PJ Scaler" thread

What this thread made me realize is I calibrated basically just for movie watching, i.e., no lights on and the curtains closed to the HT room.
(Pict prior to carpeting/kitchenette being done)

I did not even consider having a 2nd calibration for some % lights on for the big sporting events, NCAA Final Four coming up April 4!
I'll have to do that, and even look at for that mode can I turn my Sony VPL-VW60 to high lamp mode to help offset some of the ambient light via IR/Harmony, and when in movie mode back to low lamp mode.

Another weekend tweaker task, thx guys for giving me homework.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 32 Old 02-10-2009, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Keep in mind that you also only calibrated for the blu-ray player, and not your HDTV tuner. They could be similar, but I would suggest watching some HD broadcasts with a very critical eye to make any needed adjustments. If you can, pause the picture, and make adjustments. That's the easiest way I've found.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Screen Section