post #91 of 185 Old 01-23-2010, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarablue View Post

So right now what is the best fabric combination for the most vibrancy/pop? Also is this farbric better then using blackout cloth? I guess it's not possible to get anything taller then 60 inches? This seems like the best way to get a very large average quality screen for cheap.

Any sku#'s for the material?

Thanks so much !

Right now, I don't have a fabric combination on my upstairs roll down screen - it is just the silver fabric from spandexworld, as shown in the images above. I am not sure how much putting white behind it would brighten it up because it is so thick compared to the Joann fabrics mirage grey.

I don't know how it compares to BO cloth. One of the main reasons for using this material is that I wanted a gray (silver) screen without painting, since painting is so messy and I am not very good at it, plus with the retractable screen, I was having difficulties finding a material that did not produce V-shaped waves in the screen. The stretch material solves that problem (although it introduces another slight problem in that there are a few little bumps in the material that don't get pulled out completely (as shown in my photos above). If I had some form of horizontal tension, these would probably mostly disappear as well - although these little bumps are nowhere to be seen once an image is up on the screen.

Registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Attorney
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 185 Old 01-23-2010, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Steve,

I was thinking you could introduce some side tension by stretching the bottom of the screen on the bar. I would try to make it adjustable so the tension could be adjusted to some optimum amount.

This would of course produce a screen that was wider at the bottom than it is at the top. That could actually work to your advantage. If you were to fold over the sides of the screen and sew them with a stretch stitch, that might help induce some side tension. The folded over part would roll up as a spiral on the top tube so it should still roll up ok.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
post #93 of 185 Old 01-24-2010, 04:05 PM

Liked: 12
Just a quick thanks to all of the DIYers and Steve in particular for bringing the spandexworld fabric to my attention!...Long story short is that I just built a new grey spandexworld screen to go along with my new 16:9 native projector!

This setup is much better than my old X1 and silver PVC screen (which was great 5 years ago) and in the spirit of "paying back" I would like to offer some samples of this heavy spandex for others to test in their own environments..."pay it forward" if you will.

I intend to cut samples (I have roughly a 2' x 5' piece left) in either a quantity of 2 - 2' x 2.5', or a quantity of 5 - 1' x 2' to share with others. Send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll cut this into either 2 or 5 samples depending on the response (if the response is more than 5 people, I ask that the first 5 share with other interested parties).

PMs only please so as not to clog up the thread...

post #94 of 185 Old 01-25-2010, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenCrank View Post

Just a quick thanks to all of the DIYers and Steve in particular for bringing the spandexworld fabric to my attention!...Long story short is that I just built a new grey spandexworld screen to go along with my new 16:9 native projector!

This setup is much better than my old X1 and silver PVC screen (which was great 5 years ago) and in the spirit of "paying back" I would like to offer some samples of this heavy spandex for others to test in their own environments..."pay it forward" if you will.

I intend to cut samples (I have roughly a 2' x 5' piece left) in either a quantity of 2 - 2' x 2.5', or a quantity of 5 - 1' x 2' to share with others. Send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll cut this into either 2 or 5 samples depending on the response (if the response is more than 5 people, I ask that the first 5 share with other interested parties).

PMs only please so as not to clog up the thread...

Awesome - glad it worked out. Just curious: Did you make a fixed frame or retractable? Can you post some photos of the screen?

post #95 of 185 Old 01-26-2010, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Scherrer View Post

Awesome - glad it worked out. Just curious: Did you make a fixed frame or retractable? Can you post some photos of the screen?

Fixed frame 16:9 and I will be making lightweight masks to pop into the frame shortly.
I'll try to take some pictures this weekend...

post #96 of 185 Old 01-27-2010, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Tagging for viewing at a later date as this will be the route I'm taking .

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread

Blue

See My AVS Classified Ad .
post #97 of 185 Old 01-28-2010, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is there any major reasons why not to many members use sintra pvc. I just bought a sheet to pair with my panasonic ae4000. The screen is light gray and looks great with no hot spotting. It also looks great with the lights on in my man cave. Best of all...it costed me less the 40 bucks for a 4x8 screen. You can also buy it in larger sheets.

tony4k
post #98 of 185 Old 01-28-2010, 07:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbase1 View Post

Is there any major reasons why not to many members use sintra pvc. I just bought a sheet to pair with my panasonic ae4000. The screen is light gray and looks great with no hot spotting. It also looks great with the lights on in my man cave. Best of all...it costed me less the 40 bucks for a 4x8 screen. You can also buy it in larger sheets.

That's just a teensy weensi bit OT on this thread.

You should author a thread about the Sintra and give your opinions and findings, let others ask questions, and you can show off your results using Screenies in that dedicated venue.

And then............no one better come on there and talk about using overstretched Ballet Tights to watch the 5th Element on!!! No SIR!!!

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #99 of 185 Old 01-29-2010, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

And then............no one better come on there and talk about using overstretched Ballet Tights to watch the 5th Element on!!! No SIR!!!

Ha! You should have seen the look on my wife's face when we received the box from spandexworld!

post #100 of 185 Old 02-08-2010, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Anyone have more pics of their spandex screen? I'm eventually wanting to go AT, and this sounds like a pretty sweet way to go. I would love to see more pics and info on each setup (ie pj, light control, spandex choice, if you are using it as an AT screen, if so, how do you like it? Grills on or off?)

Thanks!

-Sean
post #101 of 185 Old 02-17-2010, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey Everyone

Tomorrow or Friday I'll be going to STRETCH HOUSE and SPANDEX WORLD
in NYC being I live here. I'm sure I'll stop in other shops being this is the fabric district area and there's hundreds of these store fronts here.

I'll be getting my projector soon and still undecided on what screen to get
(Again) so some spandex will have to do for now.

I'm shooting for a 130" D screen and should be able to find some spandex
in 60" roll and see no problem with stretching it for the height needed.I'll be getting 4 way stretch .

I plan on putting black felt or velvet around the entire spandex screen and will attache it using snap on grommets like in this pic (see link below)
http://www.beaconfabric.com/vindex.html?cat303.htm

I'll attach a few hooks on the wall and just attach spandex screen by the grommets and when not in use I can just unhook it to take it down . No sewing or painting just snap snap and it's up and very easy until I decide which electric screen to buy.

If anyone is interested in swatches from STRETCH HOUSE and SPANDEX WORLD
please go to their site today and post the style number. I'll be checking in until 12 midnight tonight EST time so you have time to see what swatches you want.

I'll be happy to ship them out .

Try not to pick the same swatches as other people ..The more different samples you pick I could just send it off to one person and he or she can pass it along to the next person on the list.

I can get 50 swatches easy being there's tons to choose from ...plus I'll send other swatches from other stores but for now just pick from the 2 stores I mentioned being they're right around the corner from each other.

List will go in the order of who posts first and the only catch is you have to pay shipping to send it to
the next person on the list . Of course I'll pay for the first shipping...Doesn't cost much as it's only swatches of fabric.

Hey I might even have 2 lists depending upon how many swatches I get.

This is for the USA only.

Blue

post #102 of 185 Old 02-17-2010, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Rain View Post

Hey Everyone

Tomorrow or Friday

Blue

Um.. better look again... today is Wednesday!

Doug

post #103 of 185 Old 02-17-2010, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Um.. better look again... today is Wednesday!

LOL

Not sure if I'll be able to find the time Thursday that's why I said "Tomorrow or Friday"

Tomorrow meaning Thursday

post #104 of 185 Old 02-17-2010, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 112
time for new glasses!

Doug

post #105 of 185 Old 02-17-2010, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Send a message via AIM to msmCutter Send a message via Skype™ to msmCutter
This is pretty sweet. I'm posting to keep track of everyone's progress. All the AT screens and even just the material have gotten WAY out of control in price. Does anyone have the equipment to really test sound transparency?
post #106 of 185 Old 02-17-2010, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmCutter View Post

This is pretty sweet. I'm posting to keep track of everyone's progress. All the AT screens and even just the material have gotten WAY out of control in price. Does anyone have the equipment to really test sound transparency?

The only thing I have is a Decibel Meter which I bought several years ago when setting up my 6.1 set-up.

I don't know if the db meter will tell the whole story but I'll try it out over the weekend after I get the spandex all set-up.

I'm not interested in sound transparency due to my speakers being just fine where they're at. Main will be right under the screen with front L/R sides right where they belong..on the sides .I'll test the sound just for the fun of it anyway...

I can only test the sound as I don't have my projector yet.

Now to go and look for the db meter

post #107 of 185 Old 02-17-2010, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm also going to try and find some Retro-reflection fabric (White or and Silver)
to put behind the different shades of spandex...whites..grays..silver and black.

The spandex will give me the smooth surface on top and hopefully the Retro fabric will do it's job of reflecting the light back to it's source thru the spandex .

I'm hoping the Retro fabric will also help increase the gain .

There's different grades of Retro reflective fabric and have to do some reading up on that.Plus I have to find it where it's big enough. If anyone has it other than online it would be in NYC's Fabric district...maybe I'll get lucky.

Here's some nice black and silver retro reflective fabric but it's for striping clothes but looks nice.

It has a performance of : 100 cd/lux.

Aaaah so many combinations ..I'll just have to experiment and see what works.

I'll also look for some retro reflective PVC while I'm there.

post #108 of 185 Old 02-17-2010, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Try your dB meter with something with stuff up high like strings or flutes or hairband music I look forward to seeing your results!
post #109 of 185 Old 02-17-2010, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

I would say to just grab swatches of the stuff that you physically look at and think might be good as screens. ie a whites, silvers, grays, and black for backing. Whatever you find there that looks good, grab a swatch of it. I'm totally interested in this (and as mentioned above I will want to use it as an AT screen as well). Just make sure that the swatches have the style number with them so that we now what to order after we decide which one we'd want. BTW, I would suggest using black velvet over the felt you mentioned. I would also be interested in your results with this reflective fabric. I would also like to know the difference in the type of stretching as you mentioned you'd be getting 4-way (that seems like the best option assuming its what I think it is, that way the screen looks uniform vertically and horizontally right?) Sweet, thanks for doing this!!!!

-Sean
post #110 of 185 Old 02-17-2010, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes the 4 way stretches 4 ways V and H which would work better and make it easier to pull evenly .

If I do find a good combination I'll switch over to velvet and Yes that Retro reflective fabric sounds like something that might work .

OK I'll just grab tons of swatches and bring a pen and pad to mark things down if the swatches don't have labels. I'll just have to mark each one and give it a number (Corner of swatch)and write it down on the pad what the main bolt of fabric says.

Some info on the retro reflective fabric..

The retro reflective fabric has tiny prisms just like the High Power gain screens.

"Millions of imbedded tiny glass balls or prisms multiply light back to the source.
The power of a car engine is measured by horsepower - the more the better. The same can be said for reflective material, which is measured by candle power (cd/lux/m²). There is a clear relationship between retroreflective performance of a surface and the distance at which it can be seen. According to 3M data, the retroreflective performance level (candle power) of white clothing is 0.1 - 0.3 , a license plate's performance level is at 50 and typical retroreflective silver fabric has a performance level of 500.

As the following chart depicts, with increasing retroreflective performance, sight distance also increases, clearly demonstrating that reflective materials allow for optimal visibility during low light level conditions. However, not all reflective materials are the same, as there are reflective materials available that range from 65-600 candle power. Remember, the brighter the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230-SEAN View Post

I would say to just grab swatches of the stuff that you physically look at and think might be good as screens. ie a whites, silvers, grays, and black for backing. Whatever you find there that looks good, grab a swatch of it. I'm totally interested in this (and as mentioned above I will want to use it as an AT screen as well). Just make sure that the swatches have the style number with them so that we know what to order after we decide which one we'd want. BTW, I would suggest using black velvet over the felt you mentioned. I would also be interested in your results with this reflective fabric. I would also like to know the difference in the type of stretching as you mentioned you'd be getting 4-way (that seems like the best option assuming its what I think it is, that way the screen looks uniform vertically and horizontally right?) Sweet, thanks for doing this!!!!

-Sean

post #111 of 185 Old 02-17-2010, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Sounds awesome, I can't wait to hear about and see what you find! Thanks again!

-Sean
post #112 of 185 Old 02-18-2010, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Started a new thread ..

Here
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1228287

Blue

post #113 of 185 Old 03-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

This sounds very intriguing. I currently have a 100" S-I-L-V-E-R screen, a fave of MMan. I want to go bigger but don't want to have to deal with seams. This seems like the ideal solution with the added benefit of going AT-ish if I so desire. My only concern would be loss of PQ over the S-I-L-V-E-R, which really pops. Oh the decisions. :-(

Built on a tight budget:
post #114 of 185 Old 03-13-2010, 07:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonS View Post

This sounds very intriguing. I currently have a 100" S-I-L-V-E-R screen, a fave of MMan. I want to go bigger but don't want to have to deal with seams. This seems like the ideal solution with the added benefit of going AT-ish if I so desire. My only concern would be loss of PQ over the S-I-L-V-E-R, which really pops. Oh the decisions. :-(

How much bigger is bigger? There many alternative to choose from, substrate-wise. This application is great....I'm a Fan for several reasons.

The "AT" aspect is not one however, but in that respect it would most likely excel because the type of Spandex used is much less dense and far more porous than any actual AT Screen cloth. Some have questioned as to if it might attenuate or color audio as it passes through....but they needn't. To whatever extent that it might, it would almost assuredly be less than a semi-solid cloth material with a weave or hole pattern.

To me, and unless one has the ability to recess an adequate Center Channel speaker, Bringing the Screen/Frame out from the Wall presents more issues.

But most important of all, there is no cloth reflective enough to equal S-I-L-V-E-R's potential, but a great many other solid substrates can be effectively painted with same.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #115 of 185 Old 03-13-2010, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

How much bigger is bigger?

Not much bigger, but bigger than typical on-hand substrate will allow. I'm thinking somewhere around/under 120". I was thinking 111" just so I can say I have an eleventy-one inch screen.
Quote:
To me, and unless one has the ability to recess an adequate Center Channel speaker, Bringing the Screen/Frame out from the Wall presents more issues.

What issues are you thinking of? I'm not overly excited about the AT possibility. I'd have to buy new mains, and I'm not interested in that upgrade just yet. But it could be an option down the road. Always nice to have options.
Quote:
But most important of all, there is no cloth reflective enough to equal S-I-L-V-E-R's potential, but a great many other solid substrates can be effectively painted with same.

Yessir... I loves me SIL screen, which is why I'm torn. I figure for the cost of this sucker tho, if it sucks I can always go back to the drawing board and get a one-piece substrate somewhere and break out the Wagner again. Here's a thought... how about spraying the Spandex?

Built on a tight budget:
post #116 of 185 Old 03-24-2010, 07:38 AM

Steve, how much stretch is there in the moleskin you used? If the material is 60" wide, what is the limit for a screen size. Would there be enough stretch to make a 60" wide screen? 56"? 54"?
post #117 of 185 Old 04-08-2010, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Scherrer View Post

Here is a link to the material I used - moleskin matte (silver) heavy nylon spandex. It is thicker than the stuff I originally used, but I would imagine it would still be great for an AT screen (and it is on sale as of this posting - 10% off!). I ordered 4 yds of the stuff and cut off the sides what I didn't need - My screen is 108" wide. (I will post some photos later today) Make sure to iron it first if you use it:

http://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/5627

Well I bought 3 yards of this stuff yesterday. It looks like they changed the color from the one Steve bought. His link has shown out of stock for a while now and if you go to the moleskin matte main page it shows a different gray/silver. At least they look different on the computer screen. Here is the link for the stuff I ordered.

http://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/6409

I'm going to try to use this with and 80/20 quick frame with a single twin flange. http://www.8020.net/Quick-Frame-1.asp

I'll try to remember to take pictures when I do this but I usually forget until I'm done with it.
post #118 of 185 Old 04-08-2010, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

We look forward to seeing it!
post #119 of 185 Old 04-12-2010, 10:30 AM

How do you envision connecting the spandex to the twin flange? This looks pretty interesting!
post #120 of 185 Old 04-12-2010, 11:26 AM

I've got two ideas. My first thought was to use window screen spline. I'm not sure how that will work. I think the spline will have to be pretty thick and it might be a pain to get the spandex tight.

I think my plan is going to be small binder clips. The flange will be pointing towards the wall. The material will wrap around the front and top of the frame and be clipped to the flange. If you look at the profile of the flange there is a little lip on it that should help to keep the binder clip on.

If either of these methods work it should be relatively easy to swap out screen material if I don't like how the spandex looks.

The frame should be here in a day or two so I'm hoping to try this out by the weekend.
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page