AVS Forum banner

Screen for Panasonic ax200u

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  MississippiMan 
#1 ·
I'm using behr silverscreen and looking for something better. I have some ambient light coming into the family room. Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
I personally love that PJ's potential.

SS is a very neutral and easily utilized Paint, but given it's limitations as to the depth of the shade you can use to combat ambient light, it will fall short of giving you optimal performance.

A bit of important info is missing from your Post.
  • Screen Size
  • Throw Distance
  • Ceiling & Wall Colors

The more ambient light you have, the brighter your room's surfaces are, and the bigger your screen, the more darker a shade of Gray you'll need...but also the more gain you can retain as well.

That means by my reckoning Silver Fire 2.0 in the least.

But.....there is the added requirement of knowing your substrate.

Is it a Wall? A Sheet of something? Are you planning to start completely over, or simply re-prime & repaint?

Your detailed answers will supply me (...and a few others...) with enough to make firm suggestions and reccomendations.

Hey! I know who you are! After Posting the reply above it dawned on me (...hit me in the head actually....) who was making that inquiry.

Sorry I haven't answered your PM. Traveling has kept me busy, but since I have been posting up when I could / can, I'm remiss for letting your PM slide. That's something I'm seldom guilty of.

You saw how much ambient light AND directed light was hitting Calbears 225" screen with only 700 lumens to play with. If your Screen is a lot smaller (most likely is, eh?) you can easily use S-I-L-V-E-R with the 200 on "Low Lamp Mode" as long as the ambient light is just that...ambient, not directed. S-I-L-V-E-R is a very easy mix to make up...the ingrediants are always at hand...the Behr Faux Glaze @ Home Depot and the Delta Silver Metallic @ Michael's Arts & Crafts. Answering your other PM'd question; a Duster coat is one that is applied from 14" away from the surface to be painted, and at a speed across the surface of at least 2' per second with a 60% minimum overlap of each row. Because your moving so fast and the distance the paint is traveling to reach the surface, the coating is extremely light...almost a "Dust" so you have to apply at least 7-8 coats to get the same amount you would get in 3 much heavier coats of a thicker paint. (ie: 12" away & 1' per second....w/same overlap) S-I-L-V-E-R properly mixed is almost "water thin" so you have to move fast and apply it very lightly.

#3 ·
MississippiMan,

I'm looking at something that I can roll. I'm using the wall with 110' screen. I'm looking at tiddler, DIY custom gray tints for Behr UPW paint. But I need help in deciding with gary will work for my room. By the way how's Australia.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil /forum/post/16832095

MississippiMan,

I'm looking at something that I can roll. I'm using the wall with 110' screen. I'm looking at tiddler, DIY custom gray tints for Behr UPW paint. But I need help in deciding with gary will work for my room. By the way how's Australia.

Just Fine Mate. No Worries.

Consider ramping up your effort by going with MMud-SE

It's based on Behr Products, & Minwax Satin Poly...except I changed the discontinued Behr Silver Metallic to the Delta variety. It's cheap to assemble, easily rollable (...it was initally intended for that purpose anyway...) and the metallic content makes the performance superior to a non-reflective Neutral Gray.

You could always start out with a N8.0 Neutral Gray, add the Silver Metallic and Poly, a smidgin of Champagne Metallic Gold, some water...and roll you way into something quite spectacular.

Let me know if you want to go that route. I think you'll be more satisfied doing so.

#6 ·
I have an AX200U in a room with light walls and white dropped ceiling. I painted a 110" Black Widow screen on a wall and love it. It's amazing how bright I can have the lights on in the room without washing out the screen. All except the darkest scenes look great with lights on. With the row of lights nearest the screen dimmed out, I can have the rest of the room dimmed about 25% down and get a fine image.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.