Gator"board" Screens are alive and looking gud in Nu Awleens - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 32 Old 05-31-2012, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Look to the RS-MaxxMudd threads.

How thick is your GB and how rigidly is it mounted?

Can you consider spraying to acheive the Thinnest and most precise finish?

The GB is 3/4 inch (minus 1/32 inch!). It's not rigid in the sense that I can't easily remove it. Removing it completely is a snap. It angles down about 3-4 degrees, sits loosely in a slot at the bottom and is held near the top from either side by pinching U-brackets that simply slide on/off.

I can take it out in the back yard and spray it, paint it, whatever (on a calm wind free day, of course).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 32 Old 06-01-2012, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post

The GB is 3/4 inch (minus 1/32 inch!). It's not rigid in the sense that I can't easily remove it. Removing it completely is a snap. It angles down about 3-4 degrees, sits loosely in a slot at the bottom and is held near the top from either side by pinching U-brackets that simply slide on/off.

I can take it out in the back yard and spray it, paint it, whatever (on a calm wind free day, of course).

Outdoor painting is a "Roll of the Dice" kinda thing, and the odds are stacked against you. Small insects like Gnats and such are attracted to the smell of Latex. It's a gamble, make no mistake. I've rolled those Dice myself...and won, but I've also had to deal with the "Snake Eyes" of embedded Bugs as well. Even inside, hair and dust can plague you, things that matter not when simply painting a wall, but that stand out when getting a perfectly smooth surface is both desirable "AND" essential.

Far better to mask off the interior with inexpensive plastic sheeting and spray, or on the very least roll on a coating. If the day is hot, and you "dust" on coats that dry quickly, spraying outside is doable, but then there is the carrying in and remounting of the material, another item that carries with it some risks.

Best to minimize every risk by increasing your "PITA" effort to set up an ideal painting environment.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page