post #31 of 71 Old 12-03-2009, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanced View Post

I got a UWB sample. No hotspot. I have a temporary glossy laminate screen right now with a big hotspot. I put the UWB right on that spot and I don't see any problem.

Yeah boyee....I see a future, cheapo, no hassle screen in my future. So that was the paper lined one? Someone needs to try the plastic types.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 71 Old 12-04-2009, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post

Yeah boyee....I see a future, cheapo, no hassle screen in my future. So that was the paper lined one? Someone needs to try the plastic types.

Sounds maybe like the paper type. Yes, specifically, we need someone to try-out a sample of "Ultra Plus":

http://www.ultraboard.com/ultraplus/
post #33 of 71 Old 12-05-2009, 12:12 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Viche,
I tested the "Ultra White DP". Which one is the plastic type?
Also, compare with the WilsonArt, the cost is about the same (I got the price from pitman (online). So by "cheapo", can you get a good deal somewhere?
post #34 of 71 Old 12-05-2009, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Which one is the plastic type?

Umm, one post up?
post #35 of 71 Old 12-07-2009, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Cheapo and easy compared to other solutions (ie real screens). Also we order big boxes and get the 4' x 8' 3/8" Ultra Board for somehwere around $30.

The two plastic types are:
Ultra Board = lined with 0.015” high impact litho grade polystyrene
Ultra Plus = lined with 1mm rigid expanded PVC foam sheet

I've seen the "Ultra Board" and I know that is low sheen. Never seen the pvc type in person.
post #36 of 71 Old 12-08-2009, 08:31 AM

Hello All,

I'm the National Sales Manager at United Industries and came across this post today. I would like to know if you have received your sample kit(s) yet and how they worked for your application. We have larger samples (2' x 3') available for your testing if needed. I'm not sure that the 8" x 10" samples that come in the standard sample kit would be large enough for your needs so if would like the larger kits please feel free to contact me with your request.

I've noticed that some of the concerns were the durability of the board. Simply put, anything that would damage projections screen would damage our boards as well (wiffle ball bats, kids, sharp object, etc.). As some of you have pointed out though, when damaged you are out less than $100.00 for a screen vs. much higher cost screens marketed to the projection screen industry.

The Ultra Board product has a 15 mil litho grade styrene liner on each side. Ultra Board is the product that you see in many of the department stores overhead signage programs such as Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Lowe's, and Sears.

Ultra White DP has a brighter white point than the Ultra Board and is slightly more rigid. The cap on each side of the sheet is an 18 pt. poly coated paper.

Ultra Plus is capped with 1mm PVC on each side and is our most rigid board. The surface has a little more texture than our Ultra Board or Ultra White DP. Ultra Plus would by far be more durable than most screens available in the market. Ultra Plus most likely wouldn't give the same visual quality as Ultra Board or Ultra White DP but I can't say that for certain.

We can produce Ultra Board and Ultra White DP up to 60" x 120". Custom sizes are available so if you needed exact sizes in order to fit screen ratios for projectors we can produce those for you, minimums do apply (100 sheets). Many of our distributors can cut custom sizes for you for quantities under 100.

I hope I have been able to address most of your questions but if you have any further questions, concerns, or need samples please feel free to contact me. I'd be happy to help you in any way I can.

Ben
post #37 of 71 Old 12-08-2009, 09:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by United Ind View Post

Hello All,

I'm the National Sales Manager at United Industries and came across this post today. I would like to know if you have received your sample kit(s) yet and how they worked for your application. We have larger samples (2' x 3') available for your testing if needed. I'm not sure that the 8" x 10" samples that come in the standard sample kit would be large enough for your needs so if would like the larger kits please feel free to contact me with your request.

I hope I have been able to address most of your questions but if you have any further questions, concerns, or need samples please feel free to contact me. I'd be happy to help you in any way I can.

Ben

So nice this. Kinda border line as far as the Rules allow, but perhaps this Post can be moved into a DIY Screen sticky for reference?

At present it is comparable if indeed not considerably cheaper than WA-DW as far as cost when a 4' x 8' sheet is considered, but because it can be had in a far more rigid state, many of the framing / supportive issues are cast aside, giving it a leg up...especially if one needs/wants to use it as a canvass to apply a good DIY Screen paint option to..

What is a tickle is the 60" x 120" er size. THAT is absolutely made to order for the upcoming surge into Anamorphic DIY Screen making.

I for one feel very excited and anticipatory over this....only mitigated by my hoping there is no repetition of the Parkland pricing / availability fiasco.

People.....show 'em how much we appreciate his interest and willingness to accommodate.

I'm a gonna......

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #38 of 71 Old 12-09-2009, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by United Ind View Post

The Ultra Board product has a 15 mil litho grade styrene liner on each side....Ultra Plus is capped with 1mm PVC on each side and is our most rigid board. The surface has a little more texture...We can produce Ultra Board and Ultra White DP up to 60" x 120".

Arrgh, I completely missed somehow that the Ultra Board has a "styrene liner" and not paper, which I expect makes it a superior surface to my paper Gatorfoam board. The Ultra Plus would obviously be sturdier, but its texture might not be good with a 1080p projector. In any case if it's only available in 8' widths (see website description) then it's no good anyway as a screen (too small!).

p.s. I dunno plastics myself, but Alcan (makers of Gatorfoam) also makes Sintra, which I haven't seen discussed here at AVS too often but appears may have a surface similar to Ultra Board. It is also available in 10' widths (my minimum width for HT apps).
post #39 of 71 Old 12-09-2009, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Welcome aboard Mr. Sales Manager. It's about time that this topic picked up some interest. Now I'm just worried that I let my idea for using this stuff as a screen out of the bag before I got one for me.
post #40 of 71 Old 12-11-2009, 05:25 PM

One big disadvantage of this board vs. the laminate is transportability. I don't know how to fit a 5'x10' board into my SUV yet :-) I certainly don't want to spend another $30 for U-haul rental :-)
One area it may shine over the WA is the resolution. However, i'm not sure it's detectable at 13' of viewing distance.
post #41 of 71 Old 12-16-2009, 08:36 AM

Actually, never mind my previous comment regarding the price. Just asked the local Pitman yesterday. A piece of 5'x10' UW DP is about $35. About 1/3 cheaper than the Wilson Art of the same size and he can ship to my house as well.

About durability, my 2 yr old girl broke my TV twice. So I do worry about this . However, both sides of the board are identical (unlike the laminate). So you can always flip it in case of slight damage to one side.

I just got back from a trip to Asia. Will do some testing this week before I order it. I'm too lazy.
post #42 of 71 Old 12-17-2009, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You going to test the plastic coated versions as well?
post #43 of 71 Old 01-07-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:

You going to test the plastic coated versions as well?

Viche,
Since my last post, I've decided to go with the plastic coated version so I can use the white as is and paint the black with N8.5+poly. The 1/2 in thick is more expensive, but I can get 2 screens for one (both sides).
The sample I have is too small to test anything.
The board is in next week. I'll post my impression of it.
post #44 of 71 Old 01-07-2010, 07:01 PM

Sorry I'm a bit slow and catching up a lot of older threads. But - Wow $35 for a 5'x10' sheet? That beats my poplar frame & BOC screen I just made, and its lighter. I think it would make an excellent substrate to paint. How much was shipping for that sheet? What courier ships something that size?

Anyway to find out if their are local dealers. It would obviously be easier to pick it up locally. Mr. Sales Rep is invited to answer here. I might consider changing still since its lighter and it could be painted on both sides. My screen hangs from the ceiling so it would be easy to reverse it.
post #45 of 71 Old 01-07-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyro2 View Post

Sorry I'm a bit slow and catching up a lot of older threads. But - Wow $35 for a 5'x10' sheet? That beats my poplar frame & BOC screen I just made, and its lighter. I think it would make an excellent substrate to paint. How much was shipping for that sheet? What courier ships something that size?

Anyway to find out if their are local dealers. It would obviously be easier to pick it up locally. Mr. Sales Rep is invited to answer here. I might consider changing still since its lighter and it could be painted on both sides. My screen hangs from the ceiling so it would be easy to reverse it.

Pyro2,
I ended up with the 1/2 inch thick Ultra Board, which costs about $80. S&H included. The dealer is local. They will deliver to my house. Pitman only sells to businesses though. I'm also using this to test out a business idea related to video conferencing.
post #46 of 71 Old 01-11-2010, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Pyro2,
I ended up with the 1/2 inch thick Ultra Board, which costs about $80. S&H included. The dealer is local. They will deliver to my house. Pitman only sells to businesses though. I'm also using this to test out a business idea related to video conferencing.

You don't plan on painting it do you? I don't see why you'd need to. If anything it might mar the perfect surface.
post #47 of 71 Old 01-11-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:

You don't plan on painting it do you? I don't see why you'd need to. If anything it might mar the perfect surface.

Viche,
One side is black, so I will paint that side with neutral gray (N8.5). I really like the deeper color on gray screen. I will leave the white side as is.
post #48 of 71 Old 01-12-2010, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Viche,
One side is black, so I will paint that side with neutral gray (N8.5). I really like the deeper color on gray screen. I will leave the white side as is.

You're using the Ultra Board (with the 0.015 high impact litho grade polystyrene liner) not the Ultra Plus (with the 1mm rigid expanded PVC foam sheet), right?

The version of the Ultra Board we get is white on both sides. Guess they have it with different options of colors.
post #49 of 71 Old 01-13-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:

You're using the Ultra Board (with the 0.015 high impact litho grade polystyrene liner) not the Ultra Plus (with the 1mm rigid expanded PVC foam sheet), right?

The version of the Ultra Board we get is white on both sides. Guess they have it with different options of colors.

My board arrived today (Ultra Board, not Ultra Plus) and yes, both sides are white as you said. I guess the sample is different.

I'm now hesitant to paint on the beautiful white surface. I will hold that off for now (while building my HT stage). Once that is done, i will paint on the cut-out first. If the result is good, I'll paint one side.

BTW, the board performs very well. I don't have a WA DW laminate to compare with, but the picture really pop. As with any white surface, black is weak. I'll do more testing when I get the HT up and running.
post #50 of 71 Old 01-14-2010, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My board arrived today (Ultra Board, not Ultra Plus) and yes, both sides are white as you said. I guess the sample is different.

I'm now hesitant to paint on the beautiful white surface. I will hold that off for now (while building my HT stage). Once that is done, i will paint on the cut-out first. If the result is good, I'll paint one side.

BTW, the board performs very well. I don't have a WA DW laminate to compare with, but the picture really pop. As with any white surface, black is weak. I'll do more testing when I get the HT up and running.

What kind of projector are you using? I'd not heard that I should expect "weak blacks" on a white screen. Seems the majority of users have white screens. I was thinking of using a Panasonic AE4000 with this board. From that forum, it seems people are getting good, deep blacks on white screens. They are straying away from gray screen because they say it isn't necessary.
post #51 of 71 Old 01-14-2010, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

What kind of projector are you using? I'd not heard that I should expect "weak blacks" on a white screen. Seems the majority of users have white screens. I was thinking of using a Panasonic AE4000 with this board. From that forum, it seems people are getting good, deep blacks on white screens. They are straying away from gray screen because they say it isn't necessary.

The benefits of a gray screen are dependent on the room colors and the desire for ambient lighting. If your room has dark walls and ceiling, and you will always use the projector with lights off then white is recommended.

In the Beginner's Guide To Simple DIY Painted Screens there is a section titled White Screen OR Gray Screen that explains the reasons for going gray. There is a photographic White Screen vs Gray Screen Demonstration that clearly shows the benefits of a gray screen.

Today most projectors have very good black levels but in the past gray screens were also used to assist projectors with poor black level performance. With the current crop of projectors ambient light is the main reason to go gray.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
post #52 of 71 Old 01-14-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:

I have the Epson 8100. Black is good on white screen, but it can be better on gray. I tested with a gray board and I like the depth of the picture. Frankly, good or not-so-good black level is a relative term. When I watch with my white screen, I don't pay much attention on the black deficiency. However, when I put on the gray, I like the depth better. So I know for sure black can be improved. Now, if you like the black level on white, don't try with the gray because you will then feel that it's not good enough on white
post #53 of 71 Old 01-18-2010, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Good links. When the lights were out though, even with white walls and ceiling, I thought they were pretty similar. If that's the case, I'd rather not have to mess with paint. I'll just turn the lights out.
post #54 of 71 Old 01-27-2010, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any updates?
post #55 of 71 Old 02-11-2010, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Bump, so "edfowler" did you get your 10 ft Ultraboard ? How did it work out ? Anyone else take the plunge ?

"lanced" how are liking your Ultra Board ?
post #56 of 71 Old 02-15-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGTX View Post

Bump, so "edfowler" did you get your 10 ft Ultraboard ? How did it work out ? Anyone else take the plunge ?

"lanced" how are liking your Ultra Board ?

Yes and no :-).

I finished my screen yesterday, so didn't get to spend much time with it. PQ is good. I haven't done side-by-side comparison with the WA laminate yet. I think there is a slight color shift (blue), but very little. Overrall, I like the PQ it produces. Also, the fact that it has 2 sides that I can use is very nice. I will paint one side with N8 gray to improve the ambient light and black.
The bad side of it is that it can be ding quite easy (compare with laminate). So far, since I got it home, 2 dings already. It is not noticeble from 10 ft, but still. No, pressing your finger nail against it won't ding it, but thumb pressing against it really hard may do.

http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/1632027...een4-small.jpg
post #57 of 71 Old 02-16-2010, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes and no :-).

I finished my screen yesterday, so didn't get to spend much time with it. PQ is good. I haven't done side-by-side comparison with the WA laminate yet. I think there is a slight color shift (blue), but very little. Overrall, I like the PQ it produces. Also, the fact that it has 2 sides that I can use is very nice. I will paint one side with N8 gray to improve the ambient light and black.
The bad side of it is that it can be ding quite easy (compare with laminate). So far, since I got it home, 2 dings already. It is not noticeble from 10 ft, but still. No, pressing your finger nail against it won't ding it, but thumb pressing against it really hard may do.

http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/1632027...een4-small.jpg

Interesting. I wonder if the Ultra Plus with the 1mm rigid expanded PVC coating would be any tougher. So how did you hang it? Can you take a shot with the lights off?
post #58 of 71 Old 02-18-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:

Interesting. I wonder if the Ultra Plus with the 1mm rigid expanded PVC coating would be any tougher. So how did you hang it? Can you take a shot with the lights off?

I posted some details on the frame here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=18145588

I was too lazy to bring out my big camera with tripod to take a photo of the screen, so I used the P&S Canon in manual mode. Not very good as I didn't do custom WB and no tripod. But here it's anyway:
post #59 of 71 Old 02-18-2010, 10:03 AM

Keeping this thread alive - Very cool lanced! Has anyone else tried this solution?

Found a website that sells 48x96 Ultra Boards in singles for a fairly decent price and 1/4" 48x96 Plus boards. But shipping is $74!
http://www.artsupply.com/foamcore/ultraboard.htm

Anyone know if any big chain distributors sell these?
post #60 of 71 Old 02-18-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevnup View Post

Keeping this thread alive - Very cool lanced! Has anyone else tried this solution?

Found a website that sells 48x96 Ultra Boards in singles for a fairly decent price and 1/4" 48x96 Plus boards. But shipping is $74!
http://www.artsupply.com/foamcore/ultraboard.htm

Anyone know if any big chain distributors sell these?

Is there a Pitman in your area?
Also, give the manufacture (United Industries) a call. They can give you contacts for the distributor (http://ultraboard.com/ultrawhite/)
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page