Looking for a great DIY Screen to go with a Great Projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-25-2009, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got a new Epson PowerLight Home Cinema 720. I really like it and have so far been pointing it on a slightly off white wall. I am fairly happy with this but would really like a screen to make things look better and more professional.

I was thinking of buying a pull down screen that I would leave puled down but after reading about the laminate screens like the do-able I thought I would take MississipiMan's advise and start a new thread.
  • This screen will be used in my front room and will have moderate amounts of ambient light. I plane to have curtains put in at some point but for now the left side of the room has some light leaks during the day.
  • The walls and ceiling are a flat light cream color. A little on the yellow side but basically white.
  • I sit about 12-13 ft from the front wall where the screen will be projected.
  • I will mostly be watching movies and playing video games.
  • The room is 11ft wide 16ft long. The projector is at the back of the 16ft room behind my viewing area.
  • Right now the image is 98x48 and I'd like to keep the screen at 100"
  • I am pretty poor but I am also being an apartment dweller terrible at do it yourself projects. It would have to be dead simple like mounting a board to a wall or I probably wouldn't be able to do it. I think painting on the wall would not be great as well. My land lord would kill me and I would like to be able to take the screen with me when I go.

I guess I wouldn't mind buying a pull-down screen if a decent one could be had for $300 bucks or less.

Thanks for your time.
--StevenKW
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-25-2009, 06:07 PM

Liked: 11
If you wanna save some cash you can do a do-able or a wilson art designer white screen. Both get rave reviews from the other DIYers.

Sad that this is the third post in a row that i've mentioned htdepot.com, but their prices are too good to NOT tell people about the site. They've got electric screens that will fit in your $300 budget.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-26-2009, 06:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by reikoshea View Post

If you wanna save some cash you can do a do-able or a wilson art designer white screen. Both get rave reviews from the other DIYers.

Sad that this is the third post in a row that i've mentioned htdepot.com, but their prices are too good to NOT tell people about the site. They've got electric screens that will fit in your $300 budget.

Well, your first posts were on Screens, and that's an appropriate place. "DIY SCREENS" does not entail purchasing Mfg screens and simply using then "as is", so in this case the effort is misdirected and a inappropriate suggestion.

In your favor? I've used Focupix myself. Great value. But only when necessity dictated I had to make a compromise from the quality a superb DIY "Fixed Screen" provides. Or if I planned to spray on a better finish on a Retractable from the start. been there...done that...and using Focupix.

Under that circumstance it becomes acceptable as being a "DIY" Screen project, because in most everyone's thinking on this Forum, no budget screen surface can measure up to some of out least complex examples let alone the advanced applications.

OP..........you can cop onto a 48" x 85" diagonal Thrifty White Hardboard Sheet and roll on a neutral Gray w/Poly and be gloriously happy with a DIY Screen costing far under $100, even when complimented w/Black Velvet Trim

Say for............$60.00.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #4 of 8 Old 08-26-2009, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I will try a rolling on a screen first since I am sure I would screw up cutting wood or aluminum.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-29-2009, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

i don't want to jack this thread. but why not paint the wall ? when you move, just paint over it. simply fix.

chasing rattles ......

Pro8100 Cult member
post #6 of 8 Old 08-29-2009, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

This is a serious option. My only thought is to have something I can move. Either to the other end of the room or to another apartment.

If I paint the wall do I paint the whole wall? Do I paint a screen sized portion? Do I frame the portion I paint?

I am looking into making a cheap wooden frame then mounting cloth to it, then painting it. Something that is cheap, light and movable...

So many options right now my head is swimming.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-29-2009, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

i am weighting options for my screen. a fixed diy. i am thinking about a piece of 1/4" drywall, cut to size. properly supported. properly covered.

built correctly, its movable. move it to another home, nope. junk it, and build a better one at the new location.

YMMV.

chasing rattles ......

Pro8100 Cult member
post #8 of 8 Old 08-29-2009, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
heres what i did - mdf with laminate over it and some trim wrapped in velvet. tokke me an easy weekend, you could easily do it in a few hours hionestly. the amount it time it takes simply depends on how long it takes the adhesive to dry.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1071006

im more then pleased with it. I have some screen shots here, post # 15
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post17068293

Xbox360 / PS3 / Failed HDM Supporter
I have no idea what you are referring to
Gamertag: antwon412
(A/V)Ignorance is Bliss -------- sweet, cheap bliss
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page