Best screen paint? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-23-2009, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently bought a home with a huge, open, finished 28' x 38' basement with 9' ceilings. There is very minimal light entry with only a sliding glass door with blinds. I bought an Epson 6100 (1800 lumens, 18000:1 contrast ratio) projector and mapped out my screen to be a whopping 96" x 170", or nearly 200" diagonal. Obviously with a screen this size, I am limited with screen DIY screen choices and don't even want to entertain the idea of searching for (or paying for) an out of box screen of this size. I am lucky that the home is only 4 years old and the walls are in excellent shape, so I am most certainly sold on painting a screen on my wall. I have read plenty of threads on this site but it seems everyone has their own opinion as to what satisfied their particular need. However, I am a perfectionist and do not want to settle for something that is just okay. I always want the absolute best I can achieve. Based on my projector, screen size and lighting situation, what paint or paints would give me the best picture? Additionally, I don't understand how the paint codes work that many people posted in other threads, so please take me from step 1 forward. Thank you all in advance for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-23-2009, 10:26 PM

Hi rayians,

You are right, there are a lot of differing opinions here since everyone has their own experiences and preferences. In the end, what YOU consider the "best" screen will come down to personal preference as well, all we can do is share our experiences with you.

Here is my $0.02.
If you insist on having such a large screen you're not going to be able to go with a gray screen unless it is a very light gray, and my guess is that you would be best off with a white screen. This means for best image quality your theater should be as dark as possible when viewing. The darker the walls, floor and ceiling the better; the less light hitting the screen (expect the primary PJ beam) the better. The main problem with a white screen is that it doesn't take much secondary (or ambient) light striking the screen to make the image lose contrast.

Using the PJCentral calculator I'm only getting 8 foot lambert of illumination at the screen with your PJ and screen size; movie theaters try to get at least 16 fL. so even with a new lamp you are already at half the image brightness of a commercial theater and that lamp will dim with age.

No matter what paint or paint mix you end up going with you should prime your wall. Kilz2 is a favored primer, but for a few dollars more you can get Kilz Premium which is a brighter white. A wall painted with Kilz Premium will look almost as bright as one painted with one of the ultra white paints from Behr or Valspar.

The idea is to prime the wall/screen and then calibrate your PJ to it and watch some movies/TV on it for a while and note what you like and dislike about the quality of the projected image. Are the colors saturated enough? Are the black areas of the image black or just a dark gray?

After you know how a white screen performs for you, you are in a better position to know where to go from there; and so are those giving you advice.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-23-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayians View Post

I recently bought a home with a huge, open, finished 28' x 38' basement with 9' ceilings. There is very minimal light entry with only a sliding glass door with blinds. I bought an Epson 6100 (1800 lumens, 18000:1 contrast ratio) projector and mapped out my screen to be a whopping 96" x 170", or nearly 200" diagonal. Obviously with a screen this size, I am limited with screen DIY screen choices and don't even want to entertain the idea of searching for (or paying for) an out of box screen of this size. I am lucky that the home is only 4 years old and the walls are in excellent shape, so I am most certainly sold on painting a screen on my wall. I have read plenty of threads on this site but it seems everyone has their own opinion as to what satisfied their particular need. However, I am a perfectionist and do not want to settle for something that is just okay. I always want the absolute best I can achieve. Based on my projector, screen size and lighting situation, what paint or paints would give me the best picture? Additionally, I don't understand how the paint codes work that many people posted in other threads, so please take me from step 1 forward. Thank you all in advance for your help!

My suggestion would be to not even think about this size of screen with this PJ (its just not meant to handle these screen sizes). The max I would go is 135" D (that too with a screen of at least 1.3+). Painting a large high gain screen is not as straightforward as you would think (or at least as I once thought). Since you already have the PJ, have you tried that image size on the wall? Did you think it was bright enough in the best mode?
post #4 of 8 Old 05-24-2009, 02:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 212
"MY" suggestions differ widely, because I already have done larger screens with splendid results, using PJ with far less luminoisity that the 6100, and approx the same Contrast performance.

I don't need to hedge one tiny bit on giving advice in this instance, as prior "confirmed" experience and end results adaquately prove the wisom of such offerings. Most regulars on here are well aware of the 225" dagonal Screen done using a JVC RS-1 (...including Harp....) so why it would be stated that you need to consider sufficing for less size than you desre is beyond my reckoning.

S-I-L-V-E-R sprayed on a well prepped wall surface will easily do what you want.
Here's the Thread to reveiw.......
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...134&highlight=

Now accordingly, my figures show a fl level of 11 fls at a throw distance of 21.2 ' which is 1' shy of the minimum distace throw for a screen that size.

Just post up for additional instructions and help if this interests you.
...and the "proof positive" if indeed a picture can speak for itself. Ya know..."worth a thousand words" and all that.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #5 of 8 Old 05-24-2009, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayians View Post

Be sure to use short speakers!
post #6 of 8 Old 05-26-2009, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I use a computer matched fashion gray in eggshell....less then 10 bucks out the door for you.

tony4k
post #7 of 8 Old 06-22-2009, 11:28 AM

Hello all I run a lab so I have access to alot of equipment and took a few Microscope shots to see the difference between the 3 most popular paints here:

RSmaxxmudd
RSmaxxmudd with metalic gold added:
I actually changed the RSMM mix a bit by taking out the pearl and adding Metalic Pearl I also doubles the minwaxx well here is my mix:
This is the pic labled RS-Maxxmudd Varient Dale.

Delta Ceramcoat Metalic Gold 16 oz (sorry forgot to add this earlier)
Delta Ceramcoat Metallic Pearl 16 oz Make sure you get the Metallic there is pearl and metallic pearl
Delta Ceramcoat Metallic Silver2603 32 oz
Behr Ultra Pure White Flat Exterior: 32 oz
Behr Deep Base Flat Exterior: 32 oz
Minwax Polycrylic Satin Finish 32 oz
Distilled of Tap Water 12 oz

Silver Fire

I tried all 3 of these and prefered the RSmaxxmudd with metalic gold added while using an Epson powerlite home cinema 6100. I thought maybe you all would like to see the different appearances of the 3 main paints. Notice the mixture of gold in my fav it really brings out the true flesh tone while not interfearing with the other colors. I wish I had taken photos of the comparisons when I have them all on the wall but I did not think of it until after.
LL
LL
LL
post #8 of 8 Old 06-22-2009, 01:00 PM

Great microscope photos dkrispin! Thanks!
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page