Painters drop cloth for screen? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-27-2009, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Still searching for a local source on some type of material to use for a 106" screen. Has anyone tried using a painters drop cloth? I found two different 9'x12' ones that may work. One is plain white and fairly thin. Though it is certainly tough enough to stretch over a frame. The other is a heavy duty "canvas" type of cloth. It is a dark color so will need to be painted. Hmmmm decisions decisions!

Anyone else ever try some kind of painters drop cloth for a screen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-27-2009, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I used one initially as a temp screen to test out my projector and screen size. I wouldn't want it as an actual screen though.

You can use a bed sheet for that matter but I would look into Dazian black out cloth or look at the spandex options which have arisen recently DIY section for local fabric stores.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 Old 10-27-2009, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Link to spandex material thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1174153

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old 12-05-2012, 11:11 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownShadow View Post

Still searching for a local source on some type of material to use for a 106" screen. Has anyone tried using a painters drop cloth? I found two different 9'x12' ones that may work. One is plain white and fairly thin. Though it is certainly tough enough to stretch over a frame. The other is a heavy duty "canvas" type of cloth. It is a dark color so will need to be painted. Hmmmm decisions decisions!

Anyone else ever try some kind of painters drop cloth for a screen?

I have a Painter's Canvas drop cloth I hang on my wall. From things I have read online, it seems fine to paint and use screen paint. It does make a difference! Its very cheap (bought mine for about $11 (6'x9'). I also plan on making a screen out of it (fixed frame). Let me know what you end up doing!
post #5 of 5 Old 12-06-2012, 03:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I have used drop cloth canvas for many test screens. In my signature there are some links that show the test screens. It is the poorest quality canvas you will find. And depending on the size it will have seams and the surface will have some knots and such. You can buy some really good quality canvas that is perfect for not much more money and it will come rolled and up to 12 feet wide.

Bud

Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page