Working with Sinta board, to frame or not to? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 02-01-2010, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm ready to put my Sinta board 54"x96" up and am now debating whether or not i need to put it on a frame. What I'm thinking of doing is attaching the board directly to the wall, using 3/4" crown staples (delivered with my pneumatic stapler) all around the boarder. I will then add a velvet boarder over top of it made of 1x3s that i already do have constructed. The question is, does everyone that uses the PVC substrates, attach them to a frame first and then to the wall, or is there any harm in attaching it directly to the wall? Aside from the future and taking it down, moving it etc. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-01-2010, 09:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by NasDamus View Post

I'm ready to put my Sinta board 54"x96" up and am now debating whether or not i need to put it on a frame. What I'm thinking of doing is attaching the board directly to the wall, using 3/4" crown staples (delivered with my pneumatic stapler) all around the boarder. I will then add a velvet boarder over top of it made of 1x3s that i already do have constructed. The question is, does everyone that uses the PVC substrates, attach them to a frame first and then to the wall, or is there any harm in attaching it directly to the wall? Aside from the future and taking it down, moving it etc. Thanks!

I Primarily Screw or Glue it.

You should Screw it up. You won't need many screws (6 across the Top/Bottom - 3 down each side below/between the Corner Screws) and the Screws will be a lot easier to remove later. Use Coarse Threaded 1-5/5" Drywall Screws. They can hold the Sintra just fine even if all you do is go through only into Drywall. (...hit the studs every 16" and your completely cool...) Just don't over spin 'em...hand tighten them the last little bit.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #3 of 12 Old 02-02-2010, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

great, that was my other thought. I did that on a test strip i had from it getting cut down and it worked perfectly. Do you pre-drill for this or just screw them right in?
post #4 of 12 Old 02-02-2010, 09:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NasDamus View Post

great, that was my other thought. I did that on a test strip i had from it getting cut down and it worked perfectly. Do you pre-drill for this or just screw them right in?

Pre drilling will make for a safer install (...less chance you'll slip and gouge the material with the Screw tip....) Also, if your screwing into drywall only, knowing that the resistance you feel is only from the Drywall help prevent you from over tightening.

Lastly, you can use a Counter sink bit to put a slight depression into the surface of the Sintra so the Screw head will be more flush than otherwise, and that will also help you avoid the temptation to over tighten to get the Screws to recess into the surface.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #5 of 12 Old 02-03-2010, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I used velcro to mount my sintra.

tony4k
post #6 of 12 Old 02-03-2010, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
ah yes! the beauty and versatility of sintra/komatex/komacel/kydex. it's rigid and light and with a little bit of thought... no frame required.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-03-2010, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Where do you buy this stuff? How thick is it?
post #8 of 12 Old 02-04-2010, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

Where do you buy this stuff? How thick is it?

I've been thinking of redoing my screen for a while. I know you can find a local dealer through Alcan Composites USA site. They can also send you small samples. I found the gatorfoam and sintra to be really bright. The sintra has a slick surface on it, making it harder to roll paint on it.

Does anybody have experience painting gatorfoam? Will it warp if you apply some paint to it?
post #9 of 12 Old 02-04-2010, 06:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsegura3 View Post

I've been thinking of redoing my screen for a while. I know you can find a local dealer through Alcan Composites USA site. They can also send you small samples. I found the gatorfoam and sintra to be really bright. The sintra has a slick surface on it, making it harder to roll paint on it.

Does anybody have experience painting gatorfoam? Will it warp if you apply some paint to it?

I do....I have, no it won't....and it accepts paint very well. You'd do well...and much better to consider spraying on your paint though.

But at least GatorFoam has a very slight degree of texture (not really visible) to the touch, and being a textured material will grab a hold of paint better than a more slippery smooth surface will. I'd say you can roll onto it OK using a low nap Roller and the proper rolling technique. Or spray and get even better results without near the worry.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #10 of 12 Old 02-04-2010, 06:26 AM

Good info, thanks MM!
post #11 of 12 Old 02-04-2010, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

I originally was looking for Komatex board and found that one of their 3 distribution warehouses was actually here in Baltimore, MD. So i looked up on their site and called the 800-330-2239 number that was listed as "how to buy". The lady that answered the phone was extremely nice and helpful. I gave her my address and she gave me the number of 4 local distributors that sold to the public so i started with that. One of them had the Sinta board, which is exactly the same as Komatex. They had it for $38 out the door and i grabbed it the next day. Awesome stuff and semi durable (had to bow it a tad to get it in the 4runner due to some mis calculations, laid perfectly flat once i took it out with zero issues). Is 3mm, which is closer to 1/8" so had a few options for mounting. There was Velcro, 1/8" mirror holders and even screwing it directly to the wall. Since i'm adding a frame of 1x3s covered in velvet i am going to screw it directly to the wall and cover up those screws with the frame. Was going to go with the mirror clips but then it's stick off the wall a bit and make the frame a little harder to put over.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-04-2010, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I framed around my sintra instead of on it. I have a scope screen which measures
41"x96" and the company cut the sintra for me. Then I bought 3 1x3x96 pine and I cut 1 96" strip in half to make the sides, which amounts to 1 for the top and bottom and the two 48" on the sides. I wraped the frame in black velvet. The entire project with velcro ran me approximately $70.00

tony4k
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page