AVS Forum banner

Mitsubishi HC6500 silverscreen or other

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  MississippiMan 
#1 ·
I just replaced my Pan ax200u and using Silverscreen paint on my wall. Thinking about repainting my wall for the new Mitsubishi HC6500 FP that I just got. So which paint to use, I've got some ambient light in my family room.

See less See more
#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil /forum/post/18438264

I just replaced my Pan ax200u and using Silverscreen paint on my wall. Thinking about repainting my wall for the new Mitsubishi HC6500 FP that I just got. So which paint to use, I've got some ambient light in my family room.

What is "wrong" with the Silverscreen paint that you don't like it with the Mits? Answering that might help.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil /forum/post/18441300

Just want to see if there is something else to try out.

That sounds like someone has caught "The Bug".

"Something else" covers vast territory. but your expressed criteria/example suggests a bit more limited scope to consider.

The HC6500u is a slightly older model w/1200 lumens and 15,000:1 contrast (...the newer 6800u @1500 lumens & 30,000:1 ) It's not ever gonna be looking as "bright" as the 200u could manage. The SS certainly had to have helped the 200u's blacks, and the lumen punch of the 200u combined with the SS's Gray shade just as certainly made watching in ambient seem more than passably good.

Questions remain:
  • Will, or better still, CAN the large increase in On/Off Contrast offset the drop in Lumens?
  • Can a DIY screen surface provide both needed gain and contrast boosting?
  • Is there answers to both the above forthcoming?

You don't have to be a candidate for Mensa to just know the answer to all three is "yes".

.........can't hurt though........

Silver Screen is approx .85 gain. A 2.0 Silver fire surface is 1.1 to 1.2 gain. That's a big difference when comparing the intensity of bright colors and whites against the projected Blacks and Gray tones. Negative Gain can always make Blacks look "Blacker" but always it's at the expense of the viewed intensity of lighter hues. A Dull image

One thing that is unknown is how large the Screen was/is you are projecting on, and what your Throw distance would/will be...or how irreversible it already is.

You had SS. Did it contain any Poly? The use of such can perhaps boost SS into the .90/ .95 gain range via a modest increase in sheen-oriented reflection being introduced.

To get into really "positive gain" territory and do so with a Gray shade on board with you, you have to employ Metallics to one degree or another. Sometimes to both degrees and then some.

If you opt to go there, your potential screen size can increase a bit out of proportion to your Lumen output, and do so without sacrificing a vibrant image. Or, with a smaller Screen, your overall performance in all lighting situations will improve dramatically....in proportions more or less based on just how much or little light is involved. But always better than expected.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil /forum/post/18442779

MississippiMan.

Throw is 16' to 110" screen and SS with no POLY. I don't want to use Poly because I can see texture on the wall.

Well why not do something about that? ANY decent "Gray w/metallics" DIY paint that will perform out and beyond that of simple Grays w/wo Poly will also make texture or defects jump off the wall.

Really....and as you already know...a pure "Flat" is the most forgiving shade of Gray.

Unless your willing and/or able to consider a Substrate board that can accept a decent finish, or do what it takes within you given/desired Screen dimensions to make the surface acceptably smooth, that Wall will always remain a barrier of some sort to your plans for getting the best out of the HC6500u

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.