AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Hi jambalyja,

You have my mouth watering.........

Welcome to AVS!

I can suggest at least two well known DIY paints for your purpose. They are specifically formulated for use on Clear Plastic/Glass, and get the job done for Rear projection.

Dependent upon your PJ choice, and the size of the window/screen, and the light content "behind & in front" of the screen, you can opt for maximum gain, or Gain w/ contrast enhancement....or Unity Gain w/considerable Ambient Light viewing ability. The latter would be ideal for any location where fairly intense ambient/direct lighting is present. Any "Window Screen" that presents an image to a outside environ in Daylight conditions should be designed around maximum Contrast w/minimal loss of luminosity/Gain. It's a 'way cool" application....the bigger the better...and a incredible magnet for attracting attention because if the image is presented in HD...and looks it's best even in high outdoor light....people will be pulled to it expecting the display to be a $100k+ JumboTron affair.

I love an "Art-teest" ! I know that such people brook no compromise in creating something to the best of their abilities.

Best thing to know....you'll have to have an absolutely ENORMOUS window/screen size in mind to run into issues over luminosity and detail using the suggested mixes.

Also cool.......your image on both sides will be equally stellar in it's presentation.

I'll need to know specifics such as PJ placement/distance - is there any "Blackout booth" between the Window/PJ or is it "open" -type/specs of PJ-
...and most imprtantly...you can/will spray this project yes...no....hopefully?

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 4 Old 06-10-2009, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
mm is correct...

i've worked with several people from cali with respect to rear-projection screens... the real key is in the substrate to use and and a modified silver fire mix.

while it helps to have a box cave to shoot the pj from... it is certainly not necessary.

what is necessary though... is that it must be sprayed with multiple EVEN duster coats. it can not be rolled. period.

honestly, this is one of the more interesting DIY projects i've seen... so i'll lend a helping ear and any tips i can.
post #4 of 4 Old 06-10-2009, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Don't mean to hijack, but this has my interest as well..... I've 'always' used commercial rp screens, never done a DIY rp before.

How does the 'magic' rear projection silver fire mix compare with a typical fresnel-lenticular 2.8-4.0 screen, or even a da-lite 1.3-1.8 rp?

I have a couple old clarity 38's with 4.0 gain screens, and I've verified I can focus up to about 100", however... the closest to clarities single element fresnel-lenticular, was a double element fresnel-lenticular that I got for free from a dead sony crt rp.

So, I've got the makings of a good test platform for rp. Assuming 700 lumens, less than 100" image diagonal, total black out behind the screen, moderate ambient in front -- what's the formula?
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page