Please Look Over My Plan for a DIY Screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-04-2009, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I am planning on building a 92" screen for my Infocus X9. I was Planning on building a wooden frame and stretching this material over it. I was then gonna Primer the screen with Kilz2 and Paint over it with some black widow Paint I am going to mix using this and this. After doing that I was going to put this felt tape around the edge of the screen. How does this look? Is there anything I could do better/cheaper? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-04-2009, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's an option to consider. You could paint a piece of 1/8th inch hardboard instead of using fabric. As for the choice of paint, you could also consider a very dark neutral gray. The X9s lumen output is stronger than most, and can make good use of a darker screen. I posted a formula for such a mix in the X9 thread a few days ago.

From Home Depot.. Behr 1850. Formula is for a quart.
149 Lamp Black
33 Brown Oxide
14 Medium yellow
post #3 of 9 Old 07-04-2009, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

I like the Idea of using cardboard I might do that. I still think I am gonna stick with the black widow and might just use a darker shade of grey.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-04-2009, 11:03 PM

Hi Yguy,

First off, kbgl suggested using HARDboard, not CARDboard for a screen material. Just thought I should point that out. I would suggest this material for a screen as well unless there are other reasons you want a fabric screen. Most places that sell the 4x8 foot sheets of tempered hardboard will also cut them to size for you either free or for a buck or two (usually it's free).

I know nothing about the screen material you mention, but I do know it is easier to paint a solid substrate than stretched fabric if you are thinking about rolling the paint on.

That felt tape looks interesting!

The links you gave for the paints are both correct, but be SURE to have the Valspar Ultra Premium Enamel tinted to match PPG Bermuda Beige #427-2 or the mix won't be a neutral gray.

Also, you only need 8 fl.oz. of AAA-F to add to a quart of latex paint to make BW, your link is for a purchase of 16 fl.oz.. If you intend on trying to darken Black Widow to make an even darker screen, don't do so by simply adding more AAA-F; while the mix will get darker it will also move away from being neutral in color.

You didn't say what the ambient light conditions are in your home theater. You certainly have a lot of Lumens to combat quite a bit of ambient light. The PJC Calc is showing 70 fL. with your PJ and screen size. A BW screen performs great with even less than 1/4 of that much light which leaves you a lot of room for lamp-aging, using econo mode etc..

With the brighter PJ's in use these days, it seems it is time to come up with a darker BW!

Kbgl is correct that you might well be served with simply a dark neutral gray paint, and to save some $$$ you might want to go that route. What BW does is produce a physically darker screen (about N7.5) that performs under projection like it was a lighter shade of gray (about N8.2).

In case you haven't read about Munsell N values yet, Pure White is N10 (reflects 100%) and Pure Black is N0 (reflects 0%). N5 only reflects 18% of the light that strikes it (this is the color of the Kodak Gray Card used in photography).
post #5 of 9 Old 07-05-2009, 08:34 AM

Another approach is the one I used for my X10, 3/8 inch sheetrock over a 1x4 frame. Then primed with Kilz and painted with a grey just a tad lighter but one which kbgl had suggested to me in another thread.(124 black,28 brown oxide,12 medium yellow)
post #6 of 9 Old 07-05-2009, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry for my naiveness, I was pretty tired when I posted last night. I like your idea of putting the sheetrock over the wood frame and I think I am going to go for the gray you suggested instead of bw it just sounds a lot easier and cheaper and like you said with the brightness of the x9 I probably won't need that reflective aluminum in there. I also think I am going to use hardwood for a black border. Thanks for your guys help. If there is anything else anyone would like to add I am definitely taking suggestions. I am going away for a month pretty soon and won't have the time to construct the screen between now and then.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-05-2009, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yguy View Post

Sorry for my naiveness, I was pretty tired when I posted last night. I like your idea of putting the sheetrock over the wood frame and I think I am going to go for the gray you suggested instead of bw it just sounds a lot easier and cheaper and like you said with the brightness of the x9 I probably won't need that reflective aluminum in there. I also think I am going to use hardwood for a black border. Thanks for your guys help. If there is anything else anyone would like to add I am definitely taking suggestions. I am going away for a month pretty soon and won't have the time to construct the screen between now and then.

As an experiment, I just painted a screen with an even darker gray than the formula above. It's drying now. I was hoping to determine a mix that would work well with close to a wide open iris setting on my X10. That should be comparable to the X9s output.

Edit.... The darker shade is too dark. The X10 looked good with the iris at 100, but it will eventually be too dim to use with low lamp mode!

By the way, what is your room like?
post #8 of 9 Old 07-06-2009, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

My room is an office in my basement we are converting into a home theater. It has wood paneling on one side and a set of windows on the other (which I of course plan to blackout.) The sealing is open and showing a bunch of silver insulation. (should I be worried about the insulation reflecting light?) the whole room is a pretty closed off space and I am pretty sure I should be able to get it completely dark. Dimensions of it are 15 ft. by 10.5 ft. I was also wondering which of the two mixtures (124 black,28 brown oxide,12 medium yellow or 149 Lamp Black, 33 Brown Oxide, 14 Medium yellow) would be the better choice. Finally my dad seems to think that we could just take a sheet of Plywood and paint over that with the mixture is there any reason why this would be worse or better than creating a frame and then putting sheetrock on top of that?
post #9 of 9 Old 07-06-2009, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yguy View Post

My room is an office in my basement we are converting into a home theater. It has wood paneling on one side and a set of windows on the other (which I of course plan to blackout.) The sealing is open and showing a bunch of silver insulation. (should I be worried about the insulation reflecting light?) the whole room is a pretty closed off space and I am pretty sure I should be able to get it completely dark. Dimensions of it are 15 ft. by 10.5 ft. I was also wondering which of the two mixtures (124 black,28 brown oxide,12 medium yellow or 149 Lamp Black, 33 Brown Oxide, 14 Medium yellow) would be the better choice. Finally my dad seems to think that we could just take a sheet of Plywood and paint over that with the mixture is there any reason why this would be worse or better than creating a frame and then putting sheetrock on top of that?

Hardboard or sheetrock are much smoother than a piece of plywood, and would be much better for that reason. My screen is 1/8th inch hardboard with no frame or borders. It's cheap ($12), light weight, and I hang it on two small nails.

Any of the paints recommended should work fine. The worst that might happen is that the picture could be brighter than you want it. That's why I recommended a dark gray. You can of course reduce the brightness and contrast controls some if needed.

You may have a dark room, but when you fire up the projector, light from the screen is going to light up the room a bit.
Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page