Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 32 Old 06-03-2010, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Hello from my Bottom Dwelling domicile!

I have just recently completed a 2 day stint in New Orleans, LA where I obtained, hung, and painted a 104" x 56" x 1/2" piece of GatorFoam (White Paper -Laminated Expanded Foam Core Sheet)

Trim is 3.25" MDF Baseboard Trim (...from Lowes this time...) with stapled-on Black Velvet;
http://www.syfabrics.com/View.aspx/P...Velvet/681/264

The projector provided was LG's new 1080p Search Light bright unit(1400+ "calibrated" lumens!!!)...the CF181D ($2295.00)
http://www.projectorcentral.com/LG-C...ulator-pro.htm

The Screen paint is Silver Fire 6.0 (6 oz of SF colorant) and that amounts to a 'guesstimated' N7 surface.

I used a Wagner Control Spray Plus.
http://www.gleempaint.com/wagner-con...pray-plus.html
......with the Spray head off a older Control Spray unit (w/smaller Needle and Orifice)

1 Duster coat and 3 normal coats.

Viewed Content off a Sony Play Station 3 (BluRay) and DirectTV Receiver

Screen Shots below were taken with a Canon ELF 770 Pocket Camera, using no Tri-pod...hand held

104" x 56" GatorFoam Delivered

GatorFoam Hung w-Cardboard masking started.

Showing GatorFoam as being 1/2" thick

Cardboard masking in place and Ceiling Tape tabs ready.

Ceiling Plastic applied.

Mini-Paint Booth Enclosure completed. Ready to Squirt!

GatorFoam Complete...under Flash

"Who Dat Nation" Wins Superbowl!

Referees exchanging opinions,

A Cartoon Wedding

Bedside sympathy

Old man entering Old House

Old House in Ambient Light

Kitchen Table scene in Ambient Light

Old Curmudgeon at the Door

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 06-03-2010, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks too high.
Sitting in a couch would require you have your head pointing up all the time.
post #3 of 32 Old 06-03-2010, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonybuchanan View Post

Looks too high.
Sitting in a couch would require you have your head pointing up all the time.

A very astute observation, and one that would be absolutely dead on correct....if it was not for the fact that the seating in that 16' x 48' Room is down at the other end (35' away). When things are set up normally, there is a large, round table w/6 Chairs around it residing just 8' in front of the Screen wall. They plan on using both ends...and the middle of that Room during the Football / Baseball / Basketball seasons and they wanted that Screen to be clearly seen from any viewing position in the Room...and Kitchen.

The wall directly to the right is a large case opening w/Brkfst Bar leading into the Kitchen, while the wall to the left has two very large, draped windows, then a huge fire place, a short wall, a Corner cabinet for a 55" LED/LCD and A/V Gear, while the rear wall is all windows + a Rear door.

It is a typical Family Room / Dining Room combo...certainly nothing ideal for a "Theater". (...note the wall/ceiling color... ) But that was the only unobstructed wall big enough to put a large Screen, and besides all that...we are talkin' 'bout the "Who Dat" boys here. They will be standin' up milling about, suckin' Suds and Crayfish heads, and cozyin' up to within 3'-4' of the Screen to gawk at the image of the Saints doing the impossible.

...and with the bottom edge of the Screen at 50" off the Floor, they won't even have their heads get in the way.

I wasn't drunk....(...well, almost...) but I'll say this, after 4-5 beers it was not easy to negotiate shuffling sideways back and forth on a 2" x 12" x 10' Plank set on top those 6 "covered" Dining Room Chairs. I had to do that or I'd never have been able to reach the top rows of the Screen (7' to 10')

I was remiss for not elaborating enough as to the design of the room...and why it is as it is. But thanks for your observation! It gave me another excuse to wax on....wax off.

Anyone else wanna risk it?

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #4 of 32 Old 06-03-2010, 08:18 PM

okedoke
post #5 of 32 Old 06-03-2010, 09:17 PM

Thats a really great job.

48' is a huge room.

My livingroom/kitchen/diningroom is 25' X 45'.
post #6 of 32 Old 06-11-2010, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Looks good. Where did you get your gator board from? I want to get one in the 130" range. Also, why did you not just paint it outside or in the garage to not have to make that "quarantine" tent?
post #7 of 32 Old 06-11-2010, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
You d'man...looking good err...excellent .

How do you keep the gatorboard from warping. I've tried painting foamcore made for artists, photo displaying, etc. and it warps after the paint dries. It's also half-inch stuff.
post #8 of 32 Old 06-11-2010, 03:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Riddle me this .. why did my brain think oil slick when I saw your thread..??

And what the heck is gator board .. ?? Do they water board gators with it and it doubles as a projection screen..??

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #9 of 32 Old 06-11-2010, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakersin2025 View Post

Looks good. Where did you get your gator board from? I want to get one in the 130" range. Also, why did you not just paint it outside or in the garage to not have to make that "quarantine" tent?

Local Plastic Supply house in New Orleans (Piedmont Plastics)

Whenever possible I prefer to paint a big screen "in place" to avoid handling issues that can smudge or mess with an otherwise perfect surface. Also, with the board in place, little chance exists that I'll have Edge Vortex issues where the edges get less paint than the center. That always happens if a Board is "free standing" and the edges are not backed with material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123 View Post

You d'man...looking good err...excellent .

How do you keep the gatorboard from warping. I've tried painting foamcore made for artists, photo displaying, etc. and it warps after the paint dries. It's also half-inch stuff.

Well this time it was easy since the screen is screwed onto the wall all around the perimeter. If I can get it, I prefer Sintra since it's a "Solid" Foam product and it doesn't warp.....ever.

QUOTE=mgkdragn;18763906]Riddle me this .. why did my brain think oil slick when I saw your thread..??[/quote]

Blessedly there was no oil encroaching around N.O. while I was there...but first of next week I'm back down along the coast in Pass Christian, Mississippi...that's about 20 miles west of Gulfport, MS. There's a good (awful) chance there will be some oil coming in by then. I'm sick....

Quote:

And what the heck is gator board .. ?? Do they water board gators with it and it doubles as a projection screen..??

It's a lightweight Expanded Foam material laminated on both sides with a bright white plasticized Paper.

BTW, they don't torture Gators down thar bouts....they're much more humane. Dey eats 'em.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #10 of 32 Old 06-12-2010, 12:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Very cool! Another masterpiece. Why am I not surprised? You da man MM!
post #11 of 32 Old 06-13-2010, 07:08 AM

I love it. I just have to find a foamcore supplier up here north of the border now.
post #12 of 32 Old 06-13-2010, 02:35 PM
Vao

Its Brilliant!

JVC DLA-X35, 150" 2.35:1 Flat Screen
post #13 of 32 Old 06-13-2010, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

MMan,

What thickness & model # of Sintra do you recommend for use "as is" ? In your experience is the Sintra product more costly than GatorBoard ?

Thanks!

John
post #14 of 32 Old 06-14-2010, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGTX View Post

MMan,

What thickness & model # of Sintra do you recommend for use "as is" ? In your experience is the Sintra product more costly than GatorBoard ?

Thanks!

John

If the board is to "free hang" without benefit of a supportive Frame...only Screen Trim (or with none), the 1/2' variety is best.

With a Framework, of if it's screwed or glued directly to the wall, 3/16" thickness is plenty.

Yes...it's more expensive than GatorFoam. Usually by about 25%

1. Sintra is a pure, expanded PVC Foam of higher density. It's more "Solid"...less "foamy".**

2. It's surface is far less susceptible to dents.

3. For a given thickness, it's more rigid, yet still quite flexible

**GatorFoam is less dense and each side is laminated with a bright white "Plasticized" paper. The lack of density means a hard pressed Fingertip will leave a dent.

Even so, it's still way more forgiving to damage than conventional Screen material, and it's lightweight flexibility allows for easy transport / carrying. You just need to treat the side you want perfect with due care and respect.

Th Sintra as well, but it's still gonna allow for a flub up more than GatorFoam.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #15 of 32 Old 06-14-2010, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks M-Man.

Would dbl sided tape work well to mount the Sintra or GatorBoard to an AL frame, like the "QuickFrame" series
of tubing from 8020 (ref build by AVS member 20fan ) ?

Would it be easier / work best to attach the tape to the frame first & then lay the board or the other way around ?

John
post #16 of 32 Old 06-14-2010, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGTX View Post

Thanks M-Man.

Would dbl sided tape work well to mount the Sintra or GatorBoard to an AL frame, like the "QuickFrame" series
of tubing from 8020 (ref build by AVS member 20fan ) ?

Would it be easier / work best to attach the tape to the frame first & then lay the board or the other way around ?

John

I would suppose that if the entire perimeter was "Taped' it would be OK.

I personally would attach the tape to the Frame because the Board can bend to allow you to be certain of getting a correct "Lay'

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #17 of 32 Old 06-15-2010, 09:32 AM
Vao

May be my question its stupid but how did you connect the black borders for the gatorboard!? I'm looking for nice and clean idea and something makes me thinking that you have it! :P

I know that you're very busy so I patiently waiting for your respond

post #18 of 32 Old 06-15-2010, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vao View Post

May be my question its stupid....

Awww, don't beat yourself up. How could you know?

Quote:
....but how did you connect the black borders for the gatorboard!? I'm looking for nice and clean idea and something makes me thinking that you have it! :P

I know that you're very busy so I patiently waiting for your respond

Wait no mo'

Since the GatorFoam Board was screwed directly onto the wall approximately 1" inside the outside edges, I simply used 1.5" Finish nails hammered in and through the Black Velvet / MDF Trim. I then sank the nail heads beneath the surface of the Black Velvet using a "Nail Set".

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #19 of 32 Old 06-15-2010, 12:47 PM
Vao

thanks I got it!

post #20 of 32 Old 06-16-2010, 07:03 AM

can you explain the choice of Silver Fire 6.0 . How come you went so dark, anything in particular you wanted to achieve ?
post #21 of 32 Old 06-18-2010, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarks View Post

can you explain the choice of Silver Fire 6.0 . How come you went so dark, anything in particular you wanted to achieve ?

As in any such choice of Silver Fire over 4.0 the primary reason would be to enhance the viewing potential in higher levels of ambient light. (...and providing one has enough lumens to combine with the chosen SF shade...)

As seen, the room is not dedicated to Controlled Lighting Theater watching...it's quite a light colored room, so it would have to deal with quite a bit of reflected Screen output when the lightes are off, and the majority of watching will be done will considerable light present. The LG PJ is the brightest 1080p PJ under 10k. Hence the choice of a darker shade of Silver Fire

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #22 of 32 Old 06-18-2010, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I still haven't called Piedmont in ATL for pricing. Since I can't set my pj up here, I will give it another try in SoFL.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
post #23 of 32 Old 05-27-2012, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakersin2025 View Post

I've been using a piece of "gator board" since early 2004, the only screen I've ever had and I have no experience of any meaning with other screens. However, I love this screen, it's bright white, not glossy (flat), great reflectivity, I've never painted it. However, I was using it with a not so hot contrast Sanyo PLV-Z2 projector and had the idea I'd get better contrast if I painted it. I bought a gallon of Misty Evening from Home Depot with the intention of painting one side. If I didn't care for it, I'd just turn it back over (it's the same on both sides, AFAIK).

That gator board, being a "dirty" piece (i.e. imperfect) was a deal I suppose at $48. It's 4x7 feet, and I'm projecting on ~96" diagonal with a throw distance just under 10 feet in a virtually totally darkened room. I'm going to paint the ceiling and maybe some of the wall surfaces with a very dark grey (bought the paint already at Home Depot) within a week or so.

The piece I got was from a local art supply store, Amsterdam Art in Berkeley, CA. It was a second, so to speak, was dirty on one side, virtually perfect on the other and I've been using the better side this whole time. It looks as good as the day I got it, I believe. I have it sitting in a groove I made on a shelf, and it has two DIY brackets holding it from the top-middle sides, tethered with string, which is adjustable, so that I can angle the screen to face down a few degrees. This enables me to get my projector pointing at the center to eliminate keystone effect and also makes the screen more or less immune from dust. I've never had to dust it. I could buy a $400 screen but doubt it would be much better if any.

I bought an Epson 8700ub projector with 200000:1 contrast ratio a few weeks ago and the blacks/contrast are so stellar I doubt I'll use that Misty Evening, however I may do it on the "dirty" side of the screen to see if I like it (I have the paint, hopefully still good), if I don't like it I can always turn the screen back over.

It's hard for me to imagine that it would be worth my time and money to replace what I'm using with a commercially available screen.
post #24 of 32 Old 05-27-2012, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Owwww.....,

Misty Evening hasn't been suggested, let alone reccomended for over 7 years!

It has too much of a decided push into Blue. Any simple, "Neutral Gray" of the same shade of Gray as the ME would serve you much better.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #25 of 32 Old 05-29-2012, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

Owwww.....,

Misty Evening hasn't been suggested, let alone reccomended for over 7 years!

It has too much of a decided push into Blue. Any simple, "Neutral Gray" of the same shade of Gray as the ME would serve you much better.

Ah, lots of people were using and recommending Misty Evening back when, so I bought a gallon, never got around to opening it! I had no idea that it had fallen out of favor or that it has a blue bias.

I painted the ceiling of my home theater room yesterday afternoon, a dark flat grey, almost black. It's from Home Depot, Behr, and the guy behind the counter said it was the best, a sort of paint/primer combo, cost over $30 for the gallon. I only used about 1/3 of the can on the ceiling, just a single coat with some touching up. It's supposed to be flat but to me it looks like a semi-gloss, well not as flat as I expected.

I haven't turned the projector on yet, figure I'll watch something tonight and decide if it's necessary to do something with the walls. I could paint the whole room with this stuff, but the room would be decidedly dungeon-like if I do. Someone suggested painting the room maroon with gold trim like an art-deco movie house. Maybe I'll do that for the fun and glory of it. With the ceiling close to black the room may need little to nothing more. However, I'm thinking at least the portion of the walls near and perpendicular to the screen might need something.
post #26 of 32 Old 05-29-2012, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Yeah. Early model LCDs tossed images that themselves often had decernable puses. And they lacked contrast to a fault. Misty Evening had too main components that worked together. Green and Blue. The Green cast within the Gray helped deepen blacks, while the Blue proponent helped whites looke whiter. (...think "Blueing Agents"...)

Combine all that with the average LCD PJ's output, and the results were stunning. A sharp, ultra crisp image whose darkness masked SDE, made blacks look inky, and didn't grossely attenuate whites.

A "OCW".....one of the first. Courtesy of ....pause for effect.....the notiable CMRA.

...../who later took a LOT of flack for keeping the ME Thread alive...well after PJ performance made such overcorrection in a screen finish necessary.

But your own thoughts and rememberences give testimony on just how "valid" the 'ol ME really was. It's perhaps neck and neck with Behr Silver Screen, (the latter being originally a Glidden color) for top honors as the most vernerable of all such OTC...OCW.....crap easy screen paint solution ever..

Because the truth of it is, if you "DID" decide to spray a precision coating of ME onto a well prepped, well primed surface, the end result coming from a 2000 lumen 1080p w/50,000:1 cr would still look incredible...and the "pushes....easily calibrated for.

I'm just sayin'

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #27 of 32 Old 05-30-2012, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I see, OK, thanks for the cool explanation. May I please ask a question?

With my new Epson 8700ub with its 200000:1 CR, do you think I should just stick with plain unfinished white Gator Board, or should I think about a different screen or maybe painting one side of the Gator Board?

I checked out my home theater room last night and watched a few things and it looks pretty good with the ceiling painted almost black. Wish that paint was flatter, but the effect overall is good. Need to paint the side walls, think I'll just go with more of that almost-black stuff. I haven't even calibrated the PJ. Just got my BD player yesterday, haven't cracked it out of the box yet. I needed that to run the 709 calibration disk, it'll only run on a BD player. I have DVE Essentials DVD version, though, which I could run on my DVD player. Over the next week or so I'll take a crack at some calibration using the 709 disk I figure.
post #28 of 32 Old 05-30-2012, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Muse,

If you can acquire the Sintra instead of the Gatorfoam (GF) , I'd suggest that instead. The only reason I went with GF in this case was because that was the only 5' x 10' Expanded Foam material they had available in the area. I knew it would work....if not dented or scratched, and luckily one side was pristine.

Personally, any material you can dent with a firm press of a finger I'm not too crazy about. Sintra isn't indestructible, but if it comes to you with at least one good side, it's far more resistant to damage than is GF.

As far as shooting firctly onto either material, well...the GF does have a flatter finish, so it tends to hot spot less. But both being essentially white material does little to enhance contrast or colors when there is "ANY" degree of light present.

The 8700ub is one of my favorite PJs, and I do appreciate it's ultra high "On-Off" contrast. But even with all that, if a choice is made to apply a Gray surface, the the assist the 8700ub gets in creating a deeper Black Floor takes any doubt about achieving CRT-like blacks and tosses it out of the building.

To quote James T. Kirk;

post #29 of 32 Old 05-30-2012, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I have my piece of Gator board in a situation where it is not subject to damage, it's really virtually perfect after close to 9 years, I think.

What do you suggest for applying a "Gray surface," as you say? Paint? With primer? Thread? Thanks a bunch!!
post #30 of 32 Old 05-31-2012, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse View Post

I have my piece of Gator board in a situation where it is not subject to damage, it's really virtually perfect after close to 9 years, I think.

What do you suggest for applying a "Gray surface," as you say? Paint? With primer? Thread? Thanks a bunch!!

Look to the RS-MaxxMudd threads.

How thick is your GB and how rigidly is it mounted?

Can you consider spraying to acheive the Thinnest and most precise finish?

To quote James T. Kirk;

Reply DIY Screen Section

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page