post #61 of 84 Old 04-23-2010, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Bump for In2Photos.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 84 Old 05-03-2010, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

bump for artinaz.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #63 of 84 Old 06-23-2010, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great thread. I just ordered the Protostar material. I looked at the triple black velvet but it looked like it would be difficult to apply I didn't really have a place in the house I could spray the glue without it getting all over the place and I didn't want to deal with doing it outside. The Protostar only cost me an additional $25 over what the triple black velvet plus glue would have cost me. It seems like this material is supposed to be a little more difficult to apply. Are there any pointers you could give me before I start my project? I know this is a one and done thing and if I mess up I would be stuck having to buy the material all over again.
post #64 of 84 Old 06-23-2010, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Though I did decide to have someone lay down the Protostar for me, when I was working with it on my own, the only thing I ended up putting on my "must do" list was to make sure I laid it straight so that I had even amounts to fold over the backside on the top and bottom.

Assuming you are right handed, you can lay out the full length of the material (with the adhesive backing paper cover still on) down the panel and then get your right hand on the underside, removing the backing as you go with the right hand, and smooth it flat with the left hand. I wouldn't suggest peeling a long section off and trying to lay it down, but peel it in small sections as you go, which keeps your hands as close together as possible. It gets a little akward if you peel a long section off and your right arm is down yonder while you're trying to smooth with your left. Also, trying to pull up a couple of inches if need be would be a lot easier than a longer section.

As well, you might consider something in your left hand to smooth as you lay as opposed to just your hand. Most importantly, take some of the material and work with it on a mock-up before going for it on the final panels. That will give you a good feel for it.

See ya. Dave

post #65 of 84 Old 06-23-2010, 07:58 AM

Thanks Jive. Good idea on doing a mock-up. Can't wait to get this done since the black bars are starting to drive me crazy (although when I told my wife what I was doing she just shook her head and thought I was crazy).
post #66 of 84 Old 06-23-2010, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patgilm View Post

Thanks Jive. Good idea on doing a mock-up. Can't wait to get this done since the black bars are starting to drive me crazy (although when I told my wife what I was doing she just shook her head and thought I was crazy).

So did mine....until she watched her first movie with them in place. She was surprised how all that futzing around turned out to be quite the enhancement to her viewing pleasure.

And then I got to say the magic words; "I told you so".

See ya. Dave

post #67 of 84 Old 06-23-2010, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post

And then I got to say the magic words; "I told you so".

NO NO NO! You have to make them say "You were right!" It is sooo much better!
post #68 of 84 Old 06-29-2010, 06:36 AM

Hey Jive,

Since my screen is 120", I bought some vinyl J channel at Lowe's to hold the two pieces of insulation together. Should I use one on the top and bottom of each mask or just the top of the bottom mask and the bottom of the top mask so that there is only an even line where the picture is projected on? Also, should I be gluing the two pieces of insulation together or just rely on the J channel to hold them together? Hopefully my Protostar material comes in before the weekend so I can get to work.
post #69 of 84 Old 06-29-2010, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey Jive,

Since my screen is 120", I bought some vinyl J channel at Lowe's to hold the two pieces of insulation together. Should I use one on the top and bottom of each mask or just the top of the bottom mask and the bottom of the top mask so that there is only an even line where the picture is projected on? Also, should I be gluing the two pieces of insulation together or just rely on the J channel to hold them together? Hopefully my Protostar material comes in before the weekend so I can get to work.

I haven't tried the vinyl J channel, but I suspect the aluminum would make for a much stiffer panel. I would definitely go with channel on the top and bottom of both panels for strength, plus you get a good edge to wrap the Protostar around to the backside. Also, I recommend J channel on both ends of the panels as well. I used clear packaging tape on the seam where the two sections come together on each panel, as well on the backside I put a number of tape sections from the J channel edge to the panel, just to further lock things in place before covering.

See ya. Dave

post #70 of 84 Old 07-27-2010, 07:30 PM

Jive,

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. I finally finished my masking system and although it is not as ingenious as yours or compared to what many here have done, I love it and it was very easy to do although there was a good bit of trial and error involved. The Protostar material was actually very easy to use and I did it without any help although the first panel was not as nicely done as the second panel. The Protostar also matches the border of my screen perfectly. I also showed my wife the before and after look and she now appreciates it a little bit. I took some pics and will post them when I have a chance and also when I can figure out how to do it.
post #71 of 84 Old 07-28-2010, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jive,

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. I finally finished my masking system and although it is not as ingenious as yours or compared to what many here have done, I love it and it was very easy to do although there was a good bit of trial and error involved. The Protostar material was actually very easy to use and I did it without any help although the first panel was not as nicely done as the second panel. The Protostar also matches the border of my screen perfectly. I also showed my wife the before and after look and she now appreciates it a little bit. I took some pics and will post them when I have a chance and also when I can figure out how to do it.

You are welcome. I'm happy to have helped!

Just noticed you live in Maryland. I was born and raised in Laurel, though I've been in California since I got out of High School.

See ya. Dave

post #72 of 84 Old 08-31-2010, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bump for Bizill.

See ya. Dave

post #73 of 84 Old 08-31-2010, 09:05 AM

Just noticed this thread and saw Protostar being mentioned. So who is the Astronomer in the group

I'm familiar with the product because I have used it on my telescopes. I knew long ago that it would be the product I would be using for masks and DIY screen border when I finally got around to building my screen. Don't think I ever thought to mention it here though but would have mentioned it when I started a DIY screen thread. Seems I've been beaten to the punch by another Cloudynighter/AVSer !
post #74 of 84 Old 08-31-2010, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

you jive turkey, i'm gonna have to wait to view this thread when i get home. too many pics linked for me to follow with my cell phone..
post #75 of 84 Old 08-31-2010, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

now that i'm on my home computer, yes, i've read through this thread on numerous occasions. i think i want to keep it simpler than this. thanks for the advice.
post #76 of 84 Old 10-25-2010, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm currently experimenting with an adjustable aluminum painters pole and wash/wipe squegee head (which has a trough between the two sides that the panel bottom sits into nicely) to lift the panels at center, and then tighten off the two sides. That saves the jockeying of the two sides, though that really isn't an inconveniece. I just get a little bored and my mind starts wandering.

Works great on the top panel. The bottom I haven't figured out yet, as it's low to the ground and I'd need an extension pole that works from 16-24". I found one at the paint store, but it's not a twist pole that adjusts continually. It has preset slots, which negates it's use for various aspect ratios. I don't have much space behind the center channel speaker to work with angleing the poles.

See ya. Dave

post #77 of 84 Old 11-17-2010, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Abandoning the panel lifter idea. Doesn't seem to make things much easier or quicker and I still couldn't figure out how to do the bottom. The panels and tension bar setup is still simple enough to set that chucking this new fangled idea is no biggie.

At this point, other than motorized, the only thing that would make it a bit easier would be if I didn't have that 1/4" bow in the picture at center, both top and bottom. That's a product of the wall the screen is attached to and I can't get away from it with projector positioning. Anyone who has a straight top and bottom to the image will set these panels in a minute each, tops. In my case it's maybe two minutes each, due to the small image bow. But nothing takes care of that bow, which most people wouldn't even notice, like masking.

See ya. Dave

post #78 of 84 Old 05-04-2011, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bump for drewh01.

See ya. Dave

post #79 of 84 Old 05-05-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post

Bump for drewh01.

Thanks! I like it.
post #80 of 84 Old 05-05-2011, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewh01 View Post

Thanks! I like it.

You are welcome. I notice your ceiling might be higher than standard 8', so if you were to locate the same tension bars I did, you might need to do a 90 degree angle bracket of some nature to catch the top of the tension rod behind the top of your curtains. It could happen!

See ya. Dave

post #81 of 84 Old 02-09-2012, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bump of ADDupstate.

See ya. Dave

post #82 of 84 Old 09-23-2013, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wow...almost 20,600 views! I hope this thread has been of help to a few. I still use the same manual masking system and it works perfectly every time. Would I like a motorized Masquerade system? Of course, but that kind of money I'd rather invest elsewhere in my music and movie systems at this time. DIY motorized is not in my time schedule any time soon either.

I've since sold the Dunlavy center speaker and moved the SC-IVA's to my music system only. I've replaced the Home Theater front array with KEF Q-900's and Q-200c center channel.

See ya. Dave

post #83 of 84 Old 09-23-2013, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Hy Jive, very cool system, but have you ever gotten around to painting behind your screen in some dark, flat color? There is a lot of white behind those curtains.
post #84 of 84 Old 09-24-2013, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks!

The white is the screen. The entire front wall (including behind the screen) and soffit are painted in a dark, flat grey. One of these days I may do the soffit above in Protostar, but it's on a long list of things to do "some day" wink.gif

See ya. Dave

Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page