post #61 of 79 Old 06-02-2010, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Yessir. Just tug enough to eliminate the wrinkles and get the fabric taunt. Too hard and the sharp corners and edges will show through or even penetrate the velvet.

Smart move. It doesn't take all that many, and if they are short they allow the trim to pull off quite easily.

That's what counts. very little exists out there in a fixed Screen that can equal the performance / cost ratio of a screen such as yours, and nothing that can garner you as much personal satisfaction over having has a hand in the creation thereof.

.....or you might not find 1/2 of the stuff. It's strange how one Store will carry something the other refuses to, and vice versa.

I think he's actually going to use his Lowes coupon and HD and getting a 10% discount.

Go Broncos!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 79 Old 06-02-2010, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Questions:
1. Bought 1" Galvanised 18 gauge finish nail - porter cable brand : I have Bostitch finish nailer which takes uo to 2 3/8".
what is meant by bright finish nails - mentioned by missisipi
2. Where should I start the nailin process?
3. How many nails i should put...?
4. Can i be able to lift the screen by touching the velvet trim? --
sorry - i have asked so many questions,....but i listen and follow - one day i will learn..lol..one fine day..
Help me out..

My First DIY Screen 120" Laminate Screen

Ongoing Build Thread Madras Talkies
post #63 of 79 Old 06-03-2010, 02:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I personally added a .75x.75x4 inch handle on the side of my screen screwed directly into the side of the frame with some heavy duty wood screws. I sanded it all around for a smooth feel and countersunk the screws and it really helps for lifting the screen without going to the bottom or touching the laminate. My trim border will come over the edge 1.25 inches so I should be able to use these handles rather than stress the trim and they will still be hidden.

Have you weighed your screen?

The laminate is close to 19-20lbs, so I'm guessing my screen is around 50lbs or so.

Btw that looks beautiful!

Go Broncos!
post #64 of 79 Old 06-03-2010, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaggeto View Post

Have you weighed your screen?

- Not yet..I have to calculate...
Sorry I couldn't imagine the way that u attached the velvet trim..could u please post some pics...

Questions:
5.When i nail it, i have to go through the laminate sheet ? is it ok !
6. During nailing - What is the plan b if the nail broke half way?

post #65 of 79 Old 06-03-2010, 07:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyakamaraj View Post

- Not yet..I have to calculate...
Sorry I couldn't imagine the way that u attached the velvet trim..could u please post some pics...

Questions:
5.When i nail it, i have to go through the laminate sheet ? is it ok !

HELL NO! Don't EVEN consider it or you'll be very sorry. Concussive penetration will crack the laminate

You should have enough wood to hit around the edges...and if not...ADD it!

Quote:

6. During nailing - What is the plan b if the nail broke half way?

Awwww....C'mon. I've never "broke" a nail while hammering...only bent them, and if you use 1" Bright "Finish" nails, you don't have much of a chance of even bending them before they sink through the MDF into the underlying Poplar.

I'm sorry, but really,the build you've attempted is obviously something a bit beyond the scope of what you should have attempted first off. You simply did not know (...or were not correctly advised of...) enough "right answers" before you jumped...a common mistake among aspiring and anxious DIY'ers. Trying to "learn" while doing only works if you don't get ahead of the info needed to do it right to begin with.

I will give you this much...at least you do go slow and ask before real disaster strikes. And what you do/have completed looks better than most beginners might accomplish.

So far....

Now add some wood strips around /on the sides and do it right.

Sorry for the intensity of my response this time around but it's frustrating to see a potentially great project headed down the tubes. (...nailing though Laminate....Gaaaaaaa!!!) Given the chance, I'd never of suggested Laminate for your project...too many "build issues' and limited usage. But we are already well past that point so just consider doing what NEEDS to be done and do it. PM me for complete instructions to salvage this project, then post the end results. You don't need (...or deserve...)any more public spankings.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #66 of 79 Old 06-03-2010, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Sorry for the intensity of my response this time around but it's frustrating to see a potentially great project headed down the tubes.

oops - I didnt mean to make u mad....its the good advise i will take it...

Quote:

PM me for complete instructions to salvage this project, then post the end results. You don't need (...or deserve...)any more public spankings.

hahaha..will do that...

Thanks budd...next post will be finished post... ..

post #67 of 79 Old 06-03-2010, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Is your trim going to extend past the frame at all, or are the borders of the trim flush with the edge of the frame?

Go Broncos!
post #68 of 79 Old 06-03-2010, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaggeto View Post

Is your trim going to extend past the frame at all, or are the borders of the trim flush with the edge of the frame?

border of the trim flush with the frame..

post #69 of 79 Old 06-04-2010, 12:38 AM
Advanced Member

then you might consider painting the edges of the frame. or get one of those FAT black permanant markers and black out the exposed edges of the frame. it'll give it a more finished look, if you're off to the side and can see the exposed frame.
post #70 of 79 Old 06-04-2010, 02:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

border of the trim flush with the frame..

A more important question; how much wood is available around the perimeter to attach the Trim to?

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #71 of 79 Old 06-04-2010, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

A more important question; how much wood is available around the perimeter to attach the Trim to?

after attachin the trims - underneath the trim - distance between laminate end and wood end ( available Wood) ( trim width is 3.25+velvet )
1. top - 2"
2. Bottom - 2"
3,4. Sides screwed up - 0.75"

post #72 of 79 Old 06-05-2010, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

huf....so far it looks ok..

Added the Velvet trim to the trim using Velcro Industrial Strip..Bought it from Michels using 40% coupon...It didnt push the trim too much...

Screen is really Heavy...got help from neighbour to hang it on wall..also added the Spacer in the bottom..

Big thanks to Mississippi, Knight, Bizzil & Vagetto....

post #73 of 79 Old 06-05-2010, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

bro, LOOKS GREAT! hurry up and fininsh the home theater and post some screenshots.

where are you going to place the center channel? below the screen and tilted upward? above the screen and pointed downward?
post #74 of 79 Old 06-06-2010, 02:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizill View Post

bro, LOOKS GREAT! hurry up and fininsh the home theater and post some screenshots.

I concur.

Quote:

where are you going to place the center channel? below the screen and tilted upward? above the screen and pointed downward?

A good question. I'd guess between the Framing above the Screen - dead center between the Floods.

BTW sathyakamaraj,

Consider changing out all those Flood bulbs to Spots, and using "Eye Lid" shields on the ones directly in front of, and closest to the screen. Those type shields will give a more directed 'wash' against the screen, and accommodate colored "Gels" to achieve an even more attractive effect.

Also, plan on having to mask off the sides of those column structures at either side of the Screen, as well as the rear-ward ceiling area that runs up against the Screen wall. Those surfaces are VERY close to the Screen and will have to be a very dark paint (Flat) or you'll need to use Black Velvet or something like the self adhesive Protostar Telescope Flocking
http://www.fpi-protostar.com/flock.htm
..............so as to prevent the insides of the screen enclosure from lighting up during bright scenes.
(...the Screen Wall itself receives almost no light from the Screen's output as so being is not any real concern.)

Not much else to critique....it all looks well thought out.

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #75 of 79 Old 06-06-2010, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

thanks buds...Yes center speaker will be installed on ceiling tilted down..I changed the layout just to get 120" Screen - so CS went up...

I will keep the screen for another 1 month hangin - then it will be in my other bedroon sitting..(for how long i really dont know) -

I will be buying 1" Linacoustic Roll sometimes next week + GOM fabric = which will cover the screen wall --

I think I wont be able to put rope lights behind the screen like i planned before...i have to read to find a way how to reflect it from behind the screen ...if not..cut..no rope light

post #76 of 79 Old 06-06-2010, 04:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

thanks buds...Yes center speaker will be installed on ceiling tilted down..I changed the layout just to get 120" Screen - so CS went up...

Told'cha so....

Quote:
I think I wont be able to put rope lights behind the screen like i planned before...i have to read to find a way how to reflect it from behind the screen ...if not..cut..no rope light

Nonsensical. I personally see no reason you cannot. The Build allows for it...all you have to do is space-out the Wall mounted part of the French Cleat with another 3/4" x 6" x *width*? of Plywood, and a correspondingly thick addition Spacer at the Bottom.

Home Depot sells 4' long pieces of Self-Adhesive Plastic "Cup Channel" for Rope Lighting in the Lighting Dept...right next to the inexpensive Rope Lighting.

I've used it plenty of times to great effect and with great success. You really do not want the Rope lighting to have much space between the Lights and the rear Wall. Choose your color with care.....the dark surrounding screen wall surface will gobble up the lumens. One way to increase your "behind the Screen reflectivity " is to apply Aluminum Foil 1.5" inside the outside perimeter of the Screen's Black Trim, but on the "WALL", not the Screen.

Also, be sure to get the type Rope Lighting that allows you to use a Dimmer (incandescent) less you determine that too often the lighting effect simply has to be "off" or "on" instead of blending in with the desired atmosphere.

So OK....your almost where you want to be...and now your tellin' us you have to wait some undetermined time to finish up the Room, eh?

Unacceptable!

I'm tellin' Logan on ya! He'll shame ya into hurryin' things along!

To quote James T. Kirk;
post #77 of 79 Old 06-06-2010, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Missisippi..
thanks..I will definitely take that into consideration...I wont give up the lighting option behind the screen (which i earlier planned for)...

I bought Lutron Grafiq Eye 6 Zone control....This rope light, Stage Rope light will be in one zone...probably I will merge the Perimeter Rope lighting on ceiling to this zone also..

I am planning to buy lights from 1000bulbs LED - they are dimmable accordin to spec and other AVS members are success with it..

post #78 of 79 Old 02-27-2011, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

thanks everyone...screen is awesome.............

Loved the projector, Axioms and Onkyo 3007 combination

tested and packed it...cant wait for final...little motivation after i saw movies and ps3 game

out of the box panny 4000u no calibration....(still learning how to take picture).

post #79 of 79 Old 02-28-2011, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice!

Ever since I got my screen up my theater progress has slowed to a crawl but hoping to make some big progress very soon!

Thanks to everyone! My screen has been great! and In 6+ months I haven't noticed any sagging.

Go Broncos!
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page