post #61 of 67 Old 05-17-2010, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adult Beverage View Post

A test panel of Behr SS+Poly covering half the sintra really looks good. I can't imagine how much better the RS-MM will be...

Save your test panel and when you are done you can put it up side be side and do the comparison. Let us know what you see.

Bud

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 67 Old 05-17-2010, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
MississippiMan, what do you think about the stretched fabric? Seems like a very versatile solution with few trade-offs.

Also for bud, I don't understand how your frame works - how can you expand a rectangular frame and still have square corners?
post #63 of 67 Old 05-17-2010, 10:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandPixel View Post

MississippiMan, what do you think about the stretched fabric? Seems like a very versatile solution with few trade-offs.

It's some good stuff, and requires far less "tensioning" to stretch out over a big-arsed framework. hence, the Frame itself can be lighter as well. However you are limited to the materials gain & texture as far as the usability factor. What you buy is what you use....no painting.

Quote:

Also for bud, I don't understand how your frame works - how can you expand a rectangular frame and still have square corners?

Bud can clarify things, but essentially each corner is "splined' and can be positioned outward from "flush" by adjusting the shown Threaded rods much the same way as you would use a Turn Buckle tightening system. Only reversed.

Absolutely you'd have to equalize the adjustments so as to create a accurate diagonal dimension, but the whole idea is not to have to make excessive adjustments. You hand pull/staple the fabric as best and as equally as you can, then adjust the Threaded rods only just enough to create a very taunt surface. That would/should be something along a 1/8" to at mos 1/4" adjustment. much more than that and you'd have "Fly apart" issues.

All of that makes for a Screen that is best left in one place...not jostled about...and certainly not repeatedly lifted and lowered into place.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #64 of 67 Old 05-17-2010, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

It's some good stuff, and requires far less "tensioning" to stretch out over a big-arsed framework. hence, the Frame itself can be lighter as well. However you are limited to the materials gain & texture as far as the usability factor. What you buy is what you use....no painting.

I was just talking about fabric in general, not necessarily canvas. I actually think that BOC would work better because it has a smoother surface. What did you mean by no painting?
post #65 of 67 Old 05-17-2010, 11:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandPixel View Post

I was just talking about fabric in general, not necessarily canvas. I actually think that BOC would work better because it has a smoother surface. What did you mean by no painting?

Sorry for the confusion...I somehow thought you were referring to "Spandex' since you said "Stretching" and I have mentioned Spandex as a potentially very viable alternative on the thread pertaining to Spandex Screen apps as well as on a few other threads as well..

Keep in mind that BOC and Canvas really do not "stretch" as much as they simply get "pulled" tighter. It's all that Pulling without much "give" that necessitates such BOC-Canvas Screen frames be pretty darn stiff and rigid.

That is why Bud's example looks like a version of "The Rack" After you pull the material tight, it would not take much "cork screw" adjustment to reach a "Drum head" tautness.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #66 of 67 Old 05-17-2010, 04:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Grand Pixel,

Check out Highside's Thread that has been recently been bumped up. It has a Frame/design that might be best suited for your needs.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1170037

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #67 of 67 Old 05-17-2010, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

I have seen that one, but I will read it again for details. Thanks for the link.

I was just thinking that this design might be ideal for me:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post12067722

I will add a center brace and internal corner braces. Also it seems that local metal shops typically can sell 1"x1" aluminum tubing longer than 8' if desired. I would like to use blackout cloth with binder clips. Seems like an inexpensive, lightweight, and sturdy frame. Then of course I can decide on a paint to spray onto the cloth. What do you think of this design?

As for hinging against the wall, I think I can come up with something creative that will allow a controlled rise/fall.
Reply DIY Screen Section

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page