New cheap DIY screen - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 185 Old 12-29-2012, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry you had such an experience. Not sure what material you got on Ebay but don't let it distract you. I probably tested a dozen different things before trying the cloth and the backing material I have here and it was worth the effort. But you are right, this isn't a roll up project, the backing would delaminate from the screen cloth.

When I first saw you post I at first thought you were talking about my stuff. Whew.. what a relief to see it was something off ebay. Ha ha. Ok. good luck on your screen search.

Bill

William L Agreste
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 185 Old 01-01-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake2415 View Post

To sum up the construction costs, it's well under $200.00 including the DOT 3 Highway Enginnered vinyl.
Figure about $3.00 sq ft for the reflective sheeting about $120.00 for a 10 ft diagonal screen. The frame was made with three 2x4's ripped into 2x2's. A simple squared rectangular box as the wrap around stretch frame and two inserts diagonally to support the frame. This would equal a rectanguar shape with 4 2x2's vertically thru the width of the screen and a 2x2 capping the top and bottom.
Then lay the frame down and decide which is the top side. On the top side staple on a skirt. The skirt is any material that is thin and can be bonded to with packing tape or any other think high stick wide tape. Make this skirt about 4" tall and as long as it takes to reach from the left to right edge of the frame with the material pulled snug. I used a 2 or 3 mil painters poly coth Ihad but you can use any material just be sure it is strong and thin. SNug it across the top of the frame on the screen side. It will be covered over on the front by your screen clot but standing on the back open side you will see this skirt exposed with 2" showing just below the frame. the other 2" is stapled to the frame and the purpose of this is for the first layer of reflective material to anchor to this rigid starting point and not rely on the screen cloth to suspend it's weight. Otherwise you'll get a wrinkle as the cloth gives way a bit to the weight of the reflective sheeting. This plastic skirt serves as a transparent anchor point to hold the weight of the material while the remainder bonds to the screen cloth but does not rely on it for support.

Bill

Bill ,thanks for the samples you sent me. We talked a while back about this screen here and because of LIFE (HAD 2 MAJOR EXPENSE CAUSE ME TO PUT MY THEATER BUILD ON HOLD)

ANYWAYS: I want to make sure i do this sample the correct way. looking at the screen as your watching a movie.........
it should be screen material cloth (main side projector light/image hits)
2.Then behind that your highway sign reflective sheeting?

This is where I am confused......

(is it the sticky BACK side of that sheeting stuck to the first main projector screen?)
So in other words ...if there was no main projector screen there ..you the viewer would see the projected image on the sticky back side.

Or is the design/color part of the reflective material is face-up behind the main screen and the sticky part is stuck to the skirt?

So if you remove the main projector screen you the viewer would see the image on the same side (front) of the reflective material ?

Sorry if i seem slow on this part , and I lost the email i had when you may have answered this when you sent the samples......just want to double check and make sure...
thanks again for the sample.

I think i may try a dark grey mate spandex as the screen itself and your material behind it in my build. reason because with a screen hold from lowes i can get a nice tight even pull on a frame.

I am leaning towards Viewsonic pro8200. its a bright projector and since this will replace my t.v with a 3 yr warranty and long lamp this may work,(n.d. filter if its to bright also)

I have about as much light as you have in your post. so need something for day time. was looking at Mits hc4800 also but don't think it will work in day light but the picture seems great from reviews at night.
post #183 of 185 Old 08-28-2013, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 43
So how are people making a screen that is, say, 110" diagonal with these fabrics? I notice most of these only come in around 58" wide, which certainly won't cover the entire screen of that size. Is one able to special order these to fit the size that you need, or does one put multiple sheets together in order to get the screen size they desire? I guess I'm just confused on how people are making this happen. An acoustic screen is what I desire.
post #184 of 185 Old 08-29-2013, 08:36 AM

A 110" screen would be 96x54 (16:9). Most of the material we're using is stretchable. So by the time you pull it tight over the frame, you've easily got 60"+ of material.

I haven't worked on screens for quite a while, but you'll have to be aware of whether the material you're using is truly acoustically transparent.

Good luck!
post #185 of 185 Old 08-29-2013, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by lektern View Post

A 110" screen would be 96x54 (16:9). Most of the material we're using is stretchable. So by the time you pull it tight over the frame, you've easily got 60"+ of material.

I haven't worked on screens for quite a while, but you'll have to be aware of whether the material you're using is truly acoustically transparent.

Good luck!

Oh ok. That makes sense. Well I will either use spandex or ponte which apparently both work as acoustic material.
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page