Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-17-2009, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is a picture of my current setup:

http://www.whitegang.com/build/current.jpg

The room dimensions are 25'x20'. The arrows are the dimensions of the proposed screen areal: 96x164 The front speakers are also 11 wide.

I want my DIY screen as large as possible. I have complete control of the room, I can do anything I want up there, wife is going to complain regardless, but it's my room. I also have full access all the way around and on top of it very easily. My main fear is for her to walk up there and say, the old/new tv looked just as good. I want it to look bigger obviously and much better.

I've read and read in the forums and have lots of info saved in a file. I want to do a 2.35:1 or maybe 2.37:1. We watch a lot of Movies up there and that's the primary focus for the screen. The PS3 is the Blu-Ray player, we play some Xbox 360, and watch HD Direct TV (Sports). Again, my main focus is movies, I can handle (for now anyway) the black bars.

The room is upstairs, that's why I have the 2 fans, very hot up there. I have the 4 can lights also. Other than that, it is pitch black. I realize the fans will have to go or at minimum be moved. Currently my Sub is at the very back corner of the room. At this time, I'm not interested in building a stage (but would if warranted), I just want a screen, I guess the center channel will have to be low and the mains on the outside of the screen, it's not the look I prefer, but it will work. I will be moving all of the components to a closet on the side towards the back or building something into the wall back there. I also realize my walls are too light, I'm willing to paint them to the best desired color.

I have ordered the Panasonic PT-AE4000 which will be delivered tomorrow. I still have to get a mount or build something to have it sit on. I'm a ways off, and in no hurry obviously other than pulling the trigger too quick on the Panasonic.

I'm pretty much open to any suggestions. I'm just now digging into posts about the types of screens. I had originally thought I would by a bundle with the projector and go with a 16x9. Then I decided Wilson Art was a good (cheaper) choice and to do the 2.35:1. Now I'm finding posts that claim 2.37:1 is the way to go, and the Wilson Art may not give me the Pop I desire, painting may need to get me where I want to be. I have lots of confusion at this point and have some really dumb, basic questions. Please reply to this thread or PM me what you think from experience. I think I'm handy enough to do all this. I'm going to buy a spray gun and I have no problems spraying paint. I would build the frame myself as well. I wouldn't mind doing a stage, if there is material out there that would work. I'm just trying to keep this project as cheap as possible.

1. What type of screen should I get? Fabric, Wilson Art, Thrifty White Utility Wall Paneling?
2. Can you paint the Wilson Art screen? Would you even want to? I'm really confused as to what people are painting, because my walls are textured.
3. If I paint the screen, what mixture should I use?
4. What size should I go with?
5. Of course, all the stuff I'm missing..

Thanks to everyone for sharing! I look forward to reading more and hopefully receiving lots of good help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-17-2009, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 38
My $0.02:

I'd suggest painting the screen wall white and projecting on that for awhile. Get a feel for what size screen really works before you commit to a size. It's hard to judge dimensions from the photo, but I'd start with a 2.35 screen about the width of your existing entertainment center furniture. I'd guess that's about 135" wide. The height calculates to 56". 16:9 will fill an area of 99" x 56". Might be too big - not bright enough. When you think you're getting the size dialed in, put some borders on the wall with black paint or dark tape of some sort and spend more time with it. Any old flat wall paint should work for a temporary setup. Don't worry much about the texture at this point. It's not real distracting - for awhile.

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

post #3 of 5 Old 11-17-2009, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randybw1 View Post

Here is a picture of my current setup:

http://www.whitegang.com/build/current.jpg

The room dimensions are 25'x20'. The arrows are the dimensions of the proposed screen areal: 96x164 The front speakers are also 11 wide.

I want my DIY screen as large as possible. I have complete control of the room, I can do anything I want up there, wife is going to complain regardless, but it's my room. I also have full access all the way around and on top of it very easily. My main fear is for her to walk up there and say, the old/new tv looked just as good. I want it to look bigger obviously and much better.

I've read and read in the forums and have lots of info saved in a file. I want to do a 2.35:1 or maybe 2.37:1. We watch a lot of Movies up there and that's the primary focus for the screen. The PS3 is the Blu-Ray player, we play some Xbox 360, and watch HD Direct TV (Sports). Again, my main focus is movies, I can handle (for now anyway) the black bars.

The room is upstairs, that's why I have the 2 fans, very hot up there. I have the 4 can lights also. Other than that, it is pitch black. I realize the fans will have to go or at minimum be moved. Currently my Sub is at the very back corner of the room. At this time, I'm not interested in building a stage (but would if warranted), I just want a screen, I guess the center channel will have to be low and the mains on the outside of the screen, it's not the look I prefer, but it will work. I will be moving all of the components to a closet on the side towards the back or building something into the wall back there. I also realize my walls are too light, I'm willing to paint them to the best desired color.

I have ordered the Panasonic PT-AE4000 which will be delivered tomorrow. I still have to get a mount or build something to have it sit on. I'm a ways off, and in no hurry obviously other than pulling the trigger too quick on the Panasonic.

I'm pretty much open to any suggestions. I'm just now digging into posts about the types of screens. I had originally thought I would by a bundle with the projector and go with a 16x9. Then I decided Wilson Art was a good (cheaper) choice and to do the 2.35:1. Now I'm finding posts that claim 2.37:1 is the way to go, and the Wilson Art may not give me the Pop I desire, painting may need to get me where I want to be. I have lots of confusion at this point and have some really dumb, basic questions. Please reply to this thread or PM me what you think from experience. I think I'm handy enough to do all this. I'm going to buy a spray gun and I have no problems spraying paint. I would build the frame myself as well. I wouldn't mind doing a stage, if there is material out there that would work. I'm just trying to keep this project as cheap as possible.

1. What type of screen should I get? Fabric, Wilson Art, Thrifty White Utility Wall Paneling?
2. Can you paint the Wilson Art screen? Would you even want to? I'm really confused as to what people are painting, because my walls are textured.
3. If I paint the screen, what mixture should I use?
4. What size should I go with?
5. Of course, all the stuff I'm missing..

Thanks to everyone for sharing! I look forward to reading more and hopefully receiving lots of good help.

No advice here, but I admire you for getting "your" own room, unlike a lot of folks here .

tnt
post #4 of 5 Old 11-17-2009, 10:53 AM

Liked: 14
My room isn't in the attic, but it does have one ceiling fan in the center of the room.

I thought I might have to remove it, but I was able to position the projector to shoot just below the fan and it's lights. I did have to shorten the chains on the fan switches (lights and fan) though.

The fan is a nice addition in the summer. The one in there is quiet and came with the house. I'd just see first if you could leave them in. Especially if it's hot in there.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-17-2009, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
That's good to hear on the fan! I notice I don't see a lot of rooms with fans, I sure hope I can keep them. It's really hot up there.
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page