Anyone ever try using Ultraboard as a screen? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 71 Old 10-09-2009, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
We use a 4'x8' piece of white Ultraboard at work as a screen and it looks pretty good. It is plastic on the outside and inside, and comes in 48" x 96", 60" x 96" and 60" x 120." It can be anywhere from 3/16" up to 3" thick and doesn't tend to warp. I believe the 4'x8', 3/16" that we use was about $35.

Pitman is a distributor of Ultraboard. They appear to sell a lot of different board types. Check out the chart on this page:
http://www.pitman.com/segments/displ...ics/board.html

I searched this forum and didn't see a lot of posts mentioning these products (other than gatorboard).

Just wondering how these might compare to paint, Parkland (which I understand is not longer any good) or Do-able boards.

Need advice for a home theater setup. I'm thinking of using a Panasonic AE4000 in a light controlled environment. Any suggestions?

Oh, almost forgot, here's the United Insdustries website (makers of ultraboard) http://www.ultraboard.com/products/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 Old 10-14-2009, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Nobody? Ever?
post #3 of 71 Old 10-14-2009, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Hi Viche,

While I have not used this product, it sounds interesting. Did you experience any hot spotting from the PJ's lamp ? You must have had a local dealer, since this board is so large. Will check out their web site for reseller locations, opps no nearby dealer for me.

I see six types of Ultraboard, which did you use ?

John
post #4 of 71 Old 10-15-2009, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm not sure that I can comment on hotspotting as we only had the screen up for a short period before we switch to a conventional screen. I want to say I didn't notice a lot of hotspotting. I just looked at a piece of ultrboard and it has a matte finish. It's definitely not shiny. I remember hanging about 7 other screen samples up against it and I kept saying that the ultraboard looked the most even from various viewing angles and it appeared to distort colors less than most. It seemd about middle of the pack in terms of brightness, so I'm assuming it's close to a 1.0 gain.

We are a graphics shop so we order it in large boxes. We used the plain Ultra Board Foam Core panel. It has a high impact polystyrene (plastic) exterior. The others (except for the Ultra Plus which has what looks like an even thicker piece of PVC on the outside) look like they are paper on the ouside...so I would think they would be less rigid and more prone to damage/bending.

I just called United Industries and they told me that I could buy called individual sheets at 3 locations in MD. I'd really like someone that knows screens to try one of these out and let me know how they compare to the other DIY options.
post #5 of 71 Old 10-15-2009, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I'm going to see if our print shop can order some and I'll give it a try
post #6 of 71 Old 10-15-2009, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Great! I need to find a solution for my future theater. Let me know what you find out.
post #7 of 71 Old 10-15-2009, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

i'm going to have to call them and get a sample personaly since our print shop will not help me order it.
post #8 of 71 Old 10-15-2009, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Ultraboard had a sample pack on the way within 15 minutes of me contacting them and I have two distributers within 1 hr from here so it looks promising.
post #9 of 71 Old 10-16-2009, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler View Post

Ultraboard had a sample pack on the way within 15 minutes of me contacting them and I have two distributers within 1 hr from here so it looks promising.

Cool so you'll be able to try the regular Ultraboard, plus the paper and pvc coated ones? One of the paper ones is called Ultra White. I'd be interested to hear how much different the whiteness of each surface is.

The cool thing is that some of them come in bigger sizes and you can get them pretty thick. The 3/16" ones we get seem a little thin and floppy (although if they were mounted on a wall, they'd probably be ok). I'd think the 3/4" and above would be relatively rigid.

I'm hoping these work out. It would be such an easy, cheap solution for me.
post #10 of 71 Old 10-16-2009, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm thinking that if they are good enough for accurate color reproduction in a printing application they should be pretty decent for projection.

I've sampled a lot of different screens over the years so I know what I am looking for .

I'll keep you posted with my opinions.
post #11 of 71 Old 10-16-2009, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Excellent....just the type of person I was looking for to test it out.
post #12 of 71 Old 10-23-2009, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So when are the samples arriving? When, when, when???
post #13 of 71 Old 10-25-2009, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post

So when are the samples arriving? When, when, when???

that's what I'd like to know.

If I don't get the samples by the end of the week I may have to contact the local suppliers and see if I can get a 10' board to play around with.
post #14 of 71 Old 10-26-2009, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

I am somewhat interested in this. I'd like to know:
- exactly how dent resistant is it?
- how rigid?
- how true are the dimensions, and particularly how flat the surface is.
- how paintable?

I'd imagine it's pretty paintable. I'd want to mount this on a wall that might not be truly flat. I also have kids and hate to think something would bump the screen and dent or ding it.
post #15 of 71 Old 10-27-2009, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakophyte View Post

I am somewhat interested in this. I'd like to know:
- exactly how dent resistant is it?
- how rigid?
- how paintable?

I'd imagine it's pretty paintable. I'd want to mount this on a wall that might not be truly flat. I also have kids and hate to think something would bump the screen and dent or ding it.

Hard to answer these questions since the answers are subjective, but I'll try:

- exactly how dent resistant is it? If you hit it with a hammer you'll crack the outer surface, crush the foam underneath and maybe or punch a hole through it. If you rapped it with your knuckles, not much would happen. If you fell into it or hit it with a kids whiffle ball bat, it might indent. I pushed my fingernail into it pretty hard and it left a small indentation the shape of my nail. I would imagine the amount of damage would also depent on how thick a piece you got. It ranges from 3/16" - 3" thick. I'm not sure if the outer layer is thicker on thicker pieces. There is a version that has pvc on the outside that might be more dent resistant/rigid.

- how rigid? Pretty rigid. I made two fake tvs to see how they would look in my house. I laminated images onto two boards. The 46" TV image was on another type of board, foamcore, also 3/16" thick which is paper lined. That screen became very curved over time. In fact it would almost be a perfect curved screen if you could figure out a way to control the amount of curve. The 52" tv image I put on a piece of 3/16" ultraboard. To this day, almost a year later, the thing is extremely flat. This is the stuff they use for signs and overhead displays at the big box stores. Look at the picture on this page:http://www.ultraboard.com/ultraboard/
I think the stuff is pretty rigid and built to remain straight. You can bend it a little if you try, but not much. After a few degrees, you'd start to damage it.

My printing buddies tell me the dimensions are pretty much exact. And the stuff is just about perfectly flat.

- how paintable? Well that I'm not sure about. I'd imagine it's as paintable as Parkland. The paper faced stuff is obviously going to be very paintable, but I don't think that would be the best choice. The ultraboard stuff is "litho grade polystyrene." It's not shiny. Then the Ultra Plus is PVC. Guess edfowler can tell us when he gets his samples. I don't have any paint at work to test it right now.
post #16 of 71 Old 10-27-2009, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oh I forget to say:

I think this stuff would be flatter than a non-flat wall. I was thinking of making a front side frame out of poplar wrapped in black velvet and then attaching poplar strips to the top, middle and bottom back of the screen. If you hung the screen from one of these support strips, I think the screen would hang straight even though the wall was uneven. I've been trying to thinking of ways to contruct the frame/supports and have some ideas.

I think kids would be a danger, but the good thing is that a new screen might only cost you around $40 -75 if it got damaged.
post #17 of 71 Old 10-27-2009, 08:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post

Oh I forget to say:

I think this stuff would be flatter than a non-flat wall.

Well let's hope so !!!!

Quote:
I was thinking of making a front side frame out of poplar wrapped in black velvet and then attaching poplar strips to the top, middle and bottom back of the screen. If you hung the screen from one of these support strips, I think the screen would hang straight even though the wall was uneven. I've been trying to thinking of ways to construct the frame/supports and have some ideas.

Simply having the material cut 2.5" wider and higher than needed for the image, then screwing it to the wall using a minimum of screws around the perimeter, then covering that area with a Wrapped Trim overlay would be easier, and less intrusive (damaging) on the wall than multiple support Boards.

And by being attached to the wall around it's perimeter, bending or curving will never be something to worry about. Keep it simple, and you'll keep it easy and more affordable.

Quote:
I think kids would be a danger, but the good thing is that a new screen might only cost you around $40 -75 if it got damaged.

I haven't heard or seen anything that would lead me to believe that you could acquire a 10' x 6' piece of this sort of material for $75.00 in any thickness beyond 3/16ths of an inch.

IMO, any surface that can be dented by pressing a fingernail into it is unacceptably soft, and wholly inappropriate for this sort of use when Kids or Rowdy Beer Buddies are going to be anywhere near it. And it's the painting of such that is the time consuming and expense related factor....not so much the Board itself.

Doable stands out because it's "good to go' as is. Only it's limited availability and size keeps it from being as popular as Parkland Plastic was for a while.

Now to qualify what might of seemed as being dismissive of this suggestion, if any of the described materials (...and their facing materials....) prove to be a very good "as is" projection surface...and the cost is commensurate to GatorFoam ($75.00 @ 10' x 5') then many might benefit greatly from it's availabilty. Me for one of a certainty. I'm lusting a bit after that 72" x 120" size. Bring it on!!!!! Have Wagner....will squirt!

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #18 of 71 Old 10-28-2009, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I take it back, the 3/16" that I've had leaning against my wall has developed a slight curve from top to bottom, probably from leaning. I would think the thicker sizes, attached to a frame or directly to the wall as MississippiMan described would prevent this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Simply having the material cut 2.5" wider and higher than needed for the image, then screwing it to the wall using a minimum of screws around the perimeter, then covering that area with a Wrapped Trim overlay would be easier, and less intrusive (damaging) on the wall than multiple support Boards.

And by being attached to the wall around it's perimeter, bending or curving will never be something to worry about. Keep it simple, and you'll keep it easy and more affordable.
:

First I was responding to the guy who said his wall wasn't straight, so I think the frame would be necessary for him. In my case, I may even want to hang the screen over a door that I don't need to use, before determining if I want to remove the door and drywall over the area. In this case I need some sort of support frame for the screen.

As far as attaching a border the frame over top, there are a couple of questions/issues:
1. What if you want the largest possible screen and don't want to spend more or can't obtain one of the larger pieces of ultraboard? 5" is a lot to lose.
2. How would you attach the border frame on top of the screen after it is wrapped in fabric?

Quote:

I haven't heard or seen anything that would lead me to believe that you could acquire a 10' x 6' piece of this sort of material for $75.00 in any thickness beyond 3/16ths of an inch.:

We get the 3/16" for $30. I'm not sure how much the rest is.

Quote:

IMO, any surface that can be dented by pressing a fingernail into it is unacceptably soft, and wholly inappropriate for this sort of use when Kids or Rowdy Beer Buddies are going to be anywhere near it. And it's the painting of such that is the time consuming and expense related factor....not so much the Board itself.

My hope is that no painting is required

Quote:

Doable stands out because it's "good to go' as is. Only it's limited availability and size keeps it from being as popular as Parkland Plastic was for a while.

I don't think I can get either locally in MD, can I? If so, that might be an option. But I like the fact that Ultraboard has some structure support to itself in case your wall is slightly un-flat.
post #19 of 71 Old 10-29-2009, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the comments... I wonder if we cant get this stuff measured for color response.
post #20 of 71 Old 10-30-2009, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So edfowler, did the samples show up?
post #21 of 71 Old 11-05-2009, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The suspence is killing me. Did the samples arrive???
post #22 of 71 Old 11-11-2009, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I can't take it any more. Where has everyone gone?
post #23 of 71 Old 11-12-2009, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

post #24 of 71 Old 11-12-2009, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Also waiting...
post #25 of 71 Old 11-22-2009, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oh where, oh where has my ultraboard test gone? Oh where, oh where can it be?
post #26 of 71 Old 11-23-2009, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
@Viche I don't understand, since you work at a graphics shop, why you don't just get an ultraboard yourself (or samples)?

I have (and love) a simple Gatorfoam board as a screen, unpainted (white paper surface, 1/2-inch foam core) and love it. No hotspots, great color rendition.

It appears to me that Ultraboard with "paper lining" would be the same/very similar to Gatorfoam. My only complaint about Gatorfoam is that the paper surface is susceptible to damage--I managed to dent mine, and while repairing the dent was fairly easy with some spackle (and is near-impossible for me to see even when looking for it) I think in most households a paper screen wouldn't last very long.

So if/when I need to replace my GF screen I will look at Ultra Plus--the ultraboard with a PVC surface that is dent-resistant.
post #27 of 71 Old 11-24-2009, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

@Viche I don't understand, since you work at a graphics shop, why you don't just get an ultraboard yourself (or samples)?

I have (and love) a simple Gatorfoam board as a screen, unpainted (white paper surface, 1/2-inch foam core) and love it. No hotspots, great color rendition.

It appears to me that Ultraboard with "paper lining" would be the same/very similar to Gatorfoam. My only complaint about Gatorfoam is that the paper surface is susceptible to damage--I managed to dent mine, and while repairing the dent was fairly easy with some spackle (and is near-impossible for me to see even when looking for it) I think in most households a paper screen wouldn't last very long.

So if/when I need to replace my GF screen I will look at Ultra Plus--the ultraboard with a PVC surface that is dent-resistant.

I don't have a projector at home. I have one at work, but it's hardly a good test environment, ambient light, no BluRay player, etc.

Ultraboard is a step up from Gatorboard in terms of construction. I've had Gatorboard curve on signs, while Ultraboard remains pretty rigid.

I'm really more interested in the Ultraboard with the high impact litho grade polystyrene and the PVC lining. Thye seem much more durable than paper lined board. We have the polystyrene type. Never seen the PVC type in person.

I'd just like someone (who knows what to look for) to test the three surface types in a theater environment for hotspotting and color.

A real shootout vs other easy DIY screen materials with photos would be ideal!
post #28 of 71 Old 11-25-2009, 05:11 PM

Liked: 13
Don't know if this is going to help much but I recently purchased foamboard from Pearl Paint (Art Supply store in NY area). I was using a 3'x5' artist canvas which was painted with Misty Evening gray paint. I thought the image was great until I switched to the 3.5' X 6.5' foamboard in the standard white. There was obviously a little loss of black but it is really only noticeable in a side by side comparo because the increase in color brightness and pop makes the available black look "blacker" in comparison. Overall the white foamboard is the more pleasing image (so much so that the wife noticed right away. She thought I had purchased some kind of super blu ray disc, Lol.)

The bad news... it does hotspot and it is noticeable, especially on very bright scenes. It may make a difference how the projector is mounted because mine is mounted ceiling style on a DIY wall unit extension. And yes I know a 3.5 X 6.5' screen is small as projectors go but I am in a NYC apartment and I only have about 11' of usable projector distance. I will say this, <$1,000 for a large image that certainly challenges (or betters) LCD or DLP TV, from a shoe box sized unit. Best thing is when I move, I can tuck it under my arm unlike the 40 inch Toshiba I lugged up 4 flights of stairs!! stairs T9from h ")Ss

Edit: A good way to see the sheen that causes the hotspotting is to look at the board from the side (almost edge on) You will see it. I'm going to try to painting a matte clear poly over it. Oh, and it is relatively easy to dent but it also only cost $28 for a 4' x 8' sheet.

I'm getting there....!!!
post #29 of 71 Old 11-30-2009, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the foamboard review. I'm wondering how Ultraboards two surfaces will handle hotspotting. Since they are plastic finishes, I wonder if you could just go over them with a super find sandpaper to make them as matt as possible. (not that the piece I have it very shiny looking).
post #30 of 71 Old 12-01-2009, 09:15 PM

I got a UWB sample. No hotspot. I have a temporary glossy laminate screen right now with a big hotspot. I put the UWB right on that spot and I don't see any problem.
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page